Windows 7 coming to an end .

Karen1965

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Celedhring said:

I have two different machines.  Win 7 is for my business stuff.  And the Win 10 machine is just for gaming.  That said, I much prefer the Windows 7 machine.   I do use Chrome but it's  loaded with addons to make it a shark cage browser so I don't have to deal with adware popups or shit like that.   Everytime Micro$oft updates on Windows 10, it's always cause for trepidation cause they're not known for their quality patching. 

And a major reason Windows 10 got off to such a rocky start was because they were upgrading Windows 7...and ignoring the most basic rule of installing an OS:  Never upgrade. Always do a  full and clean install.   That's what got them into so much shit. 

Not to mention that they FORCED, several people to Windows 10 during early days after it launched. From what ever compatible operating system they were using, which was covered by their upgrade offer.

People would during the offer come back to their computer after closing the nag window, only to find it had upgraded behind their back without clear informed consent! Having downloaded around a DVD's worth of Gigabytes of data from Microsoft's servers using for metered connections the appropriate amount of their monthly quota. Gone never to return making the rest of the month's available quota extremely tight, potentially requiring rationing it out amongst other users.

1 hour ago, KLongad Sirtup said:

Not to mention that they FORCED, several people to Windows 10 during early days after it launched. From what ever compatible operating system they were using, which was covered by their upgrade offer.

I was a bit smarter, during the phase when Microsoft has distributed Win10 freely I have blocked all updates.
I do not want to have this garbage, Microsoft can Win10 shove in the ass! :classic_wink:

Most of the issues you run into with Windows 10 can by avoided by just changing your update settings so that it delays updates as long as possible.  So you get security updates right away but you don't get BS like forced video driver updates that don't work and cause reboot cycles.  By the time you get the delayed update most of the issues are fixed.  You can also tweak the interface to remove all of the annoying touchscreen related crap so it looks and feels pretty much identical to windows 7 except with better security.  I have zero issues with Windows 10 aside from the same privacy issues that I have with pretty much all software that makes use of your network access.  You're not going to resolve those privacy issues though unless you just want to go live in a cave somewhere without internet access.

Yes, Microsoft is going to spy on you.  So is Google, Amazon, Facebook, the government, and pretty much every other company you interact with on the internet.  Either get used to it or stop using everything with a network connection including your TV and your phone.  While you're at it, you'll have to also stop using all financial services other than cash, no bank accounts, no credit cards, no loans, no debit cards.  Face it, you're going to be spied on/tracked no matter what you do.  You can try to minimize it some but it's going to happen no matter what you do.

Windows 10 is garbage comes complete with add-ware pre installed it takes a lot of fucking around with it to even make it safe to use ... go figure. Newer is not always better you just have some assholes who have to justify their jobs so they create bullshit and hope nobody notices.... oh yeah "free update".  Hope someone can figure a work around by then and Microsoft can eat a dick.  

I respect all point of view expressed (read sll post in the last hour.) I may not agree with sone but I like the respectful approach of the thread.

Myself I do always use the latest (not) available version of all software I use.

For example I am using already Gimp 3.

About Windows remember that Microsoft is a commercial company. And rhey are moving the OS out of the main revenue line (from 2014)

I am aready using for my company wos (you pay 12 euros/year for a pro version of Win and 158 euro/year for a server cersion.)

OS is a service and I bet in 5 years it will be just free.

My stuff does not work? Update your stuff or xhange your stuff. Dosbox can be a friend.

Don't stop the progress or you will be old before mother nature will say you are old.

Cheers.

Haven't read the whole thread yet but did anyone mention VM for win7 running on linux yet? Somehow you could always run a VM and play games on it I would like to think anyway. Games industry is trying to go streaming only over the next console generation and next few years. When not if but WHEN that fails they will have to come groveling back to their pc base as usual. The only reason why microsoft is still the monopoly on OS is because of all the patents they hold for anything OS. Any company that finds a way around that or pays the fees and fines to use those patents will get the business. Everything that is going down eventually has to reach a bottom before it can go way back up again.

12 minutes ago, CPU said:

I respect all point of view expressed (read sll post in the last hour.) I may not agree with sone but I like the respectful approach of the thread.

Myself I do always use the latest (not) available version of all software I use.

About Windows remember that Microsoft is a commercial company. And rhey are moving the OS out of the main revenue line (from 2014)

I am aready using for my company wos (you pay 12 euros/year for a pro version of Win and 158 euro/year for a server cersion.)

My stuff does not work? Update your stuff or xhange your stuff. Dosbox can be a friend.

Don't stop the progress or you will be old before mother nature will say you are old.

Cheers.

It's a freaking trend. What I don't know (circa 1996 or 7) is WHY the trend.

One day we'll find that Linux bots from Russia have been influencing us for Years.

Bill Gates walked out on Connie Chung years ago for pointed questions she asked, so I like Connie chung (always disliked gates)

but trashing on his windows won't make his mansion any colder,

and besides it's free. Or it is as long as I can keep my old pig going.

I would have switched to linux a long time ago if it weren't for gaming.  In my experience though, emulators just take too much of a performance hit compared to natively running the OS that your software requires.  I'd be happy to play my games through WINE running on linux (or something comparable) if the performance was at least roughly comparable and it actually ran everything.  I do think eventually we'll move towards APIs that are no longer platform dependent for apps so it won't matter what OS you're running, you just need the OS to support whatever the dominant gaming API is (and presumably every OS would support it and provide native access to whatever hardware you're on).

If I wasn't gaming, I'd probably still be using a 20 year old box with linux on it since gaming is the only thing I do that actually requires any upgrades before the hardware flat out fails.

