Color blindness tests

Bazinga

Ok, so for the last ten years or so I get told that I'm mildly colorblind. Basically everytime I take one of those darn Ishihara tests, and to make things worse every employer that cares about color vision uses those.

You see a 2 here?

post-162794-0-75948400-1505438892_thumb.jpg

Because I can stare at this chaos of dots as long as I want, I still don't see anything resembling a 2.

And "reverse Ishihara" also tells me that I might be colorblind.

Guess what's written in this picture:

post-162794-0-08559300-1505439205_thumb.gif

Doesn't take me more than a quick glance to see the big fat

NO

The weird thing however is that I absolutely ace other color blindness tests like the Farnsworth color arrangement test and the "Color IQ" test.

Like 100% correct order.

I do well in the RGB anomaloscope test too.

Usually like this here if I pay really close attention (some of these hues are very similar):

post-162794-0-21526500-1505439932_thumb.jpg

So a very short line from the middle to the right.

But I don't do well on Ishihara, except for 2 or 3 plates I don't see anything, or I see the stuff that colorblind people are supposedly seeing (like a 21 instead of a 74 or something).

Then someone posts images of how I'm supposed to perceive my surroundings. Like this here:

post-162794-0-31788400-1505440073_thumb.jpg

The first image looks about right to me, the others not so much.

Btw, are people with one of those color vision anomalies supposed to see no difference between the image related to their color anomaly and the normal one? All the other three are looking desaturated and off to me.

So how can it be? Why do I suck at just this one test, that also happens to be the one employers use all the time?

Not that this caused me many problems, I'm just curious because I get strong pseudo science bullshit vibes from some of these tests, especially the one I fail of course.  :P

FYI:

I can't see anything meaningful in the second example you have given me. I don't have color blindness and have no issues with the other test or such. That second test isn't a very good one. (First one is clear as day ;))

Second thing, there are different levels and causes of vision issues (including color) in order to truly understand if or if you don't have an issue a proper experienced expert is needed to help coordinate the various test to give you a proper diagnosis.

Your vision seems normal to me. Might have a slight problem distinguishing between reds and greens. See this for more-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

This in particular-

Deuteranomaly (most common—6% of males, 0.4% of females):[30] These individuals have a mutated form of the medium-wavelength (green) pigment. The medium-wavelength pigment is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum resulting in a reduction in sensitivity to the green area of the spectrum. Unlike protanomaly the intensity of colors is unchanged. The deuteranomalous person is considered "green weak". For example, in the evening, dark green cars appear to be black to Deuteranomalous people. Similar to the protanomates, deuteranomates are poor at discriminating small differences in hues in the red, orange, yellow, green region of the spectrum. They make errors in the naming of hues in this region because the hues appear somewhat shifted towards green. One very important difference between deuteranomalous individuals and protanomalous individuals is deuteranomalous individuals do not have the loss of "brightness" problem.

Second thing, there are different levels and causes of vision issues (including color) in order to truly understand if or if you don't have an issue a proper experienced expert is needed to help coordinate the various test to give you a proper diagnosis.

I somehow doubt that.

Problem is that I know that I see all the colors. The thing I can't figure out so far is which of the following is true:

1. Somehow my whole color spectrum is a bit off, so I see some colors more vibrant and some differences more clearly than others but I can make out all of them which the color arrangement tests clearly show.

2. My brain works in mysterious ways, making me less competent at visual pattern recognition, maybe especially if colors are involved.

I hope it's the first one, but Ishihara doesn't tell me. And it won't tell an "expert" either, because all I'm doing there is staring at some freakin dots.

I somehow doubt that.

Problem is that I know that I see all the colors. The thing I can't figure out so far is which of the following is true:

1. Somehow my whole color spectrum is a bit off, so I see some colors more vibrant and some differences more clearly than others but I can make out all of them which the color arrangement tests clearly show.

2. My brain works in mysterious ways, making me less competent at visual pattern recognition, maybe especially if colors are involved.

I hope it's the first one, but Ishihara doesn't tell me. And it won't tell an "expert" either, because all I'm doing there is staring at some freakin dots.

Doubt it if you want. You can talk to your doctor, eye doctor or do a simple search on the web. There are many causes from medication to degeneration of the eye. There are three types of color receptors in the eye and different degrees of color blindness.

https://nei.nih.gov/health/color_blindness/facts_about

http://www.bausch.com/your-eye-concerns/diseases-and-disorders/color-blindness

is Color Blindness considered a disability?

Depends on what you call a disability. If it is legal.. perhaps depending on your local laws. If it is a disadvantage, only really if you have to have understanding of color like an electrician having to be able to identify colors for his / her job. For most it is just inconvenient as you will have to memorize where some colors are like with traffic lights or color code your wardrobe so that you can have proper matching outfits etc, etc.

is Color Blindness considered a disability?

Depends on the context.

Since blue-yellow color blindness used to get seafaring people killed, yes.

Yellow green color blindess used to get people eaten by *saber toothed thing such as hamster or tiger here* on a regular basis

red-green not so much, which is why it's still pretty common.

Ok, so for the last ten years or so I get told that I'm mildly colorblind. Basically everytime I take one of those darn Ishihara tests, and to make things worse every employer that cares about color vision uses those.

You see a 2 here?

attachicon.gifplate with 2.jpg

Because I can stare at this chaos of dots as long as I want, I still don't see anything resembling a 2.

attachicon.gifreverse_ishihara.gif

NO

The weird thing however is that I absolutely ace other color blindness tests like the Farnsworth color arrangement test and the "Color IQ" test.

Like 100% correct order.

Usually like this here if I pay really close attention (some of these hues are very similar):

attachicon.gifClipboard02.jpg

But I don't do well on Ishihara, except for 2 or 3 plates I don't see anything, or I see the stuff that colorblind people are supposedly seeing (like a 21 instead of a 74 or something).

Then someone posts images of how I'm supposed to perceive my surroundings. Like this here:

attachicon.gifdifferent-types-color-blindness-photos-76.jpg

Btw, are people with one of those color vision anomalies supposed to see no difference between the image related to their color anomaly and the normal one? All the other three are looking desaturated and off to me.

So how can it be? Why do I suck at just this one test, that also happens to be the one employers use all the time?

Not that this caused me many problems, I'm just curious because I get strong pseudo science bullshit vibes from some of these tests, especially the one I fail of course.  :P

Crap, I stared at the second image till I got dizzy to try and see a pattern then I gave up and continued reading that you're NOT supposed to see a pattern if good color vision pfffhew...

You see a 2 here?

attachicon.gifplate with 2.jpg

attachicon.gifreverse_ishihara.gif

NO

Like 100% correct order.

attachicon.gifClipboard02.jpg

Crap, I stared at the second image till I got dizzy to try and see a pattern then I gave up and continued reading that you're NOT supposed to see a pattern if good color vision pfffhew...

Ah, you aren't suppose to see something in that? Cool, don't know the reason for that though. Weird test. Never seen that type of test. I suppose those that have color blindness that it is suppose to test would see something?

The last image is ment for people with  "normal vision". So they can imagine how ppl with shifted color spectrum see their environment. The picture in the top left reflects the "normal world" for every person regardless of their color spectrum. 

I guess you aren't completely color blind. Instead your color awareness is slightly shifted into reddish or greenish direction. Well I'm not a doctor. Just assumptions. ;)

Archived