Can't become Thane of Winterhold Nor start Helm of Winterhold Quest.

Okay, so I've been goolging and looking on LL and reddit and even the steam forums. I cannot find a solution to this issue.

When i speak to the jarl, nothing I get all the dialog except the one to start the quest.

Here's some more information.

•  
  • My character is level 82 so it's not a leveling issue.
  • I've done the Civil War siding with the Empire. So there's a new Jarl. I never started any of the thane quests and never even spoke to the Jarls during the main quest unless i had to.
  • I'm able to become Thane in all the other holds
  • I've tried just about every fix you can find online. even others who have the issue said these fixes do not work. simpe fixes that normally work do not work. reseting the ai doesn't work. talking the to the former jarl does not work. disable and then enable does not work trying to use console commands to start or even finish the quest do not work. It just has zero effect on anything.. It seems like making this post is useless because nothing works.
  • I'm the Archemage of Winterhold if that matters.
  • I have all the DLC and the latest Legendary Unofficial
  • This is Skyrim Classic because sexlab and SKSE

I have hundreds of hours on this playthrough and can't just start over at this point. Normally, I'd just redo my mods and start over, but this is the first playthrough I've actually broken the 200 hour seal on. And that's after having nearly 4,000 hours on way too many characters since the game launched.

All the posts on this were made since 2012 up to like 2015.

I'm just hoping someone has finally found a solution that hasn't been posted yet. If you've never had this specific issue with Winterhold, it's hard to understand how impossible this is to fix like usual bugs. Reloading is impossible because I'd have go way too far back. I'm thinking the issue might have something to do with the College questline which I did like 10 or so hours into the game.

Have you done the quest to retrieve the Helm of Winterhold? I remember there used to be a conflict with the quest you pick up by talking to the merchant in the shop next to the Jarl's house, where you buy a dragon claw from her. Pick up one quest and it breaks the other. Typical quality work by Bethesda. That's supposed to be fixed by the unofficial patch though, so maybe that's not the problem.

You can try this in the console if you haven't already:

setrelationshiprank 1c1b5 2

Have you done the quest to retrieve the Helm of Winterhold? I remember there used to be a conflict with the quest you pick up by talking to the merchant in the shop next to the Jarl's house, where you buy a dragon claw from her. Pick up one quest and it breaks the other. Typical quality work by Bethesda. That's supposed to be fixed by the unofficial patch though, so maybe that's not the problem.

That's one of many console commands I've tried/found on other forums. It doesn't do anything at all.

That's one of many console commands I've tried/found on other forums. It doesn't do anything at all.

Remember to not save if you played around with the console without seeing the result you want you may save up changes you dont want to. So save before making such changes I hope you did.

Just want to add the setrelationshiprank thing cant work as if the imperials won kraldar takes place for korir "1C1B5" and kraldar has the id 1C190

This sets the relationship with the jarl confident, but the uesp site has =3 as requirement so you may try to set him to that rank and see if that changes something.

Disposition: =3 (quest giver) ID: Favor257

0 Acquaintance   1 Friend 25 2 Confidant 50 3 Ally 100 4 Lover 500

You also dont have to do the helm of winterhold quest if the imperials won, the only requirement is allready fullfilled "Rescue from Fort Kastav"

Did you check if you are allready thane? I've seen a few people didnt even notice it as you get neither a house nor a housecarl.

With player.sqs favor257 you can see if you have done the quest allready.

If you didnt you can with setstage favor257 <QuestStage> set the questobjectives you see by doing the previous mentioned command one by one and see if you get it.

For the winterhold quests there are a lot of bug reports, but if you use the unofficial patches a lot of them should be fixed.

Known bugs:

• During the quest "Containment" it is possible for Ranmir to be killed by the magical orbs that invade Winterhold rendering his quest unavailable.
  •  360   Sometimes if the Dragonborn becomes the Archmage of the college before speaking to the Jarl, the Jarl may not give the option to become a Thane.
  • After the Helm of Winterhold has been given to the Jarl, it is possible that Jarl Ulfric will ask that the Helm of Winterhold be retrieved again and again.
  • If the Helm of Winterhold is found after finishing the Imperial Questline, it may be necessary to lockpick Jarl Brunwulfs house to find Jarl Korir inside. After giving the helm to him the quest will not update making it impossible to become a Thane of Winterhold.
  •  PC   360   Upon returning the Helm of Winterhold, the Dragonborn may be asked to retrieve it again, but from a different dungeon.

After all I dont know maybe you see it diffrent, but if it whyever is messed up I would just fuck it, because you dont get anything anyway.

Remember to not save if you played around with the console without seeing the result you want you may save up changes you dont want to. So save before making such changes I hope you did.

Just want to add the setrelationshiprank thing cant work as if the imperials won kraldar takes place for korir "1C1B5" and kraldar has the id 1C190

This sets the relationship with the jarl confident, but the uesp site has =3 as requirement so you may try to set him to that rank and see if that changes something.

