I seem to be having an issue with creatures not spawning at all with the latest version

I am at my usual test spot on the road from Fort Greymoor (towards Markarth), have both skeever and goat pheromones but nothing seems to be happening. I've reset SL animation registry just in case but it's not worked. I've tested over a number of game hours as well.

I'll try a reinstall but I'm wondering if it's a potential issue with the RNG

EDIT: Did some further testing. A reload got the goat to work, I tried a second reload and waited 2 hours and I got a sabrecat instead of a skeever. Something does seem a bit odd with the timers and since v1.19 the right creature doesn't always seem to spawn, so I suspect my earlier test was inadequate as it was just a reinstall and a pheromone applied. In this game I picked up the skeever pheromone from a skeever attack the goat from drinking water. Looking at the log it seems to be something with the actoralias perhaps

Papyrus.0.log

EDIT2: Reloaded and retested again (animation reset) skeever pheromone only and it didn't fire at all.

I did wonder about something else from the test in EDIT1, I untoggled stealth to see what pheromones were active is it possible that some are still hidden?

3 hours ago, Reesewow said:

Minor suggestion - I think it may be time to stick the most of the previous changelogs into a spoiler, since right now 3/4 of the length of the download page is all changelog. :classic_tongue:  Altho it is a bit of a statement to how much work you've done on the mod in the short time since its release!

lol yeah, you're probably right...

2 hours ago, gtcard said:

i'm wondering if there's a way to control the variables involved in this mod when testing it? i drank 3 pots and ingested wolf troll and canine pheromones, and stood in a "wilderness" location for over 30 real time minutes, with nothing spawning. i have had creatures also spawn in the exact same spot, and play a scene as it is supposed to, so it should be considered a wilderness area. i'm not sure why there's such a variance in the time, and i'm trying to figure out if it's something i'm doing on my end which isn't fulfilling the requirements for a spawn to trigger, or if i'm just bad luck with the spawn randomizer, or if the mod just isn't working. 

So the 'timers' can already be controlled in the MCM, these are the normal attack and fast attack timers, normal is for when you have any pheromones applied, and fast is for when you have strong pheromones applied in addition.

Keep in mind 'Wilderness' for the purposes of this Mod is unnamed cells, so the test for Wilderness is PlayerRef.GetCurrentLocation() == None. - This actually will return true for most cells in the game, but, if you are say standing in the 'wilderness' outside of a major hold, most of those cells are still tied to the hold and aren't technically unnamed or wilderness, it might return something like 'WhiterunExterior14' etc. - so you have to go out a ways.

There's a list on the front page showing where creatures can spawn for each creature type. For instance, if you wanted to spawn Chaurus, you could do it in Wilderness, Mines, Dungeons, or Falmer Hives, so if in doubt, you might try going to more specific locations. Since the timer is based on game time, usually the easiest way to check is just to 'wait' in one of these locations. But there are a couple of other things that can cause a spawn to 'skip' a cycle, these include being in an active sex scene and being in combat...

I could throw a debugger toggle in the MCM if people want so it will show debugs as to why a spawn might not be happening. For instance, it might say 'not in valid location' for people that are standing too close to Whiterun and are trying to spawn in the 'wilderness'...

2 hours ago, Reesewow said:

MoreNastyCritters (Leito animations)

• LeitoCanineMFC
  • LeitoCanineMFC2
  • LeitoCanine Noncon

Anubs SLAL pack

• Anubs Troll FFM Threesome
  • Anubs Werewolf Consentual FFM Threesome
  • Anubs Male Female Wolf
  • Anubs Male Female Dog

Ok thanks, that's good to know! Yeah, I think I will add these in.

2 hours ago, Reesewow said:

Random question - how does the gargoyle version (and likely these other options if you choose to add them) trigger?  Is it a chance with gargoyle pheromones, chance with vampire pheromones or do you need gargoyle and vampire at the same time?  I only ask because if it is the latter, I think it would be extremely rare for these types of animations to trigger... moreso personally because I've had vampires disabled since they are essentially just humanoid NPCs and I have other mods that cover those animations happening randomly.

