Windows 7 coming to an end .

Karen1965

On 8/25/2018 at 3:49 AM, Karen1965 said:

Window 7 is coming to the end of its life. Windows have said support will end in Jan Feb 2020. Win 7 will go the same way as XP and Vista. 

extended paid support till 2023 which I am actively saving money for

On 12/2/2018 at 12:09 PM, Ereadur said:

run win 7 with the I7 that Microsoft said would not work,..also usb 3 works

my laptop i5 is Kaby lake, and that "unsupported hardware" runs fine with Intel's beta drivers. My laptop is an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 with an i5 7300HQ...and the "unsupported Hardware" message you get is just an update from windows update you can remove

On 11/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, Reginald_001 said:

You can pretty easily shut off any kind of data retrieval, instructions here:

I'm usually on a VPN. I have a firewall installed with a block list for Windows services other than windows update.

Through policies, the reporting is shut down (I can confirm it by checking my firewall).

After ALL THAT, I'm pretty happy with Win 10.

What sucks is that some privacy settings are 'reset' after windows update, so I have to go through all the motions again after each major update.

I run my older games through Oracle Virtual Box, where I have my old Win 7 machine running.

Actually, it don't work at all. Data is collected, no matter what you are doing and/or tweaks you've applied. We have many problems with that at work, and can't resolve this.

For my next computer, I'll go to this OS: https://linuxmint.com/  (19.1 Cinnamon edition)

"privacy settings" on Windows 10 are pure crap.

If the security flaws become too serious to remain on the system after they've dropped support, I'll probably just dual boot Windows 10 with Linux or something. Linux for general PC use, Windows 10 for Windows, Windows Store and DX12 exclusive games. Though I find using Linux to be pretty complicated to use, guess I'll just have to learn a few new tricks.

50 minutes ago, AceofWind said:

If the security flaws become too serious to remain on the system after they've dropped support, I'll probably just dual boot Windows 10 with Linux or something. Linux for general PC use, Windows 10 for Windows, Windows Store and DX12 exclusive games. Though I find using Linux to be pretty complicated to use, guess I'll just have to learn a few new tricks.

i'm still on XP, so i'm sure 7 will be fine.

https://noscript.net/

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

https://www.comodo.com/

Windows 10 royally blows for permissions. I have a Windows 10 machine and a Windows 7 machine...it's much easier to remove games/mods from the /:D drive on Windows 7 than Windows 10 due to the permissions issues plaguing Windows 10 even if you know better than to install shit on C:\ drive due to permissions for your games for Windows 10 cause it's a bitch to even uninstall/delete shit from that drive. 

1 hour ago, HappyerbS said:

Windows 7/8.1 had a telemetry update years ago so unless you uninstalled the updates it's spying on you just as much as 10.

Tails is the only destro you should use if you really care about privacy.

I manually apply security patches so dodged the snoopware but I'd imagine a lot of users fell for it and didn't disable CEIP either

After all the shit that happened with Windows 10's terrible release almost as bad as Vista's. I learned to stay clear of it. I've been on 7 since I built my computer back in 2013. I also own a gaming laptop with Windows 10 on it. To be honest I was interested in Windows 10 for a bit because of the console game support. But after i had my experience with it when Windows 10 decided to automatically update and with it essentially brick my applications to the point where almost half of them were unable to open. I told myself i would never install Windows 10 unless microsuck can get there fucking shit together. To this day they still havent proven that. So I; in return will remain on 7 until 10 becomes as stable as 7.

As often as your phone provider, ISP, online stores, and social media sites spy on you and have access to your personal data, people seriously have a problem with Windows 10 also "spying" on them? I've been seeing the same "Windows is spying on me" whining ever since XP, yet people still continue using the Operating Systems.

And honestly, the two main reasons why I haven't switched over to linux yet are:

1. The community support is overall garbage. They expect you to know how to fix a problem via command line and will look down at you if you have any criticism about their favorite distro. Many of them don't realize that not everyone wants to go through the process of making a specific program work in Ubuntu over simply clicking 3 times for it to install on Windows. And many of them (not all linux users) being straight up snooty assholes to someone new to Linux isn't helpful at all.

2. The support for programs and games still isn't there. If more people are using linux, then the developers will put better support for it. But since that isn't the case, then a lot of devs are going to stick with Windows and Mac users.

Games not working with W10? Whooot? What games? PS1 era games? I use emulator for them anyway lol

If you know what you're doing everything works just fine on W10, and you can also use LTBS version without most W10 crap applications etc so it works more like W7 but faster with newer hardware.

But they it's your choice, some people still stay on XP...

39 minutes ago, LukeDuke said:

If you know what you're doing everything works just fine on W10, and you can also use LTBS version without most W10 crap applications etc so it works more like W7 but faster with newer hardware.

IIRC you need an enterprise licence to run LTSB or have to reinstall every 30 days. Has that changed now or are you using a hack?

3 hours ago, Slorm said:

IIRC you need an enterprise licence to run LTSB or have to reinstall every 30 days. Has that changed now or are you using a hack?

