you are prejudiced?

7 hours ago, markdf said:

The "real american" military? The one that massacred innocent Vietnamese civilians, innocent Iraqi civilians, tortured people without any evidence or trials, and which (if you read those links) has actual SLAVES on some of its bases? THAT american military?

Yes that's the point I was making as I also have links to atrocities.

No one who fought AGAINST liberty for Americans should be remembered as hero in America. And if you think that there is ANY issue from the civil war that mattered even slightly compared to freeing the slaves, that's pretty bad. Like if you think tariffs on corn is somehow more important than freeing slaves.... that does not speak very well of your character. Slavery was the only issue at stake, nothing else mattered even the TINIEST bit in comparison.

No one in the Civil War fought against liberty for Americans. Now I get it the mind set at that time was totally f***ed up, but at the time slaves weren't American citizens they were basically livestock. Very wrong I know but a fact of life at that time. Once again applying today's morals and standards to a past group living by a completely different set. So by those same standards zealous vegans must retroactively hate nearly every person that ever lived (except Hitler he was a vegetarian at least) including their own ancestors.

Think about it this way: pretend YOU are a slave right now, and there is a civil war in which one side wants to free you. I sign on to fight on the OTHER side, the side that wants to keep you a slave forever. But I'm all like "it's not about slavery, I just really like the fact that they'll decrease the tax on imported candy from Europe." Would you respect me in that scenario? Or would you assume that I'm basically a monster? Every southerner was that monster, and many of them still are to this day.

OK I get it you hate southerners yet my original point still stands. We don't vilify Italians or Greeks because their ancestors used to own slaves. I had more to say but it was off topic and vitreous.

44 minutes ago, wokking56 said:

OK I get it you hate southerners yet my original point still stands. We don't vilify Italians or Greeks because their ancestors used to own slaves. I had more to say but it was off topic and vitreous.

Do Italians and Greeks go around saying "slavery wasn't so bad"? Do they still fly the flag of Sparta or Rome? Do they say "the roman empire will rise again!" (the Italian and Greek Fascists during World War 2 actually did say this, and they were 100% pro-slavery racists monsters).

Spoiler

"I am a person whom is broken, living, bleeding, pointless, useless and ugly."

So what are you going to think now. You have to choice to think this is true, false or nothing of it. Now, if you believe this to be true without knowing me, then you have a preconceived based upon a possibly untrue statement. If you think this is false, once again, same thing as the truth. Finding out if it were to be true before forming an opinion would technically be no prejudice. However, depends on the context you decide to use it in. 

First point: You should read the spoiler first. It is to make a point.

Honestly, when I think about this, I would hardly say I am prejudice. Here is why. 

Race: When it comes to race, I could careless about your skin color. Yes, I do joke about stereotypes, however, it's mere jokes often mistaken for prejudice. (Typically by people whom don't understand or have a problem with Dark Humor.) 

Culture: Another one, I honestly could not care less about this either. You have the code you follow, that is your choice just as I am to follow mine. Once again, I see this as pointless. 

Social Class: Here is one instance I have been prejudice once, only to be proven wrong in a good way. Knew someone whom was upper class and being that I lived in poverty for majority of my childhood till moving out, the false sense that all upper class were complete dicks/cunts. (Oh no, I said two no no words.) However, I was proven wrong once I got to know the person. Truly genuine, actually hated the upper class life and just wanted to live what they thought was a normal life. Grew to respect this person and to change my outlook on people. 

Mentally/Physically disabled: Never once have I ever been prejudice towards them. (No, "them" is not an insult.) I have no reason to be. 

Fat: Once again, have no reason to be. How do I know if this person has a diagnosed medical condition that could be causing a problem for their body. 

Homosexuals: Well, this one is out of the question. (Lesbian)

Feminists: Now, this one, I have a strong opinion because I have had past experience. There is a difference when it comes to feminism. Are we talking about feminists, the ones that fight for equality to an extent without the extreme side. Are we talking about the other side? The extreme "feminists" (Ones I call fem-nazi's) whom are typically extremely aggressive for no reason, will instigate or start violence just so their opinion is heard? (Yes, I have had a run in with this multiple times.) 

