[Question]What was your most disapointing/dumbest quest you have done?

I think for me it would have been the thieves guild quest... The first time I ever played Skyrim I got sucked into playing it looking for Esbern aand I thought it would have been good .... I was wrong :( It was ok up until I had to swear my sole to Nocturnal. Karliah tells you that without doing it you cannot win as Mercer Frey is the baddest dude who ever lived "paraphrasing" again I thought I was in for the biggest and hardest battle in all Skyrim ... I was wrong :( Mercer was no challenge at all for a level 30 player I went and bought all kinds of health potions for the battle thinking this must be the pinnacle NPC fight ...nope. It only gets worse as you hand Mercer his ass with no problem you then have to give up a unbreakable lock pick really?... Ok so then maybe you will be guild master and find that has no real implications everyone treats you the same way as day one a punk WTF. And the cherry on the cake you are the only one who works nobody else does jobs or anything WTF.

Skyrim.

In Helgen you are faced with the choice between the Stormies and the Imps, neither of which you know anything about. Granted the choice is not binding but you don't know that either.

The game starts off badly and gradually gets worse.

I once destroyed the DB (in about 10 mins) and that is as much as I have ever done of vanilla Skyrim.

The Thieve's guild is the one that always annoyed the hell out of me. 's fine up until the nightingale hall bollocks "We must become nightingale super heroes if we ever want to stop Mercer.", bitch I could stop him in beggars rags with a rusty iron dagger, if they need subpar enchantments and powers to get by, thats their buisness. not to mention the whole sell yer soul to nocturnal being out of character for every single character I've ever made. though, given it's probably a shezzarine and possibly part of the Akatosh oversoul I doubt the dragonborn could actually sell it off anyways. It's still bugs me when I get to that bit.

12 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

The Thieve's guild is the one that always annoyed the hell out of me. 's fine up until the nightingale hall bollocks "We must become nightingale super heroes if we ever want to stop Mercer.", bitch I could stop him in beggars rags with a rusty iron dagger, if they need subpar enchantments and powers to get by, thats their buisness. not to mention the whole sell yer soul to nocturnal being out of character for every single character I've ever made. though, given it's probably a shezzarine and possibly part of the Akatosh oversoul I doubt the dragonborn could actually sell it off anyways. It's still bugs me when I get to that bit.

Exactly many have stated it is because they don't know your Dragon-born ... really every guard in Skyrim has heard about me and my honeyed words but a "informed thieves guild" knows nothing about you lol

7 minutes ago, woodsman30 said:

Exactly many have stated it is because they don't know your Dragon-born ... really every guard in Skyrim has heard about me and my honeyed words but a "informed thieves guild" knows nothing about you lol

Yeaaa. Vilkas too. I get the feeling Vilkas never actually leaves the basement.

"Perhaps this isn't the time. I've never even heard of this outsider."

Errrr, Dragonslayer, Thane of your hold, first dragonblood in four centuries....dammit Vilkas put the pron down and take a walk outside! Hulda knows about some kid performing a secret ritual and summoning the brotherhood three holds away at the other end of the country, yet you buggers don't know that the fuck's going on outside your meadhall.

26 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Yeaaa. Vilkas too. I get the feeling Vilkas never actually leaves the basement.

"Perhaps this isn't the time. I've never even heard of this outsider."

Errrr, Dragonslayer, Thane of your hold, first dragonblood in four centuries....dammit Vilkas put the pron down and take a walk outside! Hulda knows about some kid performing a secret ritual and summoning the brotherhood three holds away at the other end of the country, yet you buggers don't know that the fuck's going on outside your meadhall.

well in Vilkas defense what does he need to leave his mead hall for, he already has his mead, Aela, Ria and Njada for other "needs" ?, and people come to him to pay 

him to go get in fights, so it is understandable he does not leave that mead hall. ?

my most underwhelming moment in Skyrim had to be not long after i first got it.  i ran thru the main questline (blitzed it really), when i was stuck on x360, and

killed Alduin, and the next 30+ people i talk to are like "meh", after hearing along the way about how i am this super rare "Dragonborn".

