The future of modding...?

dds3000

So I've been noticing some mods desapearing and some mods category kinda getting less and less updates ( not only here, on nexus too ), on the other hand, the amount of people starting a patreon for skyrim mods are increasing, I might be wrong. What do you guys think?

Everything goes to an end.

Quite normal than a game that is 6 years old starts to lose interest.

Don't start on Patreon. People are free to get contributions and commissions.

There are only so many things that one can add to a game before it ceases to be the game listed on the label anymore and only so much that people would even want to add to it.

One day, every community reaches not just saturation but satiety. 

It will be up to new games to fail in new ways that inspire the next generation of modders to step up to fill in the gaps or to tweak new games to suit new tastes or to circumvent anything remotely resembling prudery just for the sheer Hell of it.

Given the issues caused by the regular "updates" to both FO4 and SSE, I doubt Oldrim will be in danger of mass abandonment anytime soon. But nearly seven years is a long time for any video game.

If you're worried about losing access to mods, do what I do: download and store them on a flash drive. If they actually get updated, replace the old versions with the new ones on the stick.

3 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Given the issues caused by the regular "updates" to both FO4 and SSE, I doubt Oldrim will be in danger of mass abandonment anytime soon. But nearly seven years is a long time for any video game.

If you're worried about losing access to mods, do what I do: download and store them on a flash drive. If they actually get updated, replace the old versions with the new ones on the stick.

External hard drives work pretty good for this, too, even if they are the size of a light novella rather than a thumb. 8 TB+ of back up space provides a lot more security than a few hundred gigabytes, after all.

Ehhh, not worried. Seven years is a long time, but sixteen years is even longer. Sixteen is Morrowind's run and folk are STILL modding it. Don't see Skyrim modding dying out any time soon. (Hell, I learnt Vampire the Masquerade Redemption is still being modded by folk, and there's cave paintings younger than that game >:D)

Though, admittedly. It'd be nice to log into Nexus and see more Beyond Skyrims and less twelvehundred weeb thots in the hotfiles. :3

It's called "The long tail". Don't worry about it.

One trend I've noticed that's pretty nice is new modders taking old ideas and cleaning them up, making them run cleaner and simpler, with fewer conflicts and less conmputing power required. For example, Nether's Follower Framework is one of the nicest follower management tools ever made for Skyrim and it just came out this year (and quite quickly at that).

One of the concerns is that there is a large community of users, many being on LL even a few years before me,
but still waiting to find a person or another to resume mods or create new ones.

Skyrim will no longer attract many people as before, new users have everything already in hand and can have fun for a few months, then move on.
Those who are still interested in this game may eventually have to create their own mods too and not always wait for others to do something.
Especially when it's been years that you're using mods.

Just like the mods that are abandoned are for many reasons but one of the first is the loss of interest.
Modders do what they do because firstly they want something for them and share it if they want it.
When they have fun for a while they also lose interest they can move on without you waiting for anything from them.

On the other hand for many modders continue to make mods is no longer something they do for them but for a community of users,
that's why there is also more and more patreon, many are those for whom it is still the last thing that keeps them on an old game,
and it's why new content is mostly done by modders who have a few years of experience also continues to arrive regularly and not sporadically as it will become
if all the old modders were leaving.

But as I say, some old users here should do their mods themselves, and I'm not talking about other presets or stuff like that .. More serious stuff.
Take firstly the courage to do it for you, then have the courage to maintain it for others.

It depends greatly on what is available to play if it is a good year for new releases mods slow down.. However, an un-moddable game loses it appeal after a play through as it will never change. The games ability to be modded has been the longevity of Bethesda's games Skyrim more so than others. There are still some massive mods being worked on just takes time....and people keep coming back to mod Skyrim and to play Skyrim because it is a RPG meaning you do not have to do anything related to the "base game"  don't like something change it with tens of thousands of mods available.. there is a certain appeal to that.

Liked to read all the replies, I agree with everyone, but just to point out, I'm not disliking or anything, just posted to see in general what people would say, I have tons of mods instaled and I agree there are plenty for Skyrim, just saying I'm kinda scary about how fast Patreon is growing for adult content and mods, I felt it skyrocket this last two years

obs : I had a bad experience on supporting adult content on patreon cuz the projects are never finished

9 hours ago, woodsman30 said:

It depends greatly on what is available to play if it is a good year for new releases mods slow down.. However, an un-moddable game loses it appeal after a play through as it will never change. The games ability to be modded has been the longevity of Bethesda's games Skyrim more so than others.

