Turrets falling out of position

Has anyone else come back to a settlement and have turrets be on the ground instead of on raised platforms or on top of buildings? This is what I am talking about:

post-101267-0-21966900-1506949894_thumb.jpg

Sometimes it is just a group of turrets, other times it has been all of them but the wires are still in their original positions and the turrets are still running. I have seen them fall through ledges as in this picture as well as completely through a concrete building from the roof all the way to the ground and inside the concrete foundation. It is fairly random and it isn't connected to the number of items at a settlement as I have had settlements with well over a hundred turrets have no issues but Tenpines Bluff has had it happen several times as have a few others.

Odd this is that it happened today at Tenpines Bluff and was there earlier and there were no issues but came back a short time later and about 1/4 of the turrets were on the ground or embedded in the foundation of a concrete building where I had to remove the foundation to get the turrets.

I've never seen that. Do you have any mods that dynamically alter settlements? Like, I dunno, sim settlements? Or maybe some weird bug with Transfer Settlements blueprint re-engaging or something?

Have you tried moving (or just grabbing and not moving) the foundation/floor and see if that re-snaps the turrets? If it does, maybe something wrong with the foundation/floor instead of the turret?

I don't know if this helps any, but I've seen wires do that when I move an attached object using setpos or modpos... after the object is moved, you have to grab it again to reset the wire.

Those turrets are gold... what turret mod is that? Maybe that's interfering somehow?

EDIT: From the screenshot, it looks like the first turret in line has had it's wire connected when it fell through, and the other wires are all still in place. Maybe something wrong with just that first turret, and the others followed suit but only partially? If that's the case, maybe something wrong with the way the game deals with objects wired in series? Any mods that alter wires or their behavior? Have you tried wiring a complete circuit, first one connects to last one again, and test to see if that maybe helps or makes it worse?

EDIT: Any other wired objects doing the same, like lamp posts, computers, cages, etc? If not, and since turrets are considered actors (at least, I'm pretty sure they are), maybe some physics mod or AI pathfinding mod or navmesh somehow screwing up and dropping the "actor" to the ground, like I dunno, whenever you fast travel to the settlement it moves actors around the area to make it more lifelike or something? I haven't seen any mod like that, but I don't know them all out there. Probably not this but just in case...

Has anyone else come back to a settlement and have turrets be on the ground instead of on raised platforms or on top of buildings? This is what I am talking about:

attachicon.gif20170924025138_1.jpg

Sometimes it is just a group of turrets, other times it has been all of them but the wires are still in their original positions and the turrets are still running. I have seen them fall through ledges as in this picture as well as completely through a concrete building from the roof all the way to the ground and inside the concrete foundation. It is fairly random and it isn't connected to the number of items at a settlement as I have had settlements with well over a hundred turrets have no issues but Tenpines Bluff has had it happen several times as have a few others.

Odd this is that it happened today at Tenpines Bluff and was there earlier and there were no issues but came back a short time later and about 1/4 of the turrets were on the ground or embedded in the foundation of a concrete building where I had to remove the foundation to get the turrets.

I've fallen through the ground on certain occasions. No real explanation for it that I'm aware of.

It's a shame Beth couldn't fix this instead of giving us CC..........

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I've never seen that. Do you have any mods that dynamically alter settlements? Like, I dunno, sim settlements? Or maybe some weird bug with Transfer Settlements blueprint re-engaging or something?

I tried Sim Settlements some time ago but have since deleted it. I prefer a fortress to a shanty town for my settlements

Have you tried moving (or just grabbing and not moving) the foundation/floor and see if that re-snaps the turrets? If it does, maybe something wrong with the foundation/floor instead of the turret?

Moving the floor doesn't do anything to the turrets. The wire is able to go through as the platform it is on is a wire mesh floor, I have found that in these cases I can move the turrets back into place starting with the first one and working my way down the line but any wires that go through a solid floor will not let it move, the wire or turret needs removed. I have used this setup at a lot of locations and it only happens occasionally

I don't know if this helps any, but I've seen wires do that when I move an attached object using setpos or modpos... after the object is moved, you have to grab it again to reset the wire.

I have moved very few objects using those commands, typically on items that can't normally be moved.

Those turrets are gold... what turret mod is that? Maybe that's interfering somehow?

I am using a mod that highlights living things, turrets and bots are included in this. Very helpful in the dark but it doesn't affect the item itself.