The game is definitely disappointing with npcs reacting (or not) to who you are and what you've done. And the Thieves Guild questline is particularly bad.

• Brynjolf knows you're a thief the moment he lays eyes on you if you've ever been spotted stealing in the game.
  • Brynjolf knows you're a thief the moment he lays eyes on you if you've never been spotted stealing in the game.
  • Brynjolf knows you're a thief the moment he lays eyes on you if you've never stolen a single thing in the game.

Thank the Divines for a mod like Thieves Guild Requirements so I can set how many items I have to steal, pockets I have to pick and/or sneak level I have to reach before he gets it right.

It's really a shame. In Oblivion the Thieves Guild was Capital!

You had to mention the Companions, didn't you?

Dragons have returned for the first time in centuries and are intent on conquering the world. The Companions are training for the big one.

A clan of mad dog vampires are trying to kill the sun and take over the world. The Companions are training for the big one.

The province is wracked by civil war. The Companions are training for the big one.

The Forsworn are causing chaos in the western part of the province. The Companions are training for the big one.

You name it and . . . The Companions are training for the big one.

I moslty lurk here but the title was too damn tempting.

The Thieves Guild...What a bunch of vegetables, if you replace them by slot machines saying "go to [city name], steal [valuable object] from [npc ref.] and earn [xxx] gold" you can't tell the difference. But I think the College quest deserves the Golden Facepalm Award.

First you go to Winterhold where you are greeted by Faralda who just stands there, freezing her nipples off all day long on a bridge until you talk to her. At least that's what you think you have to do on your first playthrough just to get some hints about a bloody elder scroll. Youthful indiscretion, we've all been here.

Btw the guys from the College don't receive visitors so there's no need to wonder where their reputation of dangerous reclusive looneys comes from. You only get to enter if you have some magic, so middle finger to those who like to roleplay a barbarian, a thief, a knight, a bricklayer specialized in repairing bridges, etc... pretty much anyone who isn't interested in casting spells all day. But you surely have some random spell book on you, so...Fine I guess.

Then you meet Mirabelle whose purpose is to take you on the College tour, just look at her she is soooo overjoyed by your presence, maybe that's why she walks at the speed of a dead grandma: to make the pleasure last?

Then comes the time of your first 4 minutes long lecture by Tolfdir who teaches four students (including yourself) the hazardous aspects of magic (did you know that fire hurts, duh) and invite all the noobs to visit some ancient ruin, Saarthal.

You can say that the game engine cannot handle too much scripts and/or NPC so Beth has decided to make things simple and this is probably true. This however does not excuse poor writing.

So during your first visit to Saarthal you suddenly activate an amulet that only interacts with you apparently (because no one else will verify this theory by simply wearing the damn thing. Don't bother with science. Science is gay).

Then The Psijic Order stops time and appears to you only and warns you about the possible consequences of your discovery, without interfering in spite of their immense power. Why? Because reasons MAGIIIIIC! More, they alert you about those dangers without telling you what this is all about because:

a) They want to be mysterious, and mystery is cool right?

b) They don't know SHIT.

c) They had an explanation once, but alas it has fallen into a magical plot hole.

d) All of the above (I vote this one)

Then Tolfdir and you discover an ancient blue floating orb and from now on half of the NPC will act like morons, the other half will presume you are up to something without any evidence through the most appalling succession of quid pro quo that pretends to be a dialog.

I could go on like that about nearly all the encounters in this quest. What's the worst? Is it Ancano "I am the villain and I want the Powaaa because I'm the villain MWAHAHAHAHA" or the whole "Let's replace the archmage with someone who don't give a flying fuck" Frankly I can't decide. I couldn't remember exactly which part of the quest made me facepalm the most, but it was in 2012 and I still have the handprint on my forehead...

