[Question] Making new Armor using 3DS Max: Exported Armor Issue

I've been following Nightasy's tutorial on making Armor for a while now and still having the following Issue:

The piece of armor stays invisible in game although I am able to see the armor mesh just fine using bodyslide.

I tried to investigate this further by using NifSkope to have a look at all the properties of the armor and was able to find out what was wrong: BSLightningShaderProperty Node was not contained within the drop-down list of properties attached to the armor mesh. Needless to say, No BSLightningShaderProperty means the armor mesh won't have any kind of texture applied to it hence the invisibility perceived in game.

Now my questions are:

1. Would attaching the property node manually using NifSkope cause any major issue at all?

2. How would one export an armor mesh from 3ds max without missing any property?

I would greatly appreciate anyone able to advise me on this particular issue

1) What is the slot set at in the nif under BSDismemberSkinInstance - partrition for each piece? 2) Does the slot in the nif match the slot being used in the CK for the armor addon and armor instance? 3) What version of nifskope are you using? 4) Are you using the 2.0 whatever version or are you using 1.1.3?

I use nifskope 1.1.3 for everything unless the nif is a fallout 4 nif.

In nifskope 1.1.3 the BSLightingShaderProperty for a item part should be found in the block detail under the part at the bottom of the parts box. 

If a item doesn't have a BSLightingShaderProperty you can simply load a armor or outfit nif up into nifskope that has it and right click the BSLightingShaderProperty line and go to block - copy branch then go to the other nif and right click the armor or outfit part and go - block paste branch next change the texture path to the right one.

Just make sure you do not use the BSLightingShaderProperty for the body as it'll throw up errors if you do even if you delete the texture paths out as the BSLightingShaderProperty texture path for the body uses different texture paths.

post-25667-0-93685100-1504359320_thumb.png

1) What is the slot set at in the nif under BSDismemberSkinInstance - partrition for each piece? 2) Does the slot in the nif match the slot being used in the CK for the armor addon and armor instance? 3) What version of nifskope are you using? 4) Are you using the 2.0 whatever version or are you using 1.1.3?

I use nifskope 1.1.3 for everything unless the nif is a fallout 4 nif.

In nifskope 1.1.3 the BSLightingShaderProperty for a item part should be found in the block detail under the part at the bottom of the parts box. 

If a item doesn't have a BSLightingShaderProperty you can simply load a armor or outfit nif up into nifskope that has it and right click the BSLightingShaderProperty line and go to block - copy branch then go to the other nif and right click the armor or outfit part and go - block paste branch next change the texture path to the right one.

Just make sure you do not use the BSLightingShaderProperty for the body as it'll throw up errors if you do even if you delete the texture paths out as the BSLightingShaderProperty texture path for the body uses different texture paths.

Thanks for answering to my queries, here are my info:

1. Slot set: SBP_32_BODY, this applied to all pieces.

2. I'm not sure since I haven't loaded up CK for this. I only used the exported .nif on an existing armor piece (prisoner rag or something similar) in order to test the mesh in game.

3. I'm using version 2.0.0, (I did hear some rumors regarding the instability or unwanted results using this version but I'm not sure)

I'll try to follow your advice to see if it work, thanks for the help

EasY: There are the right settings needed, paired with an understanding, what happens during nif-export and what to export exactly and how.

Depends also on the nif-exporter version.

-edits in nifscope can be very much timeconsumpting...better if you have a properly export.

If you have your armor ready with the mesh, the skin (it´s envelopes) and the skeleton (and the weight-paints), you´ll have the BSDismemberSkinInstance modifier, that has to be put at least. It´s always very important, that the whole clothing is seletced, best to switch to "polygons" and press "select unused" , so that the whole clothing will be shown marked. After that you go and press onto the create button and then you are ready for nif-export. In the nif exporter you let nothing from verticles being welded, everything is best on zero: 0,0000.

You mark collapse transforms and zero transforms, EXPORT SKIN MODIFIER and ENABLE MULTI PARTITIONS if you have, you also can use "sort nodes"...then you export the stuff as NiNode, NIF w/o Animation and I mark also "transforms". With that export you should be fine inside of bodyslide and later also inside of the game. This is my "to-go" since I create my clothing.

If you have problems with 3ds, please watch some vids on you tube untill you can handle the software. It´s always difficult, if you can´t handle the software AND want to do stuff, that is not easy to understand (creation of clothing inside of 3ds is quite difficult).

But I think you can handle that:-)

p.s. the nightasy-vids are very well but sometimes for an beginner quite hard

p.s. sometimes a nif-file can contain a very strange error (I guess they may be caused by 3ds under special circumstances (I think,by using different Modifiers behind each other)), that are INVISIBLE and later in game, such nifs can cause CTD or other strange artefacts, this is not an error that happens during the creation-time of the project and there´s no other workaround than to start the project from new.

I've been following Nightasy's tutorial on making Armor for a while now and still having the following Issue:

The piece of armor stays invisible in game although I am able to see the armor mesh just fine using bodyslide.

I tried to investigate this further by using NifSkope to have a look at all the properties of the armor and was able to find out what was wrong: BSLightningShaderProperty Node was not contained within the drop-down list of properties attached to the armor mesh. Needless to say, No BSLightningShaderProperty means the armor mesh won't have any kind of texture applied to it hence the invisibility perceived in game.

Now my questions are:

1. Would attaching the property node manually using NifSkope cause any major issue at all?

2. How would one export an armor mesh from 3ds max without missing any property?

EasY: There are the right settings needed, paired with an understanding, what happens during nif-export and what to export exactly and how.

Depends also on the nif-exporter version.

-edits in nifscope can be very much timeconsumpting...better if you have a properly export.

If you have your armor ready with the mesh, the skin (it´s envelopes) and the skeleton (and the weight-paints), you´ll have the BSDismemberSkinInstance modifier, that has to be put at least. It´s always very important, that the whole clothing is seletced, best to switch to "polygons" and press "select unused" , so that the whole clothing will be shown marked. After that you go and press onto the create button and then you are ready for nif-export. In the nif exporter you let nothing from verticles being welded, everything is best on zero: 0,0000.

You mark collapse transforms and zero transforms, EXPORT SKIN MODIFIER and ENABLE MULTI PARTITIONS if you have, you also can use "sort nodes"...then you export the stuff as NiNode, NIF w/o Animation and I mark also "transforms". With that export you should be fine inside of bodyslide and later also inside of the game. This is my "to-go" since I create my clothing.

If you have problems with 3ds, please watch some vids on you tube untill you can handle the software. It´s always difficult, if you can´t handle the software AND want to do stuff, that is not easy to understand (creation of clothing inside of 3ds is quite difficult).

But I think you can handle that:-)

p.s. the nightasy-vids are very well but sometimes for an beginner quite hard

p.s. sometimes a nif-file can contain a very strange error (I guess they may be caused by 3ds under special circumstances (I think,by using different Modifiers behind each other)), that are INVISIBLE and later in game, such nifs can cause CTD or other strange artefacts, this is not an error that happens during the creation-time of the project and there´s no other workaround than to start the project from new.

Now my questions are:

Thanks for your thorough instruction, 

Anyway, I do find Nightasy's tutorials to be quite comprehensible, even for a complete inexperienced modder such as myself.

Archived