Skyrim, vorpx and modding

XcOm04au

I have recently bought a new PC....specifically so I can use VR, skyrim and modding + adult content.

Is there anything out there that shows you have how to set up the vive, vorpx and modding all together in one article?

I was hoping that someone out there has VR, Vorpx and skyrim + mods (ENB, adult content etc...) setup that can give their thoughts on their experiences playing skyrim in VR and how they got all of it to work together

I am trying to find good source material that shows me how it all fits together before I go and purchase the vive as it is $1300 AUD

I haven't played Skyrim on a Vive; however I do have a Vive and I think I can give you some advice/expectations.

tldr: I do not recommend making a financial sacrifice to play Skyrim on a Vive right now. An official Skyrim VR release is on the horizon, if you want full Vive (roomscale) support, you might have to wait for that; also, second-generation VR hardware is going to be significantly better than what we have now.

More specifically:

Vorpx compatability

I haven't used it, but as I understand, Vorpx was originally only for the Oculus Rift, which didn't, at the time, have any kind of roomscale or proper head tracking. Getting roomscale and headtracking to work appears to be a unique situation for each game, and something that hasn't yet been completely solved for Skyrim. It sounds like Vorpx works with Skyrim, in that it can display the environment in 3D, and that Skyrim is still controlled normally, with a keyboard/mouse or gamepad, not with body motion. I've played a little Doom 3 like this, and it's fun, but it's the secondmost nausea-inducing experience that I've had on the Vive, and when compared to playing on a high quality 2D monitor, I'd probably usually choose 2D.

Vive hardware

Anyone who is interested in purchasing a Vive, or any VR system, should try one before purchasing, if at all possible. Roomscale is really where the Vive shines over its competitors, and if you don't care about it, I'd recommend going with a cheaper, higher-resolution system. The resolution of the displays on the Vive is disappointing. Things are blurry. This is less noticeable in games that are specifically designed for it, like Vanishing Realms, but if you've played a game on a 1080p monitor there's almost certainly going to be a period of getting used to the low resolution. This is why I recommend to a lot of people to wait for the next-gen hardware. The technology already exists, just not in a head-tracking headset yet (as far as I know). I don't think there would be any point in running an ENB on Skyrim on a Vive.

Adult content mods

Might take a while before they're compatible with Skyrim VR, unless for some strange reason it uses the original, non-SE engine. Basically we'll be stuck with whatever works with Skyrim VR. If you can get Oldrim working on a Vive, adult content mods should work fine, though 3rd-person perspective changes might be nausea-inducing or generally unimmersive, and it's possible that modded camera control could cause problems.

Tutorial for Vive, Vorpx, Skyrim, and Adult content mods

While an all-in-one would be nice, it would be out of date as soon as it were written. Some mad philanthropist may make the effort -- this is certainly the right community for such a project -- but there's no additional information required to plug these things together... if you can find a tutorial for running Skyrim on a Vive, and a tutorial for using adult content mods with Skyrim, that's all you'd need. Personally, it's not something that I would want to undertake, because I don't think I will be able to get the experience that I would want from Skyrim out of a Vive right now.

That said, if anyone HAS found a way to get a great Skyrim experience on a Vive, sign me up.

I have alot of experience in trying to get VR to run in games, specify skyrim.

Ive Used just about everything on the market.. and even tried to play skyrim with a racing wheel once

Using headset VR; i will tell you now isn't worth it...theirs too many draw backs and the technology has a long way to come before its good.

I have tried vive, occulus and a 1080p smartphone setup.

Overall - headset VR

- Basically everything ig8 just said in the post above

- Its too costly, and for that price its not justified

- Resolution sucks

- Imput lag from looking around

- Nauseating; and im not one 

- Using a bow fucking straight up sucks

- No ENB, VR tech cant handle it

- It just sucks...

- Theres a WAY better option

Overall 3/10 , Fun to play with on once- However, i cannot recommend you spend the $ to get a headset.

However....

A much lesser known option exists...

3d Nvida vison and Track IR

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/89617/image2.jpg

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Dude.. This literally blows headset tech VR out of the water so fucking hard its amazing that it has not gained more traction in the market

Without hesitation its 1,000,000 times better.

Its so clear and gives such good depth i can only describe it as looking thru the monitor as if it was a window into the world of skyrim

- Cheaper, MUCH cheaper for BOTH input system then one VR headset

- ZERO resolution loss... Zero.. I get my 4k textures

- Works flawlessly with immersive first person

- Works flawlessly with all sexmods on this site

- 60fps with 4k textures / headtracking / 3d has nothing that is on par with it right now in the market

- You can toggle in and our of 3d and 2d vision without leaving the game, just takes 2 keystrokes ( Shift + f12 )

- Truely a next-gen experience ; its what all the game developers want but dont know how to obtain.