All thanks to Content Consumer who has blessed us with Do You Know Who I Am?

The only think good about the thieves guild is that it gives you the money making radiant quests upfront when they're useful. There is an "ESF Companions" mod that does something a little similar to Thieves Guild Requirements, spreading out the work and spacing out the main quests some but none of the guilds have any of the intrigue or story that Oblivion or Morrowind had.  I long thought that it was because they're all quartered in one city each, no longer with 4-5 locations with quest givers moving you from one to another as you rise in ranks. No real ranks either, you're just a scrub fresh in off the street suddenly swept up in a guild saving quest that only you can do... because you're Dragonborn, secretly to anyone commenting on world events instead of the fact that they saw a mudcrab the other day.

My candidate for silly quest though is taking Berit's ashes from Thadgeir across the inn about 5 steps to Runil. Gotta love radiant quests when giver and destination can be in the same room.

Destroying the Dark Brotherhood has to be the absolute lamest vanilla quest there is. The only way it makes any sense as to how short the quest is and how easy it is to find them is to imagine these dorks are just a bunch of wannabe assassin cosplayers that everyone knows about and makes fun of.

In no way do they ever seem like a storied group of deadly assassins! And don't even get me started on how stupid the Aventus quest is in the first place! Crazy orphan child squatting in a deserted house? Yeah! Sure kid, I'll do whatever you like, including murdering random people I've never met! 

Honourable mention to all the dumb vanilla miniquests which offer no chance of actual roleplaying choices. Walk into a spooky house to help clear out evil spirits? Well, you can leave an old man to rot in bandit's cells, or swear allegiance to Molag Bal! Happen to trip over a bunch of cultists praising Boethiah? Hope you're ready to feed them a companion!

Thankfully there are mods to fix all of these, but geez.... LAME.

Can I nominate all radiant quests? Talk about a waste of time and a cheap cop out on creating actual content. Go there, kill this/steal this/turn this person, and if you're REALLY DAMN LUCKY we'll have a unique quest for you to do! But to do the next unique quest you need to go do more busy work for us. Even the quest to get Bilgemuck the boar for the rieklings at Thirsk Mead Hall was more interesting simply because it was a one-off thing you didn't need to do over and over again.

I say again, the fiend who came up with the idea of radiant quests should be dragged out into the street and shot. Literally.

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

You had to mention the Companions, didn't you?

Dragons have returned for the first time in centuries and are intent on conquering the world. The Companions are training for the big one.

A clan of mad dog vampires are trying to kill the sun and take over the world. The Companions are training for the big one.

The province is wracked by civil war. The Companions are training for the big one.

The Forsworn are causing chaos in the western part of the province. The Companions are training for the big one.

You name it and . . . The Companions are training for the big one.

LOL Laughed way more than I should at this... at least they do go out on occasion you might see them wandering around doing nothing and if they do one of them gets killed.. 

4 hours ago, karlpaws said:

All thanks to Content Consumer who has blessed us with Do You Know Who I Am?

How in the fuck have I never seen this mod before?

Kayd, that little bald headed brat in bit's and pieces. Just murdered a dragon right outside his mother's store in a glorious convocation of fire and brimstone, have an honorguard of six dremora lords when you walk past him "I thought adventurers were supposed to look tough? I'm twelve years old and I could beat you."

Time to download this thing and put that fucker in his place, and if that fails, put him in an urn.

1 hour ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

How in the fuck have I never seen this mod before?

Kayd, that little bald headed brat in bit's and pieces. Just murdered a dragon right outside his mother's store in a glorious convocation of fire and brimstone, have an honorguard of six dremora lords when you walk past him "I thought adventurers were supposed to look tough? I'm twelve years old and I could beat you."

It seems having more conditional dialog was too much for Bethesda. Especially when it might be, what, maybe another line or two for some characters? Like a line suggesting Nazeem knows you DO visit the Cloud District sometimes at least, due to be being Thane and, I don't know, dealing with the later parts of the MQ that require somewhat frequent visits to Dragonsreach. Though Relationship Dialog Overhaul helps with that one, and others. Along with the To Your Face mod(a SKSE plugin), where they only talk if you actually look at them, not if you just run by. 

For me, it is the Thieves Guild, and not even due to what others have mentioned. I don't have any problem with the Nightingales or with Nocturnal, but...what about all those bloody radiant quests you have to do actually finish the Thieves Guild? I get that the intent for them might be that you would have started or finished them by the time you finish Darkness Returns, but my thinking when I heard of them was...they were optional. They are NOT, at least if you actually want to finish the Thieves Guild quest entirely. That would be the only Guild in Skyrim I have not finished yet. Even with a mod to lessen that quest total, I think it might still be too much. If only there was a mod like the Enhanced Skyrim Factions - Companions for the Thieves Guild. 

11 hours ago, SleepyJim said:

Thank the Divines for a mod like Thieves Guild Requirements so I can set how many items I have to steal, pockets I have to pick and/or sneak level I have to reach before he gets it right.

1 hour ago, Kuroyami said:

For me, it is the Thieves Guild, and not even due to what others have mentioned.

Even with a mod to lessen that quest total, I think it might still be too much. If only there was a mod like the Enhanced Skyrim Factions - Companions for the Thieves Guild. 

TGR does have options for how many quests are required to unlock the city fence quests, the 3rd and 4th (Whiterun brewery and Solitude EETC), and how much you have to steal for the Bedlam job. What it doesn't do is let you pick more than one quest from Vex and Delvin or pick which cities you visit... you'll need other mods for that but I don't have the one I used to use link handy :(

You can set each city to 1 quest required though and should get through pretty quick.  The "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" mod on the Nexus is pretty good and includes... one of those features, I forget which.

40 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

TGR does have options for how many quests are required to unlock the city fence quests, the 3rd and 4th (Whiterun brewery and Solitude EETC), and how much you have to steal for the Bedlam job. What it doesn't do is let you pick more than one quest from Vex and Delvin or pick which cities you visit... you'll need other mods for that but I don't have the one I used to use link handy :(

You can set each city to 1 quest required though and should get through pretty quick.  The "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" mod on the Nexus is pretty good and includes... one of those features, I forget which.

Most of the TG's main quests, I'm not too concerned about. I haven't really used it, but I've had Localized Thieves Guild Jobs installed when attempting to go through the TG, which does let you choose one of each type of job, and which city you do it in. 

Ideally I'd want to set it to something like maybe 3 quests for each city(likely the bigger ones, and this might not include Riften, so only Windhelm, Markarth, Solitude and Whiterun), and then the "story" quest for each city. What would be interesting is a mod that would add an NPC to each city, who appears once you first get one of these quests in the city, who you can go to, in order to advance whatever quests you've finished, or get the details for the "story" quest - mostly so you don't repeatedly have to go back to Riften, and then perhaps back to the same city for the "story" quest - this could easily be the fence for each city(instead of adding a new NPC), making it a bit more poignant for you to say unlock the fence for Whiterun, and then do the TG sidequests for Whiterun, and so on.

11 minutes ago, Kuroyami said:

Ideally I'd want to set it to something like maybe 3 quests for each city(likely the bigger ones, and this might not include Riften, so only Windhelm, Markarth, Solitude and Whiterun),

There's a few.

All thieve's Guild jobs concurrently, will let you take pretty much every radiant quest on offer all at once.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52721

Less tedious thieve's guild

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57817

Hacks down the total radient quests needed from 125 to 25, so I imagine 5 for each city.

