External Hard Drive 3tb Suddenly Stopped Working

stronggater

So got the replacement, same exact model and everything. Old one still won't turn even with the new cords, and something I've noticed is that the new HDD actually has its own icon, but I think I may have accidentally deleted the .ico file on the old one early on. Also retried plugging in the old one once the new one installed the software for it, no dice for that either, so I think its just gonna have to be a data recovery thing. Listening to the new one power on and the old one, they have similar sounds, but the old one has louder clicking to it, and the final click is weaker on it too, making me think the actuator arm isn't functioning properly. 

In regards to breaking open the case, I'm just worried that if I do, I might damage the plates or something and lose the ability to recover the data on there. 

For the time being until I can set aside some money for that, is there any suggested storage methods to help preserve it? Might be a decent bit of time 1 year+ before I can afford to do something like that, so I assume a sealed, dry place? 

1 hour ago, Alkpaz said:

So if you leave your SSD in your active PC, you should not have any issues, since it will always have power. 

I appreciate the information, and I assume it's meant as a recommendation for a new drive, which I also appreciate, but all the drives I use(d) are HDD, and the one I've had issues with is a Toshiba HDD. 

23 hours ago, stronggater said:

In regards to breaking open the case, I'm just worried that if I do, I might damage the plates or something

You are NOT suppose to open the Drive itself, and they are usually rather robust when not powered.

Basically roughly follow the Video you linked until 5:00 Minutes but not further.

Then grab one of these USB->SATA Adapters and give it a try.

If it still does not show up in any way then: It's dead, Jim.(scnr)

As i said they will ONLY need the Drive for recovery.

23 hours ago, stronggater said:

suggested storage methods to help preserve it

The data on your HDD won't degenerate in just a Year not even in 10 or 15 years,

if this would be a Flash Storage like a Thumb-drive, a SD Card or an SSD that would be a different story, they need a regular refresh.

Just keep it in a dry place, not exposed to direct Sunlight or heat, and avoid subjecting it to physical shock and strong Magnets.

If you are asking for a Backup rule for Important Data i suggest the 3-2-1 Method:

3 Backups

2 Different storage Medium Types

1 Backup off Site

On 8/31/2018 at 2:06 PM, Arcci- said:

Kinda funny that this was uploaded yesterday.

Haha yeah seen that too.

Actually did that with a Failed WD years ago. Just bought the same Model of ebay, swapped their Controllers and pulled their Data of, since Motor Platter and Heads were still fine.

I did not bother with the ROM and the Alignment was slightly of (Was a 80Gig drive so rather low density), but good enough for my most powerful tools to read the Data of.

Afterwards i swapped the controllers back and had a spare Drive (and some nice shiny metal disks to put my Coffemug on).

But he won't even take it out of i'ts Plasic housing to try a different USB adapter, so i will not recommend swapping the PCB around or playing with a soldering iron on SMD Chips,

he could really loose his Data that way...

Archived