EDIT: From the screenshot, it looks like the first turret in line has had it's wire connected when it fell through, and the other wires are all still in place. Maybe something wrong with just that first turret, and the others followed suit but only partially? If that's the case, maybe something wrong with the way the game deals with objects wired in series? Any mods that alter wires or their behavior? Have you tried wiring a complete circuit, first one connects to last one again, and test to see if that maybe helps or makes it worse?

I'm not sure why some fall and some don't. Wherever there is a transition from the fallen turrets to another turret or electrical connection that connection is still done properly. If the turret is able to be moved back into position the next wire reconnects and goes through the floor. All of my turret lines have multiple connection points to electrical supplies (streetlights mainly, nice double duty with those). As it is in this picture this is only a small portion of the turret line and is at Abernathy farm. This is at the tato fields but the line extends back beyond where the melon patch was and circles around to the other side of the farm.

EDIT: Any other wired objects doing the same, like lamp posts, computers, cages, etc? If not, and since turrets are considered actors (at least, I'm pretty sure they are), maybe some physics mod or AI pathfinding mod or navmesh somehow screwing up and dropping the "actor" to the ground, like I dunno, whenever you fast travel to the settlement it moves actors around the area to make it more lifelike or something? I haven't seen any mod like that, but I don't know them all out there. Probably not this but just in case...

Just turrets, nothing else has been moved and the turrets are still running, even the ones with the wires still in their original position. The only mod I have that has  to do with turrets is one that adds a ton of new turrets but these were standard laser turrets and were not changed by the mod.

Overall, it does not happen every game, just occasionally but it can be a real pain when you have to move and possibly rewire over a hundred turrets.

The wire is able to go through as the platform it is on is a wire mesh floor

Weird... wire mesh floors count as solid when I try to run wires through. Possibly a mod I have then. ;)

Wish I could be of more help...

I have had wires that I accidentally attached to elevators and the wires went through walls and anything else to get to the connection point. Normally the wire mesh floors block wires but sometimes FO4 picks up an electrical node on the other side of a wall or something (especially with the conduits that run through walls) and will connect to them, was like that from the start with those. Purposefully trying to do it like how those turrets are won't work though.

Originally I thought it was due to how the platforms are set up. I took one of the floor/ceiling concrete tiles and attached it to the wall then attached the single width wire floors and ran them along the wall, they don't actually attach to the wall at all and then remove the concrete tile and put in a walkway piece. Unfortunately this doesn't explain how they can end up falling through a 2 story concrete building and sit in a solid concrete foundation block or other solid tiles that are attached to the walls.

You know, I am completely unable to pass wires through walls or floors. They won't snap to anything - or rather, they'll snap to terminals and connectors and whatnot, but stay red and won't actually connect. The game knows there's a snap point there but can't get to it through the wall or object. I'm pretty sure this is normal - I've even seen mods on the Nexus which try to get around it with special connectors - so I wonder if you've got a mod that's allowing your wires to pass through things.

To test, try disabling all of your mods (including skse mods that don't show up in the data dir) and see if the wire still passes through to snap onto things. If so, whichever mod is allowing you to do that might be the problem. Are you using any mods that alter how objects are placed?

I have a lot of different mods that add objects to the game but even before adding those I had issues with wires going through floors, especially with elevators as you can select any part of the elevator and it will then send the wire down to the snap point. I found this out when I would make turret towers using elevators. I would space 2 4 floor elevators about 2 foundation blocks apart and connect them with the wire flooring and run turrets around the entire thing on floors 2 - 4 and would occasionally select the elevator instead of a turret and it would connect. I have also had it connect to conduits just on the other side of the wall.

There may be something left in the ini file from Scrap Everything as I found with that I could walk through walls of the Red Rocket interior, I will have to look again and make sure it is clean.

Does this happen with un-wired turrets too, or only with wired turrets? (i.e. the two bullet turrets that don't require power) And if you have Automatron and have finished it, you should have access to a wall-mounted spotlight... does it happen with that one too?

I'm completely out of ideas, just asking because I'm damned curious. I've had problems with furniture and objects not being peaceable in certain locations - the un-scrappable house at Somerville Place springs to mind - but never had this problem in anywhere else like Tenpines Bluff.

Only on the wired ones so far. I have a mod that about triples the number of turret types including about a dozen of the bubble turrets (floor only) but I have not had issues with them. Most of the times it happens is with those wire floors though so my guess is that is what is causing it. It may be that the turret is slightly in the floor and it ends up falling at some point because of physics. I have issues with cars that just as they are loaded fall through the overpasses, usually just one at any one time though. I am guessing it is likely along the same line of Skyrim's flying Mammoths.

Archived