[Question]What was your most disapointing/dumbest quest you have done?

The Helgen start.

Woodsman30's points plus . . .

You get to Riverwood and do Bleak Falls. You then go to Whiterun and pick up the dragonstone gig. So, traipse all the way back to Bleak Falls and all the way through the barrow? Damn stone also weighs a fucking ton/tonne.

Vanilla Skyrim? Just say no. Free-sytyle with mods.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, The First Lady of Hats said:

This. So much this.

Pulling off the perfect heist, plenty of lockpicks, undetected so far, pick up a tankard because it's between the strongbox and your crosshair. BOOM the entire keep makes a beeling for you to tell you what a great find your pewter cup is and how they wish they'd grabbed it first.

Even more worser. When you drop something to lighten your load and some do-gooder hands it back.

And then there is  . . .

You are happily using, say, an alchemy table when some fuckwit walks across the room to stand next to you saying "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . ."Did you want something?" . . .  "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . .

4 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Even more worser. When you drop something to lighten your load and some do-gooder hands it back.

For real fun, do favor quests for the riften townsfolk.

Drop a flawless amethyst in the middle of the market place.

Stand back and watch the entire town murder it'self trying to claim it.

3 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

For real fun, do favor quests for the riften townsfolk.

Drop a flawless amethyst in the middle of the market place.

Stand back and watch the entire town murder it'self trying to claim it.

you forgot to tell the "rest of the story" ,  after getting tired of watching the melee you leave and go do some other stuff, and end up in Solitude a week later to sell

loot, and up runs Madesi (or whoever) to hand it back telling you "i think you dropped this".

7 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

And then there is  . . .

You are happily using, say, an alchemy table when some fuckwit walks across the room to stand next to you saying "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . ."Did you want something?" . . .  "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . . "Did you want something?" . . .

Oh god, this happens so damn much when my character is in a sex scene. Even better is when the babbling NPC clips into my character and her sex partner and is thus repositioned standing directly on top of one us as we do our thing.

As far as boring quests go the Slavery Enforcement and Fugitive Retrieval Unit questline in Slaverun is starting to test my patience. They are still 7 holds in Skyrim to bring to heel and the damn masters are wasting my time collecting a few individual slaves for that one dimensional git Igor (That oaf better hope I don't get a chance to kill him). And now I got to wait 5 game days to see if some jackass pays back his debt or we collect his whiny girlfriend:sleeping: Can this stupid questline end already so we can get back to the meat? Why is my slave character showing more ambition than her slavers?

On 6/1/2018 at 6:16 AM, Grey Cloud said:

Due to stuff like this and to encourage quicker despawning I've gotten used to always depositing unwanted loot into an enemy corpse or generic container. So yeah, my girl will go up to a bandit she killed, take all his gold and light weight possessions, then stuff his backpack with a bunch of iron weapons for some reason :classic_rolleyes:

7 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Due to stuff like this and to encourage quicker despawning I've gotten used to always depositing unwanted loot into an enemy corpse or generic container. So yeah, my girl will go up to a bandit she killed, take all his gold and light weight possessions, then stuff his backpack with a bunch of iron weapons for some reason :classic_rolleyes:

do that to a wolf, i can just imagine the look on some peasants face when they come across the corpse.  he says (with a dumbfounded look) 

"how did someone manage to stuff 38 iron daggers, and 4 iron war axes down his throat??" ?

On 5/28/2018 at 8:31 PM, SmedleyDButler said:

[...]

Honourable mention to all the dumb vanilla miniquests which offer no chance of actual roleplaying choices. Walk into a spooky house to help clear out evil spirits? Well, you can leave an old man to rot in bandit's cells, or swear allegiance to Molag Bal! Happen to trip over a bunch of cultists praising Boethiah? Hope you're ready to feed them a companion!

Thankfully there are mods to fix all of these, but geez.... LAME.

You can actually kill all the Boethiah cultists at their shrine.

I've once done that and Boethiah just possessed the last one killed to talk to me.

Didn't expect something like that at all.

57 minutes ago, Sceadugengan said:

I've once done that and Boethiah just possessed the last one killed to talk to me.

Well, the only problem with that, is that at that point, you still need to find someone in order to continue the quest, though I think you can still say no at that point, but it likely doesn't end the quest at all. 

