Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KoolHndLuke

Witcher 3- Not Mod Worthy?

Recommended Posts

 Okay, so I finally finished this game....mostly and I loved it. So naturally I start looking for some mods to change a few things to keep the game fresh. To my surprise, there are not very many beyond some model swaps and different textures. I've heard about one quest mod, there still is not any good option to play as anyone other than Geralt, no new horse races or fighting mini-games, no new characters maybe, etc. Maybe I just haven't found some of those. But, there is no denying that the mod scene for this game never really got going.

 

I've read in some other forums from authors for mods in W3 that- despite what many think- it is possible to do quite a bit with this game mod-wise. I have also dug a little in the game and have found what I think could be used to restore some cut content at the least. Ciri, for instance, looks like she can use all the same functions and scripts as Geralt- meaning that she could set off on her own adventures somewhere. Or it could be another char or a brand new witcher char- this was also cut content.

 

So, the question is why haven't more people taken an interest in making mods for this wonderful game?:hushed:

Share this post


Link to post

Because CDPR lied, simple as.

 

They said there would be a CK level modding suite with redkit, and no such thing appeared. They didn't license or sublicense any of the tools, and the packager for the game is finicky as fuck and has severe content limits they said wouldn't be a thing, up to and including the amount of mods you can actually install on a 64 bit architecture.

 

Add to that that Geralt is a fixed dude in a fixed world, which also limits what you can really do with the character vehicle itself, and there's simply less modding potential overall compared to TES.

 

You can spin their lie as a white one of omission and realizing how expensive licensing would be after they made the statements they did or a black one of straight up of fabricating content they knew they had no way of supporting to drive long term sales, but what they promised didn't happen either way, and you'll notice they are being much more reserved with '77's aftermarket profile.

 

There's also the caveat of amount/popularity.

 

Skyrim sold 35 million unique copies, Witcher 3 sold 14-18 million as of now, which is about FO4 levels of sales, and you'll notice FO4's modding community and Witcher have about the same number of content creators.

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, 27X said:

FO4's modding community and Witcher have about the same number of content creators.

Where are you seeing this? Over 25,000 files for FO4 on Nexus vs not quite two and a half thousand for W3. Are there much more on another site? So, you are saying people aren't making mods for this because they can't? Or do they just not have any interest?

 

I would LOVE to see some kinky sex mods in this game!!

Share this post


Link to post

I'm saying number of continually producing authors, not number of files, you're never going to have the same number of files because you can't mod NEARLY the same amount of systems and content as in a CK game, that's one of the main issues. Redkit was supposed to be "CK for Witcher" and none of that materialized.

 

And it's both to the latter, there's a ton of basic shit you can't edit in witcher or to edit it you have to literally hack and inject, and because of that, there's little interest in wringing blood from a stone. Basically the best you could do now would be a dialog that made an animevent, and every time you wanted to change you'd have to update the tree and pick a new response, so imagine 0sex lite with a clompy full dialog menu stapled onto it that you'd have to access every time you wanted something interactive or dynamic as opposed to canned animations just playing out, and we haven't even got to camera control or NPC states or anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, that is a fucking shame. This game has so much potential just wasted because of how CDPR handled things. Wonder if Cyberpunk is going to be any better.

Share this post


Link to post

Given how quiet they've been, we'll just have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post

CDPR was working on a REDkit for The Witcher 3 as originally planned. Somebody leaked a February 2015 build of it on the Nexus, but it was quickly taken down. Modders who were able to grab it were not able to get it to work with the release version of the game. CDPR likely encountered an unforseen issue and scrapped it. 

Share this post


Link to post

It might be a combination of a lack of ability to make mods on the scale that they want to and a lack of interest from modders to mod the game due to the skill floor/ quality bar being a fair bit higher than most when it comes to adding products of one's head canon into a game.

 

As fun as mods like Vilja in Skyrim can be, it would likely be laughed off of the Witcher Nexus if that mod's crew tried to add something similar to the Witcher 3. It might even be derided as 'polluting' the purity of the Witcher 3 experience by the diehard fans.

 

Even if the mod tools existed, it is unlikely that new story-based mods would flood the Nexus due to the higher standards of the Witcher fanbase. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

As fun as mods like Vilja in Skyrim can be, it would likely be laughed off of the Witcher Nexus if that mod's crew tried to add something similar to the Witcher 3. It might even be derided as 'polluting' the purity of the Witcher 3 experience by the diehard fans.

 

That's a good point. Some Witcher fans, especially the ones who've read the books, can be quite intolerant of anything that they believe goes against lore or something "Geralt would never do".