- Simple setup

Right now i have that setup, running across 3, 144hz screens with ENB and 4k textures and I will tell you..

this the most immersive experience i have ever had in any video game ever hands down.

Truely; there is nothing more visually stimulating short of getting into a 360degree/ Hydraulic actuated / 3d flight simulator.

10/10 experience

Period.

BUT... with that said

it does have some drawbacks.

- Since for some reason its NOT bigger in the market place; you are your own support if something goes wrong

- You NEED a badass PC to run this setup... Im talking massive amounts of ram, 1080ti, i7 , SSD and a 144hz screens that are 3d vision compatible

-      ^ Yes, you need to buy specific monitors that have this build into them. But they are badass monitors

- Cost of said PC

- Skyrim itself needs massive help to make this work properly since it was not designed with this in mind at all

- I run 3 screens... with this 3d on.. and it drops me to 35-40 fps.. Looks fucking AMAZING tho, but you cant really game the game; just explore

- Very few games right now work well with 3d vision tech

- Too much depth blurs the red/blue values and makes split images ( just a little depth is all you need, it goes a LONG way)

- Glasses and headsets on get kind of annoying.

- Tech is in its infancy ; give it sometime

- Takes TIME to setup with skyrim.... i was about 300 hrs later and 10 skyrim rebuilds till i found a good looking setup / load order that didnt lag balls.

- ^ Very very meticulous process

Overall... in the end 3d, is well.. still gimmicky... yes its badass, yes it looks amazing... but whenever i really just wana game, you wont use the 3d.

So it goes bothways.. for me, computer crap is my hobby.. so i had to make it work and it did and it was awesome as fuck. But...

if you dont have the hardware already, and dont have the sidecash to drop another 300$ on these gadgets- then id steer clear of 3d for now.

10 / 10 visual - immersion - especially if you have a 7.1 setup - and just want to FEEL in the world; and see amazing views

6 / 10  for actually gaming skyrim.. its pretty awesome but you will end up turning it off. 3d just isnt there yet.

I must admit, I dont care about roomscale, I just want to be able to look at skyrim in 3d.

Pimax might be what I am looking for. I want something now but I might wait...

P.S I got GTX 1080 ti for VR...sad I might have to wait though :(

I have recently bought a new PC....specifically so I can use VR, skyrim and modding + adult content.

Is there anything out there that shows you have how to set up the vive, vorpx and modding all together in one article?

I was hoping that someone out there has VR, Vorpx and skyrim + mods (ENB, adult content etc...) setup that can give their thoughts on their experiences playing skyrim in VR and how they got all of it to work together

I am trying to find good source material that shows me how it all fits together before I go and purchase the vive as it is $1300 AUD

I have written a tutorial and some explanations in this thread. I think it will answer almost all your question, if there is something else you want to know just ask :-)

As a Vive owner I completely disagree what others have said here. Also - I see little point in waiting. There will not be a gen 2 headset soon and every day you wait is just a day where you deprive yourself from some amazing experiences. 

And despite been a Vive owner I have no problems pointing out that the Rift is selling at a really low price now and I think it makes it a god choice if you are not 100% sure you want to get in VR now. (For me personally - if I was buying a headset today I would have still chosen the Vive, but this is a totally different discussion.)

90% of my VR consumption is Skyrim with VorpX, planning to start FO4 once the 4play mods stabilize. People who complain about Skyrim with VorpX haven't tried it (correctly) this year. There was an update for VorpX at the last day of 2016 that introduced DirectVR. It removes the problems with the tracking lag, the scale and so on. Or they haven't enabled the resolution upscale and were playing using the very low default resolution VorpX is setting.

It is actually extremely immersive. Sometimes I spend quite a long time just sitting next to a campfire next to my followers, looking at the mountains, the sky and the moons listening to the music and the sounds.

I use MO and the only mods I had to disable for VR were some HD texture replacers. I do believe that well modded Skyrim with all the good replacers is the best adult experience in VR at the moment. Also I find the gane fully playable in full VR - I'm actually doing a full playthru now which is going pretty slow as I insist on banging everybody around :-)

What is your CPU? The performance of Skyrim depends mostly on it.