Abortionists: I have my opinions that I will not fully disclose about this. However, I do believe in pro-choice to an extent. (Goes back to beliefs that can't not be discussed on these forums.) 

Whatever way you spin this, I do agree with some people, prejudice can often be confused for formulated opinion response to prior experience. Blanket terms/labels also further this issue beyond what it needs to be. However, who takes it too far? The people. Problem with freedom/liberty. While freedom and liberty is a very nice thing to have, it also comes with a curse. Prejudice is one. However, there are so many variable factors when it comes to being prejudice, it's actually difficult to determine if someone is prejudice without bluntly asking them if they have encountered X Y Z before. 

On a end note, take this for what you will. You are going to form an opinion, based on what you know, what you have heard, what you understand, what you perceive and what your experience is. 

PS: I'll just leave this here in a spoiler also. 

Edit: Engaging a person by stating that "if you deny being prejudice, then you are hypocritical" is technically prejudice. Just so you know. :3

Spoiler

Now
Listen to me no hard feelings
I can see your skull past the peeling skin
Passion all dead double talking
Yeah we hear your words
No one's walking

False flag attack that
Found guilty through entrapment
Of our commandments
Your cooperation is commended
Since the corporation demands it
Who are the false
We are the truth
True or false
True, true or false
Which one are you

We Are The Truth by Mushroomhead

8 hours ago, Celedhring said:

That's easy for me, actually..I hate everyone equally. You see, I'm an misanthrope.  ?

I went to google the (redacted) motto (something about lawns) and found some memes I keep seeing here.

we're a forum of meemers (and history buffs)

Is anyone real or is this a movement from the "deep state"?

trendy.JPG.288aeb7771955ef06f204e927b5485bc.JPG

meme.JPG

5 hours ago, markdf said:

Do Italians and Greeks go around saying "slavery wasn't so bad"? Do they still fly the flag of Sparta or Rome? Do they say "the roman empire will rise again!" (the Italian and Greek Fascists during World War 2 actually did say this, and they were 100% pro-slavery racists monsters).

Yes this is true yet for over 2 years America didn't give a shit. We only got involved after Japan "pissed in our beer". However my point still stands, that was in the 1940s less than 100 years ago and we don't shout hated at the Italian or Greeks now do we. The Frickin Civil War was over 150 years ago and we just can't seem to get over it. Were you alive then? Did you own slaves or perhaps was a slave? No I don't think so. So it doesn't F***ing matter it's the past let it go. Or maybe you would like me to regale you with the tales of my High School football career, that's in the past too. 

OK now I am done. I have nothing else to say since it wont matter anyway. 

11 minutes ago, wokking56 said:

Yes this is true yet for over 2 years America didn't give a shit. We only got involved after Japan "pissed in our beer". However my point still stands, that was in the 1940s less than 100 years ago and we don't shout hated at the Italian or Greeks now do we. The Frickin Civil War was over 150 years ago and we just can't seem to get over it. Were you alive then? Did you own slaves or perhaps was a slave? No I don't think so. So it doesn't F***ing matter it's the past let it go. Or maybe you would like me to regale you with the tales of my High School football career, that's in the past too. 

OK now I am done. I have nothing else to say since it wont matter anyway. 

It's not the past. There are still statues of people who OWNED HUMANS and who waged war to keep owning humans. There's an entire political party in the USA that welcomes ACTUAL NAZIS, white supremacists, people who say "slavery wasn't so bad", etc. There are plenty of Americans who were alive during the Jim Crow laws (which effectively kept slavery alive in the form of prison labour for meaningless non-crimes). There are plenty of Americans who were alive before lynching was made illegal. And the descendants of slaves are still shot by police for no reason, arrested for no reason, denied jobs because of their names and appearance, and so on.

