I want to modify/add to the skinning of the face mesh using 3ds; is this currently possible?

I've read around a bit and found various ways to import and export meshes from 3ds, but generally it seems to involve swiping the skin from the vanilla version of the mesh being worked on and various other corrections after export, via Nifskope.

Since I not only want to modify the existing skinning, but also add bones if possible, it doesn't seem like this sort of workflow would work.

So, is it currently possible to import the face and facial skeleton, modify them, and export them properly in one fell swoop? If so, which version of Max and the Nif import/export plugin do I need? Despite apparently importing fine, the unofficial 3.8.0 plugin doesn't appear to export correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say it isn't possible as of yet. There doesn't exist facial bones and in-game expressions as well as changes to the face are saved through the tri morphs.

I do know that for New Vegas, editing trimorphs (file extension .tri) was possible with a plugin for Blender. But for Fallout 4 I have no clue

I do think there is facial bones in FO4 but expressions and many changes to face (like talking) come from tri morphs alone.

I do not know if editing the bones is possible. Also I am interested of how you plan to move the added bones ingame once you added them.

Archived