Vorpx compatability

I haven't used it, but as I understand, Vorpx was originally only for the Oculus Rift, which didn't, at the time, have any kind of roomscale or proper head tracking. Getting roomscale and headtracking to work appears to be a unique situation for each game, and something that hasn't yet been completely solved for Skyrim. It sounds like Vorpx works with Skyrim, in that it can display the environment in 3D, and that Skyrim is still controlled normally, with a keyboard/mouse or gamepad, not with body motion. I've played a little Doom 3 like this, and it's fun, but it's the secondmost nausea-inducing experience that I've had on the Vive, and when compared to playing on a high quality 2D monitor, I'd probably usually choose 2D.

VorpX has "room scale" at a headset level - it has rotation and position tracking. You can peak around corners, move closer or lean over things to look at them closely and so on.

It doesn't have controller room-scale - as in you actually controlling the hands of your character. It does support using controllers as input instead of kb/mouse, but it is simply re-mapping the buttons. So pressing the trigger on the controller still triggers the normal attack animation. What you can do is mimic it and swing your actual hands while pressing the trigger. I do believe it is possible right now to make a mod that would allow to map the hands to the controllers in real time and get rid of the animations providing a full room-scale experience, but I'm not knowledgeable/clever enough to do it. Also as a couch-potato gamer I'm not too interested in playing long games in full room scale.

The motion sickness is not a Skyrim/VorpX related problem. I think it will slowly become a non-issue with people getting their "VR legs".

The resolution of the displays on the Vive is disappointing. Things are blurry.

Hmm. It is not 4K but it is not that bad... Yes, there is SDE and you need to consider the sweet spot, but "everything is blurry"... Did you tweak the IPD? Or maybe there is some other problem.

About SkyrimVR.... Apparently the PC version is at least an year in the future so it makes no sense to even consider it at the moment. Also, this is a question of personal opinion, but I have only bad things in my mind when thinking about it. For me the quality VR experience of Skyrim will be Oldrim via a VR driver (like VorpX) for at least 3-4 years more.

[ ... ]

NVIDIA 3DTV Play is a very bad solution as you need to decide between 1280x720 at 60 Hz or 1920x1080 at 24 Hz. Neither is acceptable for gaming nowadays. Tridef is the better solution as it allows 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

However none of this is VR. Playing a game in VR and on a screen are two very different things. Very, very different.

I do all my "flat" gaming on a 3D TV with Tridef and it works very well - Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3/NV/4, ME1/2/3, DAI, Witcher 1/2/3, Dishonored... The only game I have tried that has a problem is DAO and it is not that bad. It is not gimmicky at all, it is actually quite good. 

Setting up VorpX and Skyrim takes no more than 5 minutes and there is no input lag. And setting the resolution to 1920×1440 gives quite good result.

I have heard its very blurry experience, would you say that its like looking at your monitor but in 3d?

People come with different head sizes and shapes, the most important for the VR headsets been the IPD (Interpupillary distance) It is the "distance between the center of the pupils of the two eyes". Many people neglect to set it up and suffer blurry experiences. Another reason can be improperly wearing the headset.

If you set it correctly you should be able to see clearly in front of you and it will gradually get blurrier as it goes to the sides. The view in front of you should not be blurry at all. 

It is 3D. I do believe there is a big difference between looking at the game on a screen, even if it is a big 3D screen and been in the game yourself (full VR). The games on the screen try to give you "immersion", the games in VR try to give you a feeling of "presence". Or in case of Skyrim and SexLab - there is a difference between watching people banging on a screen and watching them right next to you. So yes - it is 3D but it is more than just that.

However I need to say your enjoyment in VR right now will depend on if you are a glass half full or a glass half empty person. There are some great and mind-blowing things but there are also problems and annoyances. 

VorpX [...] doesn't have controller room-scale - as in you actually controlling the hands of your character.

The motion sickness is not a Skyrim/VorpX related problem. I think it will slowly become a non-issue with people getting their "VR legs".

>The resolution of the displays on the Vive is disappointing. Things are blurry.

Hmm. It is not 4K but it is not that bad... Yes, there is SDE and you need to consider the sweet spot, but "everything is blurry"... Did you tweak the IPD? Or maybe there is some other problem.

I'm glad to hear that you've been having success (and headtracking!) playing Skyrim on a Vive... I didn't see your post back in February. I may try to get it working -- though I suspect that it will take *me* a lot more than 5 minutes to set up Vorpx and Skyrim -- but the lack of Vive controller support is a big downside for me; shooting a bow with both hands and swinging a sword (a la Vanishing Realms, and many other Vive games) has ruined me for VR games with less physicality. That's the ONE thing that SkyrimVR has going for it: I've heard that it does have controller support.