The same can also be said of the console versions of their games. The "mods" released for them on BethNet and the CC are pretty much limited to new skins, items, and player homes. I know some people who still pine for major quest mods on the CC, but the limitations of what consoles can handle (or what Microsoft and Sony will allow on their networks) prevents that. What they're getting now seems to be the upper limit of what they ever will get.

No wonder so many console gamers are switching over to PC, then.

22 hours ago, CPU said:

Everything goes to an end.

Quite normal than a game that is 6 years old starts to lose interest.

Don't start on Patreon. People are free to get contributions and commissions.

What? Man, I'm not trying to be toxic or anything bad, I support a bunch of people there, I'm just pointing out what I saw, modding suport on patreon increased a lot.

47 minutes ago, dds3000 said:

What? Man, I'm not trying to be toxic or anything bad, I support a bunch of people there, I'm just pointing out what I saw, modding suport on patreon increased a lot.

No problems.

In the past we had tons of rage attacks against modders using Patreon.

As usual, if the tones are light the thread will stay open.

I personally think patreon mods are good so long as there isn't a permanent paywall. people end up "pirating" all those mods anyway. Early access via patreon is great I think.

As for the main topic at hand, mods always come to crawl as time goes on. I have a feeling that TES6 will go further than Skyrim is right now within a two year period. Peopel will continue to mod Skyrim as they continue modding Oblivion and like they mod Morrowind to this day.

I giggle at the thought of someone trying to recreate Skyrim in the next TES game. I can only speak for myself, but I think I'll have had my fill of Skyrim forever once TES6 comes out. I'm mostly looking forward to Starfield for now since Skyrim covers my fantasy needs thanks to the quest mods that keep it fresh. Although, that's because i'm hoping it's a sci-fi BGS game and not a game where you just flying around in space 50% of the time. 

But yeah, mods for Skyrim have been pretty steady, i think. Especially if you look on all the different sites other than nexus. plenty of armor/clothing mods. Way too many follower mods (something I've released myself), and some utility stuff here and there. i'd way we have another 2 or 3 years before it's really slow.

14 hours ago, CPU said:

No problems.

In the past we had tons of rage attacks against modders using Patreon.

As usual, if the tones are light the thread will stay open.

Thanks, I understand your point, internet have a little extra of salt ^^ my post was also very vague, sorry

9 hours ago, Jinxxed0 said:

I personally think patreon mods are good so long as there isn't a permanent paywall. people end up "pirating" all those mods anyway. Early access via patreon is great I think.

As for the main topic at hand, mods always come to crawl as time goes on. I have a feeling that TES6 will go further than Skyrim is right now within a two year period. Peopel will continue to mod Skyrim as they continue modding Oblivion and like they mod Morrowind to this day.

I giggle at the thought of someone trying to recreate Skyrim in the next TES game. I can only speak for myself, but I think I'll have had my fill of Skyrim forever once TES6 comes out. I'm mostly looking forward to Starfield for now since Skyrim covers my fantasy needs thanks to the quest mods that keep it fresh. Although, that's because i'm hoping it's a sci-fi BGS game and not a game where you just flying around in space 50% of the time. 

But yeah, mods for Skyrim have been pretty steady, i think. Especially if you look on all the different sites other than nexus. plenty of armor/clothing mods. Way too many follower mods (something I've released myself), and some utility stuff here and there. i'd way we have another 2 or 3 years before it's really slow.

Skyrim is complete for me in terms of modding, I have everything I need, but I also like to play to dress LUL, and those are getting better optimization and more variety via patreon nowdays

2 hours ago, dds3000 said:

Skyrim is complete for me in terms of modding, I have everything I need, but I also like to play to dress LUL, and those are getting better optimization and more variety via patreon nowdays

skyrim is complete because you can't think of stuff to add?

there's a lot of mods to mess with npcs

there's a way to showracemenu npcs now?

beside importing the head nif in showracemenu, then renaming the meshes

bethesda didn't bother finish the civil war

those rebels that are waiting for you to kill them, they are supposed to take back cities if you do nothing about them

why not take care of that?

when you go in water, wet and cold load water drop on your char

why not replace your body too? (you just add to that equip armorwet, that load another black&wet texture, or a glossier nif)

the one that was adding afflicted forgot to randomize them

there's a mod for the clones?

the other npcs, they never change clothes, hair or anything, unless one become a jarl or something

that can be done too

etc etc, there's always something to add

Open Civil War is a pretty good update to the Civil War to restore lost content and the ability to lose holds. Better (and far less buggy) than the removed Expanded Civil War.

