Would it be silly to upgrade from pascal to volta for 1080p gaming?

ChokingHazard

Right now I've got two-way SLI GTX 1080's and a 1920x1080/60hz monitor.

Would it be silly to upgrade from my Pascals to Voltas when they are released next year?

For 1920x1080 resolution, I doubt that Volta will have any significant performance increase compared to Pascal.

Maybe for 1440p and 4K, but not 1080p.

Already the GTX 1080 is too much for just 1080p.

Save the graphic card money and get at least a 2K monitor. Better if with 144Hz refresh.

1080p = 2K

Nope.

1080P = 1K

2560x1440 is the minimum 2K.

DCI has no bearing or standing over the VESA standard and is a paid and marketed platform and is promoted for streaming and projecting movies.

The 2K VESA standard is QHD which requires a minimum pixel count of 3.686m and a minimum resolution of 2560x1440

If you're done using junior high semantics to lose an argument that never was an argument to begin with because XGA was adopted as the worldwide monitor standard in 1986 which happens to be 19 years before the DCI ever existed, we can move on.

Ok then, let me take a look at that chart to see who really won this argument.

1920px-Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

Okay...

I'm out, have fun.  :lol:

Jokes aside, if you wanna buy a new TV or computer monitor 2K usually refers to 1440p which is 2560x1440 pixels. Nobody uses 2K the way it's indeed defined, more than 2K pixels horizontal. So yeah, technically speaking 1080p is indeed nearly 2K but who cares? Retailers certainly don't.

@OP: You're joking, right?

It's funny how most "should I upgrade?" or "how should I upgrade?" threads are made by people that already have a system that is more powerful than what the majority has.

And I always wonder:

• Is it boasting? Then stop it, it won't make your dick longer.
  • Or do you genuinely not know what to do with all your money? Then donate to charity. Or give GPUs to people who can't afford them  :D
  • Oh, maybe you are bored or hope to crush your sadness with better hardware? Can't help you there  :P

On topic: like others said, get more pixels first. SLI (or any other multi-GPU setup) will still lead to micro-stuttering here and there, even if it's become better the last few years. Do you have a SSD yet? And enough RAM?

Can I play Tom Clancy's The Division with every single graphics setting and slider completely maxed out at 1920x1080 and never once dip below 60fps using my setup?

Uuuh maybe. The thing is, The Division like some games has a Resolution scale. That amps up the graphics quite a bit and causes a fps drop of course. If you keep it normal at 100, then I would say Yes. 

I have a 1060 and can do it, although, I don't usually enable Much antialasing, not because of limitations but just because at 1080p it just seems a bit overkill depending on the game. Most games, I feel like i don't need it.

Only game I usually use that stuff is on fallout 4.

Archived