1) First, install Oblivion. DO NOT install to Program Files
Change it, like so.
2) Then, install Shivering Isles, the official patch, then whatever DLCs you want. Personally, I install Knights of the Nine, and that's it - all of the DLCs just require you more patches, more esps, more instability. Reduce that as much as possible. Knights, however, actually has several fun mods that pull from it/use it.
3) Now do the following: Download
a)Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) (I suggest the "Full Installer version) - Install to the same folder you installed Oblivion to - ie: C:\Oblivion
OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) - Extract as-is to the same folder you installed Oblivion to - NOT the Data folder - ie: C:\Oblivion, not C:\Oblivion\Data
c) Pluggy - Extract "OBSE_Elys_Pluggy.dlx" and "OBSE_Elys_Pluggy.dll" to "Oblivion Install Directory\Data\OBSE\Plugins". If you don't have an "..\OBSE\Plugins" directory, create one. RENAME the file "OBSE_Elys_Pluggy.dll" to "OBSE_Elys_Pluggy_HUD.dll" - DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP - if you forget, things may not go nicely for you - this may include CTDs, leaking from the ears, hairy palms, and male pattern baldness. You've been warned.
d) MenuQue - extract the contents of the folder to your install directory data folder.
e) Elys Universal Silent Voice - extract the contents to "Oblivion Install Directory\Data\OBSE\Plugins"
f) The 4gb patcher - apply patch to Oblivion.exe.
g) Wyre Bash - run it, install it.
4) Now, before you do anything else - zip up this base install. This will save you heartbreak and grief, believe me. At the very least, it will save you from having to do up to this step any more times. Whatever zip software you use, zip up everything under your C:\Oblivion folder. Just an additional tip - go to Documents\My Games\Oblivion - and zip that folder up, as soon as you have any saved games, or any other modifications made to your install. That's always the second half of your backup strategy.
From here, you have a few options when it comes to a *basic* bugfix/overhaul package. Hordes of unofficial patches, piecemeal overhauls, or an all-in-one overhaul like OOO - Obscuros Oblivion Overhaul. I suggest OOO. It has the same fixes, and gives you some extra playability outside of lovers. I don't need to run you through either one, do I? But first, keep in mind that you want only things that DON'T depend on a specific body, or MBP, as of yet. In the QUICK INSTALLATION GUIDE, the first reply post has a decent rundown of the unofficial patches if you're going that route. Start downloading what you're going to use.
5) MBP! Now, DO NOT GO SEARCHING FOR ALL SORTS OF STUFF RIGHT NOW. There is one, and only one _good_ way of doing this install, especially without breaking everything. Did I mention that you'll probably break everything if you don't know what you're doing? Go here, and get the All-in-One MBP++ omod. Do this, and you're gold. Try to do all of the individual stuff, unless you really know what you're doing, you are GOING to be screwed. So go get it. Seriously. Yes, it's freaking huge, and blah blah blah - who cares. You want Oblivion to not look it's age? Go get this This is the key to all things purty in Oblivion, grasshoppah. It's massive, so just... wait. In the meantime, we have other stuff to do. There's a reason I told you to download this now!
6) Body Replacer. There are lots of body replacer mods. The most popular is HGEC. The second most popular is DMRA. There are others, but I'll just address these two, for females. For males, there is Robert's, which I will suggest, as it's the one I'm most familiar with.
a) This is the HGEC OMOD version - it be purty.
I'll use this as an example of how to install an OMOD. First, open Oblivion Mod Manager. Second, load the omod, like so.
Robert's Male Body Replacer - OMOD. Install. Follow the bouncing menus... Install body meshes
Pick a body size
MAKE SURE YOU PICK A NAKED OPTION. Unless you want muscled diaper-men dry-humping hot chicks later. Just saying.
This can be redone multiple times if you don't like how it turns out - just BE CAREFUL when it comes to replacing things - especially the idle selection. But I digress.
c) Back to the females. You now have a choice - DMRA, a slightly updated, better HGEC, or some other body mod? The choice is up to you. I, on the other hand, will show you DMRA - because I LIKE it. A large variety of the choices are found here: BBB for BBB - and trust me - you want BBB - because that stands for "Better Bouncing Breasts for Big Boobed Bodies." You can get BBB for small sizes, too, btw - but you need BBB, regardless. YOU JUST DO. I digress again
d) Growl's Universal Skeleton - get it, install it, the end. You need it for a bunch of stuff, especially BBB, so just get it, install it. Also, later, if people start moving wonky or what have you after some mod you installed, reinstall this. It may be that the mod you installed overwrote this skeleton file. But anyway.
