Modern Firearms (OUTDATED, NEW LINKS NOW POSTED) 2.5 1.4 by Idlesheep

View File

Hi,
Most of you will know about this mod by now, originally made by Idlesheep and now that his life is too busy to maintain it, cared for by his 'team' - a ragtag bunch including myself of varying skill levels.
The mod includes a huge variety of weapon families which are all as customisable as we can make them, for example there aren't many varieties of AR15 that you can't make, and anyone who knows guns knows that's a LOT of variations. Families include but are not limited to:

AR15
ACR
MP5
MP7
UMP
G36
HK416/7
SCAR
AK 47/74/104 etc
Saiga
Spas
Sig 550/1/2/3
M60
M249
FN2000
Famas....

You get the picture, there are a ton of guns here. There are some modern type body armours included too, and more customisation options for everything than it would even be possible to list. Functions such as suppressors on/off, fire mode, scope zoom/type and underbarrel equipment are all switchable in gameplay by use of the 'Fallout 4 Hotkeys' mod by Registrator2000, negating the need to carry more than one of any weapon type. All of it is integrated into the level lists. As the file is way too large for the Lovers Lab server, please download the latest version at this link: 

https://modern-firearms-fo4.info/

The downloads section here contains **OUTDATED VERSIONS** of  the Modern Sidearms sister mod and various patches for personal taste tweaking- damage reduction, stagger removal and Contraptions compatibility, along with a temporary fix for some scopes for AMD GPU users.

**FOR THE LATEST AND SUPPORTED VERSIONS PLEASE USE THE WEBSITE OR DISCORD, VERSIONS HERE ARE NOW YEARS OUT OF DATE**

FO4Hotkeys can be found here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11664/?

...and finally the team can be found at our Discord server here:

https://discord.gg/modern-firearms-318955212251332608

While I will attempt to answer your questions, some technical issues may be above my pay grade, so the Discord may be a quicker and more direct way of getting support.

Installation:

IMPORTANT: IF UPDATING FROM A VERSION EARLIER THAN 2.5 A CLEAN SAVE IS REQUIRED

First install F04Hotkeys, then make a backup of Hotkeys.ini, located in your data folder.
Download MF2.5 1.4 from the link above and install it, agreeing to overwrites of FO4Hotkeys
It's recommended to use a mod manager for installation to make updating simpler.
If using MS also, install it directly afterwards, and keep it next to and below MF in your load order.
If damage patches are required then unzip the damage patch pack and install only your preferred level, and MS equivalent also if using MS
Other patches can be installed directly.
Open Hotkeys.ini with any text editor and put your choice of keys at the beginning of each line, if using letters use capitals, eg:

=cgf "ModernFirearmsModSwitchScript.SwitchUnder"
should read something like:
K=cgf "ModernFirearmsModSwitchScript.SwitchUnder"
the result being that hitting the k key will switch between your main weapon and an attached underbarrel weapon.
You're good to go, enjoy!

Changelog can be found in the MF zip. Credits and FAQ can be found by contacting the team or via our pages at bethesda.net, moddb (listed as Cold Steel Hot Lead) or our webpage here: https://modern-firearms-fo4.info/

Our credit list is in the process of being re-written, when it's complete and up-to-date I'll amend this post.

NOW, A CALL FOR SOME HELP:

As I mentioned, Idlesheep has left us in charge of his mod for the time being, but few of us possess any modding skills at all. We currently (and pretty urgently) need help or at least advice on a couple of things:

1) Scripting- LegacySlayer from this forum and the Nexus has re-written our pre-ck plug in, cleaning many potentially dirty edits and making it possible for us to get an update out for Xbox, but in the process our switch scripts have broken. Anyone willing to lend a hand would be much appreciated, and his experimental version of the plug-in can be provided for any interested modders to take a look at.

2) Animation rigging- we have permissions to use a whole bunch of animations, Wardaddy's stuff amongst it, but the only thing stopping that is a total lack of know-how in rigging them. Again, anyone willing will be welcomed.

Anyone that feels they can help in any way with these issues, contact myself or LegacySlayer via PM here, or head over to our Discord to just get right into the discussion. Thanks for reading.

Edited by siframe

A few notes about using the mod:

You can construct a vending machine for MF related items, found under the crafting section of the workshop. It takes pre-war money as currency.