Speaking of new mods though, I'm hoping to work with the author to add a compatible quest which allows you to get Maven tossed out as the Imperial Jarl in Riften (there are mods to let you kill her, but all that does is break a ton of quests). We talked about the idea and he asked me to write up a proposal with script so I'm working on that now (making sure the dialogue exists to be spliced for it to be fully voiced is the long and tedious part).

rename skyrim.esm to skyrim2.esm (unless you know how to unlock editing of that esm in tesedit)

load tesedit

go to npc maven

referenced by

copy paste all to that to pifpafpouf.esp

there's everything you need in that esp if you want to make pikachu jarl instead of maven

if you want a servant to give mavens quest instead of maven

now that she is useless, it's fine to kill her (stuff already in save won't be updated, so that probably require a new game)

38 minutes ago, SmedleyDButler said:

(there are mods to let you kill her, but all that does is break a ton of quests)

Was playin' wi' destroy the thieve's guild not long ago, that 'un let me exile the tart and stuff Lalia back on the throne. 'pparently she saw the light and came back to the empire. Though, not perfect. Along with that orc in Solstheim, Maeven is one of those that MUST die, every playthrough :3 :3

8 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Was playin' wi' destroy the thieve's guild not long ago, that 'un let me exile the tart and stuff Lalia back on the throne. 'pparently she saw the light and came back to the empire. Though, not perfect. Along with that orc in Solstheim, Maeven is one of those that MUST die, every playthrough :3 :3

I thought 'Destroy the Thieves Guild' only let you kill her (and this came with big warning signs)? I don't recall an exile option in the description and I last checked it only a couple of weeks ago (and again just now, to see if I was going crazy). It only seems to talk about killing?

The same modder does have a semi-complete "No killing" option, but it's functionally identical except for the fact that you jail the thieves guild members instead of killing them (and it's still in beta, requiring some console use as it's incomplete).

On 9/3/2018 at 10:21 AM, dds3000 said:

As far as overhauls, NPC maker over, magic, combat, i can sort of agree, but i think there's an infinite amount of things you can do there. Check out anything made by elysees. His skill/magic mods are insane and prove that you can do nearly anything when it comes to combat in this game. There are only so many things you can do with standard spells and effects, but this guy's spells take it to entire different levels: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1034867?tab=user+files

We definitely have enough waifu followers and that's coming from someone who has over a hundred of them installed, many of which i made myself. However, I think there are a ton of mods left to be made. Like quest mods especially. Even those voiced followers with the a ton of dialog can make your game feel different. Like Rigmor and M'rissi. And like you mentioned, playing dress up is nice so there's always room for clothing and armor mods, many of which can be ported over to TES6 maybe. Depending on how next-gen TES6 looks because a lot of Oblivion armor mods just dont look so good in Skyrim but a few worked out.

Real skyrim gamers will always enjoy the sexy mods of this page  in combination with content of the NEXUS. And people who got here once have their attraction, will be visiting shortly and then they jump over to the next game-title. And I would not compare skyrim with other more modern games as it offers a special atmosphere, which will never be available in a next or more modern title (skyrim se is finally not anymore the same at all).  Skyrim is like an old flagshipped cadillac, which can´t be compared with a modern car - it´s a way of "gaming-lifestyle" for some of us. And those of us - stay;-)

TESVI could only interest me, if it´s animation engine would be accessible to modding and if it would be build on the euphoria physic´s engine.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, The First Lady of Hats said:

Along with that orc in Solstheim

Oh that guy yeah I have a lot of fun with him thanks to mods like " I'll take the display model "  I'll have to post some screen shots in the "what are you dong thread" Maven does not bother me so much as her son always questioning my "combat prowess" He usually ends up at a giants camp in stocks lol

Archived