Specular maps and GIMP

Hey guys,

I know there are tutorials about specular maps, I've read them. I couldn't find anywhere step by step tutorial on how to properly export specular map from GIMP...

I tried everything and I can't get rid of this effect: https://i.imgur.com/Oej8qVY.png

I would like to have some reflections but not flashlight  :D

Lastly I followed this tutorial https://mirzasemti.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/generating-specular-map-in-gimp/ and exported specular map as BC5 / ATI2 (3Dc) format. But I still get maximum glossines or whatever it's called...

And please don't reply "use Photoshop" or whatever, this won't help me  :(

Can somebody help me with this topic please? Thanks in advance.

Ps. diffusal texture is one color - black

I don't use gimp, but since you say you saved it as Bc5 there should be no problem.

It just comes down to the map you made, and what settings you have in the nif/material.

First, do you have the specular setup right? With the red channel housing the metallic map and green channel the roughness map?

In the material do you have it set to enable an environment map? and one assigned? What are the specular multiplier set to?

Red = metallic, white is high reflective (polished chrome high) and black is none reflective (cloth, and other none metal stuff).

Green = roughness, white is rough (none reflective) and black is glossy (high reflective).

Blue = not used, Bc5 does not even save the blue channel.

Red = metallic, white is high reflective (polished chrome high) and black is none reflective (cloth, and other none metal stuff).

Green = roughness, white is rough (none reflective) and black is glossy (high reflective).

Blue = not used, Bc5 does not even save the blue channel.

No luck :/ if I open specular map in nvidia WTV the color is green, is this how it suppouse to be?

I checked how Cappy gleasses specular map testure looks like (from nuka cola dlc) and this texture is actually in DXT1 format

I can't open Bc5 DDS's in WTV, but DXT1 or Bc5, as long as the map is set up properly it should work.

Since the texture map only makes use of the red and green channel it can swing to one side or the other (since blue is black).

eg; reddish orange.

38cw9yh5kqfyper7g.jpg

Or with more green.

mqjjym2wa0zo5607g.jpg

What matters is that the red channel has the metallic data in it.

433c0ciar8dj3ud7g.jpg

and the green your roughness

qy75czgdu6kkgv77g.jpg

I can't open Bc5 DDS's in WTV, but DXT1 or Bc5, as long as the map is set up properly it should work.

Since the texture map only makes use of the red and green channel it can swing to one side or the other (since blue is black).\c

can you please check this dds in Photoshop and tell me if it is correct?

cateye_glass_s.dds

Red should be almost black, green should be almost white

It was the opposite, red was white and green was black.

For high gloss plastic you would expect both to be at the far end of black (high reflect none metal).

Something you might try is adding an environment map to the material.bgsm, and setting it to be used in the nif.

j03m59bjc5h2m5z7g.jpg

like so.

you can unpack the cube maps (aka; environment maps) from the "Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2" there at 'Data\textures\Shared\Cubemaps' then you will just have to pick one that suits the purpose.

It was the opposite, red was white and green was black.

For high gloss plastic you would expect both to be at the far end of black (high reflect none metal).

Something you might try is adding an environment map to the material.bgsm, and setting it to be used in the nif.

like so.

you can unpack the cube maps (aka; environment maps) from the "Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2" there at 'Data\textures\Shared\Cubemaps' then you will just have to pick one that suits the purpose.

I added cube map and env flags before, but result is still the same... to be honest, I have no idea what to do next.

Maybe gimp exproter just export texture wrongly... 

I used cappy glasses specular texture and result is still the same, it looks like game is ignoring specular map or something...

Is nif f...up?

Ok... for this test with cappy glasses specular map I overwrited wrong texture... now I see with cappy glasses texture speculars works... I think as should... I will do some more tests with my testures.. geez... don't work late nights... 

Kill me... kill me twice... apparently, all this f time, I was replacing texture with very similar name (which I choose of course)...

No comments...

Thank you for trying to help me :)

• 3 years later...