[Sims 4] erplederp's Hot Stuff - Sexy things for your sims! (04/09/20 - added Framed Beauty - Alina Vacariu!)

32 minutes ago, crabb said:

you're on a roll! Sweet stuff @erplederp

Thanks! Loved your shine packages by the way, mostly the subtler one which gives sort of an oiled skin impression. Do you think it would be possible to modify it to not cover the face? I've tried to do so, but it resulted in artefacting on the transition (on the neck) ?.

thank you! artifacting, so thats what it's called. It looks like broken glass right? Idk but thats a bummer if it cannot be avoided... I guess  I would start the break at the clavicle and run top over the shoulders so it doesn't distract on the face too much. My next sim shine project im gonna try and make something softer than whats already available so keeping the face as matte should be a little easier but I'll probably run into what you're speaking of

I was looking at your textures they're great I'll have to ask you some tips if you're using paint.net!

10 minutes ago, crabb said:

thank you! artifacting, so thats what it's called. It looks like broken glass right? Idk but thats a bummer if it cannot be avoided... I guess  I would start the break at the clavicle and run top over the shoulders so it doesn't distract on the face too much. My next sim shine project im gonna try and make something softer than whats already available so keeping the face as matte should be a little easier but I'll probably run into what you're speaking of

I was looking at your textures they're great I'll have to ask you some tips if you're using paint.net!

Yeah, exactly as you say, it looks like the broken glass and is a major PITA. I think there may be some weird thresholds or RGB-data interpretation in play when the game's shaders process the specular data. I am just completely guessing here tho. All I know is if there's simultaneously a color transition (especially from or to black), the rough transition of the shinyness is less noticeable to the player. In the end I considered something similar - just making a sharp transition at the lower part of the neck and possibly cover it by a necklace or choker ?.

Thank you for commending the textures. Currently I am using just GIMP, but I think all these tools are probably similar. One thing I have found out is that darker colors are less prone to artifacting when they meet the skin - that's why most of my clothing has black fabric as the base. Other thing is that adding a slight shadow to clothing pieces greatly improves the visual impression - it looks less painted-on. When it comes to shapes, I sometimes use other CC as a base to start with. Other than that I am using a lot of filling, blurring, erasing and layers...

Good luck with your next project, looking forward to it!

Yes! I have the same hunch. I'm fairly sure the game takes a look at the whole texture and makes an interpretation. when I was starting out I made a couple color swatches on the same texture and the resulting effect was totally random to me