How do I ACTUALLY install Streamline 3.1 Beta?

ISNAN

Hey all!

I'm just now starting to experience Oblivion for the first time and have installed the mods I want, but I am having an issue with the streamline mod. I'm getting SO many conflicting answers and the read me that come with the 3.1 Beta doesn't actually go into detail about it.

I had it installed ( so I thought) about 3 weeks ago, but I'm not entirely sure that it's working properly. This is how I originally installed it:

I made a new folder in my Oblivion Data folder called "Streamline". That is where I put the ini. I then grabbed the Patch version of the esp and stuck in the Data folder as well and have been using that. It instialzied when I started a new game, so I thought everything was a go. After playing awhile, I decided that maybe I needed the performace version of the Patch, so I stuck it in the data folder and and started a new game. It intialized as well, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting what is advertised. That is when I started to dig a little deeper by making some Google searches about it.

Now I'm confused as hell.

One person says to put the 3.1 beta esp in the folder first and THEN put the patch esp in so they "merge". Well, they don't merge because that is not how files with the same name conventions work. It overwrites and you are left you whatever file you overwrote it with. You don't get a new version with with esp A and esp B. You just get esp B. So, not sure what that person was on about.

I stumbled across the BAIN version, so I decided screw it, I will install it that way. BUT when I look at the read me inside, they say to install the PATCH first and THEN the main beta and too have the patch first in the load order and the beta below it. What in the actual hell!?! That doesn't make any sense. How would I even now which one is the patch when they are both named the same thing? Why would a patch come first anyway? Why call it a patch if that is the case? That would be like trying to patch a pair of jeans by sewing the pants onto the patch. 

Common sense tells me what the author did originally, was made tweaks to the Beta version and then distributed as a patch. So one is actually getting the main 3.1 beta and whatever tweaks was made. If not, it would have been 2 esps to begin with. That is why I installed it the way I did the first time. 

How did you guys set yours up? I feel like it's more simpler than what it is, but with all the trouble people have had with installing makes me wonder. Also, while we are at it, I hear streamline needs to load last on the load order. Would that be before or after the batch patch? 

Much appreciated for any answers to this. 

I'm posting this for documentation purposes in case there are people like me who are just now starting to play Oblivion and are scouring the net trying to find anything relevant to their search....

OK, I dug deeper into this and I'm still not getting anything concrete. It looks like many people have had issues with it and have suggested turning off most of the features that it's known for. My original intent was to use Streamline along with OSR (Oblivion Stutter Remover), but I wanted to install streamline correctly before I installed OSR and made the proper tweaks so they both work together, and since I have to turn off most of the features with streamline, I had to reevaluate what I'm actually trying to use streamline for, and I have come to the conclusion that OSR is probably the best route for my situation. Streamline was still in Beta and never got finished and the fact that it probably had little to no beta testing done on it, my conclusion is that it was probably working against me and making things worse. 

Just to clarify, I have read the read me inside and out, and have made the proper settings in the ini before starting a new game. So it wasn't an issue with my setup. I honestly think that the mod is just buggy and depending on what mods people use, it creates conflicts which cause the bugs to appear more frequently and possibly creates newer issues. This would explain the vast differences people have had with it. I hope like hell OSR lives up to it's reputation. 

A little rant about information regarding Oblivion searches...