So yes, it does matter. Because it's NOT the past. The legacy of slavery is still alive and still happening.

Prejudice is something I'm not interested in participating in. At least not actively. Sure, sometimes I have an opinion. But it rarely enters real life. Most of my online talks never enter real life. I have never SEEN a bonafide sjw in front of me. I have never seen a literal uniformed nazi ranting on the street. Obviously they exist and I have opinions about them. Irrelevant opinions but still...

I tried the "just hate everyone" thing but it was a real pain in the ass for someone as lazy as me.

Being neutral to or open to nearly everyone equally makes life so much easier. The list of people you can invite over or whom you can deal with expands greatly.

I've made friends with radical feminists. I went on a fun trip with a huge racist drunken tweaked out asshole and he even flirted with me and I honestly hold nothing against him except how he treats his kids. Invite both of these guys over to your house for drinks and entertainment at their expense as surely they'd end up getting into it at some point. And unless you are unlucky to get scapegoated or they hold your friends against you? Both the radfem and asshole will like you and be on your side in the realm of reality (from just hanging with them, all the way to asking favors) because you're a nice , chill, fun caring person to both. There are...Perks of being a NICE sociopath, see? Not that I really consider myself too much on the sociopath side. More easy going and out for a good time.

Somewhere in there I did mention how that asshole treats his kids. Guess I do have hot button prejudice:

- If you abuse kids or animals then fuck off. I won't have that one guy near me any more cause of that, barely tolerated. 

- If you threaten me, harm me or mine

- If you make it difficult to avoid jail around you by trying to make me do stupid shit that will get me in jail

- If you don't like me and are open with that, I'll do you a favor and try to avoid you

1 hour ago, markdf said:

It's not the past. There are still statues of people who OWNED HUMANS and who waged war to keep owning humans. There's an entire political party in the USA that welcomes ACTUAL NAZIS, white supremacists, people who say "slavery wasn't so bad", etc. There are plenty of Americans who were alive during the Jim Crow laws (which effectively kept slavery alive in the form of prison labour for meaningless non-crimes). There are plenty of Americans who were alive before lynching was made illegal. And the descendants of slaves are still shot by police for no reason, arrested for no reason, denied jobs because of their names and appearance, and so on.

So yes, it does matter. Because it's NOT the past. The legacy of slavery is still alive and still happening.

Is there a way to block a person?  There is only so much crazy I can take...  And usually I fill that quota all on my own. 

First off I'm sick of bigots that label everyone nazi's and white supremacists who don't share your view point. 
Secondly, 99.99% of people shot by cops deserve it.  .01% do not, but at least half that .01% are people accidentally caught in the crossfire.  If someone is holding a weapon near cops or running from police and they get shot, they deserve it.  I don't care what color skin, what social class, what religious beliefs (or lack thereof), or what the excuses they or their loved ones have.  Perfect example: a group of kids shoots a bunch of people in a series of drivebys.  Cops pull them over.   One pulls gun on the cops, one takes off running.  Both get shot, and a certain vocal segment try to make the kids out to be victims.  Never mind the people they killed.  It was "The cops didn't have to do that, and they wouldn't have if these boys were white."  Bullshit.  
In my city we've had more cops shot by gang members and antifa than people shot by cops, and yet that same segment tries to act like cops are the problem.  
Outside of my city, a few years back, I did ride alongs with a dear friend who was a cop.  We pulled into the driveway of a residence we had a 911 call come from just in time to have a guy step out from behind a bush with a mag fed pump action shotgun firing at the windshield.  We ditched the car and rolled out returning fire.  (I wasn't a cop but I was carrying.  We were lucky that we came out with scratches.  Now people like you would claim that was excessive force and that we fired for no reason.  
Last time I went to Chicago, nearly every police car I saw in the area I was in had either bullet holes, burn marks, or impact damage.  People were literally on the street corners calling for people to kill all the police.  Screw that.  These men and women who wear the uniform have families to go home to.  They put their lives on the line to protect people, and assholes go out there and claim they kill people for "no reason."  Honestly, anyone that claims cops do so are the same assholes that shoot at the cops and therefore are the real problem, not the cops, and I personally have nothing but hatred for anyone that claims cops kill people for no reason.  

