Outfit Records

Does anyone know about finding outfit references?

I have gone through and changed the default outfits for most of the NPC's. No point in having smoking hot npcs if they are all getting about the place in vanilla rags I say.

Problem is, at certain stages in the game, npc's get new outfits. Sometimes it is a completely new npc, eg there are 3 Ciceros. The one at Laurius farm is a different NPC entirely to the one you meet in the santuary, and again when he (she) is a follower at the end. This is easy. Now Astrid, for one example, is a different problem. There is only one Astrid. (well actually there are 2, there is burnt up astrid, but I don't have and outfit for her there. I was going to make her a new burnt skin .... smokin hot corpse :cool: .. mb one day). I gave her a new outfit and she happily sits on her bookshelf in the hut wearing it, looking all hot and stuff.

But then she goes back to the sanctuary, and ... default DB armor. So clearly there is a reference to her, and her outfit ... somewhere apart from in the NPC record, mb a quest reference, mb a cell reference? I can't find it.  I can't change the default DB armor records, because then Nazir will have to hook up with Festus instead of Gabriella, and no one wants to see that. Gabriella seems happy to wear her new skanky clothes ....

It has been bugging me for ages.

What you mean are outfits in Skyrim.
If you want to know if an armor is in an outfit form, right-click the armor and "Use Info" in CK.
You can edit the outfit with drag and drop (left button)
Outfit popup and object window -> drop Armor.

ty. Yes I get this. It is how I made new default outfits for all the npcs. Well, I used tes5edit .. but the functionalitiy is the same. What I mean is there is a record, or a cell reference, or a quest reference, that is telling, in this example, Astrid, to wear the default DB outfit when she returns to the sanctuary. I want to find this, so I can make it tell her something else.

What you mean are outfits in Skyrim.
If you want to know if an armor is in an outfit form, right-click the armor and "Use Info" in CK.
You can edit the outfit with drag and drop (left button)
Outfit popup and object window -> drop Armor.

ty. Yes I get this. It is how I made new default outfits for all the npcs. Well, I used tes5edit .. but the functionalitiy is the same. What I mean is there is a record, or a cell reference, or a quest reference, that is telling, in this example, Astrid, to wear the default DB outfit when she returns to the sanctuary. I want to find this, so I can make it tell her something else.

My guess is - either package or script in the quest.

Default Sleep Outfit would also be a reason for changing clothes - but only while sleeping.

Still beaten.... sigh.

I did find a reference to astrid and Astrid Sanctuary Outfit in the quest records for "with friends like these". I thought I had cracked it! I replaced this outfit with Astrid's custom skank wear..... aaaaaand she still wore the DB outfit without mask. Bitch.

So now I have made everyone that used to wear this outfit (I could only find her ... obviously ... contrary bitch, and Veezera) wear the masked version, and then I changed the unmaskes version that Astrid had been wearing into her custom skank outfit. Wear your shit DB gear now woman! I dare you. Find another record ... go on!  She probably will.

I am going to start a new game, in case the game decides it wants to specifically allocate her sanctuary outfit in Helgen just cause ..... just to screw with me .... cause....

In theory it has to work. I am going to cry if it doesn't.

So in summary, I have nothing to add to the brains trust on why specific NPC's seem to just go off and wear whatever suits them .... but mb a workaround.

Outfits are similar to scripts in save - permanent and sometimes really annoying.

Before you start a new game and need many hours for the crucial moment:

Start Skyrim - In the main menu, open the console - coc qasmoke -> placeatme. Id 1 (id of Astrid) for test.

It's better than hours long to wait for a disappointment. ;)

Still beaten.... sigh.

I did find a reference to astrid and Astrid Sanctuary Outfit in the quest records for "with friends like these". I thought I had cracked it! I replaced this outfit with Astrid's custom skank wear..... aaaaaand she still wore the DB outfit without mask. Bitch.

So now I have made everyone that used to wear this outfit (I could only find her ... obviously ... contrary bitch, and Veezera) wear the masked version, and then I changed the unmaskes version that Astrid had been wearing into her custom skank outfit. Wear your shit DB gear now woman! I dare you. Find another record ... go on!  She probably will.

I am going to start a new game, in case the game decides it wants to specifically allocate her sanctuary outfit in Helgen just cause ..... just to screw with me .... cause....

In theory it has to work. I am going to cry if it doesn't.

So in summary, I have nothing to add to the brains trust on why specific NPC's seem to just go off and wear whatever suits them .... but mb a workaround.

Well you found the relevant stuff for setting Astrid's sanctuary outfit. Now here's the bad news.

The value of the script property is set up at first game load. It is baked into the save. So if you were to modify the quest and change the outfit property after the fact it doesn't affect any existing saves, only new ones.

Now you can hack around this by making a start game enabled quest that references the DB02 quest as the fragment script QF_DB02_0001EA51 and changes the property.  This is the best solution I can think of so you don't modify vanilla records and scripts. You would make an entirely new outfit and set it as the property for the "update" script on your quest. This is from memory so may not be accurate Papyrus. Something like this

Scriptname myHackToChangeAstridSanctuaryOutfit Extends Quest

QF_DB02_0001EA51 Property DB02 Auto
{The quest with the fragment we want to update}
Outfit Property AstridsNewOutfitForSanctuary Auto
{Desired new outfit for use in the sanctuary}

; this is a one shot update script so just put stuff in onInit
Event OnInit()
    DB02.AstridSanctuaryOutfit = AstridsNewOutfitForSanctuary
    Stop()
EndEvent

It could/should be extended to include code to change it if you already passed the stage where she outfit swaps (check for stage >= 50) but not 220 since that's the kickout stage. Also could add in code to swap her pre-sanctuary outfit as well if desired.

I gave her a new outfit and she happily sits on her bookshelf in the hut wearing it, looking all hot and stuff.

But then she goes back to the sanctuary, and ... default DB armor. So clearly there is a reference to her, and her outfit ... somewhere apart from in the NPC record, mb a quest reference, mb a cell reference? I can't find it.  I can't change the default DB armor records, because then Nazir will have to hook up with Festus instead of Gabriella, and no one wants to see that. Gabriella seems happy to wear her new skanky clothes ....

It has been bugging me for ages.

give dragonbone armor to lydia, she equip it

give leather armor to lydia, she keep dragonbone armor

if the db armor have more armor than what you gave, game will pick db armor over that armor

and if replacing db armor is a problem because nazir end up with boobs, or without body, you just replace the armor addon (custom armor mesh path to db armor female mesh path, and you leave male path alone)

From the looks of it your armor item has mismatching biped slots for the armor addon, or the mesh is missing. Maybe it's an armor that is supposed to have a body and it's missing?

One of those for sure. This is not such a huge problem. I have had to find missing bodies before. At least she is wearing her skanky clothes now. But I was so disappointed! Sadly Andy's excellent suggestion of just spawning an Astrid to check didn't work, because until you kill Grelod, you just get hut Astrid. So I played all the way there for real. (Actually I had a few fun stories on the way. It wasn't really a trial)

.... aaaand then .... sigh. I almost gave her the full defeat kill move.

Archived