 

Some modders are making a story based mod called "Farewell of the White Wolf" but they have to make it in The Witcher 2 because it has a REDkit. They imported a lot of assets from The Witcher 3.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

As fun as mods like Vilja in Skyrim can be, it would likely be laughed off of the Witcher Nexus if that mod's crew tried to add something similar to the Witcher 3. It might even be derided as 'polluting' the purity of the Witcher 3 experience by the diehard fans.

I was thinking more about post story adventures like the dlc. where you can maybe add a new adventure for Ciri in another world or something. Doesn't have to be very big or even have any dialogue. Surely something like that wouldn't offend any diehard fans? And too fucking bad if it does imo.:wink:

 

This game is just begging for more new content- new content that is half-way decent. I'm running around post game with Ciri right now and really liking it since she became a witcher in my finish anyway. It's fun to have her help out a little in battles.

 

Could the Redkit for W2 be utilized at all to help with W3? Sorry if that is a noob question.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the members of Team Triss are usually left to post on forums with not much of a fuss, so I would say the "diehard fans" are way more forgiving and simply look at  the casuals with a magnanimous indulgence ? I don't think any mod would generate much hostility. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I was thinking more about post story adventures like the dlc. where you can maybe add a new adventure for Ciri in another world or something. Doesn't have to be very big or even have any dialogue. Surely something like that wouldn't offend any diehard fans? And too fucking bad if it does imo.:wink:

 

This game is just begging for more new content- new content that is half-way decent. I'm running around post game with Ciri right now and really liking it since she became a witcher in my finish anyway. It's fun to have her help out a little in battles.

 

Could the Redkit for W2 be utilized at all to help with W3? Sorry if that is a noob question.

I can tell you for a fact that a large group of Triss fans were cyberbullied and cyberstalked but I don't think that would happen if someone created some additional Ciri content. If TW2 REDkit could be used for TW3 I'm sure modders would have done that by now. How many playthroughs have you done? TW3 is worth at least 2. Make different decisions and you'll see some new things.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Jeff_9 said:

How many playthroughs have you done? TW3 is worth at least 2

My first since I only recently got it to run decent on my pos pc. Gotta love new drivers! Still going back and finding missions or content I missed and I figure I've only explored about half the total world space. Just started Stone Hearts and haven't touched the other yet.

 

Too be honest, this game is pretty good on it's own. I only have about 8 mods installed. I'm still discovering new creatures/places/npcs/enemies after about 150 hrs of play. Too bad they cut the darts mini game and the dice because I would have liked that- I don't like Gwent and they pretty much force it on you every chance they can.

Share this post


Link to post

It's a damn shame, because that's a game that should have great mods by now, but like you said, the actual content is pretty lacking. Mostly it's just Big Boobed Yennefer/Triss/Ciri and some minor tweaks to the UI. It probably didn't help that every single patch to the game somehow broke compatibility with the majority of existing mods. Kind of like the chaos we're going through in Fallout 4 / Skyrim SE modding now, thanks to Bethesda's Creation Club and their constant horse armor updates.

 

The modding tool for W3 is ridiculous. I just wanted to add a line of dialogue to every quest involving Yennefer that would let me skip past all her content (I can't stand that woman). In Skyrim, that would be half an hour's work at most. In W3? I had no idea what I was looking at or even where to begin. Links to tutorials are broken, what info I can find seems outdated and no longer true. I gave up.

Share this post


Link to post

I use Geralt Doppler to change Geralt to someone else..usually Triss.  It's one of the better W3 mods imho, but you're right..there's a lack of mods for W3 compared to other games like F04 and Skyrim.  

 

And what Rooker said about game updates breaking mods in W3. It was such a PITA everytime they updated the game and in turn any mods I wanted to use had to be updated too. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, Rooker said:

It's a damn shame, because that's a game that should have great mods by now, but like you said, the actual content is pretty lacking. Mostly it's just Big Boobed Yennefer/Triss/Ciri and some minor tweaks to the UI. It probably didn't help that every single patch to the game somehow broke compatibility with the majority of existing mods. Kind of like the chaos we're going through in Fallout 4 / Skyrim SE modding now, thanks to Bethesda's Creation Club and their constant horse armor updates.

 

The modding tool for W3 is ridiculous. I just wanted to add a line of dialogue to every quest involving Yennefer that would let me skip past all her content (I can't stand that woman). In Skyrim, that would be half an hour's work at most. In W3? I had no idea what I was looking at or even where to begin. Links to tutorials are broken, what info I can find seems outdated and no longer true. I gave up.

Everyone is overlooking the most significant mod for The Witcher 3: Naked Geralt

It could be that no one felt that anything else needed to be added after that mod was created.

Share this post


Link to post

I mean even if we don't have proper modding tool if the game let us choose and customize our character instead of playing as Geralt. There will still be a tons of female body mod and outfit around. Sure you can replace Geralt with another model but that is not the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...