Disposition: =3 (quest giver) ID: Favor257

0 Acquaintance   1 Friend 25 2 Confidant 50 3 Ally 100 4 Lover 500

You also dont have to do the helm of winterhold quest if the imperials won, the only requirement is allready fullfilled "Rescue from Fort Kastav"

Did you check if you are allready thane? I've seen a few people didnt even notice it as you get neither a house nor a housecarl.

With player.sqs favor257 you can see if you have done the quest allready.

If you didnt you can with setstage favor257 <QuestStage> set the questobjectives you see by doing the previous mentioned command one by one and see if you get it.

For the winterhold quests there are a lot of bug reports, but if you use the unofficial patches a lot of them should be fixed.

Known bugs:

• During the quest "Containment" it is possible for Ranmir to be killed by the magical orbs that invade Winterhold rendering his quest unavailable.
  •  360   Sometimes if the Dragonborn becomes the Archmage of the college before speaking to the Jarl, the Jarl may not give the option to become a Thane.
  • After the Helm of Winterhold has been given to the Jarl, it is possible that Jarl Ulfric will ask that the Helm of Winterhold be retrieved again and again.
  • If the Helm of Winterhold is found after finishing the Imperial Questline, it may be necessary to lockpick Jarl Brunwulfs house to find Jarl Korir inside. After giving the helm to him the quest will not update making it impossible to become a Thane of Winterhold.
  •  PC   360   Upon returning the Helm of Winterhold, the Dragonborn may be asked to retrieve it again, but from a different dungeon.

After all I dont know maybe you see it diffrent, but if it whyever is messed up I would just fuck it, because you dont get anything anyway.

Like I said, I've been at it for hours. There's zero dialog involving doing something for the new Jarl. I know for a fact I'm not the thane because I never had the dialog, I never got the winterhold weapon, and I have a house mod that automatically shows a display for each of the holds you own a house in.

I've been through literally everything you've mentioned and more trying to fix this. I was only hoping that someone who has experienced this found a solution, because like in the 10+ threads i've looked through on this issue, everyone makes the same guesses and assumptions about this specific issue, and none of them work. In a few threads it was concluded that there is no solution and that Arthmoor is (seemingly) refusing to bother with it. This thread is basically a last ditch effort.

sqs.quest_xxx shows only the stages of the quest, not the status - to my knowledge. ;)

I once had this phanoman in solitude.

The reason was a mod that moved a trigger slightly.

You can see in CK how favor257 is triggered.

But actually it should be enough with getstage favor257 check - whether 0.

If 0 - then setstage favor257 10, then fasttravel somewhere, save and exit (not main menu, but to the desktop).

Then load, fasttravel back and check with getstage favor257.

If not 10, then you can forget it, the save is broken in this point.

sqs.quest_xxx shows only the stages of the quest, not the status - to my knowledge. ;)

I once had this phanoman in solitude.
The reason was a mod that moved a trigger slightly.

You can see in CK how favor257 is triggered.

But actually it should be enough with getstage favor257 check - whether 0.

If 0 - then setstage favor257 10, then fasttravel somewhere, save and exit (not main menu, but to the desktop).
Then load, fasttravel back and check with getstage favor257.
If not 10, then you can forget it, the save is broken in this point.

player.sqs questid thow the stages and what you allready did of them.

• 2 years later...

I’ve had the exact same scenario. I’ve gotten all of them to Korir to make me thane. It actually is incredible to me no one has figured out a fix to this yet. 

•I got him the helmet and that quest finished successfully. He took the helmet from me and the quest is finished at stage 200

•He will not give me the dialogue asking me to assist the people of Winterhold.

•If I set favorjarlsmakefriends to 80 it brings up the objective and finishes immediately completing at objective 85

Yet the thing that just baffles me is favor257 absolutely refuses to start or advance anywhere past 0. I’ll set another stage and then getstage and it’s still at 0.

Don’t mean to Mannimarco this thread, but this is the only one anywhere I’ve found that addresses this issue beyond the surface level.

I’ve done all the fixes suggested and none work. Maybe someone’s figured it out by now? Worth a shot

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, T-lam said:

I had in the past a similar problem, do not remember exactly where.

But it might help.

Killed the npc, save and quit to desktop.

Reloaded and resurrect the npc.

Then this setrelationshiprank worked.

This worked for me thanks. Perhaps violence is the answer LMAO

• 1 year later...

This issue actually resolved itself for me after visiting an entirely new world space for a period of time. I went to Beyond Reach and Bruma, and when I got back, the dialogue was available. On a technical level, I’m assuming the issue was fixed because I forced a sort of hard chunk reset by remaining out of the cell for a long enough time. Hope this helps someone else, because I struggled with this for years.