The vending machine serves an important purpose for gameplay as you can turn any favourite guns into MF Custom variants, which avoids a game engine issue with scripts. Simply put, if you have more than one gun from any weapon family in your inventory then the switch scripts will not work as the game doesn't know which one to trigger. Making your personal gun into an MF Custom gives it an ID unique from other weapons in its family, allowing you to loot as many more 'regular weapons' as you can carry and still have your custom weapons scripts functional.

You'll need to find and scrap MF weapons in order to make MF weapons, only a few vanilla crafting components are used.

To get all the guns (to help us beta test, to cheat or just to dribble over the huge selection lol) use the console command "help mfcontainer 4" which will give you two ID's - one for a chest containing all the weapons, parts and unique ammo types and another containing all the armours. If you have MS installed too the weapon chest will also contain the sidearms. Use the command "player.placeatme" with the desired ID to spawn the container.

Beware of Supermutants! Due to animation limitations in the vanilla game if they have MF weapons they're very likely to be extremely nasty ones, ranging from shotguns with incendiary dragons breath shells through some of the world's most lethal sniper rifles to miniguns and cannons that are every bit as deadly as they should be. Don't say I didn't warn you lol. Sneak perks are your friend, and if those fail having a grenade launcher to hand may only slightly delay the oncoming loading screen.

Future plans and upcoming content:

While our first priority is to get LegacySlayer's new plug-in working with the scripts and to push this update to the Xbox users too, there are an almost surprising number of new weapons in the pipeline. Without giving anything away before it's ready, you won't be disappointed. If we get some help or figure out animation rigging ourselves then a lot of the guns animation sets are going to go from 'a bit/lot awkward' to 'spectacularly good'. The next major update is looking like it's going to be a huge leap.

Thanks to everyone for all your support so far.

We're still here! There was a long period of quiet confusion when Idlesheep first got dragged back to real life, but WhiskeyRiver's determination and hours of effort have made this version (as far as we can see) bug-free, and some new blood joining the team along with the Discord server being opened by Sanguinem Luna has brought us back together and put some focus back into the mod.

I'm pretty sure the 74 is a victim of the maths done for the mod, when attempting to balance all the parts and give clear advantages to all the options. There are modifiers set for barrel length, caliber, stock type, auto/semi, suppression etc, and a very short barrel in full auto with a light caliber and suppression can wind up with a fairly low (by the standards of these guns) damage. On the good news front those modifiers change with the switch scripts, so detaching your suppressor and switching to semi should see an increase. I'll have a look myself though, and kick it up the chain if there's something wrong, thanks.

@aloeverapack8: yeah there's some history lol. Short version, 'Sheep was given some models early on that he didn't check thoroughly enough and were found to be rips. While it's clean now and has been since about ten minutes after the rips were discovered, with the hate he got over the Nvidia modding competition he never wanted to go back to the nexus.

Apologies to anyone attempting to join our discord over the last couple of days, I've been travelling, my access to the net has been on and off and the link has changed. Here's the up to date invite link:

https://discord.gg/dsJ2cvv

My attempt to update that in the main post went awry, so apologies that the top post has gone screwy, I'll try fixing that later when I get to a pc.

Have you guys talked with the WARS mod author about some details like auto to semi fire mod switching and other stuff? I noticed from some of the screenshots from WARS thread there is some mention of fire mode selection that is not like what this mod is using. Maybe they solved the duplicate gun in the user inventory prevents switching bug?

You guys need custom animations so badly and I don't see any of the big modders signing up to help with that. The f2000 and vector and famas could all possibly be rigged to the svu mod or aug mod anims but someone has to know how to do it. The leveled lists are so screwed up that unique guns have parts from this mod guns and vanilla parts which doesn't work and looks bad. The stagger thing is horrible it doesn't work like that at all plus this is just a video game and enemy npcs are just bullet sponges like every other game so stagger could be left out or just use vanilla settings. The super fatal damage settings are crazy and break the gun/armor balance in the game. Just balance the gun damage to the vanilla guns then put damage modifiers on every gun for those weirdos that like to be tortured by video game npcs all day.

I have been wanting to ask one of you guys what happened to the m2 50cal machine gun from older versions of the mod? Don't tell me it was too overpowered after you guys put that kwk gun there lol.