50 minutes ago, Greeniewolf said:

Is there a way to block a person?  There is only so much crazy I can take...  And usually I fill that quota all on my own. 

First off I'm sick of bigots that label everyone nazi's and white supremacists who don't share your view point. 
Secondly, 99.99% of people shot by cops deserve it.  .01% do not, but at least half that .01% are people accidentally caught in the crossfire.  If someone is holding a weapon near cops or running from police and they get shot, they deserve it.  I don't care what color skin, what social class, what religious beliefs (or lack thereof), or what the excuses they or their loved ones have.  Perfect example: a group of kids shoots a bunch of people in a series of drivebys.  Cops pull them over.   One pulls gun on the cops, one takes off running.  Both get shot, and a certain vocal segment try to make the kids out to be victims.  Never mind the people they killed.  It was "The cops didn't have to do that, and they wouldn't have if these boys were white."  Bullshit.  
In my city we've had more cops shot by gang members and antifa than people shot by cops, and yet that same segment tries to act like cops are the problem.  
Outside of my city, a few years back, I did ride alongs with a dear friend who was a cop.  We pulled into the driveway of a residence we had a 911 call come from just in time to have a guy step out from behind a bush with a mag fed pump action shotgun firing at the windshield.  We ditched the car and rolled out returning fire.  (I wasn't a cop but I was carrying.  We were lucky that we came out with scratches.  Now people like you would claim that was excessive force and that we fired for no reason.  
Last time I went to Chicago, nearly every police car I saw in the area I was in had either bullet holes, burn marks, or impact damage.  People were literally on the street corners calling for people to kill all the police.  Screw that.  These men and women who wear the uniform have families to go home to.  They put their lives on the line to protect people, and assholes go out there and claim they kill people for "no reason."  Honestly, anyone that claims cops do so are the same assholes that shoot at the cops and therefore are the real problem, not the cops, and I personally have nothing but hatred for anyone that claims cops kill people for no reason.  

The police shoot people in the back. They shoot people that are running away. THAT'S excessive force. No one questions the need for police officers to defend themselves. Literally NO ONE.

Just look at the Baltimore police department, multiple officers are being investigated for planting drugs and weapons on innocent people in order to make arrests. How many of your "99.99%" were actually innocent people who had guns planted on them after they were shot?

Besides, even if it were actually as low as 0.01% (it isn't, police departments own stats say it's much higher), that's still too many.

And I'm only describing people as Nazis who are actual Hitler-praising, swastika-wearing, Jewish-hating NAZIS. And people like that are actually running for office (and holding office at the state level) as members of the republican party.

27 minutes ago, markdf said:

The police shoot people in the back. They shoot people that are running away. THAT'S excessive force. No one questions the need for police officers to defend themselves. Literally NO ONE.

That is not excessive force.  If you're running from the cops and get shot, that is the perfect level of force.  If the cops let them run, it wasn't enough force.  This isn't TV.  This is real life.  The only people that run are those that did something wrong and are afraid of being caught.   There are two saying in the city I grew up: "You run, you die" and "the innocent don't run."  These weren't sayings made up by the cops.  These were sayings made up by the community that was sick of the gang bangers, the drug cartels, the purse snatchers, carjackers, murders, and other lowlifes.  

Just look at the Baltimore police department, multiple officers are being investigated for planting drugs and weapons on innocent people in order to make arrests. How many of your "99.99%" were actually innocent people who had guns planted on them after they were shot?[/quote]
NONE of them.  Unlike people that baselessly accuse cops of murdering people, the vast majority of cops have integrity and ethics.   And for those that don't they have dash cams and body cams.  Oh and most of the officers accused in Balitmore have already been cleared of wrongdoing in those trumped up charges.  There -might- be one or two that may wind up having actually done something wrong, but I would be surprised if even that many are bad.  