As for your Gargoyle question, there is a chance if you have only Gargoyle or only Vampire pheromones, it can actually be triggered by either one. At a glance it's about a 17% chance if you have Gargoyle Pheromones (3 out of 18 possible combinations), and it's actually a 50% chance with Vampire pheromones...

1 hour ago, Reesewow said:

Unfortunate mod conflict to report due to the change you added to have creatures spawn with very high arousal - the creatures are being picked up by the Aroused Creatures mod since they are not considered to be in combat and have arousal over the threshold set in that mod's MCM menu.  This was likely a possible issue before the change, but rarely came up as creatures would typically be killed or catch the player before arousal had a chance to properly calculate and pick a random value over the Aroused Creature threshold (or if a user had a very low arousal value for AC).  With them starting at high arousal however, Aroused Creatures can pick them up in seconds and send them after a nearby follower or NPC, over-riding their pheromones AI.

Ahhh, damn. I actually added the arousal to increase compatibility with SSO, and I did like the fact that the creatures had hard-ons during the chase... There's always a trade-off lol...

I think the simplest would be to just do another 'is_intalled' bool and wrap the initial arousal into that. It will simply add arousal if aroused creatures is not installed, and forego it if it is... Then it's even more foolproof because people don't have to worry about the settings, it will take care of it automatically...

29 minutes ago, Hugh Reckum said:

So the 'timers' can already be controlled in the MCM, these are the normal attack and fast attack timers, normal is for when you have any pheromones applied, and fast is for when you have strong pheromones applied in addition.

Keep in mind 'Wilderness' for the purposes of this Mod is unnamed cells, so the test for Wilderness is PlayerRef.GetCurrentLocation() == None. - This actually will return true for most cells in the game, but, if you are say standing in the 'wilderness' outside of a major hold, most of those cells are still tied to the hold and aren't technically unnamed or wilderness, it might return something like 'WhiterunExterior14' etc. - so you have to go out a ways.

There's a list on the front page showing where creatures can spawn for each creature type. For instance, if you wanted to spawn Chaurus, you could do it in Wilderness, Mines, Dungeons, or Falmer Hives, so if in doubt, you might try going to more specific locations. Since the timer is based on game time, usually the easiest way to check is just to 'wait' in one of these locations. But there are a couple of other things that can cause a spawn to 'skip' a cycle, these include being in an active sex scene and being in combat...

I could throw a debugger toggle in the MCM if people want so it will show debugs as to why a spawn might not be happening. For instance, it might say 'not in valid location' for people that are standing too close to Whiterun and are trying to spawn in the 'wilderness'...

when i went back to version 1.1.9 (was testing with 1.2.0 earlier), i see a message "your holes are already stuffed!" periodically, which i believe is a message for when creatures are supposed to spawn, but failed to. i'm at a loss as to why this is however, since i'm not doing anything at the time this message shows up. i saw the message twice, roughly 5 minutes or so apart, which corresponds to the 2.5 game hour cooldown timer in MCM. 

1 hour ago, Slorm said:

I seem to be having an issue with creatures not spawning at all with the latest version

I am at my usual test spot on the road from Fort Greymoor (towards Markarth), have both skeever and goat pheromones but nothing seems to be happening. I've reset SL animation registry just in case but it's not worked. I've tested over a number of game hours as well.

I'll try a reinstall but I'm wondering if it's a potential issue with the RNG

EDIT: Did some further testing. A reload got the goat to work, I tried a second reload and waited 2 hours and I got a sabrecat instead of a skeever. Something does seem a bit odd with the timers and since v1.19 the right creature doesn't always seem to spawn, so I suspect my earlier test was inadequate as it was just a reinstall and a pheromone applied. In this game I picked up the skeever pheromone from a skeever attack the goat from drinking water. Looking at the log it seems to be something with the actoralias perhaps

Papyrus.0.log

EDIT2: Reloaded and retested again (animation reset) skeever pheromone only and it didn't fire at all.

I did wonder about something else from the test in EDIT1, I untoggled stealth to see what pheromones were active is it possible that some are still hidden?

I'm trying to think through what might be happening here, I'm also adding a debug feature so people might be able to get more info on the behind the scenes processes so we could isolate issues better.