Have them both installed but I haven't actually joined the thieve's guild on this playthrough yet so I have no idea if they work together or not. Less tedious apparently only handles dialogue and not the script Concurrently does so I am hopefull. :]

8 hours ago, karlpaws said:

My candidate for silly quest though is taking Berit's ashes from Thadgeir across the inn about 5 steps to Runil. Gotta love radiant quests when giver and destination can be in the same room.

the first time i did that quest after switching to computer was even worse.

talk to Thadgeir, turn to Runil who was talking to Thadgeir as he chopped wood, give ashes.

WTF is Thadgeir scared to touch Runil??? ok now i need to know why.  still have not figured that one out.

2 hours ago, Kuroyami said:

For me, it is the Thieves Guild, and not even due to what others have mentioned. I don't have any problem with the Nightingales or with Nocturnal, but...what about all those bloody radiant quests you have to do actually finish the Thieves Guild? I get that the intent for them might be that you would have started or finished them by the time you finish Darkness Returns, but my thinking when I heard of them was...they were optional. They are NOT, at least if you actually want to finish the Thieves Guild quest entirely. That would be the only Guild in Skyrim I have not finished yet. Even with a mod to lessen that quest total, I think it might still be too much. If only there was a mod like the Enhanced Skyrim Factions - Companions for the Thieves Guild. 

not to mention the fact that, under vanilla conditions, to fully upgrade all parts of the Thieves Guild you must get all the fences as part of the 

125 radiant quests to finish upgrading the Guildmaster's area of the Guild.

seriously 125 radiant quests.....WTF was Bugstheda thinking ???? who wants to do 125 repeated radiant quests when by the time you do 10 you are already sick

and tired of its "slot machine mentality".

19 minutes ago, Kuroyami said:

Ideally I'd want to set it to something like maybe 3 quests for each city(likely the bigger ones, and this might not include Riften

What would be interesting is a mod that would add an NPC to each city, who appears once you first get one of these quests in the city

mostly so you don't repeatedly have to go back to Riften

You do normally need 5 quests in Riften for the guild master rank. There just isn't a mission to do for a fence or story. I suppose the three merchants and Goldenglow infiltration adds up to the equivalent.

I did have a thought the last time I was doing them that if someone did not have a "more than 2 quests" mod and was on a "no fast travel or carriages" playthrough that running from Riften to Markarth 5 individual times would be really really really annoying.

Having a local guild rep would be the sensible thing, but then that's why they took that out I guess.  Another "Morrowind/Oblivion was better!" datapoint.  Best I can suggest are the Mark/Recall adding mods, either spells of the name or teleport functions ( I use mods like The Manipulator for that).

10 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Less tedious thieve's guild

Hacks the total radient quests needed from 125 to 25, so I imagine 5 for each city.

As it was 5 I hope you mean it cuts them down to 1 per city.  There is a 125 quests completed marker for items added to the trophy case behind the Guild Master's desk, so it might mean that instead.

EDIT

This might be a case of "I've used a mod to make things sensible for so long I forgot how insane it normally is"

6 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

As it was 5 I hope you mean it cuts them down to 1 per city.  There is a 125 quests completed marker for items added to the trophy case behind the Guild Master's desk, so it might mean that instead.

Sadly not. Five per city.

" The following mod is a replacement script that brings the job requirements from 125 down to 25. I have tested this myself by doing 5 jobs each in the major holds in my current play-through. "

and the displays still run.

"

• Jeweled Candlestick appears after 5 jobs. (5)
  • Ornate Drinking Horn appears after 10 jobs. (15)
  • Golden Ship Model appears after 11 jobs. (25)
  • Golden Urn appears after 13 jobs. (35)
  • Jeweled Goblet appears after 15 jobs. (45)
  • Jeweled Pitcher appears after 17 jobs (55)
  • Jeweled Flagon appears after 20 jobs. (75)
  • Safe appears next after 25 jobs. (125)

"

Just hoping it does the same to the TG displays in Legacy of the Dragonborn, want my Hall o' secrets full >:D

6 minutes ago, karlpaws said:

Best I can suggest are the Mark/Recall adding mods, either spells of the name or teleport functions ( I use mods like The Manipulator for that).

