PC hangs on shutdown

Rokabur

Started just 2 days ago, when I click to shut down my PC, it goes to the logout screen with the spinning blue circle beside the text and then nothing happens. First time it happened I clicked shut down and left before my PC was turned off, returned 2 hours later to find it was still 'shutting down'. I have no idea what could be causing it. Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPER Antispyware and nothing was found. Even ran Disc check. After running disc check , PC shutdown fine once and then hung again the next time.

First back up the entire system. (if you can image the OS then do that as wel)

Then perhaps you might try the "repair" option if you have the OS install disk (not vendor one) It might fix it. Also make sure you have all the updates. If that don't work you have the backup and you have tried to keep it working (with the current version)

Some background program running and not allowing the system to shut down. Could be something gone wrong with an update for Windows or the OS is corrupted somehow which is causing this. could be many things.

I agree with ritualcalrity on this; some Windows Update or a recently installed program. With some Windows updates it is super super critical to make sure they install completely and if the PC needs to be rebooted to finish the install then best to reboot it right away. Waiting for some later time to reboot and finish can lead to issues like yours.

You have some clues as to when it started occurring, so you could possibly review your Windows update list, uninstall all of those updates back to that date and then reinstall them.

I also like using CCleaner to clear the crap out, including Windows registry settings, but I would only run that AFTER trying the uninstall /reinstall of Windows updates. Setting up and running CCleaner also helps keep your PC running optimally. I do it manually once a month, but I believe it can be set up to run automatically. It also has a feature that allows you to review processes/programs that initiate at startup, which you can then selectively turn off. That too may be a cause of issues similar to yours.

If as a last resort you need to reinstall Windows, I find it better, once I have everything installed and setup, to clone the entire drive or partition, if you have a drive that you partitioned. I also have one drive dedicated to Windows and some apps, while my games and some other apps are on separate dedicated drives/partitions for those. ( I have 6 in total with this PC; 4 internal and 2 external for mass storage of MODs, audio, video media and such.)

Some general advise before nuking your install...

Check your event logs (application and system) for red errors, also  Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational. Sort the "Task Category" column alphabetically. Look at all items under the category "Shutdown Performance Monitoring" Try to spot anything odd.

use task manager to kill all process running under you user context to see if you can shut down successfully. If you can then you know its one of those processes.

Use msconfig to create minimal boot by disabling services and startup items to see if shut down issue persists if not then its one of those you disabled, re-enable few at time till culprit found.

I doubt anyone is running 32bit anymore but be careful running ccleaner

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16325202/ccleaner-hack-malware-security

Already tried uninstalling then reinstalling the latest Windows updates, PC still hung regardless. I have no real idea how to even read the Event Viewer. Will try the task manager thing. I did try doing safe mode and windows shut down just fine. I do use CCleaner and it is the 64-bit version.

2 things I noticed in the past week is my antivirus Avira kept popping up a window stating that for my security that my access to the hosts file was blocked. Funny thing is that box was NEVER checked in Avira. I went into Avira, checked and then unchecked the box and that windows has almost stopped showing up. Other thing is my access to certain websites seems to restricted or something. It's completely random if I'm actually able to get to the website. When I can't I just get a message that my browser can't establish a connection to the server at <website name>.

I did try doing safe mode and windows shut down just fine.

That shows there is something hanging in windows. Some service or program that isn't letting windows shut down properly.

2 things I noticed in the past week is my antivirus Avira kept popping up a window stating that for my security that my access to the hosts file was blocked. Funny thing is that box was NEVER checked in Avira. I went into Avira, checked and then unchecked the box and that windows has almost stopped showing up. Other thing is my access to certain websites seems to restricted or something. It's completely random if I'm actually able to get to the website. When I can't I just get a message that my browser can't establish a connection to the server at <website name>.

You didn't mention this before if I remember correctly. Having things change without your directions, being blocked when you should have access and such might mean that you have a root kit, virus or malware. Just because your antivirus or other tools isn't seeing it, doesn't mean it isn't there. A virus/malware/rootkt can be ignoring windows process and doing it's thing causing the shut down issue. Those virus etc aren't coded to comply with windows rules or demands. They are coded to ignore much of what is being told to them and to get access to things (and sometimes restrict you from access as well) .

Been thinking, something might have happened to my anitvirus software Avira. When I try using the Task manager to end processes, I can end Avira itself but when I try to end Avira system tray application I get the small window that states that the operation could not be completed and that access was denied. When I tried disabling startup programs through Ccleaner, when I try to shut down my PC and end up having to do a hard reset, when I started my pc back up Comodo firewall, Comodo Internet Essentials and Ccleaner itself were enabled. And now, even with the box UNCHECKED, Avira telling me that for my safety access to the registry has been blocked because I wanted to install an update to an installed program.

You have comodo and avira running at same time...does not seem like a good idea to run multiple active av or firewall related products.

If you have no issues running in safe mode then use msconfig to disable services and startup items, this is built in tools from ms then enable few at time like i said to find root cause or application.

Taskmanger, if process is not running in your user context then you should not be able to kill it (ie its running under "system" or "local service") unless you are running with admin privileges, even them some AV have self defense mechanism to keep their process from being killed (so virus cannot turn AV off). So the "access denied" is expected on some processes.

