Help me find where this problem comes from

My main rig's (8350, R9 290,2x4gb ram) gpu died and I currently dont have the money for new decent up to date GPU so I just use wifey's PC. I want to point out that I added my HDD and my ram to her rig which is i3 2120 with R9 270X 2GB. 

And here is the problem - Skyrim SE, fresh install, just minor mods like 4-5 armor mods, wearable lanters, stuff like that. Less than 20 mods in total, no script mods or anything demanding like 4k res textures, etc. The game runs butter smooth with 60 locked fps, which amazed me for her rig which is old tbh. BUT for some reason on certain (unknown to me) occassions the game starts to stutter so bad that its unplayable, it goes down to 1-3fps. And I don't see any reason behind it because it can happen in places like in the starting dungeon during the escape when you start the game - its not the open world, its closed "room". Even so it mostly happens when there are no enemies around. During combat with lots of opponents the game is still locked at 60 frames. I don't see any drops at all, it runs perfect but something causes the game to stutter. I thought the ram runs out but I remembered thats my ram from my rig where I was using almost 200 mods including 4k textures mods and I never ran out of 8 gigs of ram so such light installation wouldn't cause the fill up of 8 gigs. I checked and it mostly goes to 5gb IN TOTAL, including the background apps not just the game. The CPU load is very low in 90% of the time and during the stutter. 

Of course everything is latest - direct x, drivers, etc. 

I manage to track down whats causing the problem and how to fix it on the go. 

It seems every time I pause the game (with escape), and then try to resume the stuttering begins, regardless of my location or being in combat or not. The only way to fix this is to alt-tab the game during the pause menu screen. So every time when I have to pause the game I have to do a quick alt-tab before I unpause the game and the stuttering is no more - complete smooth experience.

Again, whats causing this and why its happening will remain unknown to me :^\

• 3 weeks later...

Mabe there is some Background stuff kickin' in whenever the game does not require much resources, like a anti-virus or an indexing or optimizing function.

Or it may struggle with an overy large Swapfile...

Does it appear like the HDD is rummaging during this?

The CPU might go into power-saving due some stragne settings in the powerprofile...

taskmanager and cpu-z might help you get started.

Archived