Mod Rewards on Nexus?

KoolHndLuke

5 hours ago, Jazzman said:

The money gets sucked up by the mini minis cos they are many and one has actually donated largely to trivial stuff

Crossing into that old argument about "what is *truly* a mod and what isn't"?:wink: No one ever agrees on a standard - one person's trash.....Besides, it's easy enough to just cap what each mod author can opt in.

As I've said already, @CPU, every good man is free to make up his/her mind.

But since I always look at the balance sheet when it comes to investments, we have to agree to disagree in this particular case.

But that shouldn't stop us from drinking a (hopefully cold) beer together ha...

?  Here's to us!

@KoolHndLuke, 'trivial' and 'one person's trash' are two very different animals. An Easter bunny mod is technically trivial compared to a complex mod, say, Sim Settlements. And yet the latter might be trash for some players...

1 hour ago, Jazzman said:

An Easter bunny mod is technically trivial compared to a complex mod, say, Sim Settlements.

I brought up a subject to discuss what I call "mod tiers" - categorizing mods based on complexity for reasons of better load order optimization. No one responded. People evidently prefer a potpourri of mods. I will admit that digging through pages of mods and finding that hidden gem that others missed is something cool .:smirk:

9 hours ago, CPU said:

Some numbers.

On 13 June 2018, these are the numbers of people that did Opt-In:

Mods 10,955 on 260,515 (4.2%)
Authors 2,674 of 82,212 (3.25%)

Source: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/13637

Nexus does not oblige people to do it. And they are just giving gifts (between 7k and 10k $ per month) to people to sustain the modding.

Again, not to paywall, just to give a small compensation to who wants it.

I really don't see any problem in an action like that.

It is NOT paid modding and not paywalling.

We did (better, a member of LLab did) a contest to do the best looking Sim for Sims 4. Check

The member gave a gift card to the winner.

Is that paid modding? No was something similar to Mod rewards (but 10,000 times smaller.)

I personally authorized the modder ( @ExSimmer ) to do it.

The problem (Currently more focused problem) I see is most don't trust Nexus to be fair and do their due diligence to make sure the system isn't gamed. I don't think people are upset when someone decided to throw some cash to someone or create a contest or something... It is when it (modding) is slowly moving to the "pay to play" model or at least seems to be. Far from it now but... in a few years... who knows. Also @Jazzman might remember that, many back in the "ol days" might even take offense to being offered any money.

12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Also @Jazzman might remember that, many back in the "ol days" might even take offense to being offered any money.

Indeed, I do. And the door swung in both direction - no money taken, no money given. Woe to the one who'd have dared to cross the line. Thus unasked donations were donations in kind, from self-knitted socks to computer parts. No, that wasn't perhaps Anno Domini 1452 or somethin but not long ago... in another galaxy. There, said it :classic_laugh:

♪ The curse is cast... The order is rapidly fadin'... For the times they are a-changin' ♫

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

might remember that, many back in the "ol days" might even take offense to being offered any money.

There are still some of those people that have been around since the days of Oblivion - they still talk about it once in awhile. They don't want money for their mods, but, most of them don't seem to judge those author's that do. I am taking part in this because the money is coming out of Nexus pocket- not the mod user. If it all ceases to exist tomorrow, I don't care. The rewards thingy I mean.

I didn't opt-in and I can't imagine any circumstance that would lure me to do that (on any platform). And it's not only about the annoying paper-pushing to get it right for my tax declaration.

True feelings, the style how they are going step by step into becoming a payment platform (call it financial service) is alienating me further and further.

Should I have ever considered to use THEM(nexus (tm)) to support a mod author, this was flushed down the pipe with verve. And it will not creep back into their loo in the foreseeable future.

17 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

might remember that, many back in the "ol days" might even take offense to being offered any money.

it makes me feel some pleasurable memories warming my heart

My feelings on this are kind of mixed.

On one paw, I'm an author; getting paid for telling tall tales is kinda my job.  But a book (or a Kindle download) is something tangible (more or less).

On the other paw, I mod because it's kinda fun (and frustrating, but...).  My kids want something done or changed, I want a follower with a face I like, I want Auriel's Bow to have better stats than the generic hunting bow my follower is born with.... Whatever.

If I post a mod, it's not because I want to make money to pay for my art programs or buy a modding computer with or something.  That's what I have a real job for.  It's because "Hey, I made this thing, my kids think it's neat and so do I, want to try it?"