Yet another dev team member here, figured I'd swing by and help out a bit since Si is incommunicado and LS is slammed with other stuff to do. I'll probably be more active than them (one benefit to not having a life >.>), so don't be surprised if you see me around here pretty often. I'll make a habit of checking this thread at least two or three times a day. Fair warning, I'm sort of known as the resident hot-head, so don't be surprised if I get a bit vitriolic or seem short-tempered.

is the download section still up?

edit: ok,found it

edit: what does Contraptions Patch do?

The Contraptions patch adds two new machines that crank out our in-house ammo types. The MF Ammo Press handles the small-arms stuff (anything smaller than 20mm), while the MF Explosives Mill handles the 'sploding stuff (20mm, 40mm, 88mm). Obviously it requires the Contraptions DLC to work, so if you don't have that DLC, don't grab that patch.

Have you guys talked with the WARS mod author about some details like auto to semi fire mod switching and other stuff? I noticed from some of the screenshots from WARS thread there is some mention of fire mode selection that is not like what this mod is using. Maybe they solved the duplicate gun in the user inventory prevents switching bug?

You guys need custom animations so badly and I don't see any of the big modders signing up to help with that. The f2000 and vector and famas could all possibly be rigged to the svu mod or aug mod anims but someone has to know how to do it. The leveled lists are so screwed up that unique guns have parts from this mod guns and vanilla parts which doesn't work and looks bad. The stagger thing is horrible it doesn't work like that at all plus this is just a video game and enemy npcs are just bullet sponges like every other game so stagger could be left out or just use vanilla settings. The super fatal damage settings are crazy and break the gun/armor balance in the game. Just balance the gun damage to the vanilla guns then put damage modifiers on every gun for those weirdos that like to be tortured by video game npcs all day.

I have been wanting to ask one of you guys what happened to the m2 50cal machine gun from older versions of the mod? Don't tell me it was too overpowered after you guys put that kwk gun there lol.

Re: reaching out to the WARS crew - We'll consider it. Haven't been following the project that closely, but if they *did* find a way around that engine issue we're definitely interested.

Re: Animations - I've been hanging out in WarDaddy's Discord lately, shot PMs to the animators that hang out there. Fingers crossed one of 'em offers to help out. Like Si said, we have permissions for just about everything we need (still waiting to hear about possible proper Kalashnikov animations), what we need is someone who knows how to rig them.

Re: Whining - You have three options. Use the various patches (I made 'em myself, I know damn well they work), "git gud", or don't use the mod - personally I recommend combining options 1 and 2.

And next time you want to suggest we do something (e.g dropping the base DPH and adding in damage modifier options), use polite language, remember to phrase it as a suggestion rather than a request (e.g start with "Would y'all consider...." rather than "You guys should...."), and don't expect anything to come of it quickly - even something as "simple" as adjusting the lens color on a reflex sight can take literally hours of work to get done right. Failure to do so will get you outright ignored. We put a lot of work into this project, the least you could do is not act childish or dickish when bringing up criticism or suggesting something you'd like to see.

Re: Vanilla uniques spawning with MF-specific bits - None of us on the dev team have been able to replicate this issue. I've tested it myself by spawning in literally hundreds of every unique weapon in the game, and I never *once* saw anything like that happening. The issue itself is so rarely reported that I'm damn near certain it's a load order problem on your end. If you haven't already, you should grab Wrye Bash and build a Bashed Patch to resolve leveled-list conflicts.

Re: The ma Deuce - Unfortunately, that was one of the illegal models we had to get rid of. Still haven't found a good replacement for it, so it won't be coming back any time soon.

So I'm having issues the hotkeys don't seem to work nor do the old magazine's for switching between attachments

Make sure you actually set the keybinds in the Hotkeys.ini. The one I included in the 2.5-1.4 package has all the right commands, but the actual binds have been removed. Also, triple-check that you don't have old versions of the scripts floating around your Data>Scripts folder, and that you don't have multiples of the same base weapon type on you, because that is guaranteed to break the scripts. That's the whole reason we added the personalized versions of the guns (you can get them via the PvM), is to work around an engine issue.