So, at this point, you should only be seeing the HGEC replacer and Robert's, in OBMM. Only Robert's has an esp file, so that should be the only current addition to your load order. If not, you installed other stuff I didn't tell you to, so don't say I didn't warn you
If you have plenty of HDD space, this is another good time to make a backup of your main folder. It's after all of the body mods, but before MBP. if you decide to add XEO or something, later on, this is a good place to pick up. If you don't have the space, this is skippable.
7) Pick your Texture Replacer(s) - there are a bunch of these, as well - these are the two I use: Ozmo's - the 4096, of course. I won't give you a tutorial on how to use apply them, but there's the link.
EDIT: You REQUIRE the following link in order to have textures of the Diablo Elves. Download the bottom link in the original post. PYFFIed mesh and high-rez textures.
You can work on these later, and for particular looks, you'll need nifskope - but these are good schtuff. We'll get back to this in a bit, but that'll suffice for the moment.
8) MBP - are we there yet? If you're done downloading the MBP AIO OMOD, it's time to get this puppy rollin. Same deal as with previous omods - load, activate. Now, I'll almost guarantee you that this one will hang when you clock "load" - and "activate" - so just sit tight and let it work. KEEP YOUR SHIRT ON. Unless you're female, and in that case, by all means, leave it off. But I digress
Okay, once it loads... activate! Then... wait some more. Conflict warnings are okay - and to be honest, I let MBP overwrite anything that's been dropped in thus far, so let it run. If you're worried, let it inform you of any conflicts - then you get to agonize over whether to let it overwrite or not. If you're reading this, though, you probably don't know whether it's a good or not, so... who cares? It's huge. So keep waiting. KEEP WAITING.
9) Okay, done. Now, you should have a load order in OBMM like this:
This is wrong. But that's okay - because we're done with OBMM for a few. Go ahead and close it out. Don't minimize it, close it out - because Wyre and OBMM don't play well together - only one at a time.
10) Open Wyre Bash.
First, pick EITHER Lop-Ears Elf or Lop-Ears Mini. Right click, file, delete the one you don't want. Second, if you want the mod selected in the pic to function, you have to install the Sirens and Tritons Mod. It won't actually *hurt* anything if you leave it - you will just have invisible selections in the character creation menu, because you don't actually have the race it modifies. If I were you, though, I'd delete it.
However: Tip: Don't leave esps in the Data folder that you aren't using. I was bad in this tut.
This is the correct load order for our current setup:
Make yours match - drag them into the right places, or, if you have it installed, run BOSS. It's actually good for stuff like this. Just do NOT use it for Lovers. Ever. It sucks.
(How did I get that list, you ask?)
So, find "Bashed Patch, 0.esp" - right click it.
(If it isn't present, for some reason, here's how to fix THAT.)
(One note for you: I'm using a custom version of SI and Knights.esp - IGNORE that it says "DMRAComplete.rar" under Installer.)
Select "Build Patch"
And it looks like this!
Another thing: If you'd like to test how things look, at this point, you need to do something first. Use the normal Oblivion launcher, and go into "options", set up your video options now. Don't launch, just close it out. Now, give yourself a shortcut for your obse_loader.exe - that is what you will launch Oblivion from, from now on. Additionally, you can launch that loader from the bottom toolbar of Wyre Bash. Just sayin. Now, try launching obse_loader.exe. Load into the game. If you have a clean save somewhere (with no mods loaded_, preferably past the sewers, this is a good time to check and see how everything works. So, drop that cleansave into \documents\my games\oblivion\saves\, load it, and maybe kill some people, and strip em, to ummm... test... the nude mods you installed Additionally, here's a tip - I'll attach a generic Lineage DarkElf cleansave file. Check out whether she displays correctly - then, use showracemenu in the console, change to male, and make sure he's got his package hangin. If all is correct, it'll display both sexes fine.
