sse or not to sse that is the question

darkconsole

374 members have voted

1. 1. sse or not to sse

• go oldrim
    • go newrim
    • neither of those are fallout 4

I've played with oldrim for about a collective 1.5 years. In that time, I've had to redo my mod setup 3-4 times (1 was because of a random bug/glitch that caused Mod Organizer to delete all my mods [still trying to figure out how that happened] and the other 2-3 because I wanted a "refresh/redo"). While I will say that it was a worthwhile experience and was cool and all, the biggest problem with oldrim was stability. I could search as many threads, forums, and posts on how to keep oldrim stable but it just wouldn't stop messing up. The frequent crashing was one of the bigger issues. It's the reason I stopped playing it.

I would love to make the switch over to sse (mmmm stability) but some things are missing first. I need skse (that's coming along nicely), a lot of the adult mods (and regular ones, seen some of them on nexus now) I used to use, and a mod manager like Mod Organizer (Vortex is still in development and I think Mod Organizer 2 is bug ridden,  :-/ sucks for me since I hate NMM with a passion). As of now, I'm just waiting on those specific things with sse and I would definitely play it in a heartbeat.

The only thing holding me back to modding till i can mod no more and playing SSE is Vortex.

People are to nostalgic about original game and old mods. I can't wait to see what new mods will be created. Why only recreate things? Why not make better ones?

There's at least 3 people in here who've said Skyrim is 7 years old. Why?

It hasn't even hit its 6 year anniversary yet, from its release date of 11/11/11 - so the game still is not even 6 years old.

it feels that old...add to the fact that it was re-released makes you conscious about the game's age...If you want to be pedantic about it Skyrim is 6 years, 7 months, 21 days, 10 hours, 22 minutes, 8 seconds old...^^

It hasn't even hit its 6 year anniversary yet, from its release date of 11/11/11 - so the game still is not even 6 years old.

it feels that old...add to the fact that it was re-released makes you conscious about the game's age...If you want to be pedantic about it Skyrim is 6 years, 7 months, 21 days, 10 hours, 22 minutes, 8 seconds old...^^

You talk about me being "pedantic", yet that is exactly what everyone is doing in this very thread, losing themselves over which version of Skyrim others should be playing. Blasting one version over the other in which they prefer.

And anyway, I'm referring to the 11/11/11 release date.

I feel the question is not fair which is why I didn't vote. If it was instead which game I think any content creator should focus on, SE or the original, assuming users could have the exact same set up on both... Then I'd say "SE" without hesitation. I suspect that it's a matter of time for SE to reach that point in fact- And while I know this will not be well received, I'll add that at that point, making content for both or just for the original Skyrim would mostly be wasted time. SE is simply superior as a basis, as a foundation, for being more stable and running better if nothing else. The content club is irrelevant by the way.

Seems to me, that all that would stop SE from blossoming into mod hood(Cringe!) would be hesitation on the creators' part, caused by the lack of content worrying users... Which is caused by hesitation... And so on... As I said, assuming we could have the same set up; That SKSE as well as another couple of core mods required were out proper. I may be wrong about it being a matter of time though, I can't even imagine what obstacles SKSE's creators may have to negotiate as they work on it.

Edit - It just dawned on me that some mod creators have probably lost interest, meaning we could never have the exact same set up unless someone else picks their work up and converts it(Which is possible, if not likely). I can only speak for my set up when I say I wouldn't mind, those particular mods were actually already quite old and abandoned, close to not even being worth of installing. They're the kind which would be nice to have but I wouldn't really miss, things which if I hadn't personally installed I might be unable to tell if they were activated or not except in very particular situations. So that's not a deciding factor for me either.

I would also like to point out that as of Beth's last Creation Club update, they have broken many major SSE mods, including everything by Chesko (Frostfall, Campire, etc.) and Convenient Horses. It doesn't matter if you bought anything or not either - everyone using those mods is affected, because the underlying core Skyrim code has been altered to prepare it for their own CC mods.

I can't begin to describe how antithetical it is to the entire idea of bothering to personally mod a game, yet give away ultimate control of your mod stability to the whims of a corporation which is becoming more adversarial and fickle towards it's users as time goes on.

I would also like to point out that as of Beth's last Creation Club update, they have broken many major SSE mods, including everything by Chesko (Frostfall, Campire, etc.) and Convenient Horses. It doesn't matter if you bought anything or not either - everyone using those mods is affected, because the underlying core Skyrim code has been altered to prepare it for their own CC mods.

where do you people get this stuff

these mods are working just fine im using them myself. actually using them. actually playing sse.

the only thing it broke was skse,

so they recompiled it.

problem solved.

where do you people get this stuff

these mods are working just fine im using them myself. actually using them. actually playing sse.

the only thing it broke was skse,

so they recompiled it.

problem solved.

They are not completely broken, but a number of features crucial to the mods stopped working.