Second both other users suggestions:

**D_ManXX2 > use sfc /scannow from admin command prompt.

MS KB Article for SFC

**ritualcalrity is correct that if you have something trying to access you hosts files I would suspect virus, try scanning in safemode

You can also try from admin command prompt the following command then reboot

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

MS KB NETSH

You have comodo and avira running at same time...does not seem like a good idea to run multiple active av or firewall related products.

If you have no issues running in safe mode then use msconfig to disable services and startup items, this is built in tools from ms then enable few at time like i said to find root cause or application.

Taskmanger, if process is not running in your user context then you should not be able to kill it (ie its running under "system" or "local service") unless you are running with admin privileges, even them some AV have self defense mechanism to keep their process from being killed (so virus cannot turn AV off). So the "access denied" is expected on some processes.

MS KB Article for SFC

**ritualcalrity is correct that if you have something trying to access you hosts files I would suspect virus, try scanning in safemode

MS KB NETSH

No idea how it happened. I ended up completely reinstalling Avira antivirus, I did the sfc /scannow, then I did the netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then clicked restart instead of shut down, PC restarted just fine without hanging the first time. Guess I'll see if it hold when I turn it off for the night.

And I'm more then 90% certain the problem has been Avira antivirus. Booted PC into Safe Mode and completely uninstalled Avira (I use Revo Uninstaller to remove programs and it showed Avira at 2GB install size). Restarted PC like normal, once I got to desktop screen I restarted PC least 3 times, no hanging on shut down. Anybody recommend a good free alternative to Avira antivirus?

For free I have used Avast for years, with some occasional problems but easily solved in most cases. I've moved to the middle tier paid version to access some of the other features they now provide. Kaspersky would be my next choice but that is paid version only, but I have used the 30 day trial of it in the past, to locate issues other AVs never found. (I will never, ever install Norton or McAfee on any PC I own, or any of my family, friends or neighbors PCs.)

Try running sfc /scannow in your command prompt window and see if it finds any damaged system files and repairs it.

also do you have any external drives connecting to your pc try removing those prior to shutting down ans see if windows is still hanging.

I'd forgotten about that. That is a issue from time to time depending on your system, hard drive and setup.. :) Good point there.

MS KB Article for SFC

MS KB NETSH

No idea how it happened. I ended up completely reinstalling Avira antivirus, I did the sfc /scannow, then I did the netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and then clicked restart instead of shut down, PC restarted just fine without hanging the first time. Guess I'll see if it hold when I turn it off for the night.

It could have been the AVira antivirus but doubt it unless it just gotten totally corrupted for some reason or was being modified by a virus (not updated etc properly) Hackers will use exploits from security software if they ever find any ;) That rarely happens but... you never know. It could also  have been some corrupted scanning database it was using. It might have gotten hung on a file or something.

I believe the SFC/Scannow would be the best and give the best results. At least to cover corruption of the OS.. Windows is horrible when it comes to getting bit rot and corrupting itself. I had forgotten about that function.. :) I only used it once and then it didn't do anything to make things better for me. (Work Computer at the directions of Tech support there)

I use a paid software for antivirus etc. and have a "forever" malware bytes or Enterprise edition or whatever they called it at the time. I also won't use Nortons or McAfee on any computer I own or suggest it for anyone. I would use Windows Essentials (and other tools) before I would use that.

And it seems like something did happen to Avira. I even downloaded a new version of Avira from their website and installed a fresh copy, pc still hung so I'm thinking something happened somewhere. Installed Avast for now and pc shuts down just fine. Am still having a problem with being able to access some game sites though.

Am still having a problem with being able to access some game sites though.

Could use more detail here is you really want help...What specific issues are you having and with what sites. Version of windows and browser your using would be extremely helpful too. wink.png

Using Firefox on Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit. The issue I have is being unable to access ONLY certain websites. When I try to go to the site I just the window stating Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.grimdawn.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Once in a while I actually can visit the site, then 5 minutes later I get that message again. The exact same message appears on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer too.

Edit:And it turns out the damn message might be from HTTPS Anywhere plugin for Firefox. Funny thing is I can/do get the exact message in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

That's why you test by running with no plug-ins or add-ons ;)

If it happens in all browsers then I would think some kind of dns issue, try changing dns servers on your nic or at router level. Or you could have still some infection that changes or redirects your dns queries.

In the example www.grimdawn.com it works fine if you use http but if you try to force https protocol on that url you get the exact error message you posted. So this is a matter of that site not using https and the error is then expected.

Thanks to everybody who offered up advice. Still completely stumped as to why Avira suddenly started causing my PC to hang on shut down. As for HTTPS Anywhere, I'm just leaving that disabled for now. I searched around about pc hanging on shut down and most of stuff had to do with a Windows 7 problem that was/is fixed by Service Pack 1.

There is still a possibility of an virus or other malware on your computer. I'd suggest that you use other services (multiple) and scan double check to be sure (if you haven't done so yet) 

The program hanging could just be something as simple as some configuration incompatibility. It happens, since it is accessing such low level areas, it is more sensitive to this. If you can use another program (antivirus) and don't mind.. then I'd forget about Avira.

• 2 weeks later...

i hade that one until i installed advanced systemcare it a sofware that find every errors and fix it to it will clean your ram and cpu so you dont got the 100% cpu using.

Have to be careful how you use that software. Tried out the Driver Booster and some of my system drivers were from 2013. Updated the drivers and my PC started hanging/locking like 3 minutes after startup. Started PC in Safe Mode and did a system restore to before I updated the drivers. Is there some way to update system drivers without it fucking up your PC?

Archived