I did a test with Goats and Skeevers and was getting only those 2 specifically, so I wasn't able to recreate this issue, but I'll see if there's any places to increase script stability, and then with the debugs maybe it will help to sort it out...

7 minutes ago, gtcard said:

when i went back to version 1.1.9 (was testing with 1.2.0 earlier), i see a message "your holes are already stuffed!" periodically, which i believe is a message for when creatures are supposed to spawn, but failed to. i'm at a loss as to why this is however, since i'm not doing anything at the time this message shows up. i saw the message twice, roughly 5 minutes or so apart, which corresponds to the 2.5 game hour cooldown timer in MCM. 

"your holes are already stuffed!" is a message that will show up if the Player is already active in SexLab

This has to return true in order for that message to show up:

Sexlab.IsActorActive(PlayerRef)

This is generally set automatically by Sexlab when you're in a sex scene and removed after it's finished. But somehow maybe yours got stuck on?

My PC was unlucky enough to contract Draugr pheromones just as she entered Wolfskull Cave.  She made it all the way through and started battling the necromancers trying to bind Potema, but right after killing the first of them she was taken in a four way draugr gangbang.  Fortunately her follower was able to finish off the battle for her.  Nice mod!

17 minutes ago, Hugh Reckum said:

"your holes are already stuffed!" is a message that will show up if the Player is already active in SexLab

This has to return true in order for that message to show up:

Sexlab.IsActorActive(PlayerRef)

This is generally set automatically be Sexlab when you're in a sex scene and removed after it's finished. But somehow maybe yours got stuck on?

i think sexlab sexlife just fired a round of checks with my followers talking with each other at around the same time pheromones did a check, and i suspect it's probably sexlife which flagged the player as active for its check. i reloaded the same save from the same spot, coc to whiterun right away (my followers are left in bruma), and the pheromone summon script seems to fire just fine. this is on version 1.1.9. i did the exact same thing on 1.2.0, but no creatures were ever spawned in 1.2.0.

i also noticed something with group creature animations just now: pheromones decided to spawn a 3 actor scene with canines, of which there are a few (FCC) from billyy and anub. however there are i believe 3 MFC anims from leito which also use canines, and those were pulled into the animation pool (i checked with hitting H on Sexlab Tool's menu to see available animations in current tag pool). pheromones selected to play a MFC animation with PC and 2 dogs, and while the PC and one of the dogs played just fine, the 2nd dog stood there since that actor slot is reserved for a Male actor. before i go any further;

i just wanna say it's amazing that you have come up with a way to start 3+ actor creature animations without manual input. while the option to begin a sex scene manually has always been around, it's difficult to find mods where the player doesn't have to initiate each and every scene. even more so when creatures are involved. and then, even more so still when more than 1 creature is involved. to be able to see these scenes happen on its own is something that's been missing for far too long. 

now that being said; i'm wondering if you have any idea of how to narrow down the 3p canine anims so that the mod can differentiate between FCC anims and MFC anims? i know leito has 3 MFC anim and anub has 1 or 2, with dogs/wolves as well. i wish i can help you with this, but my understanding is MFC has historically been very finicky with the order actors are assigned, to avoid the wrong actor being loaded into the wrong slot ie: M into F slot or F into C slot. i have no idea how feasible it is to script this distinction into the mod, but i do have a suggestion for how to handle a MFC situation: since dremora seems to use regular SL anims and they are handled as normal males are, i think when a 3 actor creature scene is initiated, and it's a MFC scene, maybe dremoras can be spawned as the Male actor for the scene?

Update:

• Added a debug feature that can be toggled in MCM.
    • With this feature active, the Player will receive notifications about what is happening behind the scenes in the Mod. This can help to isolate issues that come up and will help the Player diagnose why something might not be spawning (invalid location, SexLab active, Flagged as In Combat etc.)
    •  It can also help me figure out what's going on in the support section by making things easier to track down based on more detail when people report.
  • The Mod will do a check if SexLab Aroused Creatures is installed, and if it is, it will not increase creature arousal before attacks.
    • This should fix compatibility issues with SexLab Aroused Creatures, the one downside, Creatures will not have boners when chasing the Player if SexLab Aroused Creatures is also installed.
  • Added a feature to check on Game Load that will clear hold-over magic effects that aren't legit for currently active Pheromones.
    •  This might help with updates because it will clear magic effects that may have been stuck on the Player from a previous version if those magic effects don't actually correspond with active pheromones. - This is mainly to help get a clean slate between updates if there's some stuff lingering from the last version.   
  • The script will also do a check and clean out invalid creatures from the active array if the corresponding magic effects aren't also active. - This was already done on pheromones clearing, but I added it in the loop as well before evaluating creature spawns, so it may help to resolve 'wrong creature spawning' type issues.
2 hours ago, PubliusNV said:

My PC was unlucky enough to contract Draugr pheromones just as she entered Wolfskull Cave.  She made it all the way through and started battling the necromancers trying to bind Potema, but right after killing the first of them she was taken in a four way draugr gangbang.  Fortunately her follower was able to finish off the battle for her.  Nice mod!

;)

2 hours ago, gtcard said:

i think sexlab sexlife just fired a round of checks with my followers talking with each other at around the same time pheromones did a check, and i suspect it's probably sexlife which flagged the player as active for its check. i reloaded the same save from the same spot, coc to whiterun right away (my followers are left in bruma), and the pheromone summon script seems to fire just fine. this is on version 1.1.9. i did the exact same thing on 1.2.0, but no creatures were ever spawned in 1.2.0.

i also noticed something with group creature animations just now: pheromones decided to spawn a 3 actor scene with canines, of which there are a few (FCC) from billyy and anub. however there are i believe 3 MFC anims from leito which also use canines, and those were pulled into the animation pool (i checked with hitting H on Sexlab Tool's menu to see available animations in current tag pool). pheromones selected to play a MFC animation with PC and 2 dogs, and while the PC and one of the dogs played just fine, the 2nd dog stood there since that actor slot is reserved for a Male actor. before i go any further;

i just wanna say it's amazing that you have come up with a way to start 3+ actor creature animations without manual input. while the option to begin a sex scene manually has always been around, it's difficult to find mods where the player doesn't have to initiate each and every scene. even more so when creatures are involved. and then, even more so still when more than 1 creature is involved. to be able to see these scenes happen on its own is something that's been missing for far too long. 

now that being said; i'm wondering if you have any idea of how to narrow down the 3p canine anims so that the mod can differentiate between FCC anims and MFC anims? i know leito has 3 MFC anim and anub has 1 or 2, with dogs/wolves as well. i wish i can help you with this, but my understanding is MFC has historically been very finicky with the order actors are assigned, to avoid the wrong actor being loaded into the wrong slot ie: M into F slot or F into C slot. i have no idea how feasible it is to script this distinction into the mod, but i do have a suggestion for how to handle a MFC situation: since dremora seems to use regular SL anims and they are handled as normal males are, i think when a 3 actor creature scene is initiated, and it's a MFC scene, maybe dremoras can be spawned as the Male actor for the scene?

I see what you're saying and agree that this is kind of a problem. Some of this can be resolved with having 'Check Creature Gender' selected in the Animation options in SexLab. For instance, Billyy's new FFC Gargoyle animation will be resolved by this because I have the correct creature genders set up for all creatures in this Mod. Both Gargoyles will spawn as Males, and so FFC will not be returned when the Check Creature Genders is toggled on in SL.

But yes, MFC is more tricky. Technically, I could probably solve it, it would be done with an animation override method similar to what DD uses for overriding bound animations. But, I feel like this would probably be better resolved upstream, either at MNC or SexLab, because effectively an invalid animation is getting called.

I am handling the 'Call 3-Actor animation using valid actors' part, and SexLab / MNC should return 'Valid animation based on Race and Gender', but this second part is getting goofed up because it doesn't seem to consider both Race and Gender for the M in MFC, M is valid for NPC non-creature only, but unfortunately it's returning a creature to that slot and effectively selecting an invalid animation from the animation pool as a result. It's as if there's a bool to check if it is a creature, but the inverse bool logic 'if it is not a creature' is not being used for M and MFC. 