Which is just like some other quests, wherein the role playing choice lies in getting the quest to a certain point, and then just not finishing the quest, because technically you only have one option to actually finish the quest, which may not be what you want to do. 

1 hour ago, Sceadugengan said:

31 minutes ago, Kuroyami said:

Well, the only problem with that, is that at that point, you still need to find someone in order to continue the quest, though I think you can still say no at that point, but it likely doesn't end the quest at all.

One of the few quest that the reward is fairly decent with the "Ebony-mail" I use it for my fish killer when I go swimming and there are slaughter fish there. It does a quick job on them so I can be one my way and my follower wont stay underwater trying to get them.

If no one else has mentioned it, the Civil War battles. It really irks me that Bugthesda had plans and even files still in the game for more elaborate quests but dropped them for massive melees that tend to crash my game thanks to all the damn scripts unless I use the killall console command. You're the Dragonborn, for fuck's sake! Why would the Empire--much less the Stormcloaks--send you off to battle like some grunt? Why not put your obviously superior abilities to better use by assassinating key officers, planting misinformation, or sabotaging things the other side needs?

I actually blame whomever was responsible for pushing the game out in time for the Xmas '11 shopping season for that failure. Like I said, they'd worked on more content but had to cut it short. All too likely to meet some deadline.

1 hour ago, Kuroyami said:

Which is just like some other quests, wherein the role playing choice lies in getting the quest to a certain point, and then just not finishing the quest, because technically you only have one option to actually finish the quest, which may not be what you want to do. 

Now that you mention it I remember something like that.

That greedy fuck Boethiah.

Sorry, it's been a while since I bothered with that shrine.

5 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

If no one else has mentioned it, the Civil War battles. It really irks me that Bugthesda had plans and even files still in the game for more elaborate quests but dropped them for massive melees that tend to crash my game thanks to all the damn scripts unless I use the killall console command. You're the Dragonborn, for fuck's sake! Why would the Empire--much less the Stormcloaks--send you off to battle like some grunt? Why not put your obviously superior abilities to better use by assassinating key officers, planting misinformation, or sabotaging things the other side needs?

I actually blame whomever was responsible for pushing the game out in time for the Xmas '11 shopping season for that failure. Like I said, they'd worked on more content but had to cut it short. All too likely to meet some deadline.

Given the quests involving infiltrating Riften/Markarth for blackmail leverage on key people or delivering faked documents (that you stole) for Dawnstar (with a clever "Why aren't you in uniform/Why are you in THAT uniform? dialog choice) to draw reinforcements away from the fort, working as a special agent would be far more fitting for the game. This isn't Rainbow Six or even Icewind Dale or Baulder's gate where you're playing a team, or able to have and manage more than a single follower and now you're supposed to participate in a grand melee? And you're not even a praetor or a Stormcloak with the fancy bear head/paw armor?

I think the largest group fight outside of the civil war would either be in Sovnguarde with the 3 ancient heroes, or with Delphine and Esbern attacking Karthspire if you didn't clear it out first. The game just isn't setup for large battles since there is no way to give orders to groups of NPCs. I don't bother with the CW restoring mods for that reason.

Probably the vanilla quest in Riften where you have to steal a gem from a merchant stall. I always hated that quest cause it was so dumb and mindnumbing compared to all the cool thief quests in Oblivion. Some of the thief quests were pretty cool though, but that particular one was terrible.

Second probably be the radiant quests. I put it second just cause I thought that thief quest was worse, and at least you can ignore radiant quests but can't ignore the thief quest if want to join the thieves. But radiant quests never felt like quests to me and were all pretty boring lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So for shits and giggles I loaded to a prior save before I ever went to Riften with nothing but a iron dagger one coin in my pocket and beggars clothes on. Brynjolf walks up to me and says " never worked an honest day for all that coin you carry" huge face palm.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sceadugengan said:

Now that you mention it I remember something like that.

That greedy fuck Boethiah.

Sorry, it's been a while since I bothered with that shrine.

Not to mention that, at that point, it is just awkward to have the quest progress like that, because it is effectively a backpedal on progress, like a suggestion where you can't skip past the idea of sacrificing someone, even if she is going to make you and the rest of her followers fight to the death anyway, and you trying to skip past it means she isn't going to care. 

Though I've usually made it better by using EFF, where you can say force likely any NPC in the game to be a follower - like getting one of the guards from Kynesgrove as a follower, and then taking them over to the shrine. A better option might be getting say the Boethia priestess(or any others at the shrine) as a follower with that mod, sacrificing them, and proceeding with the quest. There may be other mods to do that in a more immersive way, though. 

On 6/16/2018 at 6:02 PM, Sylandras said:

Probably the vanilla quest in Riften where you have to steal a gem from a merchant stall. I always hated that quest cause it was so dumb and mindnumbing compared to all the cool thief quests in Oblivion. Some of the thief quests were pretty cool though, but that particular one was terrible.

Second probably be the radiant quests. I put it second just cause I thought that thief quest was worse, and at least you can ignore radiant quests but can't ignore the thief quest if want to join the thieves. But radiant quests never felt like quests to me and were all pretty boring lol.

It actually is a ring, but yeah. Technically it does have a point, and is not the worst thing they could have done - as it is an example of the kind of jobs they ask you to do later. 

11 hours ago, woodsman30 said:

So for shits and giggles I loaded to a prior save before I ever went to Riften with nothing but a iron dagger one coin in my pocket and beggars clothes on. Brynjolf walks up to me and says " never worked an honest day for all that coin you carry" huge face palm.

I'm thinking that is either an assumed "You have done something else before coming here, right?" assumption by Bethesda, or it is a sign that Brynjoff is going to a new face in Riften with a such a line, hoping they take the bait, and are interested, regardless of any skill with thievery they may posses. Which could be a mistake, but there are a few reasons why it may not exactly backfire, and it technically can work. 

-It is Riften. You think Maven would honestly let Lalia do much about the Thieves Guild, when she(Maven) has an investment in the Guild?

-It isn't explicitly mentioned that the point of the job is to see if you have some skill that can be useful to the Guild, until you actually do it successfully, proving you might have some skill, and perhaps the interest.

-The Guild is desperate for change, not money, exactly, but the situation changing. Why not try and see if you can't get someone new, who can possibly make some progress?

I'll go for three:

- The quest where you have to get that dragonstone for Farengar, because you have to do that shit every time you start a new game if you want the radiant dragon attacks. Oh hey, there is Arvel, trapped in a net ... again. Oh, I have to free him, what could ever happen? Suprise, he ran away ... once again ... yeah, you got me, swift bastard, very good trick. haha, fool me ... ?

- That one for the old guy in Falkreath (i think) who "lost" his diary and can't get it back alone. He lost it ... at the end of some dungeon full of draugr right beside some draugr deathlord ... at the other and of the world. HOW DID HE GET THERE AND JUST FORGOT THAT DAMN THING??? ? Here you have 10 gold, buy a new one...

- My number one: That quest where you have to get 30 crimson nirnwood or so in that damn giant falmer-chaurus-cave. Not the dungeon itself (blackreach, I think?), but to find this nirnwood, because there is that point where you have 28-29 and just don't find that last one...

2 hours ago, Felloutof said:

- The quest where you have to get that dragonstone for Farengar, because you have to do that shit every time you start a new game if you want the radiant dragon attacks. Oh hey, there is Arvel, trapped in a net ... again. Oh, I have to free him, what could ever happen? Suprise, he ran away ... once again ... yeah, you got me, swift bastard, very good trick. haha, fool me ... ?

I just kill the guy as soon as he's cut down, preferably with a weapon with the soul trap enchantment and a black soul gem.

Yeah, Blackreach is one place I have a real love-hate relationship with, too. Not because of the crimson nirnroot but because of the geode veins. I use SGO3 to turn every (non-filled Grand) soul gem and fragment into black soul gems. Even with the incubation time turned down to one day it takes a while to fully "bake" all of them. The roots I've learned the locations of, including two in some interior cells in Blackreach, and I wind up gathering all 37 of them. My "CDO" won't let me leave without all of them.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:55 AM, Kuroyami said:

It is a large game, and likely a lot more taxing when you may have tons of ideas for dialog, quests, etc, but you have deadlines to meet or milestones you NEED to reach. So some of the smaller details fall by the wayside, and yet sometimes it is the smaller ones that are focused on more. Like my thought of going through a big part of the TG, and then thinking it was finished after all that, but then realized that nope, it's the smaller details that are more important now. You are a Nightingale...but we do not yet grant you the rank of Guild Master.

