Oburael

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a child of maybe 7-8 years old, I played Sudden Strike. Way too complicated and difficult to play it properly, I just used cheats and enjoyed watching my troops stomp through the enemies. But I always had a knack for WW2-styled combat and games, be it strategy games, First-Person-Shooter, anything.

I saw my older brother play Warhammer 40.000 Winter Assault and I loved the game too. I got the "expansion" Dark Crusade (which I found even better, especially the campaign with the focus on the hero) and to my surprise in the same DVD-box as Dark Crusade was a DVD of a demo version of Company of Heroes of which I had never heard of before.

But it was WW2 themed strategy game so I tried it.
I immediately fell in love with it. It was among the best games I have played so far, and I played Heroes of Might and Magic III and Diablo II, absolute giants among games.

I always loved playing the Germans in these games, taking the side of the bad guys (which showed a lot of grey and white too anyways), and loved the use of german words in non-german games. So one day to my surprise I found this:

It's clearly a german word, but it doesnt exist in the german language and consists of the german words for "steel" and "custodian" and I guess it, with some imagination, roughly translates into "Steel Chief/Captain" or "Steel Beast".
I have an absolutel knack for tanks so I took the name as it has a nice sound in german; harsh, but also rolling, like a tank, and have used it ever since.

I usually use only "Stahlvormund" but apparently that name wasnt available here anymore, so I added the 101, from the "Xenon Sector 101" from X-3:Reunion, another absolutely amazing game.

relic00001.jpg

On 10/25/2018 at 8:19 PM, Stahlvormund101 said:

It's clearly a german word, but it doesnt exist in the german language and consists of the german words for "steel" and "custodian" and I guess it, with some imagination, roughly translates into "Steel Chief/Captain" or "Steel Beast".
I have an absolutel knack for tanks so I took the name as it has a nice sound in german; harsh, but also rolling, like a tank, and have used it ever since.

I usually use only "Stahlvormund" but apparently that name wasnt available here anymore, so I added the 101, from the "Xenon Sector 101" from X-3:Reunion, another absolutely amazing game.

Spoiler

relic00001.jpg

:classic_wink::classic_tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

My first nickname when I started playing on the web back in 2000 was itsthatime2000... i just thought it was kewl, through the years it got shortened to itt1968. I got the nickname Grim from a game I played several years ago called Ayakashi Ghost Guild, in one of the many events i snagged a card called Grim Reaper (Summer Edition) I do believe I was the only one to get that card! It was extreamly rare... My Guild mates soon Started calling me Grim and the name stuck... 1968 was the year of my birth so that got added as well, but at a later time... anyway, thats my story

I have two go to nicknames

1, Basil, which one of my ex's mum's started calling me after Basil from Faulty Towers. Eventually everyone started calling me Basil so it stuck.
2. Noodle Chan was my own making as I wanted a new name for Uplay and being a huge fan of the band Gorillaz, I tried changing it to Noodle (the lead guitarist in the band) but it was taken so I tried a few different ways until I ended up with Noodle.Chan

Swanky - originally taken off the Donkey Kong franchise, I found it very fitting when I was still developing Unreal Tournament maps in the early 2000s. This makes this nickname around 15 to 18 years old, and it kind of stuck. My friends here in Germany pronounce it with a v instead of a w, though. :D

So, nick and username are mostly the same. :P

Funny enough the name of my online persona came from stuffed animals. The only thing is I don't even have a stuffed pig so I kinda made one up. Thus Darkpig was born, an evil critter that plans to obliterate anything and everything. The point is that I am totally not some demonic pig with desires of homicide and occasional internet trolling.

• 2 weeks later...

It originated from my long time playing an MMORPG and doing mostly endgame events, which at the time I was still doing and. well, I sucked at making usernames so I picked something I enjoyed doing game related.

Throughout my time having it since 2012, I've been given bad remarks (Nexus and Youtube) about it including calling me an elitist. Talk about judging a book by it's cover. And since it has garnered the wrong kind of attention to certain people to the point of annoying them, the more I'm glad I still use it. It was never meant that way, but I'm sick of political correctness and what people want to deem offensive in this world. So if it offends someone, good. Don't let the door slam in your face on the way out.

4 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

It originated from my long time playing an MMORPG and doing mostly endgame events, which at the time I was still doing and. well, I sucked at making usernames so I picked something I enjoyed doing game related.