I'll ask around and see if there might be some way to get this sorted out..

hi,

first, i want to point out that i like your mod. next to defeat, this is the only mod that implements creature action, somewhat immersivly.

but, because of your mod i suddenly stumbled over something: my DREMORA have NO SCHLONGS!

i know, this is not caused by your mod, but i thought/hoped you, or someone here, could point me into the right direction to solve this problem.

i'm using creature feature, more nasty critters, and bad dogs mods for SoS and immersive creatures and somehow the dremora must have slipped through. maybe because they do not count as regular creatures and use normal "human" animations.

19 hours ago, Hugh Reckum said:

I'm trying to think through what might be happening here, I'm also adding a debug feature so people might be able to get more info on the behind the scenes processes so we could isolate issues better.

I did a test with Goats and Skeevers and was getting only those 2 specifically, so I wasn't able to recreate this issue, but I'll see if there's any places to increase script stability, and then with the debugs maybe it will help to sort it out...

I've spent some time thinking about this, sorry this may turn into a long post. Intermittent bugs are always the worst as reproducing them is a matter of luck

There seem to be two issues which are separate from each other , one is the creature substitution and the other is the timer. I realised as well that I accidentality threw in some red herrings in my earlier post so I'll lay them to rest before I carry on:

1/ Regarding if untoggling stealth was revealing all pheromone, I'd forgotten that when I tested the problem we discussed earlier in v1.19 where I was getting wolves when I had boar pheromone applied I had tested without any pheromone at all and no wolves appeared but did when I reapplied the boar pheromone, so it's nothing to do with stealth

2/ Touch of numpty thinking by me, resetting the SL animation registry will only affect things if animations are not correctly playing. It won't affect the timer in any way I must have been drunk when I suggested that (in fact I had had a few beers)

Okay so what have we got, Firstly it's hard to say how long the creature mismatch has been going on as I normally play in stealth, but it is interesting that what I thought to be just a glitch when I mentioned it in v1.19 (boar pheromone/wolf appearing) occurred again in v1.20 (skeever pheromone/sabrecat appearing) in a cleaned save. I also have a vague memory of being chased by ash hoppers where there was not an active pheromone for them but I may be misremembering.

I have to say that I don't know a great deal about papyrus scripting beyond the patching I did to keep DH running with SL1.6+ (in rl I do SQL coding), so I'm not sure how the creature is being called by the pheromone, but logically assuming it's two arrays it would seem that on occasion it may be getting the wrong target, the question is how. We know once it's happening it's consistent, we know this from the v1.19 test where I removed the pheromone and checked nothing appeared, reapplied the boar pheromone and the wolves appeared again.

The problem of course is that when I clean reinstalled the boar pheromone worked correctly, but that doesn't mean another wouldn't have displayed similar behaviour and regrettably it doesn't prove the opposite either. However I don't think it's an installation issue as the same behaviour occurred in v1.20 and I don't think it's anything like lag as there's no evidence of any stack dumps in the log. I did briefly wonder if it was the AI as that cannot be cleaned from the save but again I would dismiss that on two counts, one being the v1.19 reinstall which worked correctly and secondly as far as I'm aware there are no changes to the AI by SP.

Thanks for putting up the new version, I'm going to take an unorthodox approach and install it dirty as at the moment I have a game that consistently gives the sabrecat (When it fires)

On the timers I really don't have a clue, in my usual test spot sometimes they appear and sometimes nothing happens at all.

I'll upload a log shortly, sorry for the long post

@Slorm

So here's a little more detail on how the Mod works for spawning.

Basically there are 2 FormLists that work as dynamic arrays. First, a creature gets selected by the regular means, either randomly or filtered down which is iterative. Once selected, the creature gets added to an 'Active Creatures' FormList / array, this allows for a subset of creatures to get randomly selected. When it goes to spawn a creature, first it will check the Player location, and then it will check if one of the creatures valid for that location is in the 'Active Creatures' list, if it finds one that will work (say you have Wolf pheromones and the Player is in an animal den), then it will add that creature to the 'Current Creatures' form list. This list is very temporary and only has 1 creature in it at a time, it serves as a short-term holding place so whatever creature returned as a valid spawn from list A can have some functions and logic run on it, after the spawn event, that list clears out and reverts back to empty. The 'Active List' will keep creatures in it until the pheromones clear either by a cure or the magic effect ending, and only the specific creature will get pulled out.