36 minutes ago, CPU said:

Cheers.

according to German basic law is the behavior of Microsoft not permitted!
Here is a small excerpt, I hope Google has translated correctly.

The Basic Law defines in articles 1 and 2 the special meaning of the personality rights of each person. One of these fundamental rights is that of informational self-determination. In a landmark judgment dating from 1983 (the so-called census judgment), the Federal Constitutional Court ruled that everyone is free to decide on the publication and use of personal data. The preservation of this fundamental right should accomplish the data protection.

https://www.datenschutz.org/bdsg/

Hi there :)

In my opinion windws 10 works fine to me. (mostly). With an USB3 Flash memory the installation ist very quick.

If skyrim chrashes i hav to switch the taskmanager to another desktop and then "kill"  The process.

Windows 7 was better in that case.

I still have windows 7  for "older" stuff.

But please don't laugh :D:

I have windows Vista 64 (my first 64 bis OS) and Windows xp (32 bit)  (Last OS that need floppy disk).

With windows xp servicepack 1 i had problems. The USB driivers of XP did not worked well. Service pack 2 solve this problem.

I still have my installation cd of windows 2000 professinal :) Nice OS !

I have Windows 98 , many chrashes.

Don't forget Windows NT 4 :)

"And"  DOS 6.22 :) (and the older Dos 3.30 :) )

Windows 3.0 and 3.1 :)

Ok microsoft wants to make profits that is clear.

I want to upgrate my system because it is not a good gaming system. So i have to use windows 10. I haveAMD Fx 8350. I know this is not the best cpu for gaming).

• 1 month later...

until there's an OS with a higher bit depth it will be around. Some companies are still using XP. Just because the author stops supporting updates which I keep turned off doesn't mean the OS is not viable. MS has been trying to force users to move to 10 since it came out because they see you as $$. They even have gone as far as to try to sabotage 7. One of my computers has 10 but I prefer 7 because I can fully control it. I don't like 10 because of the spying it does on you. Just sayin.. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 6:49 PM, Karen1965 said:

Window 7 is coming to the end of its life. Windows have said support will end in Jan Feb 2020. Win 7 will go the same way as XP and Vista. 

yeah I love win7. I tried win 10 well I guess I can say tried during set up it was asking for to much personal info. yeah I know you can set it up so you dont have to tell it to much info.

But I kinda felt like it was spyware eg. if I bank online and I missed turning off a setting will MS have access to that info (yeah kinda of silly)

anywho I am going to have to think about it soon coz all the games are going to start using win10 directx ugh !

On 10/16/2018 at 3:39 AM, D_ManXX2 said:

Dos 4.11 :P speaking of old school.  Dos 6.11 Windows 95, windows 98 windows 2000 / vista Windows XP /Windows 7 Windows 8 /8.1 

How could i forget windows 3.1x :D Windows ME Windows 2.1x Was the start of it all. 

lol loved 3.11 I could network computers !

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Atreyu said:

If I do get windows 10, I'll have to get a VPN, cuz though I have a youtube channel, I WILL NOT be spied on by microsoft!

I doubt it will help much. A VPN stops your ISP (and others if using public WiFi for some reason) snooping as it encrypts your data and more importantly hides where you visit as your ISP only sees the VPN server you connect to, but the telemetry in Windows connects direct to MS servers so they'll still be slurping your info. Bear in mind that telemetry is being sent *direct* from your system so they don't need to worry about tracking server IP's.

If you do use a VPN get a decent paid one, there's no such thing as "free" so a so called "free VPN" will be making money somehow as they can track and sell their logs of where you view.

If you really want to stop it you'll need to track down the MS server addresses and block them at the firewall. You can find lists of them (check out GHacks or Woody's site) though you'll need to do some reading to find them all. There may be other lists/sites as well  but as I dual boot Linux and Win 7 and intend to remain that way I've never been bothered to check further.

Alternately, use one of the Win10 privacy applications, though be warned that cutting of some of the connections may cause some problems in Win10.

You can pretty easily shut off any kind of data retrieval, instructions here:

I'm usually on a VPN. I have a firewall installed with a block list for Windows services other than windows update.

Through policies, the reporting is shut down (I can confirm it by checking my firewall).

After ALL THAT, I'm pretty happy with Win 10.

What sucks is that some privacy settings are 'reset' after windows update, so I have to go through all the motions again after each major update.

I run my older games through Oracle Virtual Box, where I have my old Win 7 machine running.

41 minutes ago, Reginald_001 said:

I run my older games through Oracle Virtual Box, where I have my old Win 7 machine running.

How do you find they perform?

I did consider dumping Windows entirely and moving to Linux with a Win7 VM but I gather there's a problem in that a VM cannot directly address the hardware so that games suffer a bit due to loss of direct addressing (happens regardless of the hosting OS). I've never tried it on my Linux setup as I don't have a spare Win7 licence.

Whoa.......The x86 architecture governs all PC machinations...Every component must address this....I run win 7 with the I7 that Microsoft said would not work,..also usb 3 works.Half of the PCs on planet Earth run win 7.Hardware manufacturers are not going to desert this market any time soon.....I have around 4 hundred games on disk...they work OK.

Simply use your machine until it no longer functions,...and then switch to Linux. At this moment in time there appears to a strong emphasis on taking away control from the end user.

Both  Steam and Microsoft are at the forefront of this little exercise,....same old story of control over what you do,..in consequence believe nothing that is said on obsolescence.Simply wait for the malfunction before you address it.......It is after all their market place.

Archived