Yes, you will need enterprise licence, but there are also custom maded iso's without W10 Home/Pro apps crap on torrents, on which you can use your legal key.

I currently use LTSB 2019 without issues, but it was costy.. Still I will use it for years, and this version is even better than W7 if you ask me, so it was worth it in my opinion.

1 hour ago, LukeDuke said:

Yes, you will need enterprise licence, but there are also custom maded iso's without W10 Home/Pro apps crap on torrents, on which you can use your legal key.

I currently use LTSB 2019 without issues, but it was costy.. Still I will use it for years, and this version is even better than W7 if you ask me, so it was worth it in my opinion.

How did you get an enterprise licence I didn't think they sold them to individuals or did you do it through a company?

On 8/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, Vyxenne said:

I had an old laptop (an HP "desktop replacement" Pentium IV machine) running Windows XP. I found that I had slowly but surely stopped using it because newer stuff that I wanted to do wasn't supported on XP and the laptop itself could not support W7. So I bought a shiny new hybrid tablet/laptop (HP Spectre.)  Sadly, I couldn't get it with W7 so I reluctantly accepted the only OS available- W10. "How bad can it be?" I asked myself, "Even if Microsoft resorted to trickery and deception to try to force W10 onto my desktop for free..."

Well. I found out how bad it can be. As others have stated, the interface looks like it was designed by dyslexic toddlers on meth. All the cutesy gadgets are dysfunctional, and oh yeah, Microsoft won't let you get rid of them. Then there's "Cortana." You just can't kill her. Despite the fact that it's MY fucking computer that I PAID FOR, Microsoft is dictating that I must have Cortana despite the fact that I absolutely, positively, do not want or need Cortana.

Oh, and don't bother trying to use Firefox or any other browser on your W10 machine- you can do it, but then you will be bombarded by ads and nags about how much better Edge and Bing are than (whatever you prefer to use.) I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it- it spams ADS at me while I'm trying to play a game!

I could go on for hours, but here's the most telling part: I have not booted that machine in over 3 months. That's how bad it sucks. It was a total waste of money. I boot it up every 6 months or so and leave it to update since I have no control over that either and I do not want it to act as a malware vector into my home LAN. Then when it's finally through updating, I turn it back off for another 6 months. It is a great machine, totally neutered by its piece of shit Microsoft-controlled Operating System.

Some time in 2020 after W7 loses support, I'll probably see if I can still play my beloved SSE under some Linux distro. Unless something changes, Windows 10 will never set its spyware, adware-laden foot on my desktop machines.

Have Win 10, and have to say, I am in agreement with Vyx, about the messed up mentality, by Microshaft/Microshit (insert whatever other adjective best suits your opinion about MS) concerning the fact that is is ''MY fucking computer that I PAID FOR'', I (and everyone else, for that matter that owns a computer) should have the FINAL say in what stays or FUCKING goes out of it.... NOT them.! I say it is high time, for a class action lawsuit to be filed against MS, for blackmail, extortion & racketeering.

18 minutes ago, Master Lee said:

Have Win 10, and have to say, I am in agreement with Vyx, about the messed up mentality, by Microshaft/Microshit (insert whatever other adjective best suits your opinion about MS) concerning the fact that is is ''MY fucking computer that I PAID FOR'', I (and everyone else, for that matter that owns a computer) should have the FINAL say in what stays or FUCKING goes out of it.... NOT them.! I say it is high time, for a class action lawsuit to be filed against MS, for blackmail, extortion & racketeering.

Such a lawsuit would be pointless unless you can get a high-powered legal firm with deep pockets (or some consumer organization) behind it- Microgreed's defense would simply be "if you don't like it, don't buy it- BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA! *snort*"

Still, if you file it, I'll join it.

I have about 30 years in the tech industry and I have not seen a train wreck of an OS like Win10.  For first two years of it's release their constant patching broke everything the ability to set default programs to actually causing blue screens on boot.  I spent three days booting machines to a command prompt and deleting driver "updates" by hand on way too many computers to count.  Their tech support is a joke and they actively push their one drive and cloud apps on people.  I've already helped a number of folks pull their data back from the cloud to local storage and set them up with a variety of more secure back up options that don't depend on having an internet connection.  I also restored their local Office installs or migrated them to Open Office.

Microsoft sucks green donkey balls.

That being said they are the only kid on the block.  So if you go the Win10 route get the professional 64bit version.  Make shortcuts to the actual control panel items you use most often.  Their nerfed Win10 menus are terrible and missing many of the components. 

Kind of sad to see Windows 7 go as I had a good run with it years ago, but it was bound to happen so no point in crying over it.

I've enjoyed Windows 10 (better than Windows 8 for sure), even more so now that it's been patched up. Haven't had any problems with it and I love how just about any modern device is plug-and-play on this OS; I can't recall the last time I had to actually go to a manufacturer's website for drivers. My PC has been stable for as long as I can remember. Haven't had any problems with running games on here either, except for maybe GTA IV, but that game was better on PS3/X360 anyway.

Archived