Mesh blending?

avarisc

Skyrim (original) uses two body meshes - one for light weight and one for heavy weight bodies, and blends between these using a (weight) slider.

There's no documentation that I have been able to find on this feature, but I'm wondering if it can be applied to other things, or at least in other ways.

In Fallout 4, we are given a triangle for body shape.  I am purely guessing here, but I get the vibe that it's using deforms rather than actually blending between 3 meshes.

I want a more diverse body type system for Skyrim.  My first experiments involved wiring up CBBE morphs to RaceMenu sliders using my own custom formula.  While it kind of worked, changing the slider was terribly laggy, and often resulted in mismatched/desynchronized morph settings, and was just all-around clunky to the point where I wouldn't even be comfortable releasing it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this mesh blending via, say, SKSE?  If not, is there a way we could get the engine to blend between three or more meshes?  I expect it would take some reverse engineering, and I'm willing to put in some work.  I'm just hoping someone more experienced can at least point me in the right direction, which could save a lot of time.

Sliders in RaceMenu are already SKSE (NIO).

The meshes are not blended, but

morphed - the vertices are moved in axes x, y, z.

Laggy is normal. Depends on the number of affected vertices.

Morph (in Skyrim) only works with 2 identical meshes (not the shape - the vertices topologie).

The triangle in FO4 is not a morph. It is Bone scaling with extra bones.

So - Racemenu is the right way, even if laggy.

I want a more diverse body type system for Skyrim.

I'm wondering if there is a way to do this mesh blending via, say, SKSE?  If not, is there a way we could get the engine to blend between three or more meshes?  I expect it would take some reverse engineering, and I'm willing to put in some work.  I'm just hoping someone more experienced can at least point me in the right direction, which could save a lot of time.

You're making a ton of extra work for yourself.

The most varied body options are in the UUNP family.

Load up Outfit studio, load the UUNP reference and start clicking on all the bodytypes on the right hand side.  You'll see.

To enjoy all those showing up in your game, either randomly, or some characters with your own chosen shapes, then use this

>https://www.loverslab.com/topic/53531-unofficial-bodygen-docs/

Read the whole thread.  Use the templates a few guys posted.

It will take you a while to figure out and setup.

But way less time, than you attempting something new like mesh blending.

Archived