Do you wear your outdoor shoes at home?

Reginald_001

For me, definitely not. I take them off as soon as I get home, stash them, then put them on when I go out again.

I was raised in a home where we wore our shoes indoors all the time, I remember even jumping on my bed and couch and such with my out door shoes, but as soon as I got my own house I decided against it and now it feels weird to even walk into another persons home and keeping my outdoor shoes on.

What about you guys? Do you wear your outdoor shoes at home? No? Yes? Why?

No. I walk barefooted and my witches using slippers. The streets in our city are very dirty. Lot of garbage and dog shit everywhere. We don't want to bring the dirt and potential sickness into our home. We always shoes off at the entrance.

That is not something that is done over here. Most of the year the ground is covered is all sorts of shit, so you'd have to clean the floors every other day.

I don't even wear socks at home. Unless my feet are cold, then i wear wool socks, warmer and breathe better than common socks.

I used to, mostly because during my first year in university I used to live in this absolutely terrible rented apartment (not even because of the money, I was just too late to find a neat place to stay in). The floor was nasty, I could clean it for hours but the stains and other shit left by the previous guests were horrid. The surroundings just weren't pleasant at all, so I'd mostly wear shoes unless I'm heading to bed.

Nowadays, nah. My current crib clean af, I could eat food off the floor. ?

13 minutes ago, gregathit said:

Shoes hit the floor soon after I hit the door.  I chill in my socks.  Can't stand going barefoot in the house.....just weird like that.

i love going barefoot in my place when i wear socks it feels like there smothering my feet

3 minutes ago, TheWhite said:

I've literally heard some US americans say it's rude to ask someone to take their shoes off. Okay, buddy, if you bring a vaccuum cleaner with you next time, you can keep your shoes on in my house.

We do not get that much sun really or warm, dry weather. We have about 6 months really dark time and the weather is not cute. And I don't want that crap inside. It is not common in our climate to wear shoes inside. It would be concidered rude to leave them on.

where the hell do you live thats dark for 6 months? the only place i know is alaska

5 hours ago, Reginald_001 said:

It's too cold here to walk barefoot. I have 'home' shoes, they are for indoor use only and have wool lining. Nice and warm. :)

Cold is my friend. :) I almost never wear socks. Only when going to work during the winter when it's rainy. If my witches can stand the cold, I won't have hitting in the home at all. :) I can stand very cold temperatures. That's why I'm always  barefooted at home.

There's a sacred rug (I swear) that can only be cleaned with a broom, a vacuum hasn't ever touched it.

Let's say a friend brings you home,

doesn't force you to remove your shoes

(because they just assume you will)

And you step on the rug and say "Nice rug".

Nice knowing you.

Because of all the local fascism re shoes, You can take my clothes, but you'll never take my shoes!!

And wandering in my house, Barefoot many years ago, I killed a bug with my bare foot next to the bed.

I was severely wounded by the bed.

so...uh...

Don't ask me.

NO!

NO! 

I WON"T (what was the question?)

15 hours ago, melovepengy said:

where the hell do you live thats dark for 6 months? the only place i know is alaska

Where do you live where it isn't? ?

Sun doesn't show up much on the weeks around christmas here.  It is pretty tough time when it's dark when you leave for work, and dark again whne you leave work. Should just hibernate like the bears do.

Further north it doesn't rise at all for couple of months. And likewise, doesn't set in the summer.

Already nights are dark, and starting earlier every day.

21 hours ago, melovepengy said:

i love going barefoot in my place when i wear socks it feels like there smothering my feet

Now here is the really strange part.......I NEVER wear socks to bed, as it does feel like my feet can't breathe then.  But while I am tooling around the house I have to have socks on.  :classic_tongue:

22 hours ago, TheWhite said:

I've literally heard some US americans say it's rude to ask someone to take their shoes off. Okay, buddy, if you bring a vaccuum cleaner with you next time, you can keep your shoes on in my house.

It is a fact.  Most Americans would be somewhat insulted if you asked them to do this.  I've been all over the 48 continental states and this is just not done.  I'm not saying there are not a few here and there who practice it, but it is definitely isn't normal.  Now, it is considered rude to wear muddy shoes into someones house, but if your shoes are clean, then no one says or even thinks about you wearing them.

Where I live humidity always above 95%. Now imagine how my feet would smell if i keep wearing shoes and socks all the time. Inside house i rarely use my slippers, I hate to wear shoes, I had worn them enough in my school days. Prefer to go to office, with slippers on, helps me on field visits, you don't have to mind walking through the mud or dirt. Just wash them wherever you find clean water.

Unless your guest is a child, they know when they have muddy shoes and will make a comment about having such before entering your house.  You can then agree and have them wait on the porch if they are just there to pick something up or you can suggest they remove their shoes and enter.  Demanding that they take their shoes off is considered rude, mud or no mud.

Right or wrong isn't part of the equation, it is just the way things are currently viewed.  Guests and their comfort are more import than a floor. 

Keep in mind, unless you are in rural areas, you can keep from getting muddy in US cities quite easily, regardless of what the weather does.  So perhaps that is why this just isn't a big deal.  In rural areas, the guest would ask to remove their shoes if they were muddy out of shear politeness.  

Um....  I'm american so yes it is considered rude to ask people to take off their shoes, or to go around barefoot in someone else's house without asking.  However, I myself an a contradiction:   In my own home, my parents house, and sometimes my brother's house I either wear my outside shoes or go barefoot depending on my mood.  I hate walking around in socks, slippers, or socks and slippers.  At most of my friends houses, I follow their examples.  If they wear their shoes inside, I do to.  However I have some friends that like to go around barefoot inside, and so I will do so at their houses most of the time.  In a couple of rare cases with certain friends, despite my loathing of slippers, i will borrow a pair of slippers or ask if I may enter in my socks because their parents are first or second generation immigrants who kept their cultural norms mostly intact when they came over, and I respect their families enough to try not to offend (mainly because they are amazingly tolerant and forgiving of my ignorance or misunderstandings and very willing to quietly find ways to correct me with as little embarrassment as possible.  That and their cooking tends to be amazing....  ).

Archived