Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

Reginald_001

2 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

@labradoorhandle

They can't crack down on mesh and texture swap. I used to mesh and texture swap for FFXI for nearly 8 years back in the days and it was against their terms. But since it was only cosmetic changes viewable from my end, they couldn't do anything about it.

As far as the script files, they'll more than likely do something about that to avoid exploits.

Of course they can, if computers couldn't verify data integrity they'd have little use. It can be too costly to implement due to things like development or processing costs though.

In the case of Fallout 76 it's likely easy to implement a basic block. Remember they already added functions to both the Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE executables to look for specific content - creation club assets. So it's not like they have to put effort into figuring out something new. Just modify that code to look for the presence of overriding Textures or Meshes folders instead and disconnect the client. There are more ways to tackle the problem of course but that's probably the simplest and quickest.

I doubt they'd do much more than that though. From Fallout 76's PC specific functionality, or rather lack thereof, along with Bethesda's response about wanting to "create a consistent experience no matter what platform you’re on" when this was pointed out it's clear they want to avoid diverting extra resources to the platform.

6 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

@labradoorhandle

They can't crack down on mesh and texture swap. I used to mesh and texture swap for FFXI for nearly 8 years back in the days and it was against their terms. But since it was only cosmetic changes viewable from my end, they couldn't do anything about it.

As far as the script files, they'll more than likely do something about that to avoid exploits.

They can, there were at one point at least 2 mmo's that verified the game files every time you ran the game to play it, no way around, you wanted to play, the game verified the files.

All that would need to be done is #check each file and compare to a server side list, tedious and it would slow down the game launch but they could do it if they wanted to.  If they wanted to take it further they could check file names and directory structure at the same time, if not on the valid list, delete before launch.

1 hour ago, Varithina said:

They can, there were at one point at least 2 mmo's that verified the game files every time you ran the game to play it, no way around, you wanted to play, the game verified the files.

All that would need to be done is #check each file and compare to a server side list, tedious and it would slow down the game launch but they could do it if they wanted to.  If they wanted to take it further they could check file names and directory structure at the same time, if not on the valid list, delete before launch.

Its doable but whether the time to checksum every mesh or texture is worth it is another matter and it could possibly screw up more legit mods like larger or different color target pointers and stuff for low vision users like me :)
World of Tanks has approved mods that include stuff like friendly fire disablement, auto repair, extra battle chat options and showing opponents win rates but won't allow aim enhancing at tank weak points or fire tracing mods. Its 100% impossible of course to alter damage or armor ratings but there are some pretty elaborate cheats like bot clients that grind accounts by being AFK but move or fire to avoid being detected (for some stupid reason the game gives a share of battle XP to A
FK tanks in a team) They had a cheat purge a year ago for a few thousand accounts. Yet people have still shown just by looking at stats there are accounts that are playing 24/7.

But bots mean more players online which looks good in KPI's just look at how much pressure it took the Second Life community to have something done about bots when a large percentage online were bots. People were farming sim popularity by filling their store with bots so much they hit the sim population limits and they were losing sales because only one or 2 customers at a time could enter the sim, if that. It was funny to see one botter complain in the forums that their monthly sales were nil when it was actually impossible for customers avatars to enter the sim because there were 100 bot account avatars hidden in a hole under the building.

Overwatch had a big cheat purge a year or so ago or over 1000 accounts.

I suspect Beth are pretty naïve when it comes to cheating possibilities compared to any MMO that has cash prize tournaments, I don't see FO76 lasting as long as WoW or even CoH.

40 minutes ago, Halstrom said:

Its doable but whether the time to checksum every mesh or texture is worth it is another matter and it could possibly screw up more legit mods like larger or different color target pointers and stuff for low vision users like me :)
World of Tanks has approved mods that include stuff like friendly fire disablement, auto repair, extra battle chat options and showing opponents win rates but won't allow aim enhancing at tank weak points or fire tracing mods. Its 100% impossible of course to alter damage or armor ratings but there are some pretty elaborate cheats like bot clients that grind accounts by being AFK but move or fire to avoid being detected (for some stupid reason the game gives a share of battle XP to A
FK tanks in a team) They had a cheat purge a year ago for a few thousand accounts. Yet people have still shown just by looking at stats there are accounts that are playing 24/7.