Besides, even if it were actually as low as 0.01% (it isn't, police departments own stats say it's much higher), that's still too many.

Nope it's not.  There will always be people caught in the crossfire.  You cannot eliminate that from happening.  As someone that was caught in the crossfire, I would far rather see the assholes you are supporting butchered than the cops and even if those bad guys are running away, they still need to go down.  Hard.  The more bullets the better.   Otherwise they just continue to hurt and kill others.  

In my experience the very people that make the claim that the cops are murdering innocents people are really just people wanting to be able to hurt people and get away with it.  So that tells me all I need to know about you and if I ever have the misfortune of meeting you in person, I will be expecting you to try and kill me.

11 minutes ago, Greeniewolf said:

If someone has hurt or killed others how is appropriate to let them run away and continue to hurt or kill others?  

If you can't think of ANY way to stop a person from escaping that doesn't involve murdering them, you probably shouldn't be a police officer or be allowed to own anything more lethal than stale celery.

Things cops have done to people I know: 

* A cop raped a woman I know who was a witness in protective custody at the time.

* A cop threatened to murder a guy I know over a personal dispute.

* A cop went through my belongings without permission, without a warrant, without probably cause, for the sole reason that his adult daughter was my roommate. 

* A cop beat the shit out of my best friend, who is a harmless 100 lb skinny Korean girl... And was his girlfriend at the time. She had to be hospitalized.

Many cops abuse their power, and the ones that do it are protected by the ones that don't. The entire institution is garbage.

49 minutes ago, markdf said:

How is it appropriate to shoot someone in the back when they are running away?

While I would agree that the police generally has a problem with power tripping and violent tendencies, your sensationalist statement that the police shoots people in the back makes it sound as if the police is hunting people on a regular basis just because.

To answer your question, it's called threat assessment. Just because a suspect is running away currently doesn't mean that he's not a threat anymore. The suspect could be running away to ambush you around the next corner or looking for a hostage. Threat assessment is extremely important but sadly one of the things where human error is most prevalent - you don't want to harm or kill an innocent person but at the same time that person could also be a highly dangerous criminal and not stopping him now could lead to innocent people suffering because you failed to make the right call. That said, running away from the police is generally a bad idea because it's an indicator - not proof mind you - that you are dangerous.

15 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

While I would agree that the police generally has a problem with power tripping and violent tendencies, your sensationalist statement that the police shoots people in the back makes it sound as if the police is hunting people on a regular basis just because.

Ask black americans, to many of them it DOES seem like the police are hunting them on a regular basis "just because". And when black people get arrested for no reason and shot for no reason, running probably seems like an entirely reasonable response. The same goes for people with mental illnesses -- police shoot them all the time, because some of them have trouble complying with police orders correctly. And the homeless? When I was living in Vancouver, there was a big scandal because police officers were rounding up homeless people and dropping them off kilometres outside of town... basically just as a way of intimidating and harassing them.

Watch some of the bodycam footage that has been released or leaked... there are many examples of police officers behaving terribly, and most of them never face have any consequences.

1 hour ago, markdf said:

If you can't think of ANY way to stop a person from escaping that doesn't involve murdering them, you probably shouldn't be a police officer or be allowed to own anything more lethal than stale celery.

Things cops have done to people I know: 

* A cop raped a woman I know who was a witness in protective custody at the time.

* A cop threatened to murder a guy I know over a personal dispute.

* A cop went through my belongings without permission, without a warrant, without probably cause, for the sole reason that his adult daughter was my roommate. 

* A cop beat the shit out of my best friend, who is a harmless 100 lb skinny Korean girl... And was his girlfriend at the time. She had to be hospitalized.

Many cops abuse their power, and the ones that do it are protected by the ones that don't. The entire institution is garbage.

seriously if you have to make up shit to prove your point, you have none. 

you just lost any and all credibility as far as I am concerned. 