See here for further details: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/74g9ew/xb1_creation_club_update_breaks_frostfall_and/

Sorry mate, I'm not making stuff up or getting bad rumours here. This is legit. Chesko himself has acknowledged the problem (he's posting right in that thread) WRT his affected mods and is working on a fix. Not all modders will be so diligent or willing to put up with Beth potentially breaking things on a regular basis. I know I sure won't.

• 2 weeks later...

the biggest problem with oldrim was stability. I could search as many threads, forums, and posts on how to keep oldrim stable but it just wouldn't stop messing up. The frequent crashing was one of the bigger issues. It's the reason I stopped playing it.

I would love to make the switch over to sse (mmmm stability) but some things are missing first.

Let me just say, the Crash Fixes mod changing the game's memory allocation to Windows instead of Skyrim's own horrible memory management as well as enboost has been nothing short of miraculous for Skyrim's stability in my experience. I can't stress this point enough. If Defeat didn't keep causing CTDs, I'd almost never crash these days and I have 160+ active plugins and all manner of hi-res texture packs.

They are not completely broken, but a number of features crucial to the mods stopped working.

See here for further details: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/74g9ew/xb1_creation_club_update_breaks_frostfall_and/

Sorry mate, I'm not making stuff up or getting bad rumours here. This is legit. Chesko himself has acknowledged the problem (he's posting right in that thread) WRT his affected mods and is working on a fix. Not all modders will be so diligent or willing to put up with Beth potentially breaking things on a regular basis. I know I sure won't.

This is another reason I'd want to stay with Classic. I'd be pretty pissed off to get 40 - 50 levels into a character only to have everything break because Beth pushed out their latest horse armor that nobody wants. I can't believe those idiots designed the Creation Club like this.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:32 AM, Taskmaster said:

Cant help people that fail at basic math.

• 4 weeks later...

Darkconsole,  with SL being updated for SSE... and hopefully other mods to follow.  I thought I would revisit this subject.  

I would cast my vote as now being the time to consider focusing on that.   Although we are still missing quite a few, such as racemenu and NIO... I think we will see more support follow soon.  

• 5 weeks later...

I honestly never played Skyrim Special Edition. I always thought it was a like a standalone DLC. And since I had plenty of fun the the original, I never bothered to install it. 
But from what I read now, going full SSE is for most people not an option because some basic, very important mods are not ported yet. 

@Darkconsole Eventually it is up to you, but to me it seems like sticking to the original release of Skyrim is the best for now. Once the important mods like SKSE, SkyUI and Racemenu are ported, then switch if you at that point like SSE better. 

I'm stuck on a reply. "Oldrim" has been worked and reworked and players with no knowledge of mods learned tons from it, and finally got it working halfway decent.

Would they think you were an (insert epithet here) if you abandoned it? Modders always do what they want, it's what makes them hot rock stars.

Fallout 4 seriously needs modders, it's sort of orphaned.

Do what you want, and people will follow you (That's how it works in movies, anyway)

With the recent windows 10 update that fixed the Dx9 memory cap, Skyrim Classic does play much better than it used to. That said, SSE is un-arguebaly superior performance wise. It is much faster, responsive and is overall more enjoyable to use. Those super-fast SSE load times never get old. SSE plays and responds, very crisply and I can't really fault it in that regard at all.

HOWEVER.

>Many important mods continue to either not work at all, or partially. Progress has been made, but SSE is nowhere near fully compatible with all my mods (yet). That matters

>Skyrim SSE, despite its 'newer' more advanced engine, simply cannot complete visually to Skyrim Classic. Maybe this will change in the future, but no matter what I do, or install, my NPCs and the world generally, do not look near as realistic in SSE as they do in Classic.  That matters as well. 

As things stand, Classic does not run 'as' well, as SSE overall. SSE wins that hands down. But with the recent dx9 fix from $MS, Classic is fast and stable enough  that for now, classic.  Having everything working AND working well enough, trumps SSE's advantages and benefits. 

Updated (opinion)

Been working with SSE and its mods a lot of late, and have converted by hand, a lot of mods that either were not previously working, or are abandonware etc. Made a lot of progress and have converted a lot of missing content from my load order. Even  found a SSS mod that someone put together. At this point, I likely have restored well over 90% of classics functionality. Aesthetically, SSE is nearly as good as classic, though classic still has a slight edge in that dept, it is not the deal breaker it once was. I suspect with a bit more work I can get 95% or better of classics functions in SSE. Some things still annoy, and are missing, but, I can deal with them.

For a casual user that wants a click and install seamless move? Still might find some disappointments and frustration. Depends. If you have the know-how and the time to spend working on it, you should be able to recreate (most) of the classic skyrim goodness in SSE.

I see 2018 as the year where sse will become good.

It's going well thus far, everyone was in limbo till skse, (why bother mindset); this isn't the case anymore.

@darkconsole

ORZ I need your mods in my sse game, it's not a complete experience otherwise, ^_^.

Archived