Skyrim's VRAM limit

Kingmurray

Not that simple.

With Cfix and EnBoost, skyrim technically has no limit for models, textures and other data that ends up on or through the GPU. The hard limit for Skyrim's DATA is indeed 4 gigs.... however enboost can spawn multiple copies of that data once the limit is reached, thus "bypassing" the limit.

Your load order is pretty much four years out of date, and frankly I would start from scratch because mixing and matching with new and old is just going to be a giant mess unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing.

Thirdly, mixing three different survival mods with three different spawnlist mods and two crashy as fuck blood and sound mods is probably not a good idea even if you're the god of skyrim mod-modding.

The official hires pack is also a mess and completely uneeded, if you insist on using Beth textures, get the recombined pack from the nexus.

two questions:

1st : I have been trying to find out what Skyrim's vram limit is? I'm pretty sure its 4GB but i'm not sure

2nd: Are there any mods in my load order people would suggest getting rid of: https://modwat.ch/u/Kingmurray

thanks in advance

As stated above, start from scratch. your mods and their requirements have been changed, updated, optimized, many simplified or gotten rid of etc.

get rid of the beth high res packs. 

Do your installation as follows:

1. Download and install any terrain mods, including housing, city/village mods, player homes, additional expansions such as legacy etc., anything that modifies or adds terrain or land.

2. download and install any texture packs for your land / terrain.

3. use ordenator, follow its instructions precisely. it is important to do this before you use any lighting (ENB included), body or outfit mods. just terrain / land.

4. download and install your bodies their textures, hdt, etc.

5. download and install your outfits, weapons, etc.

6. download and install any additional NPC generating mods or quest mods that generate NPCs.

7. download and install follower mods.

8. may need to re-install bodies and their textures if you need them applied to your NPC mods, and re-run bodyslide, texblend.

9. install any climate mods if any or climate affecting mods.

10. install lighting effects or ENBs.

You also need to keep an eye on scripts during the whole process, if something feels too heavy take a step back and either optimize it or remove it / replace with something else, as it will surely cause bigger problems down the line.

Windows 10 has a bug with Direct X 9. It limits Direct X 9 games to using no more than  4 gigs vram. Using Crash Fixes and ENBoost the right way, can work around this limit. The bug was recently fixed but it is only available on Windows 10 Fast Ring and possibly Slow Ring by now. You can switch to one of those rings, but you will get the extra bugs that come with developmental builds also. You can also simply wait untill the Fall release comes to everyone as a proper release. The Fall update will probably be sometime in September, October at the latest. If you decide to switch to Fast or Slow ring now, there is apparently a bug with Mod Organizers virtual install feature, because of extra dev hooks that Microsoft put in.

Windows 7 does not have the Direct X 9 vram limit. If you use Windows 10 and use ENBoost and have at least 4 gigs vram, make sure to set VideoMemorySizeMB =4064 in enblocal.ini.

two questions:

1st : I have been trying to find out what Skyrim's vram limit is? I'm pretty sure its 4GB but i'm not sure

2nd: Are there any mods in my load order people would suggest getting rid of: https://modwat.ch/u/Kingmurray

thanks in advance

Skyrim (Oldrim) is 32 bit - means maximum 2³² bit of memory can be addressed. This also applies to VRAM.
ENB and SKSE offer the possibility to use more memory.
This works well if your system is reasonably synchronous (no bottleneck). Havok, graphics and papyrus must be synchronous - otherwise problems.

To the age of your mods I can say nothing, except to those who are from me - and they are still up to date.
No idea how someone comes to 4 years - does not matter.

Whether you want to get rid of mods, you know best. Whether your game is stable or not, whether you really need all these mods - your own decision.

I am on the point of getting a gtx1080 to upgrade my pc from a gtx770 for installing only 2k and 4k resolution textures.My goal is to be able to make my game look as neat as those supposed next-gen skyrim gameplays shown in youtube.

The gtx1080 will play along with an i74770 @3.4 (notK),16gb of ddr3@1600MHz and an ssd at 1080p.

The thing is that the vram issue scarries me for freezes,ctd's and stutters.Right no i have a really stable setup with my gtx770 but i only use 1k textures.Though my mod list is really heavy (with lots of sexlab mods).I did athorough researche before installing my mod list for incompwtibilities,load orders,mod priorities and i am really happy how the game plays.

I am aware of all the memory addressing mods-utilities and i use them just fine with mod organizer.

Anyway, are my fears reasonable?Should i invest on a costly gtx1080 for having a smooth and high fps (near 60fps) gameplay experience with a recent enb,hires textures and many scripted mods?Thanks!

Edit

I am playing skyrim 32bit on win7

I am on the point of getting a gtx1080 to upgrade my pc from a gtx770 for installing only 2k and 4k resolution textures.My goal is to be able to make my game look as neat as those supposed next-gen skyrim gameplays shown in youtube.

The gtx1080 will play along with an i74770 @3.4 (notK),16gb of [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script> and an ssd at 1080p.