By "disappointing," I mean that I was initially disappointed with graphics quality, because I had unrealistic expectations -- I naively assumed that the games that I had played that convinced me to buy a Vive were just low-res. And by "blurry" I really mean "lower resolution than I'm used to." I got a beefy graphics card a few weeks before my Vive and have often since looked at my monitor (which is *not* 4k) and said to myself "damn, that looks so freakin' great." Then, when I got my Vive, I went to play movies on it: not impressed. When playing games: text is not easy to read unless it is centered (as you said) and nearby. I know about setting the IPD and supersampling; it helps, but experiences that I can have on my monitor are always going to be crisper than on the Vive. I think this is a realistic expectation for any new potential customer to have. The Vive shines in its immersion, and your description of sitting around a fire looking at your followers sounds really neat. Immersion, and not graphical quality, is what I think makes the Vive worth purchasing.

As for VR legs... one of my friends recently published his first VR game on Steam, and playing prototypes throughout the development process made it VERY clear that a developer's choices for controls and camera movement can induce -- and reduce -- nausea. It's not always just something to push through and get accustomed to. I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem with Skyrim. I thought that it might be a concern (like my experiences with an imperfectly-tweaked Doom 3) simply because it's not native.

As for VR legs... one of my friends recently published his first VR game on Steam, and playing prototypes throughout the development process made it VERY clear that a developer's choices for controls and camera movement can induce -- and reduce -- nausea. It's not always just something to push through and get accustomed to. I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem with Skyrim. I thought that it might be a concern (like my experiences with an imperfectly-tweaked Doom 3) simply because it's not native.

Oh, it can be a problem with VorpX. It is probably the worst case of motion sickness because of the classic locomotion used in the flat games. What I mean was that the problem is not specific to VorpX and is a general problem for VR.

In the first several days I couldn't last for more than 5 minutes in Skyrim and then I was having headaches for hours.You definitely need your VR legs for VorpX. But I do not believe the motion sickness that some people experience can be a reason to dismiss games and experiences. 

but the lack of Vive controller support is a big downside for me;

No handtracking definitely lowers the feeling of presence while actually playing. I guess this is the reason why enjoy so much sitting while in Skyrim :-)

However every game/experience has something that does. Vanishing Realms for example looks too cartoonist for me and while I enjoy it I'm far for feeling I'm actually there. Even Lone Echo - probably the most "real" VR experience has small glitches and strange game design choices that take you out. I'm personally fine with both sitting with kb/mouse and full room-scale options. What I'm personally not fine with is teleportation and for now this is the only confirmed locomotion for the vanilla VR port.

What Skyrim has as an advantage is that it is the same world that I have watched for hundreds (550 at the time) of hours on the screen. The feeling "I'm finally really here" was giving me goosebumps for quite some time at the start.

Setting it up is really fast:

1. Run the optimization in VorpX config

2. When in the game press Del to open the menu, find the Internal resolution upscale and set it to 2. 

3. When in the game press Dell and start the DirectVR scan. 

That's it. 

If you use MO you'll need to copy the ini files from MyDocuments to the MO's ini editor. 

Used my DK2 with Skyrim for a while, have a CV1 now and will probably go back to it.

Set up properly a modded adult Skyrim is as good as and if not better than any of the current VR porn games, including Honey Select and other top end ones. IMO of course.

I used it with ENB and a ton of mods.

If you want realistic looking women use Demonica, HDT is a must too. I also highly recommend using the First person third person mode that enables your body while in first person, Then equip a helmet that makes your head invisible if you want the full first person experience.

I made the mistake of putting too much 4K mods in, not so great in VR as it wrecks the performance but I mostly gamed with my monitor at the time.

Keep it lite on texture mods.

Also disable SSAO in VR as it is a performance killer as well.

I have played up to 18hrs solid in VR Skyrim before, some folk cannot handle it, some can. Other games can make me puke in about 30 seconds though, maybe just having spent over 1000 hrs in Skyrim already had made me immune.

Going to have to get Skyrim up and running again, whole game folder was backed up but I had a mod crash at the time and will have to find it and sort it out.

Sure it is Soft Body physics versus SKSE version.

Looking forward to the official VR version although it appears it is invisible body with Rayman hands like most VR games currently, not much use for Sexlab.

I hope we can mod it too.

I'm a big advocate for VR and I've played with it using my Vive and DK2 at various points. I found the game itself unwieldy to play that way for any kind of serious progress. However doing stuff with SexLab and/or OSex plus Immersive First Person proved a great time that was usually worthwhile the effort it required to get working.