It's the same reason I bake cookies (cue the "little old lady" remarks, go ahead, I don't mind) and share them with the neighbor down the road, the same reason I hand out candy on Halloween -- it's FUN!

If I wanted to get paid for modding, I'd apply for a job at a game studio (this assumes I'd be willing to put in the same kind of very hard work I put in to become a writer).  I wouldn't post my mods on a website and say "Pay me if you want this."

I can understand people wanting a little return for their work, especially since producing a mod can be really time consuming or difficult.  For me, the "return" would be a post or a PM saying "Wow, cool, thanks for uploading!"  (Or "Wow, cool, this worked, but there's a bug" so I can then fix it)  Other folks, however, might prefer a few dollars or pounds or euros, which would express the same thing, more or less.

What I object to -- to the point of cussing and wanting to slap some people with a clue-by-four, is a pay system run by a given website.  A site can/should support itself through advertising.  That's what ads are for.  The users of the site should be allowed to support the specific mod or modder of their CHOICE.  That's why the Patreon system exists.  If someone wants to support modders in general, as CPU suggests, then the site *could* implement a "donate here, everyone with more than x number of downloads gets a penny if they're opted in, all across the board evenly" program, as long as none of that money goes to the site, but is *all* distributed to the modders.

And what I further object to is stuff behind a paywall, particularly a paywall set up by a particular site or by Bethesda.  We've already bought the damned game.  The company has already paid its developers.  Therefore they have no need to charge the modders, or to charge the downloaders.  If a modder uploads material to a specific site and *wants* to be paid, they should be encouraged to use a donation system like Patreon or heck even PayPal.  But NEVER under any circumstances, should any site or Bethesda itself REQUIRE anyone to pay for content that isn't official game or DLC.

But I'm a crabby old lady and I can remember when dinosaurs stepped on my house and broke my computer.  And I had to walk to cavegirl school.  Uphill.  Both ways.  In the snow. 

9 hours ago, Allannaa said:

On the other paw, I mod because it's kinda fun (and frustrating, but...).  My kids want something done or changed, I want a follower with a face I like, I want Auriel's Bow to have better stats than the generic hunting bow my follower is born with.... Whatever.

If I post a mod, it's not because I want to make money to pay for my art programs or buy a modding computer with or something.  That's what I have a real job for.  It's because "Hey, I made this thing, my kids think it's neat and so do I, want to try it?" 

If I wanted to get paid for modding, I'd apply for a job at a game studio (this assumes I'd be willing to put in the same kind of very hard work I put in to become a writer).  I wouldn't post my mods on a website and say "Pay me if you want this."

Good mentality, :D It is a really successful way from what I can see for many that want long term presence in the modding community. ONce you start to ask or demand money, the stakes get much higher. People expect quality and then start to expect what they want to be done, be done, and it starts moving into a thankless "job". At least from what I have seen in the past.

Also, forgot about Bethesda's "paid" modding system. :( Thanks, I was living happily and going along and now I remember that :P

Also, wish you lived by me... I would like some cookies! :D lol.

7 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

I did not like the Bethesda paid modding system.

Was just bad.

But I still support people that do modding and accept money or do a latest version for who contributes and then give it for free a few months later.

Actually this way of doing originated on LoversLab, and it is the one that I support.

4 hours ago, CPU said:

But I still support people that do modding and accept money or do a latest version for who contributes and then give it for free a few months later.

Actually this way of doing originated on LoversLab, and it is the one that I support.

actually i think that started on Fur Affinity, some artists there have been doing that for years.

A word on targeted donations, donations directed to selected recipients ('cause that's what I'm doing).

There's a striking difference between the two major variants of targeted donations.

One is given by the donor retrospectively for already released work and in the truly vague hope that the future good work may continue uninterrupted.

The other is likely to gain a direct personal advantage (e.g. privileged access) in advance of not yet released work, just temporarily or forever doesn't matter.

The former is pure charity, the latter smells of bribery (and it takes two to tango). Charity might be misused, especially in unchecked distributions to a team.

Bribery, however, is the hallmark of corruption, the today much used practice of "influencing", not just in the Land of Confusion but most likely everywhere.

That’s it in a nutshell.

For my part, I reject the latter. But since we're living in the so-called free world, the free has to make up his own damned mind and live with the consequences.

FWIW, take everything said on the internet with a grain of salt.

Happy Weekend and... may the f'n money be with you!  ?

Archived