The thing is that the vram issue scarries me for freezes,ctd's and stutters.Right no i have a really stable setup with my gtx770 but i only use 1k textures.Though my mod list is really heavy (with lots of sexlab mods).I did athorough researche before installing my mod list for incompwtibilities,load orders,mod priorities and i am really happy how the game plays.

I am aware of all the memory addressing mods-utilities and i use them just fine with mod organizer.

Anyway, are my fears reasonable?Should i invest on a costly gtx1080 for having a smooth and high fps (near 60fps) gameplay experience with a recent enb,hires textures and many scripted mods?Thanks!

Edit

I am playing skyrim 32bit on win7

The answer is literally the same as the last time you asked this.

The answer is "yes", as long as your npc limit in a cell is reasonable and all you're doing is changing out the textures and your enb, and your native resolution isn't ridiculous.

The thing is that the vram issue scarries me for freezes,ctd's and stutters.Right no i have a really stable setup with my gtx770 but i only use 1k textures

problem isn't your card but your mess

when i was playing enderal, that was with a gtx 570 1280 mb, and i didn't stick to 1k textures

346404Clipboard02.jpg

that's skyrim bsa overwrite by enderal bsa overwrite by whatever there is in my meshes and texture folders

smco was load on all textures (for the a8nsomething texture optimiser don't take care of)

textures optimiser was load on ALL textures (*_msn in the .ini to avoid the ones from mods)

for more fps, you can resize if above 2k landscape, armors, clutter...

no need for that for caves or interiors, archi it's up to you (smaller loading time to enter crappy cities, or not, fighting there will suck whatever you do)

the result was put in compressed bsa (make a huge difference for grass and tree folders, or if you don't play with a ssd)

npc mods can waste a lot of ram too depending on what you pick (the more you waste, the less you have left to load stuff)

Today, you have a 4GB limitation on windows 10 with Directx9....whatever your GPU (gtx750, gtx980, gtx1080, bla, bla, bla...)

However, a new GTX runs the game better than an old GPU....despite the 4GB limitation.

BUT :cool: , in september, a windows update will be available and will remove this famous limitation with directx9.

So, just wait till september, and you will be able to use the full memory of your GPU

AHHH!! and you can easily avoid to reach this limitation with a good choice for textures size (1K/2K/4K).

Caution with 4K, this can be very demanding.

Theoretically, at least according to Mr Boris, you can use as much as 128GB of RAM/VRAM if using ENB. I don't know if that's actually true. The Windows 10 bug has supposedly been fixed though https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6k58mf/dx9_4gb_memory_issue_should_be_fixed_in_new/

Unfortunately, it looks like the fix is only for beta testers and not public yet.

Windows 10 has a bug with Direct X 9. It limits Direct X 9 games to using no more than  4 gigs vram. Using Crash Fixes and ENBoost the right way, can work around this limit. The bug was recently fixed but it is only available on Windows 10 Fast Ring and possibly Slow Ring by now. You can switch to one of those rings, but you will get the extra bugs that come with developmental builds also. You can also simply wait untill the Fall release comes to everyone as a proper release. The Fall update will probably be sometime in September, October at the latest. If you decide to switch to Fast or Slow ring now, there is apparently a bug with Mod Organizers virtual install feature, because of extra dev hooks that Microsoft put in.

Windows 7 does not have the Direct X 9 vram limit. If you use Windows 10 and use ENBoost and have at least 4 gigs vram, make sure to set VideoMemorySizeMB =4064 in enblocal.ini.

The DX9 fix is out for Windows 10 Beta testers, but if anyone is considering going the beta route for a DX9 fix you should know that Windows Beta version has some test environment only things that muck up MO. When it goes live there shouldn't be an issue, but if you use MO switching to Window 10 beta to get the DX9 fix isn't an option. 

For those that are not, let me say it is working great. I am on Build 16251.rs3 and it is stable. The DX9 fix has boosted my ENB available VRAM (based on Boris' test tool) to 20384mb. Switching to the Beta program was easy, and overall the transition wasn't much different than downloading a standard update. 

Theoretically, at least according to Mr Boris, you can use as much as 128GB of RAM/VRAM if using ENB. I don't know if that's actually true. The Windows 10 bug has supposedly been fixed though https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6k58mf/dx9_4gb_memory_issue_should_be_fixed_in_new/

Unfortunately, it looks like the fix is only for beta testers and not public yet.

The DX9 fix is out for Windows 10 Beta testers, but if anyone is considering going the beta route for a DX9 fix you should know that Windows Beta version has some test environment only things that muck up MO. When it goes live there shouldn't be an issue, but if you use MO switching to Window 10 beta to get the DX9 fix isn't an option. 

For those that are not, let me say it is working great. I am on Build 16251.rs3 and it is stable. The DX9 fix has boosted my ENB available VRAM (based on Boris' test tool) to 20384mb. Switching to the Beta program was easy, and overall the transition wasn't much different than downloading a standard update. 

Version 16232 includes the VRAM fix and it doesn't screw up MO (version 16251 does). I'm using MO and 16232 and it's quite stable for me. The only issue is that you have to disable windows updates through the registry in order to prevent it from constantly updating to 16251.

But yeah, it does help enormously to have all that extra VRAM.

Archived