So, my suspicion for how you were getting the wrong creatures is that you somehow got some things stuck in the 'Active Creatures' formlist between updates. And you would only get them when some other pheromones were active because there's a global bool for 'pheromones active' on Player. I.E. if you had wolves stuck in there, and you drank boar pheromones, then 'some' pheromones active on player == true, so it could spawn the wolves if you were in a valid location.

The last update I put some logic in to clear these out if they aren't valid. Basically, it will clear a magic effect if the matching creature isn't in the 'Active' list, and it will remove a creature from the active list if a matching magic effect isn't currently active on the Player. - It runs on init and on game load, so if there's something still stuck in memory from the last version, it should clean it out on update now. 

26 minutes ago, Slorm said:

On the timers I really don't have a clue, in my usual test spot sometimes they appear and sometimes nothing happens at all.

One thing I noticed with this is it isn't necessarily the timers but more likely invisible switching between valid and invalid cells. This will be more apparent if you toggle the new debug mode on in the MCM. So I had a spot, 'camping in the woods' where I did a lot of testing for this Mod, and it works pretty nicely as a 'Wilderness' area. But there's a dungeon nearby so the Player could without realizing it step over the line into a cell that would be marked as 'Exterior Cell X' of X Dungeon, and this would invalidate a spawn because the cell is not == None. This is what was happening in my testing, it's subtle because it 'seems' like the same area, but if you're running around back and forth while waiting for a spawn, you might find yourself in a named cell unwittingly so it wouldn't do a wilderness spawn.

Again this is my guess of what's happening here, but the debug feature should make it more clear.  

This looks encouraging, I removed v1.20 and installed v1.21 dirty, activated debug and saved a test.

The first try (no log for that I'm afraid) I advanced time by 2 hours and it got as far as the creature spawn but did not fill any aliases, advanced 2 more hours and it fired correctly with skeevers.

Restarted with logging active and it worked perfectly.

Did a third test to make sure and that ran perfectly as well. There are some errors in the log which I've attached, those around line 60 may be because it's a dirty install, the others around 354 I don't know about (ERROR: Cannot call Delete() on a None object).

Anyway it's looking good so far :classic_smile:

Papyrus.0.log

Glad to hear it. :classic_wink:

There is some of this stuff going on in your logs though:

slpheromonescontrolscript..RepeatItems in stack frame 5 in stack 6274903 differs from the in-game resource files - using version from save

It seems to be using the saved version of certain things rather than the current Mod update version, not sure exactly how things might pan out... So if you run into weirdness, I'd suggest doing a proper clean save.

1 hour ago, Hugh Reckum said:

Glad to hear it. :classic_wink:

There is some of this stuff going on in your logs though:

slpheromonescontrolscript..RepeatItems in stack frame 5 in stack 6274903 differs from the in-game resource files - using version from save

It seems to be using the saved version of certain things rather than the current Mod update version, not sure exactly how things might pan out... So if you run into weirdness, I'd suggest doing a proper clean save.

Yep they're not there in a clean save

Now you're going to love me for this (not a lot) I've found another one which I suspect is to do with the clearing of magic effects. I tried taking a log but there's nothing in it to show what's happening (and nothing on screen for the debug option)

I had put v1.20 back loaded and used a skeever pheromone cure to kill the process, saved, uninstalled v1.20 then cleaned game.

Installed v1.21 loaded game and imported json settings. I've taken stealth off to check I can get back to where I was by using the console to get skeever pheromones. Took pheromones but nothing shows in effects.

I then shutdown Skyrim so I could reload the save (before taking the pheromone) and did the same and still no effect. Tried with a different pheromone and that did show so it looks like something is permanently blocking the skeever pheromone effect.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Reckum said:

Hmmm, try the 100% chance, skeevers only, drink anything method, that should work.

I'll have to check on the Skeevers potion.

No afraid not.

Some other aren't working either (Lurker pheromone doesn't though I have the creature untoggled). I did double check skeever by untoggling then toggling back on again but even with 100% and the actual pheromone it's not working. Wolf works.

EDIT, tried with water at 100% and that works so looks like it's the pheromone potions which means there a few of them with the problem