I'd do it more often if it wasn't a huge hassle to get my heavily modded saves to load while using VorpX. I'd usually have to do an hour of setup to get the right settings and a mix of mods that'd let the game work well with VorpX, while still including everything I'd want to do with it. Getting it working with SKSE was the first hassle, but easily resolved after some fiddling. Getting it working with ENB then is the biggest issue I think, as you have to switch ENB methods and change various settings to get it working smoothly - you could skip the ENB sure, but if you're trying to immersive yourself, I feel improved lighting and such is a huge plus.

I'm sure I could more easily streamline it with MO and ENB profiles to get into Skyrim VR quick and easy though. Which I probably should, as I'd happily play with it more often then.

Don't expect a technical novice friendly experience with VorpX + Skyrim (and others) however, the game(s) weren't meant for VR, and it shows considering how much effort it can take to get working well compared to native VR stuff. But I'd rank SexLab as one of the best adult gaming VR experiences I've tried thus far. Though I'm obviously biased here. 

[ ... ]

With the addition of DirectVR in the latest versions it is really easy to setup and works way better than before. It is actually more friendly to novice users than to tweakers because the DirectVR provides a really good experience out of the box. And it is actually playable with DirectVR on. There is no tracking lag and if you can keep a good framerate it is quite immersive. I'm currently 50 hours in a VR only playthru. I only switch to EdgePeak when selling and buying. But using the sleeping mask mod for the Vive or a 6mm vr cover helps because it makes the sweet spot bigger.

I was lucky enough to have my SKSE+ENBBost+MO setup run the first time I tried and never had a problem with it, but it did help that I was already using the Injector version for the ENB because of Tridef. People say that the wrapper version works now also, but I haven't tried it myself.

In my experience the problem with the ENB presets is the fps hit. I insist on running it in "real" 3D (in Geometry mode) at 1920×1440 and with all the mods my framerate drops to 20 - 25 outside, even lower in cities. I tried some presets and while nice to look at it was impossible to move around. 

The biggest problem that exists now is that the first person mods and the animation based mods do not work well with DirectVR. And I'm really not sure if there is something that can be done on the modding side to fix that. A new version of VorpX is expected soon, maybe it will fix some of the issues.

P.S. Now everybody please excuse me while I give myself a congratulatory pat on the back as this is my 1k post here  :)

[ ... ]

With the addition of DirectVR in the latest versions it is really easy to setup and works way better than before. It is actually more friendly to novice users than to tweakers because the DirectVR provides a really good experience out of the box. And it is actually playable with DirectVR on. There is no tracking lag and if you can keep a good framerate it is quite immersive. I'm currently 50 hours in a VR only playthru. I only switch to EdgePeak when selling and buying. But using the sleeping mask mod for the Vive or a 6mm vr cover helps because it makes the sweet spot bigger.

I was lucky enough to have my SKSE+ENBBost+MO setup run the first time I tried and never had a problem with it, but it did help that I was already using the Injector version for the ENB because of Tridef. People say that the wrapper version works now also, but I haven't tried it myself.

In my experience the problem with the ENB presets is the fps hit. I insist on running it in "real" 3D (in Geometry mode) at 1920×1440 and with all the mods my framerate drops to 20 - 25 outside, even lower in cities. I tried some presets and while nice to look at it was impossible to move around. 

The biggest problem that exists now is that the first person mods and the animation based mods do not work well with DirectVR. And I'm really not sure if there is something that can be done on the modding side to fix that. A new version of VorpX is expected soon, maybe it will fix some of the issues.

P.S. Now everybody please excuse me while I give myself a congratulatory pat on the back as this is my 1k post here  :)

Been awhile, but I think last time I tried it out was specifically because of DirectVR. Still had an issue with ENB then, had to swap out for the injector version instead, which came with some other problems for me. If I remember correctly anyway.

If going for an extended amount of time, FPS can be a real killer when it comes to nausea. I didn't have much of an issue in 20-30 minutes chunks at 30-50 FPS using every graphic mod I could leave enabled.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, vorpx does not load these d3d9.dll file correct? I mean it will conflict with it while starting Skyrim.

But well without it Skyrim works great, 60 fps 1280x1024 on my Fury X, just the VR Googles can't get a better resolution! aww :o

So, is there a way to start vorpx with this d3d9.dll and or even d3d10.dll?

Khajiit wantz play with ENB! :o(

Khajiit wantz play with ENB! :o(

The injector version of the ENB works. 

Which headset are you using? 

im using DeePoon, works as Occulus DK2. It uses the Occulus Software to start vorpx + Skyrim.

And my USB 5.1 headset i use with it.

So incetor? Okay let me try it then,

thanks!

Archived