I hate my time being wasted by going to a forum or site and not getting anything in return. I've done this 1,000s of times in the last 2 months. Trying to find information for Oblivion whether it's advice or a tutorial, is like finding a needle in a haystack. One literally has to go through every page of replies in order to find anything relevant that might help them for what they are trying to do. Then one has to piece the info together to create a mental tutorial for themselves. Part of the reason I have found is a combination of dead links, crappy google search results, and just obsolete sites. A good example is CS wiki. You look at a tutorial that has images that go with it, but those images are dead links. So they are giving you 60% of the info in the form of text and relying on the images for the other 40% of the tutorial. Well, if the image links are dead, one is left with a half assed explanation of the info. Nexus is bad as well. Most of the links result in the page not existing. So one has to find a working link, and modify the the url by putting in the page number in order to actually go to the "new" working link. Even here at LL, some of the links people post in replies result in a 404 page error. The old addage about "once it's online, it's ALWAYS online", is simply not true anymore. Sites revamp or become abandoned. Plus the fact Google searches are crap. They would rather give you 3 links for the search and give you 1,000,000,000 other results talking about the UK's "Oblivion" program that is available for people that want to erase their online identity or some Grandma's blog talking about her garden and somehow have used, "Oblivion", "Animation", and "tokens", in her blog. Like wtf? Anyway, the best thing someone can do for themselves is to "collect" any information they deem useful and save it somehow, whether that is copying the text and saving it in notepad or save the entire web page "As Complete", so it can be viewed in 10 years, regardless if the site is available or not. 

Just wanted to add that this is in noway a rant about LL. This site is one of the very few that actually has relevant information and has been vital in my quest to find a working Oblivion. 

Many years ago I installed streamline, I needed it only for one Mod.

But streamline made my game very unstable, so I deleted streamline and the Mod.

The version I installed had a clear installation instruction.

Newer versions I never tried. So I can not help you.

My advice, don't use it if you don't need it.

-------------

Installing a Patch: always install the patch last.

First the old/base/main file  then the Patch .  And if there are files with the same name let the Patch overwrite the old files.

------------------------------

Oblivion install insturctions:

-My yellow Link below.

or http://www.loverslab.com/topic/8893-installation-guide-with-lovers-mbp-and-wyre-with-bashed-patch/

or  http://www.loverslab.com/topic/50847-anatriaxs-guide-to-morroblivion/ ( you can skip the Morrowind part )

In none of the instructions will you find streamline. ( This is probably the reason why none has answered your question, or can answer it. Almost nobody uses Streamline. )

Thanks for the replies. This makes me feel better and answers some questions about it. I've seen you guys here and there on these forums and you always have sound advice, so I truly trust it. Hopefully anyone that is new to Oblivion will see this and appreciate the info. 

Streamline is simple to install.  You simply download the 3.1 beta and run the exe file.  Point towards a temp directory and extract it.  Instructions on what to do from there will be in the file.

Last thing you need to do is run the patch and repeat the above (extract to temp directory and this time manually place the esp you want to use in the oblivion/data folder - there are two to choose from:  Performance and Debug.  Choose the performance one).

While simple to install, it is VERY complex.  Right out of the box it will make your game run like shit.  Seriously.  It is made to be tweaked to your system.  You'll need to read the documentation and make the adjustments.  Most folks install it, run it and then complain it doesn't work very well.......NO DUH!!!  They didn't tweak it.

Depending on the age of your computer and what all you are running, you may want to turn off streamsave.  While it is handy as hell (it is an auto save that actually works and doesn't corrupt your saved games) it can cause a massive drop in your FPS.  Again, turn on what you want and turn off what you don't.  I am running Streamline 3.1 along with OSR and have since they both came out.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Greg!

I actually heard about streamline from one of your post from awhile back...:)

I originally installed it the way you described, so that eases my mind. I went back through the sl and oblivion ini and reread the guides like a fine tooth comb. I re-tweaked some settings, turned off streamsave, and set the FPS so that it will work along with OSR. When I was checking the Oblivion ini, I noticed some settings had reverted back to default. I remember further tweaking it using oblivion tweak guide, so I must have inadvertently changed a setting Streamline relied on. :blush:  Now that everything is set correctly, hopefully it will improve things.  

I definitely appreciate your guy's help. You all are awesome!

A good rule of thumb is if it isn't broke, don't fix it.  If you can play Oblivion without streamline and OSR, then great.  If you have issues, then give them a whirl and play with the settings.  

Just because someone says you "have to have this", don't believe them unless they offer clear indisputable proof.  

Case in point, I don't use the unofficial patches that everyone claims you must use.  Never have.  Never will.  I use OOO, so I don't need them.

Hope that helps!

Archived