Throughout my time having it since 2012, I've been given bad remarks (Nexus and Youtube) about it including calling me an elitist. Talk about judging a book by it's cover. And since it has garnered the wrong kind of attention to certain people to the point of annoying them, the more I'm glad I still use it. It was never meant that way, but I'm sick of political correctness and what people want to deem offensive in this world. So if it offends someone, good. Don't let the door slam in your face on the way out.

How and why do get ppl offended by that name? And sorry for asking but I havent played many MMORPGs; what is an endgame event?

51 minutes ago, Stahlvormund101 said:

How and why do get ppl offended by that name? And sorry for asking but I havent played many MMORPGs; what is an endgame event?

Okay, to break it down for you in my case with FFXI Online. FFXI Online has a thing called linkshells. Linkshells are something anyone can purchase and equip and it will show an icon next to your name, The person in charge of the linkshell can create linkpearls and trade them with anyone they want to join in on their linkshell. It's basically like a chat room. Only the people within that linkshell can see conversations going on within that linkshell. Not everyone cares to be a leader of a linkshell but linkshells are used for many purposes. Think of linkshells like a team. They can be used for socializing with people in that linkshell. They could also be used for all sorts of things like forming a static group to do quests together.

Endgame is basically high level content that is outside of the normal doing quests, and joining in a party to level up your job (class). Endgame linkshells are created to do incredibly hard things like claim a Huge Notorious Monster (HNM) which means people have to camp and wait for it to spawn or continously kill the placeholder during the window time to get it to spawn. There's Notorious Monsters (NM) and then there's HNMs. HNMs cannot be killed alone. It requires a very highly skilled group of alliance (18 people, usually 18 members of your linkshell) to take it down because it will have incredibly high amounts of HP, but also do incredible damange. Each class serves a purpose, but not every class is needed.

It's basically elite players claiming monsters that dropp incredibly expensive loot for the Auction House and then the reward is split among those who attended the event. It's very complex to really go into, but I ran my own endgame and I used to use Google Spreadsheet to keep track of events and rewards for people waiting in line for certain rare/ex (non sellable items) weapons or armor, which of course had really good stats.

These events normally took place in areas far beyond the average player could go because of high level mobs. So 3-4 groups competing, it made it very hard to claim it and you'd have to wait for it's next window. it could be a day or or several days. Though, people used bots and hacks to claim the HNMs.

To get into an endgame linkshell isn't easy. You have to be pretty much on top of your game in your class, but you are also required to have other classes max level because sometimes if someone doesn't show up to an event, classes have to be rearranged.

That's pretty much endgame in FFXI Online.

8 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

Okay, to break it down for you in my case with FFXI Online. FFXI Online has a thing called linkshells. Linkshells are something anyone can purchase and equip and it will show an icon next to your name, The person in charge of the linkshell can create linkpearls and trade them with anyone they want to join in on their linkshell. It's basically like a chat room. Only the people within that linkshell can see conversations going on within that linkshell. Not everyone cares to be a leader of a linkshell but linkshells are used for many purposes. Think of linkshells like a team. They can be used for socializing with people in that linkshell. They could also be used for all sorts of things like forming a static group to do quests together.

Endgame is basically high level content that is outside of the normal doing quests, and joining in a party to level up your job (class). Endgame linkshells are created to do incredibly hard things like claim a Huge Notorious Monster (HNM) which means people have to camp and wait for it to spawn or continously kill the placeholder during the window time to get it to spawn. There's Notorious Monsters (NM) and then there's HNMs. HNMs cannot be killed alone. It requires a very highly skilled group of alliance (18 people, usually 18 members of your linkshell) to take it down because it will have incredibly high amounts of HP, but also do incredible damange. Each class serves a purpose, but not every class is needed.

It's basically elite players claiming monsters that dropp incredibly expensive loot for the Auction House and then the reward is split among those who attended the event. It's very complex to really go into, but I ran my own endgame and I used to use Google Spreadsheet to keep track of events and rewards for people waiting in line for certain rare/ex (non sellable items) weapons or armor, which of course had really good stats.

These events normally took place in areas far beyond the average player could go because of high level mobs. So 3-4 groups competing, it made it very hard to claim it and you'd have to wait for it's next window. it could be a day or or several days. Though, people used bots and hacks to claim the HNMs.

To get into an endgame linkshell isn't easy. You have to be pretty much on top of your game in your class, but you are also required to have other classes max level because sometimes if someone doesn't show up to an event, classes have to be rearranged.

That's pretty much endgame in FFXI Online.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for explaining it in such detail! Didnt't expect that. Weird that people would take offense by that.

Archived