But bots mean more players online which looks good in KPI's just look at how much pressure it took the Second Life community to have something done about bots when a large percentage online were bots. People were farming sim popularity by filling their store with bots so much they hit the sim limits and they were losing sales because only one or 2 customers at a time could enter the sim, if that.

Overwatch had a big cheat purge a year or so ago or over 1000 accounts.

I suspect Beth are pretty naïve when it comes to cheating possibilities compared to any MMO that has cash prize tournaments, I don't see FO76 lasting as long as WoW or even CoH.

Yup, it does boil down to how much hassle is it, and to be honest the only mmo I really play and even then it is not too often is anarchy online, which is as far as I am aware pretty much as old as wow.

And I do not really pay that much attention to mmo, as I can not really be bothered with the arse's you find playing most of them.  Sure there are a load of good people play them but the dross outnumber the good people by a large percentage in most mmo.

16 hours ago, TheOtherGuy said:

A lot of the FO76 bashing comes from people expecting another Fallout 4. It may have the same skin as Fallout 4, but it is nothing like Fallout 4. Dare I say Fallout 76 is the complete opposite of FO4. FO4 had an unbearable storyline that it crammed down your throat, and you couldn't make your own character. You were always the parent of a poorly written, kid-friendly Oedipus complex no matter what name or face you gave your character. Here, you're on your own with your friends and you make your own story. Bethesda Game Studios has always been about making your own story while exploring the world. It was severely lacking in FO4, so now BGS swung to the other extreme and completely forgone the story and made a huge world.

And yes, it has many of the same assets as Fallout 4. Don't hate on BGS since they've been more busy on Starfield while letting their new multiplayer studio handled 76.

I played Fallout 76 and must say it's as if they made their own version of Fallout Frost. It's not for everyone, but a Fallout survival game can be pretty wicked.

In addition, there are already mods out for it before it's even released. Sure they may all be client-side mods, but they definitely pave the way for what's possible. I do suspect that if Caliente gets on board, we may even have model swapping only days after release.

While there certainly are people who have a hateboner for Bethesda and would love nothing more than to see them fail, I don't think that's the entire issue here. I personally was pretty excited when they announced it at E3, because a survival crafting game from a big publisher sounded interesting to me when previously, it had mostly been the realm of early access cash grabs like DayZ or Rust which have zero content other than PvP. But the heavy handed railroading that happens in FO76 kills it for me, it's not your average theme park MMO for fuck's sake. The way the game works is that it forces you to play with level appropiate gear in a level appropiate area for your character because otherwise you'll get stuff you can't use because reasons. PvP and building are also broken, so there's that.

11 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

While there certainly are people who have a hateboner for Bethesda and would love nothing more than to see them fail, I don't think that's the entire issue here. I personally was pretty excited when they announced it at E3, because a survival crafting game from a big publisher sounded interesting to me when previously, it had mostly been the realm of early access cash grabs like DayZ or Rust which have zero content other than PvP. But the heavy handed railroading that happens in FO76 kills it for me, it's not your average theme park MMO for fuck's sake. The way the game works is that it forces you to play with level appropiate gear in a level appropiate area for your character because otherwise you'll get stuff you can't use because reasons. PvP and building are also broken, so there's that.

I was super excited for it as well. Preordered the Tricentennial edition, watched the beta timer countdown to zero and wasn't even mad when that was immediately followed by the launcher crashing and all my predownload files being deleted. I wanted to love this game, but it ended up being probably the most boring game I have ever tried. The last day I played the beta I logged in, looked at it and immediately logged out, I just couldn't muster any desire to play it.

It feels like a tech demo, like the world that was built to show off a potential setting and now it's just waiting for all the things that make it a game to be added. 

Well the multiplayer games run by companies with decades of online experience don't need to verify your game files, this would take forever on some PCs with e.g. WoW having 60GB nowadays. They directly check the memory and processes where they can listen for manipulations in runtime.

But even a game like WoW which is heavily policed - they occasionally ban entire guilds for using exploits for example - still has the cheaters here and there. Haven't done instanced PvP in ages, but last time i checked there were mostly bots in random BGs, coordinated to one zerg by a central server.

Things like fishing bots always were fairly common, but i guess they don't want to lose players over something that doesn't directly impact other players.

Then compare games like GTA Online, which (judging by the reviews and comments) apparently are a hacker's paradise where people can fly around on their bikes and make money rain from the sky, while only the honest and stupid are getting banned.