6 minutes ago, markdf said:

Ask black americans, to many of them it DOES seem like the police are hunting them on a regular basis "just because". And when black people get arrested for no reason and shot for no reason, running probably seems like an entirely reasonable response. The same goes for people with mental illnesses -- police shoot them all the time, because some of them have trouble complying with police orders correctly. And the homeless? When I was living in Vancouver, there was a big scandal because police officers were rounding up homeless people and dropping them off kilometres outside of town... basically just as a way of intimidating and harassing them.

Watch some of the bodycam footage that has been released or leaked... there are many examples of police officers behaving terribly, and most of them never face have any consequences.

White people are killed more often than black people by the police in the US, though. Homeless people are usually considered a blight on whatever place they currently happen to be in. It's not that I condone this, it's just how it is. Society at large abhors the poorest of the poor.

And yeah, I've seen plenty of bodycam footage. Shows police officers basically murdering some people outright and other times it shows police officers being patience itself. Other times things end ugly because the suspect wouldn't drop their weapon. Some might've been mentally ill, of course, but there's no one telling the police officer that. It's not like it's obvious, you know. Besides, a psychotic rage isn't any less dangerous to everyone involved just because it's a mental illness. It's not like getting stabbed or shot by someone who has lost control is any less painful.

If you think the police generally applies excessive force, I recommend watching a few police training videos, especially on knives. Most people don't know how to properly process what they're seeing when they watch footage of police shootings. Again, I don't disagree with you per se, it's just that I'd like a more nuanced perspective. Does the police have internal and structural issues that regularly have devastating consequences? Absolutely. But it's not like they're just waiting for you to turn your back so they can shoot you.

43 minutes ago, markdf said:

First off don't blame on Vancouver police what was set as law by the supposedly liberal city council there and which the police department strongly disagreed with and whose members sued the city over. 

Secondly, You have quite a lot of audacity telling me what I "experience" especially since what you claim I "experience"  is the exact opposite of what I actually do experience.  I don't need to ask myself, my friends, my community anything because we talk regularly and we are all pretty much on the same page and that page doesn't include any experience of being "hunted," "Shot for no reason," or "arrested for no reason."  I'm done.  Someone kindly whispered me how to ignore you and I am.  I hope I never have the misfortune of meeting you in person.  The impression you have given me is such that I feel if I ever met you in person I would have to fear for my safety and that of anyone with me.  

12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

White people are killed more often than black people by the police in the US, though. Homeless people are usually considered a blight on whatever place they currently happen to be in. It's not that I condone this, it's just how it is. Society at large abhors the poorest of the poor.

And yeah, I've seen plenty of bodycam footage. Shows police officers basically murdering some people outright and other times it shows police officers being patience itself. Other times things end ugly because the suspect wouldn't drop their weapon. Some might've been mentally ill, of course, but there's no one telling the police officer that. It's not like it's obvious, you know. Besides, a psychotic rage isn't any less dangerous to everyone involved just because it's a mental illness. It's not like getting stabbed or shot by someone who has lost control is any less painful.

If you think the police generally applies excessive force, I recommend watching a few police training videos, especially on knives. Most people don't know how to properly process what they're seeing when they watch footage of police shootings. Again, I don't disagree with you per se, it's just that I'd like a more nuanced perspective. Does the police have internal and structural issues that regularly have devastating consequences? Absolutely. But it's not like they're just waiting for you to turn your back so they can shoot you.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the person is mentally ill or not.  If they have a weapon or are otherwise a danger to those around them, they need to be neutralized even if they are running away.

6 hours ago, markdf said:

Slavery is still happening in Libya (among other places).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/10/libya-public-slave-auctions-un-migration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_contemporary_Africa

https://www.religiousfreedomcoalition.org/2013/01/10/muslim-slave-market-footage-from-the-1960′s-and-modern-times/

4 hours ago, markdf said:

Just as often, you'll find body cam footage with clears police officers of all wrong doing if not more so. When misconduct occurs, it is a disquieting anomaly worthy of note much like a shoot out in the Old West. 

