Rattling noise

firehawksh

Hey guys.

About two months ago I bought an msi Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB card which has been operating nicely until a few days ago. It then started making strange noises from the fan's direction which sounds like it's hitting something, yet when I try to spin it manually while the PC is turned off, it moves smoothly as it should without any problems. This is not continous, the noises comes and goes intermittantly, usually starting after some time (a few hours) has passed and from then on it can appear anytime.

This goes by going only faintly at first which progressively gets worse in a few seconds, keeps making noise for some time, then stops. I've asked the retailer through e-mail what could be the cause and they suggested that the GPU fan may not like low fan speeds, but when I tried raising it, it didn't seem to help.I have also noticed that if I very gently push the plastic cover surrounding the fan upwards when it's making this noise, it instantly stops as though it never happened, and returns with a vengeance when I release it. Some advice would be appreciated because I was warning it can take up to several weeks before the card gets tested by the manufacturer, and there's no guarantee that they will be able to reproduce this issue and just send it back to me.

Thanks in advance.

Check if all the retaining screws for the fan and the fan shroud are present and tightened.  Also check if the heatsink screws (on the back, where the PCB is) are tight.

I tightened the screws for the fan as much as I possible could, those on the back already were. The noise seems to be weaker than before as it's not as loud as it was, but still comes up at a non insignificant rate unfortunately. It also makes a faint noise everytime the table my PC is on gets the smallest of bumps, so it's still far from ideal.

OK, at this point, you need to very closely examine the fan while it is running and clicking.  Try to find out exactly where it is making contact, and take pictures.

Unfortunately, due to how the motherboard is installed into the tower case my GPU is positioned so the fan faces downwards, meaning it would be difficult to take pics while my PC is running and if I put it on its side I may be able to examine it but under different circumstances. Not impossible of course, just not sure how I would do it yet.

EDIT: It seems tightening the screws around the fan helped significantly, will see if it stays that way.

EDIT2: Seems it worked, it no longer makes noise. Thank you for the help.

Archived