Can't say how much of these rumors are true, but if GTA5 is still a top seller despite these problems then Bethesda won't care about cheaters and hackers as well. Todd Howard even said that they want some kind of drama in the game, and in a competitive PvP environment made by an incompetent developer you just have to add 1+1 to see what's coming.

Sounds like they didn't take anything away from the B.E.T.A. in terms of fundamental changes.

From these notes, it looks like the BETA will be very representative of the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9v0886/beta_thankyou_and_addressing_your_feedback/

Hi all,

We’d like to extend our sincerest thanks to everyone who played the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. The stories you’ve been sharing, the feedback you’ve provided, and the issues you’ve made us aware of have been appreciated along this journey.

We’ve been reading everyone’s comments and wanted to share some of what will be addressed on or close to launch and what we’re investigating post-launch.

We encourage you to keep sharing it with us whether that’s on Reddit, social channels like Twitter and Facebook, and our official forums.

Thank you again for your continued support.

• Ultra-Wide Support: We will support 21:9 post launch. Once available, or shortly before, we’ll be sure to post our patch notes that let you know when to expect it.

• Larger Stash Size: We’ve seen this one come up a lot and understand the frustration. While the Stash size at 400 weight limit can get easier to deal with over time, we do plan on increasing it in the future.

• Push-to-Talk [UPDATED]: While we aim to create a consistent experience no matter what platform you’re on, we understand that some of you on PC would like the option for Push-to-Talk. Our goal with voice chat being on by default is to highlight that the world is alive with real people, other players like you. We like to start with encouraging player interaction and will look into adding this in the future be adding this in the near future.

• FOV Slider: We haven’t supported FOV sliders in our previous games as it is known to break a lot of animations and causes a lot of clipping to occur onscreen. You do have the option to zoom out in third person on PC by holding View and moving the mousewheel, but we won’t be able to have it for first person view.

• Exploits of Various Types: Many exploits we’ve seen reported have been known and will be addressed in a future update.

• Issues with social menu and inviting friends/making teams/etc.: Those who were experiencing issues with the social components will find that many of these issues have been fixed. We will continue to fix issues as they arise as fast as we’re able to, so keep letting us know when you run into them.

• Hunger not being sated: Some were saying their “Hunger bar” wouldn’t replenish no matter how much they ate or how cleared of diseases they were. This issue has been addressed and will be in a future update so no more hungry dwellers.

• Loud Gunshot/Noises: The issue of players hearing sudden random gunshot/loud sounds around Appalachia will be addressed in a future update near launch.

I'm

On 11/9/2018 at 10:43 PM, SpyVsPie said:

I was super excited for it as well. Preordered the Tricentennial edition, watched the beta timer countdown to zero and wasn't even mad when that was immediately followed by the launcher crashing and all my predownload files being deleted. I wanted to love this game, but it ended up being probably the most boring game I have ever tried. The last day I played the beta I logged in, looked at it and immediately logged out, I just couldn't muster any desire to play it.

It feels like a tech demo, like the world that was built to show off a potential setting and now it's just waiting for all the things that make it a game to be added. 

Its a kind of slippery slope, but this game has the ominous feeling of being a test to force always online on Bethesda's next games. Adding online functions just to force people to keep connected.

1 minute ago, Kargrin said:

I'm

Its a kind of slippery slope, but this game has the ominous feeling of being a test to force always online on Bethesda's next games. Adding online functions just to force people to keep connected.

Slippery slopes are real, but not every slope is a slippery one...

I mean, you can either spend your time worrying constantly about some possible future calamity, or just enjoy what you have now and deal with that calamity if it ever actually happens.

As for FO76, so far I think they've made a legitimately great Co-op PvE experience*; the first in an unequivocally Fallout world; and they implemented a microtransaction scheme that's so limp and strictly cosmetic that I honestly can't find a single thing on the Atom Store to throw my freely accumulated Atoms at. At least in BETA.

If this is their idea of a slippery slope, they sure built in a lot of strangely convenient ropes, and stairs, and handrails.

* If you're a PvP player there are legitimately a range of game-breaking or immersion-breaking issues at the moment. But you're also very clearly in a minority group of players, kinda like us Lefties who have to find some way to deal with the shitty non-rebindable keys.  It sucks, but don't lose sight of the big picture.