@whiskeyRiver223

When I deleted all your edits to the laser weapons leveled lists the problem went away with uniques completely so there must be something there specifically the game doesn't like. There are some story elements that have to be worked around for example touring the prydwen and watching that one initiate test a laser weapon against a knight in power armor the laser is replaced with an AK from this mod and the knight is moaning from the test shots. Should the player go there at too high a level the knight might get shot dead and it may or may not trigger some kind of odd faction aggro problem. Those specific npcs need to have their weapons set to what they should be using for those scenes instead of going off leveled lists somehow. Maybe change that npc to be a specific new npc that is disabled and replaced by the original after the player exits that cell. That is not the only example of special story elements there are others but that is the only one I can think of right now.

Re: Re whining...

I don't whine that is just you thinking of it like that, I balanced out the mod for myself just fine based on vanilla weapons stats so I don't need any patches from anywhere. Triggered much? you sound a lot like it and it really is just criticism nothing more. You can't demand users of your mod talk a certain way it just doesn't work like that and if nobody was using your mod then what was all the work for? You guys knew people would complain about uber stagger and super high damage from the beginning and if you look at the majority of the comments about this mod found from google it is people talking about how to tone down the uber settings. I'm not telling you guys to do anything you can do whatever just like anyone can say whatever. Instead of just leaving the extreme settings in there it might be better to make them scale somehow with the players level or in certain situations say a specific enemy npc was spawned along with a group of other enemy npcs so the effects are not constant but can be expected to some degree, it could be done with drugs too so a setting to make some enemy npcs take a drug after they spawn would make them capable of one shotting anything for a limited time and the player could take the same drugs and do the same thing etc.

As Whiskey says, there are patches for literally all those issues in the downloads here, a stagger remover and a choice of 25, 50, and 75% damage reduction. As we're all essentially caretakers for a mod made by Idlesheep, we're unwilling to say the least to make alterations to it that move away from his original vision for it, which is why we've instead offered a selection of tweak patches to bring it in line with as wide a variety of tastes as possible. The player level will make no difference to the poor knight soaking up ak fire, the weapons don't scale with level at all, only perks affect them.

@Codecrimson: Whiskey has pointed out the most likely fixes, refer to the installation instructions again to make sure you've correctly edited the blank hotkey ini in the download, and check for loose scripts in your data/scripts folder from old versions of MF- all the scripts in the current version are contained in the main.ba2, so any loose ones you find can safely be deleted. Either will break the switch functions, as will carrying any other weapons from the same family if your personal weapon hasn't been changed to an MF custom.

Edit: oh, and thanks Whiskey for getting my back here while I'm away from home.

Hmm ubber damage too hard lol.

I play on hard with MF and thinking it's too easy, don't play survial cos really don't have much time when playing and going back when killed seems just too much waste off time with the little gaming time I have.

You kown FO4Edit is your friend when you need stuff changed, better not too bother modders with stupid request, so they have more time fixing script animation and so on.

Keep up the good work Team always loved MF and Fallout is simply not fun without it.

Thanks for the mod siframe, I'm really enjoying it.

2 suggestions for patches.

-I'd love to see the clunky crafting system removed, so I can build mods with vanilla materials.

-Simplify the ammunition system so all weapons use vanilla ammo.

thanks for the work, its amazing.

Dont thank me lol, I only posted it, it's Idlesheep and WhiskeyRiver that deserve the thanks more than anyone for this version, but I'm glad you guys are enjoying it! As for the patches Tali, your request is noted. It's unlikely to get done quickly, but as with damage and stagger if it comes up frequently enough it'll go into the to-do list, and the patches aren't huge tasks, even if they're not as much fun as putting new guns into the mod.

Edit: looking at it again, the ammo patch might be an issue, as it would remove a fair bit of flexibility from the mod. One of the ways you can set damage to a desired level is choosing between caliber conversions for yourself. That and the gun nuts among us (all of us basically lol) would be torturing ourselves by having to make .338 lapua and .300 win sit in the generic .50 haha... .50bmg is very very different to .50beowulf too, the first being a large but super high velocity round that'll punch through all kinds of stuff even after flying for a km or two, the second basically being an unstoppable brick you can 'shoot' from an AR15, but only travels about as far as you could throw a brick lol. You begin to see the difficulty we'd have in squeezing it all into about 5 or 7 types.

