Oburael

On 10/25/2018 at 2:19 PM, Stahlvormund101 said:

When I was a child of maybe 7-8 years old, I played Sudden Strike. Way too complicated and difficult to play it properly, I just used cheats and enjoyed watching my troops stomp through the enemies. But I always had a knack for WW2-styled combat and games, be it strategy games, First-Person-Shooter, anything.

I saw my older brother play Warhammer 40.000 Winter Assault and I loved the game too. I got the "expansion" Dark Crusade (which I found even better, especially the campaign with the focus on the hero) and to my surprise in the same DVD-box as Dark Crusade was a DVD of a demo version of Company of Heroes of which I had never heard of before.

But it was WW2 themed strategy game so I tried it.
I immediately fell in love with it. It was among the best games I have played so far, and I played Heroes of Might and Magic III and Diablo II, absolute giants among games.

I always loved playing the Germans in these games, taking the side of the bad guys (which showed a lot of grey and white too anyways), and loved the use of german words in non-german games. So one day to my surprise I found this:

It's clearly a german word, but it doesnt exist in the german language and consists of the german words for "steel" and "custodian" and I guess it, with some imagination, roughly translates into "Steel Chief/Captain" or "Steel Beast".
I have an absolutel knack for tanks so I took the name as it has a nice sound in german; harsh, but also rolling, like a tank, and have used it ever since.

I usually use only "Stahlvormund" but apparently that name wasnt available here anymore, so I added the 101, from the "Xenon Sector 101" from X-3:Reunion, another absolutely amazing game.

relic00001.jpg

Good.  I am not the only one to be inspired by a WWII (mostly) tank simulator.   Though I have had this handle since..........well.......alot of posters to this site weren't born yet.   I wish I could find the BBS that I played D+D on back in a time when we had to pay long distance charges by the minute.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Super cheap ramen noodles I bought one day, many years ago. Seasoning packet said, "Pork Type Flavoring."

Pork Type... Alrighty!

Whether or not it was actually porky... don't remember.

Making fun of Asian mis-translations, basically. All in good fun and spirit though. ?

I was making a D&D character based on what I would like to be if I was in the D&D world.

I came up with the name Darkon Slayer for the that character kinda out of the blue.

That became my Online persona once Online became a thing.

As for on here I added the 74 cause, LL said someone else was using that name already, and I wanted the numbers to mean something to me (my birth year).

1 hour ago, Reginald_001 said:

Who names their child Reginald?

What's wrong with Reginald? ?

I'm not gonna say my first name, but believe me, dude. Much greater social impediment than, "Reginald." By light years.

You did well on that front. Believe me.

5 minutes ago, Pork Type said:

What's wrong with Reginald? ?

I'm not gonna say my first name, but believe me, dude. Much greater social impediment than, "Reginald." By light years.

You did well on that front. Believe me.

In English speaking countries I definitely agree with you. I'd feel respectable being called Reginald if I lived in the US, UK, or any other prominently English country/continent. Yet where I live.. this is not the case. It's a full-on nerd name inviting ridicule and wanton teasing when I was younger.

4 minutes ago, Reginald_001 said:

It's a full-on nerd name inviting ridicule and wanton teasing when I was younger.

Much like my name, in English speaking land.

It's a time honored name for men in my family, but kind of a cultural joke in the here and now.

14 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Most of my usernames online have to do with death or the undead, due to past life experiences.  And I don't like using nicknames in real life.  Don't want me to call you by your real name?  Fuck off.

They prolly all love you now, being all feisty and saying "fuck off", but I was prepared for you way-back-when and told the SS-Adm and the DMV what my name was,

so it wouldn't be elongated to what's on my birth certificate.

OTOH people I've known have strange names and hate the nicknamed versions.

So what's with the fuck-off?

a nickname is still sweet smelling.

Yo, Dog.

This message will self destruct shortly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived