[Question]What was your most disapointing/dumbest quest you have done?

21 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

there are a variety of female NPCs that use the male arms out like a body builder stance and look ridiculous. Beth being lazy.

That I see as somewhat overdoing the idea of that tough Viking aesthetic, to the point where the male bodies(which even applies to modded ones), are muscular to the point of absurdity, and the weight slider for males is a joke - the 0 weight mesh still looks like you have a good amount of muscle tone, and suggests they misnamed the option, Muscle being a perhaps more appropriate name for it - though they would likely get flak for if they had it as that for males, and Weight for females. At least this they did seemingly better in Fallout 4. 

Then you have the animations...for males, the shoulders move way too much. Maybe with such a figure that is a given, but is it, really? Especially that run and walk animation, where it seems the character cannot keep his shoulders at all level. For running, it can be understandable, but walking?

Then there are the textures. But to be honest...I have not seen the vanilla male textures in-game, save for a single playthrough where I wasn't using SOS. But I eventually found a close to vanilla retexture that was a bit more sensible. 

I suspect that custom races work so well in Skyrim due more to the whole race variable being totally ignored. There are a few cases where dialog differs (dark elf first entering Windhelm and being greeted as a fellow dark elf, instead of 'do you look down on our people') or high elves being able to bluff their way into Elenwen's office, but overall race matters nil.   In Morrowind a non-dunmer being the Nerevarine would be just as odd, I'd think but that was glossed over as well. Oblivion handled it the best having the hero be just that, a hero, and not someone blood fated to be the descendant of some mythic personage... imagine if "Martin Septim" was the player? (or Martina Septim, I suppose).

It is a large game, and likely a lot more taxing when you may have tons of ideas for dialog, quests, etc, but you have deadlines to meet or milestones you NEED to reach. So some of the smaller details fall by the wayside, and yet sometimes it is the smaller ones that are focused on more. Like my thought of going through a big part of the TG, and then thinking it was finished after all that, but then realized that nope, it's the smaller details that are more important now. You are a Nightingale...but we do not yet grant you the rank of Guild Master.

The only problem I've had with the Dunmer/Nord intro to Windhelm is...well, in talking to her, I get the specific dialog sometimes overshadowed by her other lines. Probably some oddity with the dialog system mods haven't fixed yet, or cannot. Though on an unrelated note,  I get the fact that Raloff has a quest associated with him. The brawl is all well and good, but...apparently you cannot actually smack some sense into the fool. Why exactly would I want to be "friends" with someone like him, again? 

As for the Disguise part of Diplomatic Immunity, it does matter for more than the Altmer...though if not playing one, it just means you get spotted with some differing lines for differing races. Not at all a bad effort, though. 

One way a person could play it is Dragonborn status is conferred by the gods, not by birth and lineage and the Nords are just short sighted, thinking of the role being a Nord thing. As much as their lack of geopolitical understanding that when the Empire falls, they're next or that without the Empire they might go first, weakened and split by the civil war.

I have to imagine it was the kind of situation that, some expect the Dragonborn to be a Nord(which can likely extend to some players...), mostly since that is what the stories suggest. Even if those stories would have the problem of it likely being mostly Nords(or Atmorans, Nedes, etc) fighting in the Dragon War. So it follows as said, they would be Nords. Just as the Tongues would be. So then having at least some Nords, maybe even those who are not connected to the main quest, or characters like Galmar, Rikke, or others who might know the old stories, point out you being Dragonborn, and say a Khajiit, seems odd. Meaning you won't have dialog for quests stalling, this being unconnected to a specific quest(other than the obvious Dragon Rising), but some hint of what point think a Dragonborn is. 

If the MQ and CW quest chains were not such a terrible mess, I'd think a mod that re-uses the diplomatic meeting required to create a cease fire so you can Fight The Dragons Killing EVERYONE could also let you kinda pass around the Thalmor dossiers you would have in hand by that point and make a certain personage look really bad. Depending on martial prowess and number of shouts learned by then you could also challenge said personage out in the courtyard and deal with the whole thing right there. The Blades would be happy even if the Greybeards kicked you out and canceled the party.

Probably caused by the original intention - the MQ and CW being basically the same thing. Then decided to split them, up, but not really in such a way that the game doesn't still point you in that direction. 

As for the meeting...it is funny how you can't shut Ulfric up(maybe only after and if you boot out Elenwen) if you have his Dossier from the Embassy, with "I think, you are nothing but a Thalmor puppet, and foolish enough to believe otherwise." But I think that section of the game is a mess too - as in spite of what you are there to do, the game STILL wants you to pick a side, and if you try and stay neutral, both Tullius and Ulfric will at some point voice a problem with your choice, even if what you have chosen is perfectly reasonable. However, it does seem like the weight is only on one side, it that maybe you can get the trade of Riften for Markarth, but in that instance you then need to force the Stormcloaks to pay for the Karthwasten tragedy. Of course there are other variations, though I think both Ulfric and Tulliius, act the same way. Tullius just has that more diplomatic(or is it pragmatic...) view on it, where he would suggest that he would rather fight it out, but then he is at this Council, so...might as well use the opportunity. While Ulfric just starts with..."Well, I want this...", with perhaps no expectation of a fair trade, or a trade at all.

6 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

There's a few.

All thieve's Guild jobs concurrently, will let you take pretty much every radiant quest on offer all at once.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52721

Less tedious thieve's guild

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57817

Hacks down the total radient quests needed from 125 to 25, so I imagine 5 for each city.

Have them both installed but I haven't actually joined the thieve's guild on this playthrough yet so I have no idea if they work together or not. Less tedious apparently only handles dialogue and not the script Concurrently does so I am hopefull. :]

None of those address the colossal fucking dumbness of the thieve's guild writing.

One of the dumbest quests ever made in any video game, much less an rpg.

42 minutes ago, 27X said:

No, not really.

There's generic, there's simple, there's convoluted and there's obtuse.

The TG quest is in a category all by itself

Thats what I said lol..... Playing for the first time your excited and you do the "plot of dragonborn" and why not it is cool. So early on in the game play your exposed to Brynjolf to find Esbern and that early in game play you can not speak check Brynjolf. So you think why not make some coin as you have little at this and at this point enter the Cluster fuck that is the TG.

So seeing I am here at this thread lets open the can of crap called the "Civil War".... Brother against brother but nobody does shit save for you and what side you choose... The choice here sucks even bigger balls than the TG quest. You have to go around and clear camps full of bandits and who knows what else because only you can really.... Lets talk about that ...every hold has bandits living in close proximity of the "city" yet the Yarls do jack shit about it.... but, I steal a tomato and get attacked by 10 guards and 20 NPCS don't even think about touching a chicken that is certain death. So you would think with this much zeal crime in the holds would be no existent right?

I am not hating on the game so please take no offense to my ramblings I am just glad modders saved this game.

32 minutes ago, woodsman30 said:

Brother against brother

It's not even brother against brother. Despite the legion constantly saying they've been forced to recruit locally, without a mod like Diversity, EVERY legionaire ( bar a handfull of legates at the camps, but certainly all the rank and file) are Imperials, and EVERY Stormcloak is a nord, means it's technically not even a bloody civil war.

Edit: Annnnnnd not to be that wench but [Qestion] has a "U" in it. [Question] :3 :3

They all suck ass but College was the most disappointing. When I first played Skyrim I thought that I'll get access to spellmaking and a shitload of new spells once I join the College.

NOPE. No spellmaking or magic for me, it's just another fucking "you're the super special chosen one, now bring me the Iron Dagger of Minor Bullshit".

The absolute low point of this game comes about when you set out to do what you're told to, 

Spoiler

when one attempts to take Serana to Fort Dawnguard and not Castle Volkihar.  Isran will simply tell you to go along with Serana's request and see how it goes. ?

On 5/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, The First Lady of Hats said:

Especially since there's been like, ONE, Nordic dragonborn. Damned near every DB other than wulfharth was Breton, Imperial or Nedic xD.

ACTUALLY 

Of all the known Dragonborn, 3 were Nords: Miraak, Wulfharth, Jurgen Windcaller.  Reman Cyrodiil was a Cyrod.  Tiber Septim is a mystery, though all evidence points towards him having been a Breton-Nordic mutt.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:42 PM, karlpaws said:

the Nords are just short sighted, thinking of the role being a Nord thing. 

But veneration of dragons and/or individuals who display dragon-like qualities is a quintessential Nordic tradition which stretches back to the Merethic Era.  The Cyrods were the ones who made it formal by tying it to inheritance and divine right after adopting said custom from the Nords and the coronation of Saint Alessia.

12 minutes ago, Bromum said:

The absolute low point of this game comes about when you set out to do what you're told to,

But veneration of dragons and/or individuals who display dragon-like qualities is a quintessential Nordic tradition which stretches back to the Merethic Era.  The Cyrods were the ones who made it formal by tying it to inheritance and divine right after adopting said custom from the Nords and the coronating Queen Alessia.

Yeah, really wish there was a 4th wall way to reach in and whap people with a "Are you nuts?!"

I suppose you can excuse the Nords for not thinking about the Amulet of Kings because

A> that was the Imperials and they're Nords

B> that was also 200 years ago.

C> it isn't like they have the internet with a quick transfer of information. I wonder just how many Nords actually have traveled outside of their hold (barring Roggi Knot beard who went all the way to Riften from Kynesgrove just for beer or the soldiers who've left the whole country and made a pilgramage up the 7000 steps [Ulfric and Balgruuf at least]). I wonder how far information travels * and how wide spread knowledge is for a probably less-literate people.

* baring the silly situations of everyone seemingly knowing what you do as a DB assassin or take one look at you and know you're good with two handers or have heard you are an expert at Illusion or Enchanting (and think that'll make a sword sharper!) just so they have fodder for radiant comments that keep up with game progression.

1 minute ago, Darkpig said:

Me: Picks up fork.

NPC: "Did you just find that lying around? Good find."

Me: "Just buy your own damn silverware and leave me alone!"

It gets really annoying when bandits do it.

This. So much this.

Pulling off the perfect heist, plenty of lockpicks, undetected so far, pick up a tankard because it's between the strongbox and your crosshair. BOOM the entire keep makes a beeling for you to tell you what a great find your pewter cup is and how they wish they'd grabbed it first.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:42 PM, karlpaws said:

If the MQ and CW quest chains were not such a terrible mess, I'd think a mod that re-uses the diplomatic meeting required to create a cease fire so you can Fight The Dragons Killing EVERYONE could also let you kinda pass around the Thalmor dossiers you would have in hand by that point and make a certain personage look really bad. Depending on martial prowess and number of shouts learned by then you could also challenge said personage out in the courtyard and deal with the whole thing right there. The Blades would be happy even if the Greybeards kicked you out and canceled the party.

Well with the dossier in hand you could probably handle the situation for more diplomatic: simply bluntly point out to Ulfric he's been deceived and manipulated by the Thalmor. Not to mention the Empire isn't exactly free of Dominion corruption. That's the whole tragic point of the civil war: the Thalmor are deceiving and playing both sides to weaken both as a whole. And also the reason the dossier specifically mentions they don't want the Stormcloaks to win either. Ulfric isn't a Thalmor puppet. He's a rabid dog they cut loose but can't control. One of the reasons I usually side with the Stormcloaks as I kind of like the idea of the Septim Empire collapsing and the wild card future it presents.

19 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Well with the dossier in hand you could probably handle the situation for more diplomatic: simply bluntly point out to Ulfric he's been deceived and manipulated by the Thalmor. Not to mention the Empire isn't exactly free of Dominion corruption. That's the whole tragic point of the civil war: the Thalmor are deceiving and playing both sides to weaken both as a whole. And also the reason the dossier specifically mentions they don't want the Stormcloaks to win either. Ulfric isn't a Thalmor puppet. He's a rabid dog they cut loose but can't control. One of the reasons I usually side with the Stormcloaks as I kind of like the idea of the Septim Empire collapsing and the wild card future it presents.

I wish there was a third option where you could put Ulfric's head on a pike along with the good general's head... Sending both packing along with any Thalomor and keep Skyrim wild and free as it has been with the rule left to the Yarls of said holds... Enter why there is so very little Thalmor there it cannot be controlled by one faction.. I side with the Bandits I believe most were ex-military, mages, farmers, merchants ect... who have lost it all because of one side or the other... and, all they have left is a little scrap of land that they call home and they defend it with the ferocity we have come to see in any bandit camp.   

The most disappointing thing about many of the quests is the potential for what they could have become had there been a stronger director at the helm to keep the people at BGS on-track, discouraging them from biting off more than they could chew by trying to write too many quests with intersecting bits as they could so they could just polish what they already had. If they did, they could have gotten the Thieves Guild quest done right by their best writers instead of it being the farmed-out mess that it was.

Mods like Cutting Room Floor and the Opening Scene Overhaul help to make it clearer how much they cut out of the game to get it to work properly on time and on console systems.

I have no desire to defend Bugthesda at all. I have played through the Thieves' Guild quests several times. In order to become Guild Master under vanilla conditions you have to do the 4 city quests (Windhelm, Whiterun, Markarth and Solitude). To get the city quests you have to do 5 radiant quests in the specified city. This makes 4x5+4=24 total quests in order qualify to be guildmaster. You don't HAVE to do a single radiant quest in Riften. You can also turn down any radiant quest Vex or Delvin give you (sadly after they give it to you) so you can (with repeated dialogues with the quest givers) only do 24 quests (and I have).

Brynjolf family states something to the effect that when our problems with Mercer are over and Delvin assures me that our place in Skyrim is back we will name you guildmaster. 

My gripe is that you don't know where the radiant quests Vex and Delvin are sending you on are located until after they give them to you. If Vex said I want you to steal this item from Uthgerd's house in Whiterun I could turn it down and ask again. Now I have to ask, have her give me the quest. Select her again, tell her I want to quit the job, listen to her rant (Delvin also rants) and hope that she gives me the quest city I want. ?

There is one other part that has always left me wondering as it makes little sense.. this is vanilla no mods at all. In the beginning you are captured and riding in a cart as a prisoner why we are left to speculate (more on this later)... As the Helgan scene unfolds and the dragon attacks you have two choices no real implications yet until you enter the keep. Now your in for a fight till the death facing soldiers who are ready for combat and battle hardened and you win..ok. So  leaving the cave you head to Riverwood perhaps find "the golden claw"and pick up the quest to tell the Yarl of Whiterun ect... Fast-forward Dragonsreach now your asked to do a task to find the dragonstone to help in understanding the return of dragons as though it been happening all along "yet it only happened today and you just told everybody".. ok. Now at this point your broke and have little to nothing just a few pieces from Helgan and that would be the best armor so far you can get Storm-cloak or Imperial and maybe a long bow and a sword more than likely iron or luck out with a steel one. Now your charged with going to Bleak-falls barrow alone ( very un-likely to have a follower yet). This is where you face off with a horde of bandits, wild-life and draugr ...ok. So at this point it is confirmed your a warrior period...magic or mage later but it is very unlikely you can do this at this point with magic alone. Fast-forward to Dragonsreach meeting of Delphine "the twat" sorry. The Yarl charges you with the quest to slay your first dragon as you are the only one who knows squat about dragons..ok.

So fast-forward again you killed the dragon received accolades from the Yarl and a follower Lydia not a home as it is un-likely you can afford it yet.

Here is my issue with this whole scene ...this will play out in a day or two max Skyrim time ...again vanilla no mods at all. 

It is clearly established you are a seasoned warrior with all the battles you just faced this ...cannot be disputed ...as a podunk farmer, merchant, and/or anything would have no chance let alone anyone who was not a warrior two days does not equal seasoned warrior... period.

Riddle me this you just killed a shitload of soldiers, bandits, creatures, and a dragon almost all single handed "your one bad mother" again two days max.. how in the fuck was a couple of soldiers able to capture you pre-Helgan?

When it is clear you are a warrior and you most certainly would have had better gear and weapons that is currently dawned. While standing in Whiterun two days later after capture wondering what in the literal fuck just happened to your life.

6 minutes ago, woodsman30 said:

There is one other part that has always left me wondering as it makes little sense.. this is vanilla no mods at all. In the beginning you are captured and riding in a cart as a prisoner why we are left to speculate (more on this later)... As the Helgan scene unfolds and the dragon attacks you have two choices no real implications yet until you enter the keep. Now your in for a fight till the death facing soldiers who are ready for combat and battle hardened and you win..ok. So  leaving the cave you head to Riverwood perhaps find "the golden claw"and pick up the quest to tell the Yarl of Whiterun ect... Fast-forward Dragonsreach now your asked to do a task to find the dragonstone to help in understanding the return of dragons as though it been happening all along "yet it only happened today and you just told everybody".. ok. Now at this point your broke and have little to nothing just a few pieces from Helgan and that would be the best armor so far you can get Storm-cloak or Imperial and maybe a long bow and a sword more than likely iron or luck out with a steel one. Now your charged with going to Bleak-falls barrow alone ( very un-likely to have a follower yet). This is where you face off with a horde of bandits, wild-life and draugr ...ok. So at this point it is confirmed your a warrior period...magic or mage later but it is very unlikely you can do this at this point with magic alone. Fast-forward to Dragonsreach meeting of Delphine "the twat" sorry. The Yarl charges you with the quest to slay your first dragon as you are the only one who knows squat about dragons..ok.

So fast-forward again you killed the dragon received accolades from the Yarl and a follower Lydia not a home as it is un-likely you can afford it yet.

Here is my issue with this whole scene ...this will play out in a day or two max Skyrim time ...again vanilla no mods at all. 

It is clearly established you are a seasoned warrior with all the battles you just faced this ...cannot be disputed ...as a podunk farmer, merchant, and/or anything would have no chance let alone anyone who was not a warrior two days does not equal seasoned warrior... period.

Riddle me this you just killed a shitload of soldiers, bandits, creatures, and a dragon almost all single handed "your one bad mother" again two days max.. how in the fuck was a couple of soldiers able to capture you pre-Helgan?

When it is clear you are a warrior and you most certainly would have had better gear and weapons that is currently dawned. While standing in Whiterun two days later after capture wondering what in the literal fuck just happened to your life.

Some possibilities:

1) You are terribly afraid of authority? (you let Farengar send you to Bleak Falls Barrow, after all)

2) You thought the Stormcloaks would protect you? (they have women warriors on their side so they must be right and good) or

3) You thought the arresting soldier was cute and you were hoping to get into his pants? (this is LL after all), Lol.

But your point is well taken.

7 hours ago, woodsman30 said:

how in the fuck was a couple of soldiers able to capture you pre-Helgan?

Probably the same way they captured Ulfric and Ralof... with a lot more soldiers than we see, has been my guess. There was also an element of surprise, an ambush of some sort. How they get you exactly since you weren't with the rest, I'm not sure, but when a large group of soldiers you thought were probably either your ally or "I'm not a criminal, the cops won't hassle me" turns out to be wrong... well half a dozen arrows pointing at your face kinda negates all of the soldier/mage/thief abilities you would have at that level.

So goes my head canon, but then again that's why I always use AS-LAL.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:50 PM, karlpaws said:

I suppose you can excuse the Nords for not thinking about the Amulet of Kings because

A> that was the Imperials and they're Nords

B> that was also 200 years ago.

C> it isn't like they have the internet with a quick transfer of information. I wonder just how many Nords actually have traveled outside of their hold (barring Roggi Knot beard who went all the way to Riften from Kynesgrove just for beer or the soldiers who've left the whole country and made a pilgramage up the 7000 steps [Ulfric and Balgruuf at least]). I wonder how far information travels * and how wide spread knowledge is for a probably less-literate people.

I'm fairly certain that most Nords born after the end of the 3rd Era would know of the Amulet of Kings, since its destruction took place during the Oblivion Crisis, an event which affected all of Tamriel.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:36 PM, The First Lady of Hats said:

Never seen Windcaller refered to as a DB though, far as I can tell he was just a really bloody good tongue.

Spoiler

After completing Way of the Voice, you can return to Ustengrav and interact with JWC's sarcophagus to absorb his dragon soul.

Archived