Bethesda just announced TES6, Talk about it!

Will there actually be some SKSE type of functionality built into it this time around to avoid the issues of Special Edition ?

Perhaps, but only in-so-far as to enable them to sell you mods on console.

Will the CK be a "Club" only thing ?

I doubt it will be exclusively a "club" thing, as that might pose too much of a threat to their brand and provide too much of an argument for piracy, but you can be sure that the game will be developed with the inclusion of the paying club from the ground up.

how mod / modder friendly or unfriendly will this be ?

My guess is, same as Skyrim. I doubt we'll return to Oblivion's days where you didn't need external programs to generate behavior files for a simple pose, as nice as that would be.

In closing, I was and remain unimpressed. I skipped FO4, and I'll more than likely skip TES6.

42 minutes ago, Ensom said:

For a start, Location. The rocky landscapes and large mountains make me think of High Rock, what y'all think? 

I think it could still be literally anywhere. Remember that vast swaths of Cyrodiil were dense jungle before Todd saw Lord of the Rings and figured that would sell more.

How modder friendly or unfriendly it is will be HUGE.

If Skyrim had been mod unfriendly, it would have dropped off after its first year. Vanilla Skyrim is hardly satisfying and is filled with bugs (some game-breaking), aborted content quickly replaced with shoddy and boring filler (Civil War, I'm looking at you... and many other things besides...), and many other problems. People would have played through it and moved on.

In any case, this is simply an announcement that "Yes, we're making it", which I think most everyone assumed anyway. It could still be years away or disrupted by many things. It's okay to get excited... but not too much, ok? Don't forget how many times Valve said "Yes, we're making Half Life 3!" over a decade which eventually ended in nothing but the dispersal of Valve's creative team and effective shuttering of any further game development by them.

EDIT: Apparently Bethesda also stated during this press conference that TES6 will only be "coming after" after the release of their next game, the first of a newly planned franchise, called 'Starfield'. Who knows if "coming after" means "we're only doing preliminary design work" or "we're not doing anything at all yet".

I'm personally worried about how it will handle packages. Bethesda RPGs and modding are synonymous at this point. How they handle mods, how they plug into the game, that can make what types of mods allowed seamless, or a chore. You could have a philosophical debate over how mods have played a role in making bethesda popular, if you catch my drift. It's both ridiculous and fascinating how the potential of bethesda RPG mods shape the popularity of the RPGs. It's almost the same story of how VHS became popular.

Don't bother speculating...not yet at least.

They hardly have anything for Starfield, and they still need to show more of that; not even talking about release here, and TES6 is after that.

I think they pretty much just did teased TES6 just to get people off their backs (or in response to leaks.) Who knows how the CK, CC, or modding landscape will be like by then.

Cautiously optimistic, myself.  As has been mentioned here, we saw a landscape that could realistically exist in basically any of the provinces.  A rocky coastline with sparse vegetation is pretty ambiguous.  Assuming they don't do what they did with skyrim and timeskip, they'll probably want to have something to do with the dominion again, so a dominion province would be nice.  I wouldn't guess Summerset myself due to ESO's newest addition, but who knows, maybe by the time this is ready for release the expansion won't have that impact on the series.  Personally, I'm really curious to know what things will be added, removed or changed for gameplay more than the setting or story.  The steady reduction of skills since Morrowind, and then the absence of skills in FO4, sort of point to more reductions on that front, but maybe they'll have decided that's not where they want to go with it, who knows.  I'm also curious to see if there'll be the occasional dragon knocking around, or if players can learn shouts, though unless they're dragonborn and can steal the knowledge from dragons again it would have to be a pretty high end reward for hitting a skillcap or completing a convoluted quest line or something.  It'll be interesting to see what information comes out of the development of the game.

Personally I'm just hoping Bethesda picks somewhere that they can flex their creative muscles a little more than Skyrim and Oblivion did, get something with those weird, alien aspects that made morrowing feel so unique.  Also a bit more variety for things than ES4 and 5 had.  I was sad in both games when so many things that just made Morrowind feel a bit more full were gone, things some of the weapon variety (though most of your options in morrowind were more cosmetic than useful), loot items like the good old limeware stuff, and a wait function that passed almost instantly, though that one probably has a lot more to do with how much more the game needs to process as time passes.  My point is I'd like to see useless garbage make a return just because it looks nice and I like having a choice between two weapons with nearly identical stats but different looks.

TES VI gonna be a failure if they will try making mods harder. Mods are the only reason skyrim is doing so well ( 7yrs after release, 20k people playing is big for a solo player game). If they gonna force the creation club and make always online or some other shit, the game will die within 2yrs. So I am not hyping myself till I hear some statements about modding etc. Thats also why F:76 is worrying me.

Exciting but I'm also going to be extra careful with this one.

What really set the series apart was its modding community and I have a really bad feeling about it with this and creation club.