Yet another dev team member here, figured I'd swing by and help out a bit since Si is incommunicado and LS is slammed with other stuff to do. I'll probably be more active than them (one benefit to not having a life >.>), so don't be surprised if you see me around here pretty often. I'll make a habit of checking this thread at least two or three times a day. Fair warning, I'm sort of known as the resident hot-head, so don't be surprised if I get a bit vitriolic or seem short-tempered.

is the download section still up?

edit: ok,found it

edit: what does Contraptions Patch do?

The Contraptions patch adds two new machines that crank out our in-house ammo types. The MF Ammo Press handles the small-arms stuff (anything smaller than 20mm), while the MF Explosives Mill handles the 'sploding stuff (20mm, 40mm, 88mm). Obviously it requires the Contraptions DLC to work, so if you don't have that DLC, don't grab that patch.

Re: reaching out to the WARS crew - We'll consider it. Haven't been following the project that closely, but if they *did* find a way around that engine issue we're definitely interested.

Re: Animations - I've been hanging out in WarDaddy's Discord lately, shot PMs to the animators that hang out there. Fingers crossed one of 'em offers to help out. Like Si said, we have permissions for just about everything we need (still waiting to hear about possible proper Kalashnikov animations), what we need is someone who knows how to rig them.

Re: Whining - You have three options. Use the various patches (I made 'em myself, I know damn well they work), "git gud", or don't use the mod - personally I recommend combining options 1 and 2.

And next time you want to suggest we do something (e.g dropping the base DPH and adding in damage modifier options), use polite language, remember to phrase it as a suggestion rather than a request (e.g start with "Would y'all consider...." rather than "You guys should...."), and don't expect anything to come of it quickly - even something as "simple" as adjusting the lens color on a reflex sight can take literally hours of work to get done right. Failure to do so will get you outright ignored. We put a lot of work into this project, the least you could do is not act childish or dickish when bringing up criticism or suggesting something you'd like to see.

Re: Vanilla uniques spawning with MF-specific bits - None of us on the dev team have been able to replicate this issue. I've tested it myself by spawning in literally hundreds of every unique weapon in the game, and I never *once* saw anything like that happening. The issue itself is so rarely reported that I'm damn near certain it's a load order problem on your end. If you haven't already, you should grab Wrye Bash and build a Bashed Patch to resolve leveled-list conflicts.

Re: The ma Deuce - Unfortunately, that was one of the illegal models we had to get rid of. Still haven't found a good replacement for it, so it won't be coming back any time soon.

So I'm having issues the hotkeys don't seem to work nor do the old magazine's for switching between attachments

Make sure you actually set the keybinds in the Hotkeys.ini. The one I included in the 2.5-1.4 package has all the right commands, but the actual binds have been removed. Also, triple-check that you don't have old versions of the scripts floating around your Data>Scripts folder, and that you don't have multiples of the same base weapon type on you, because that is guaranteed to break the scripts. That's the whole reason we added the personalized versions of the guns (you can get them via the PvM), is to work around an engine issue.

Yeah I uninstalled everything related to the old version I was using before installing the updated on and already set the the hotkeys,and I know about the multiple of the same weapons bug,but I've still got nothing.

Are you using letter keys? Make sure to use capitals in the ini if so, and that there's no space before the = sign.

Only other issues possible are that fo4hotkeys isn't installed correctly or you have a lot of other script heavy mods delaying the effect, so far as I'm aware at least. It's working for everybody provided everything's been done correctly.

Edit: which version were you using before? Did you make a clean save before updating?

One thing I have noticed with hotkeys support is that it doesn't always work right away it takes some time to get it to work going in and out of the game fiddling with files then after a while it works but that is only for the first time using the mod. After that it works every time I don't know why it does this. Something I had to do for myself to get those alternate animation receivers for guns that support them was to change the created object given by the vending machine to the alternate anim version and then I could mod that specific gun in game to use whichever receiver anim I wanted in other words there would be four receiver mods at the workbench instead of just two. I find for example an m249 dropped by a super mutant after killing him and when taken to the workbench it only shows two receivers standard and tactical but after running it through the vending machine it shows standard tactical alt standard alt tactical. This game just doesn't like this mod sometimes no matter what is done to it.