11) Now, we have the game set up as far as the *base* beautification options. Now, we have to decide what our world is going to look like/contain. MBP and all of the stuff you just installed is just a PASSIVE package. It needs things activated, in order to use it. However, at this point, you need to to STOP - and do another backup of this folder. Don't do anything else - just STOP, and backup RIGHT NOW. DO NOT delete the other backup yet - we have to make sure everything installed right here, don't we? But in the meantime, you need to back up. Do that, and we'll get into some other mods, things to download.
12) I installed OOO at this point. The installer is sort of slow, but meh. No biggie. Be advised: OOO will mess with your savegames, etc - so only use on a new character, etc.
13) Now, moving on to Lovers.
If you just want to get things going for your first time, only install a few mods. However, before we do that, we need to install:
a) The Resource Pack - Extract Contents to Install Directory\Data\
The Base Pack - Extract contents to Install Directory\Data\
It'll then look like this in Wyre Bash.
Now, here's a couple pieces of advice. Just about every individual Lovers plugin is going to have particular requirements. Some of those may, or may not include other lovers plugins. Read the readmes and requirements carefully. A few of them just DO NOT play well with others. For instance - Crowning Isle - it'll mess up just about everything else - play it by itself, not counting the "base" plugins. The plugin TamagoClub (pregancy mod) is notoriously hard to get working just right - save that one for a bit later, perhaps. On the other hand, there's LoversJoburg, LoversCreatures and LoversRaperS, which are pretty much made to work together. In between is LoversExtender, which adds functionality, but is a little more picky to set up.
c) My personal recommendation is that you install the following:
LoversAdultYield, LoversMagic, LoversRaperS, LoversVoice SSP Plus, AdultPlayPlus for SSP
Those will get you started! Once you've got those down, there are a ton of other plugins to sample and explore - LSTUnderground has tons of quests, for instance, and Lovers Bitch has quite an extensive array of... interesting sights. That should get you started figuring out the ropes.
14) One last thing - let's see a load order with these installed, so you see how it works.
First in Bash:
Notice, I bashed in some OOO items.
Now just a list:
There you have it - you now have a working Oblivion + OOO + MBP++ AIO + Lovers installation. Now, from here, you're going to have to experiment with the texture replacers of your choice. Remember, you have your backup to go back to, if something gets borked. As for me, I'm going to use the two that I linked to, earlier. First, I'm going to install the 4096 body and face textures. There's a tutorial in the file you download.
EDIT: THIS IS A REQUIRED STEP
Then, I'm going to use the 2048 textures in the PYFFIed set that I had you download earlier - it has the 6-in-1 textures for the Diablo Elf races.
Feel free to experiment with the others - but that's what I use.
Here's the end result on that generic female, with those textures, and not much of an attempt to pretty it up, to be honest.
With a glossed body (and some OBGE magic), it looks even better - see here.
15) Additional items:
Also, there is the lovely NoMaaM breathing idle, as well as the run and walk animation replacer selections. I'm a fan of this walk, personally In any case, do some looking. That, as they say, is that!
If anyone has suggestions on how to clean this up, let me know - but this WILL get you a working install and easy backups, as well as show you some of how to use Wyre, bash MBP into a patch, get your load order for troubleshooting, and give you a functional lovers setup.
BE WARNED: There WILL BE MESSED UP RACES, DESCRIPTIONS, BALD HEADS, AND A FEW MESSED UP EYES, even if you do this perfectly. Just in some races, but it does appear with those races. This is exactly what installs with the All-in-One OMOD. I wish it were better, I wish it didn't leave things broken, but that's just the way it is. On the other hand, most of the races added DO, in fact, work. Two that I know of actually look like they *won't* work - but they do. The Moonshadow Elves and Blood Witch/Witcher look bald the first time you cycle through - but they aren't - if you cycle *backwards* past them - they magically have hair. From my testing, they work just fine, and will create just fine, as well.
What you get for the buck, despite the bugs, is quite nice. You have a ton of playable races, support for practically every MBP-enabled mod out there, and lots and lots of PC race choices. In any case, this is a requirement for more than a few Lovers Mods - so if you have this, you're good to go.
Edited: To reflect the requirement for a certain texture pack, removed Ashara's Sirens and Tritons from load orders.
Edited: To warn about the garbled races/descriptions in the character creation menu.
Edited: To change the skeleton link from Coronerra's to Growlf's
Edited: To add in the step about Pluggy that I mysteriously didn't include