It will still sell by the millions, I suppose, because consoles and fanboys.

What we're seeing here are coasts, bordered by quite high rockly mountains, and a quite traditional tower/castle ruin on the left. Vegetation does not seems dense enough to be Valenwood either. There were some mushrooms-like structures in Summerset if I recall, though probably not everywhere. So my guess is also that this is Highrock, but a coast part of Summerset isn't discarded. million_dollar_baby.gif

Now unless they do add a bit of Hammerfel to it this is quite a disappointing choice as it wouldn't be nearly as exotic or artistically ambitious than the Black Marsh, Valenwood, or Elsweyr could be. Summerset might have more potential though, and is a possibility.

As for the game's potential itself, it'll depend of what they'll do regarding gameplay and mods obviously. Too soon to say anything regarding that, even more considering what they're gonna try/manage/Fail with their immediate projects will have an impact on their choices.

Cautiously optimistic, myself.  As has been mentioned here, we saw a landscape that could realistically exist in basically any of the provinces. 

Angle of the coast and light, the type of terrain they spent money on and and the lack of snow means mean High Rock or Hammerfell or both. Hammerfell's pretty much a gimme because it allows BGS to show how pander-progressive they are by putting a black female MC front and center for the promotional art, and the HoonDing has built in bullshit prophecy Chosen One™ powers so they don't even have to fuck with progression or think of a set of mechanics that change gameplay in a way that the series hasn't done before in a new (and expensive) way.

High Rock is also directly next to the only northern tower the Thalmor haven't taken, and so directly leads from Skyrim's MQ, it's also the tower the Thalmor need to take to unmake Mundus, which is their openly stated goal.

No jungle, no walking trees, no locked deciduous desert, and distinctly human/imperial style fortifications.

Pretty obvious where it is, and it's rather unlikely bgs is going to waste the kind of money they had to just throw people off the trail, quite the opposite.

Akavir

BGS isn't going to make a game with no humans in it.

Ever.

25 minutes ago, ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir said:

Creation ENGINE?

Probably a modified build of the Creation ENGINE, but development is so far out that that clip is likely just concept/promotional art and not anything even close to being an in-engine shot. I get the feeling that the only reason why Bethesda announced anything regarding it at all this far out is because they expected a fair amount of backlash from Fallout 76's direction and they wanted to diffuse a bit of the negative whirlwind blowing back at them. It's a smokescreen announcement, breaking from recent tradition of only announcing games a few months before release - and they did it twice during the closing (Starfield and TES6 both).

Bethesda knows that FO76 isn't what people want, but they're going to push for it anyhow, because they want those paid mod microtransactions as a revenue source. And once the casuals and console masses get a wiff of it and it (they hope) sells well - they can justify pushing the model as something the community responded to well. (or if it doesn't, they can lie and obfuscate the numbers while claiming it's a massive success - still making tons of cash from whales they otherwise wouldn't have)

A teaspoon of sugar to make the bitter pill go down easier.

33 minutes ago, 27X said:

BGS isn't going to make a game with no humans in it. Ever.

I (sadly) agree with you on this, but that doesn't mean they can't try to do Akavir, they would simply replace Tsaesci with humans.

Considering the amount of people in /r/teslore and elsewhere that for some unknown reason would rather have them as "lame fantasy Japanese people" aka humans rather than "badass humanoid snakes" (because if there majority of the population isn't made up of humans the setting isn't fun anymore somehow?), I could see Bethesda going for the same. Boom, humans pretty much everywhere. The Kamal are said to be "snow demons" but at no point is is specified whether they are humanoid or not, so they could simply make them the Akaviri version of Snow Elves.

Hopefully the Po'Tun would still be non-humans since they are (AFAIK) explicitly said to be tiger people, but knowing Beth they could screw them up as well somehow because casuels don't like beast races.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!"

After sixteen winters I've handed the symbols of the wood elf - the bow and the arrow - to the woman in the Commonwealth since there is no magical supply of ammunition just a click away as Bethesda wants to make us believe. All the future might and magic to the next generations that don't know better, the mind tricks of old that promise improvements next time while delivering one deterioration after the other for the sake of the shareholders don't work with me anymore.

1 hour ago, ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir said:

Creation ENGINE?

To me this doesn't look like ingame graphic or the creation engine. They are probably so early in development there was nothing to show. I think the pressure from the public to address the next TES game in some way was just too large and this is what they did. It's nothing more than a "hey guys, we are working on this, but it's far away".

They are probably targeting the next console generation with this anyway, so I'll expect something like 2021/22 or so.

I think they stay with the Creation Engine, as it is perfectly tailored for their style of games and rewriting an entire engine from the scratch is just a crazy amount of work... but on the other hand, if they'd ever to that it would be for a new TES game on a new console generation. 

I hope this is something like Hammerfell+ High Rock combined, this'll give them plenty of space and climates etc. to work with and it's still a realistic size for a game of that ambition.