Phenderix Magic has Mark and Recall as well as teleport spells to all the major cities under it's alteration selections. Literally just bought them all off Tolfdir ( There goes the entirety of my gold :3) to make hopping around doing stuff for the companions a little easier since I play wi' fast travel disabled.

20 minutes ago, valcon767 said:

not to mention the fact that, under vanilla conditions, to fully upgrade all parts of the Thieves Guild you must get all the fences as part of the 

125 radiant quests to finish upgrading the Guildmaster's area of the Guild.

seriously 125 radiant quests.....WTF was Bugstheda thinking ???? who wants to do 125 repeated radiant quests when by the time you do 10 you are already sick

and tired of its "slot machine mentality".

I did the TG the first time with a Male Argonian, and my honest thought when I completed the Darkness Rising quest, stepping out of the Twilight Sepulcher, was that I was finished with the questline. So I went back to the Cistern, and...nothing happened. I looked it up afterwards, and...found out the requirements for finishing it...and basically said nope. Though that character basically stopped there, since I already had the problem with that character where I did not feel like finishing the MQ with him. Why? Well...

To add to it, the Main Quest, if playing as a Male Argonian. The reason? Sorry for the repetition, but it is simple - use a shout with one. Sound familiar? Yep, the same voice set most of the Human races use. So let's get this straight - both Male and Female Khajiit, have unique shout VA, along with the Female Argonian. The Male Argonian, does NOT. Um, Why? Any time I play a male Argonian at this point, I tend to think of the character without any consideration for doing the MQ, just because of that. 

Additionally, it does annoy me that for the MQ, if playing say an Elven race, or a Khajiit or Argonian, NO ONE mentions how unusual they think that is. Not even the many proud Nords who you would think, would voice at least a slight problem with a Nordic Hero...being of those races. But it probably falls back to that dialog conditional problem, or wanting to avoid instances of dialog stalling, because of a player possibly using a custom race(as could happen with Oblivion's intro - yet Skyrim's works perfectly fine when playing a custom race...)

1 hour ago, Kuroyami said:

Yep, the same voice set most of the Human races use.

Additionally, it does annoy me that for the MQ, if playing say an Elven race, or a Khajiit or Argonian, NO ONE mentions how unusual they think that is.

player possibly using a custom race(as could happen with Oblivion's intro - yet Skyrim's works perfectly fine when playing a custom race...)

there are a variety of female NPCs that use the male arms out like a body builder stance and look ridiculous. Beth being lazy.

I suspect that custom races work so well in Skyrim due more to the whole race variable being totally ignored. There are a few cases where dialog differs (dark elf first entering Windhelm and being greeted as a fellow dark elf, instead of 'do you look down on our people') or high elves being able to bluff their way into Elenwen's office, but overall race matters nil.   In Morrowind a non-dunmer being the Nerevarine would be just as odd, I'd think but that was glossed over as well. Oblivion handled it the best having the hero be just that, a hero, and not someone blood fated to be the descendant of some mythic personage... imagine if "Martin Septim" was the player? (or Martina Septim, I suppose).

One way a person could play it is Dragonborn status is conferred by the gods, not by birth and lineage and the Nords are just short sighted, thinking of the role being a Nord thing. As much as their lack of geopolitical understanding that when the Empire falls, they're next or that without the Empire they might go first, weakened and split by the civil war.

If the MQ and CW quest chains were not such a terrible mess, I'd think a mod that re-uses the diplomatic meeting required to create a cease fire so you can Fight The Dragons Killing EVERYONE could also let you kinda pass around the Thalmor dossiers you would have in hand by that point and make a certain personage look really bad. Depending on martial prowess and number of shouts learned by then you could also challenge said personage out in the courtyard and deal with the whole thing right there. The Blades would be happy even if the Greybeards kicked you out and canceled the party.

Archived