Why no MCM?

Rooker

As I sit here contemplating the two dozen chem/apparel script activators and dozen or so configuration holotapes in my inventory, I have to wonder, why is there no universal MCM-type configuration mod yet to handle this stuff? MCM was easily the best thing to happen to New Vegas / Skyrim modding and now we seem to have taken a large step backwards in time nearly 10 years. It just seems really primitive compared to how it is in Skyrim.

The Def_UI person seems to have started something like it, but it seems primitive and not terribly easy to use, for users or modders.

I wouldn't mind it half so much, except nearly all these mods refuse to let me move the settings item to a container. Move them out and a script unhelpfully adds a new one.

If you missed it there is this, which is pretty much it at present, basic sure but it will get better http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/4176-vinfamys-control-panel-hotkey-no-biped-slot/

I think most of the problem is doing things that papyrus in its current state can not do, or if it can do would be major hassle to get going, when the script extender gets better I am sure the mcm or something similar will get better.  Do not forget mcm in skryim did not come around till v4 or is it v5 of skyui? which was what 2 years or so after the began development of skyui, and having 2 years of the script extender being worked on as well as things like jccontainers, papyrus utilites, ui extensions, mfg console and the equivalent for fallout 4.

It is also up to the mod authors to use such things, if they are not using them well there is not much you can do except make patches for the mods that annoy you yourself or hope somebody else who has the skills will do so.

And of course there is the most common answer, if you do not like the current version of whatever, make your own, this of course assumes you have the skills and time to do so of course.

• 1 month later...

Archived