Oblivion Dialogue Questions

ISNAN

Hello all, I'm creating a personal mod for Oblivion and had some questions about the dialogue system. 

What I'm doing is adding sound files to some NPCs of a new race I created and I want them to use these in random conversations with other NPCs. Everything is set up for the most part, so I'm just down to tweaking and linking the info responses, but I have a few questions to make sure I'm on the right path before I potentially screw things up.

What I did was create a new race and pointed the voice it will use to a new quest for that race which has the infos and responses in the appropriate tabs. I heard that the conditions I have flagged on the Quest Data tab, will check on every info I have. It's not a playable race, so I just have GetIsRace as the condition, and on the info conditions, I have the GetIsSex for each appropriate one. Plus a few other conditions that check different things. Ok great, I'm that far.

Now, I'm down to using the "Link To" and "Link From" to tie it all together, but it's kind of confusing me. I assume that when I link to a category, the CS will put that info from my race into the list with the generic responses. Like for instance taking a response from an INFOGENERAL and linking it to CurrentEvents so the NPC my race is talking to will use a CurrentEvents response. Since the response from my race is now added to the CurrentEvents catagory, do I need to flag a condition like GetIsRace so that other NPCs don't use it, or is it already being checked because of the Quest Data condition? Am I even on the right track?

Here is what my Conversation tab looks like.....

[Conversation tab]

HELLO                |

GOODBYE          |                                 

INFOGENERAL   |                               I sense a storm brewing.                            (GetIsSex [Male] == 1.00) AND

(GetIsWeather [Thunderstorm] ==1.00)

Link To:

CurrentEvents

INFOGENERAL

GOODBYE

IdleChatter

______________

Link From:

HELLO

INFOGENERAL                   

CurrentEvents

So, my questions are...

Am I on the right track?

Since I have GetIsRace flagged on the quest data tab, I don't need to flag it on the info line?

"Link From" is coming from the NPC my NPC is talking to, and "Link To" is my NPCs response going back out?

Anything additional I need to know about?

Any help would be appreciated. I've never messed with dialogue all that much, so I have went through a lot of tutorials but they are mostly basic.

Disregard this post. I answered my own questions. 

For those that are curious....

Am I on the right track? - Yep

Since I have GetIsRace flagged on the quest data tab, I don't need to flag it on the info line? - Correct

"Link From" is coming from the NPC my NPC is talking to, and "Link To" is my NPCs response going back out? - Yep. If the other NPC said something out of the hello, infogeneral, or currentevents categories, then my NPC could potentially use the "I sense a storm brewing" line if the weather condition is true.  Once he says that, the engine will pick a response for the other NPC in one of the categories that are listed in the "Link To" box. If no conditions are met in the currentevent category, then it will look at infogeneral. If no conditions are met there, then it will use a goodbye to end the conversation. The idle chatter is for another case in which my NPC will say this randomly while idle if the weather condition is true. 

Anything additional I need to know about? - If trying to use idle chatter, one needs to select "either" in the [Next Target] box in order for it to work since there isn't a specific target. If you select "self", then the other conversation categories wont work correctly. I'm not 100% on this, but it seems to work.

Anyway, I thought it would be funny to watch a guy answer his own questions and not leave an empty thread around. If anyone is working with dialogue and and was kind of curious themselves, feel free to ask and I will help out with what I have learned so far. 

Archived