Sure I get that scripting and doing dialog takes time but if we look back at Morrowind every NPC was aware of my race and rank within a given guild (not that being guild master meant anything even back then). As was mentioned in another post rank doesn't even exist anymore and as for quests it's either do it or skip it. Morrowind gave me the option to negotiate a quest. For instance go kill (NPC) for (reason), I could then talk to the NPC and get their side of the story. I made the final decision as to whether I killed them or let them go and lied to my quest giver. In Skyrim I lost that option if I accept a kill quest that is it I must kill the NPC to complete the quest. Also as I stated in another thread they need to bring back the "specializations" (combat, stealth and magic) with a stunted level cap (around 50 or 60) on all out of your specialty skills. Not to mention that star signs used to mean something back then you were locked in, choose a sign and stick with it not change it up every few days with standing stones. While I do understand the merging of several weapon classes I still miss the unarmored skill (mostly for mages).

Not that you would know why are that it is your fault but I just can't understand doing away with the modular armors, I used to love to mix and match pieces.

The railroading in Skyrim's quest is definitely a huge negative against it.

For example, one of the first times I ran up against it was "In My Time Of Need". When I got to the end, yes, it DOES actually give you the chance to listen to the other side, but there's no real answer to who's telling the truth - no secret fact to uncover, you just have to decide who you believe more. Only they're still shallow NPCs in an RPG, so there's really not a lot in favour of EITHER SIDE. It's not like you can read their expressions or ask more questions to tease out more information. you just get the two canned he-said, she-said stories and that's pretty much it.

I wanted to tell them that was washing my hands of the whole thing and that both sides were on their own, but there's no option to do that. Sure, you can walk away, but every time you're in Rorikstead you still get "Have you news of our quarry?" and the random encounters where the Redguards are searching for Sadia never stop.

The Molag Bal quest is still the absolute 100% worst though. At least that one has a modfix, though I wish the penalty for telling Molag Bal to go fuck himself was a bit harsher and more difficult to get rid of.

1 hour ago, wokking56 said:

they need to bring back the "specializations" (combat, stealth and magic) with a stunted level cap (around 50 or 60) on all out of your specialty skills. Not to mention that star signs used to mean something back then you were locked in, choose a sign and stick with it not change it up every few days with standing stones.

While I do understand the merging of several weapon classes I still miss the unarmored skill (mostly for mages).

Not that you would know why are that it is your fault but I just can't understand doing away with the modular armors, I used to love to mix and match pieces.

The good news is with mods (for the PC at least) you can bring back specializations and starter creation choices. Some mods here have even tried adding perks in the Speech tree for no armor types, but looking at something like Ordinator might give you some other options. ( I think it is overly complicated and complex and don't use it so I am not as sure what it has).

Modular armor is another mod resurrected thing, but I suspect it was as much a simplification just for player ease as much as console adaption. Then again, maybe too many people complained about finding a left bracer and right pauldron and wanted more universal armor coverage. *shrug*

6 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

The good news is with mods (for the PC at least) you can bring back specializations and starter creation choices. Some mods here have even tried adding perks in the Speech tree for no armor types, but looking at something like Ordinator might give you some other options. ( I think it is overly complicated and complex and don't use it so I am not as sure what it has).

Not sure about Ordinator having anything specific for Unarmored, but it does keep the "Mage Armor" perks in Alteration, though they may be a little different. It might have something for doing an unarmored character, but I'm not sure of anything else specific at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

Modular armor is another mod resurrected thing, but I suspect it was as much a simplification just for player ease as much as console adaption. Then again, maybe too many people complained about finding a left bracer and right pauldron and wanted more universal armor coverage. *shrug*

It may be for a similar reason why Oblivion was designed with 5 armor pieces in mind(Helmet, Curiass, Greaves, Gauntlets and Boots), where Skyrim only has 4(Armor, Gauntlets, Boots and Helmet). Oblivion also only had to load 5(maybe 6 with the head mesh still visible, and two more for weapon/shield) meshes in those cases, where for Skyrim, it maybe loading 8 due to the _0 and _1 meshes for weight, and a few more for things like rings, amulets, weapons, shields, etc. Now imagine doing things as Skyrim does, and having to consider that, at least for armors, all of it is modular, all of it being seperate meshes - as say Nise's Bikini armor mods. 

Archived