One of the problems with asking members of any group about their experiences is that there are few things which occur in everyone's lives at the same rate and even then, their  perceptions may affect the significance of those common events somewhat. That is why anecdotal evidence is discarded in just about every field of science. 

Some stereotypes in life are unfortunately very accurate no matter how much they might upset people. As far as unfair prejudice, It doesn't really need to be said most times because it is almost certainly felt. You can tell a lot from a persons expression and definitely their eyes.....or between the lines of what they write. Just take the U.S. President's beady little eyes and that thousand yard stare he gets when he dreams of an all- white america for instance- I'm still waiting for his version of "Mein Kampf" to be published btw.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Greeniewolf said:

The impression you have given me is such that I feel if I ever met you in person I would have to fear for my safety and that of anyone with me.  

That line you wrote kind of sums up the whole thread

and some of the local news.

----------------

@KoolHndLuke

I still wonder what most of these current threads are really about. 

But in your case I like hearing what you have to say.

On 9/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, wokking56 said:

Seriously dude! Is that what you really think the civil war was all about. Sure it was one of the issues but states rights encompassed so much more. As for naming schools and having a statue, why the F not they were American military men. So just because you don't like their politics they should be forgotten, well our founding fathers owned slaves so let's get Washington and Jefferson off our currency then (those slave owning SOBs). Hell good old "Honest Abe" himself said "If I could end this war without freeing a single slave I would." So let's get that a**hole off our money as well. I am so F***ing tired of hearing about the Confederate Flag or more appropriately "battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia". it has nothing at all to do with slavery or oppression. So if I flew the Union Jack in my yard I guess that would make me a British loyalist who wants the U.S. back as part of the U.K. Do you see how stupid that shit is. Let's not forget "He who refuses to learn from the past is destined to repeat it." How the hell are we supposed to learn if something is buried and suppressed. I wish people would just learn some real history for a change.

I guess the "Real American" military never did anything wrong though, that is unless you truly want me to list a few.

No man, seriously, fuck close-minded idiots.

The American Civil War was, first and foremost, about states' rights.

The US was established as a country with sovereign states.  This means the states were supposed to have had the right to self-determination.

The federal government changed or removed various aspects of that sovereignty over time.  Not all the changes or removals were bad or detrimental, but the fact is, they occurred.

When secession was declared (and I can't at the moment recall whether it was Maryland, Virginia, or Texas which first seceded), the PRIMARY reason for secession was states' rights.  However, unfortunately, the specific right listed in the primary articles of secession had to do with ownership of other human beings.

That got twisted and convoluted in with a lot of other things, and led to a massive, regrettable war.

However, the "Southern" or "Secession" states were not the only owners of slaves; nor were all slaves in the US of the same ethnic background.  Perhaps worse than slavery was the indenture system of the time.  A slave was valuable; an indenture was not.  Once the indenture had done enough work to satisfy the purchaser, s/he was sometimes released under the terms of the indenture, but it was more likely that s/he would have been worked to death.

Nor, of course, was the US the only country ever to have sanctioned, legalized, and encouraged the practice of slavery.  A good many countries still do so; the US is only the latest country to STOP doing so, and therefore, it's rather fresh in people's minds (for lack of a better way to put it).

As Wok mentioned, Lincoln himself did not give a damn one way or the other about slaves, slavery, or slave ownership.

His primary goal was to preserve the union -- and that was indeed a worthy goal.

So there you have *my* prejudice -- An utter disgust of people who know nothing of US history except what they get in school, and who never bother to research the realities, or talk to people who experienced the events in question.  Admittedly, it would be difficult to talk with people who were present during the American Civil War unless you held a seance or used a ouija board.  But the fact remains -- history is written by the victors, whether or not they were right, just, fair, or even honest.

Archived