19 hours ago, Kargrin said:

I'm

That's a shot in the oven, there was only one online game (MMORPG) the players until today captivates. 
WoW old but reliable, no other game will achieve this success, and Bethesda without online experience, becomes soundless go under!
far better online games have disappeared, because the numbers of players have gone down.

Here's a Let's Play from the Beta, sorry on German

Spoiler

dead empty world, but with a working fauna, in a radiation contaminated world.

that deserves an applause ?

giphy.gif

All MMORPGs are online games but not all online games are MMORPGs. That being said, there have been a couple of successful MMORPGs in the past. Nothing to rival WoW of course, but they can hold their own, for now. Since the player count per server is so low in FO76 (24 iirc) the game doesn't need a big population to work.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:18 PM, winny257 said:

That's a shot in the oven, there was only one online game (MMORPG) the players until today captivates. 
WoW old but reliable, no other game will achieve this success, and Bethesda without online experience, becomes soundless go under!
far better online games have disappeared, because the numbers of players have gone down.

Here's a Let's Play from the Beta, sorry on German

Reveal hidden contents

dead empty world, but with a working fauna, in a radiation contaminated world.

that deserves an applause ?

giphy.gif

But you also picked out the biggest Noob there is.
Coya can do a lot (a bread can do more) - but not Fallout (no matter which part)

Look at Aldermar (is a noob, but build) but not totally stupid.

And although both Youtubers do not really know - they seem to like it.

Me too - only the price is a bit high. I will just wait and you just keep going with "bad mood"

Da hast du aber auch den größten Noob rausgesucht, den es gibt.
Coya kann viel (ein Brot kann mehr) - aber nicht Fallout (egal welcher Teil)

Sieh dir lieber Aldermar an (ist zwar auch ein Noob, bezüglich bauen) aber nicht völlig verblödet.

Und obwohl beide Youtuber nicht wirklich Ahnung haben - es scheint ihnen zu gefallen.

Mir auch - nur der Preis ist etwas hoch. Ich werde einfach warten und du machst einfach weiter mit "schlechte Laune".

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

But you also picked out the biggest Noob there is.
Coya can do a lot (a bread can do more) - but not Fallout (no matter which part)

Look at Aldermar (is a noob, but build) but not totally stupid.

And although both Youtubers do not really know - they seem to like it.

Me too - only the price is a bit high. I will just wait and you just keep going with "bad mood"

Da hast du aber auch den größten Noob rausgesucht, den es gibt.
Coya kann viel (ein Brot kann mehr) - aber nicht Fallout (egal welcher Teil)

Sieh dir lieber Aldermar an (ist zwar auch ein Noob, bezüglich bauen) aber nicht völlig verblödet.

Und obwohl beide Youtuber nicht wirklich Ahnung haben - es scheint ihnen zu gefallen.

Mir auch - nur der Preis ist etwas hoch. Ich werde einfach warten und du machst einfach weiter mit "schlechte Laune".

Spoiler

he is the best and richest Let's Player in Germany. :classic_smile:

he is quite sure no noob and nevertheless it does not get better.
Beth should stay at Single Player Games although only a game a milestone was.
but it does not change anything, every Elder Scroll Game and Fallout was til today full of bugs! :classic_wink:

er ist ganz sicher kein noob und trotzdem wird es nicht besser.
Beth sollte bei Single Player Games bleiben, obwohl nur ein Spiel ein meilenstein war.
aber es ändert nichts, jedes Elder Scroll Game und Fallout war voller Bugs, bis heute!

Hi everyone! I'm quite sure I'm wrong posting this here because this is specifically for Fallout 4, but as 76 is heavily based on 4 I thought it would be the best place to get everyone's thoughts on this.

So I've been trying to get CBBE working with Fallout 76 using the Baka Loose File Tool, and while I've been able to copy a body and hand mesh over and get all the textures going, for some reason the body's normal map seems to be messed up somehow while the hand's model seems to be okay. Maybe it's still loading the base game's normal map or there's something in the .nif I need to look for? For reference, I've uploaded a JPG copy of the normal map I've been using, named as "femalebody_n". Here's the output from Baka File Tool's "TempArchiveFileList - Textures.txt".

...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehandsdirty_d.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehandsdirty_l.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehandsdirty_n.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehands_d.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehands_l.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehands_n.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\basefemalehands_r.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebodydirty_d.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebodydirty_l.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebodydirty_n.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebodydirty_r.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebody_d.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebody_l.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebody_n.dds
...\fallout 76\data\textures\actors\character\basehumanfemale\femalebody_r.dds

Anyone know what's going on here and maybe how to fix it?

Thank you!

Photo_2018-11-15-101806.png

Photo_2018-11-15-101825.png

femalebody_n.jpg

Photo_2018-11-15-105707.png

Photo_2018-11-15-105711.png

On 6/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, Irrational said:

My biggest issue is how the nukes are used. It looks like a mass griefing tool at the moment, and without knowing more details about it, it currently sounds like a machanic that discourages base building. On the other hand dedicated servers with mod support means LL Orgy server XD.

It begins. Trolls/ Griefers found the way to get nukes easily. I totally called it. https://kotaku.com/players-have-already-found-a-ways-to-cheat-fallout-76s-1830473023

8 hours ago, Outlast1 said:

Here is Jims impression and wow he is none to happy about this game.

Hide contents

Some of us already suspected what Jim said about Bugthesda's lack of experience making an MMO and what that resulted in. :classic_tongue: I wonder if they understand that an MMO is not a one-off thing like a single player where the initial purchase comprises the majority of the profit?

Been playing it since launch. The saddest part to me is that there's a skeleton of a really good Fallout game in here if they had just stuck to what they know and made it single player. The world is cool, the characters and groups are interesting but you can't shake the feeling that you arrived after all the interesting stuff happened. The stuff you'd want to see in a Fallout set SO close to the war... it's already happened and you missed it.

1 hour ago, Contessa said:

Been playing it since launch. The saddest part to me is that there's a skeleton of a really good Fallout game in here if they had just stuck to what they know and made it single player. The world is cool, the characters and groups are interesting but you can't shake the feeling that you arrived after all the interesting stuff happened. The stuff you'd want to see in a Fallout set SO close to the war... it's already happened and you missed it.

Very well said, couldn't agree more.

The essence of FO76 for me was finding a faction composed of firefighters who used their firefighting gear to go out and kick some Scorched ass in toxic environments (such a great idea, tons of potential), but they were (of course) all dead and all that remained was a quest to quite literally push a button, then walk to another button with no enemies along the way, then walk back to the first button. 

what's sad about this game is that this location (WV) is now ruined. it's not like they are gonna make a new game in the future in the same locale. I remember FO3 and going to places that are actually close to me IRL and how cool that was. so now WV and John Denver's song is tied to this steaming pile of dung all for this (see attached pic)

shakedown.jpg

I'm actually enjoying it so far, and the only gripe I have about it yet is the abysmal texture optimization. High quality textures uses over 4 GB of VRAM, and since my card only has 4 GB the game turns into a slideshow unless I use medium quality textures. Unfortunately, medium quality textures look like complete ass; everything looks blurry and shiny like it all has a coating of vaseline on it. The difference in quality between medium and high textures is just massive.

I could play FO4 with high quality textures with many high-res retexture mods and didn't use up all of my VRAM.

I hope the textures get optimized by either an official patch or by a mod so I can use high quality. Using medium quality, and looking at the garbage textures on my pip boy every time I bring my wrist to my face is honestly killing my desire to play.

5 hours ago, Unknown Zombie said:

I'm actually enjoying it so far, and the only gripe I have about it yet is the abysmal texture optimization. High quality textures uses over 4 GB of VRAM, and since my card only has 4 GB the game turns into a slideshow unless I use medium quality textures. Unfortunately, medium quality textures look like complete ass; everything looks blurry and shiny like it all has a coating of vaseline on it. The difference in quality between medium and high textures is just massive.

I could play FO4 with high quality textures with many high-res retexture mods and didn't use up all of my VRAM.

I hope the textures get optimized by either an official patch or by a mod so I can use high quality. Using medium quality, and looking at the garbage textures on my pip boy every time I bring my wrist to my face is honestly killing my desire to play.

Bugthesda caters to console players, whose systems cannot handle textures higher than 2k resolution. Not even so-called "4k systems" like the XBOX One X. So them improving the textures is not going to happen. As for mods that do such? We don't even know if they'll follow through on their promise of allowing mods.

Archived