Nice Devious Devices - they don't lock on

Hiya there.

...and the latest problem I have discovered since rebuilding my game is that Devious Devices don't seem to work correctly.

They spawn ok, but I can just take them off - they don't seem to be locking on correctly.

I've tried a new game as well, which seems to have the same issue. Which confuses me slightly.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Is there a 'reset' option for them somewhere that I can try?

Papyrus log of me triggering some DCL traps and just removing the items attached. I think I turned the right logging options on :angel:

Papyrus.0.log

The only thing i've noticed is that you heve several merged patches in your load order, i don't have much experience with those... are you sure none of them messes with DD? As far as i can tell you have all requirements and mods, so it's nothing obvious and you have to look for less obvious things. 

The only thing i've noticed is that you heve several merged patches in your load order, i don't have much experience with those... are you sure none of them messes with DD? As far as i can tell you have all requirements and mods, so it's nothing obvious and you have to look for less obvious things. 

Yeah. Maxed out my .esm's a while back. It's funny, when i started messing around with mods I'd see these people with 200+ mod lists and think "how?!" & "Why?"...and now, here I am trying to make my game work with 300+! Been a lot of learning experience, and still a lot left to learn...and still fighting to keep the game working/stable. :dodgy:

None of the merges should touch on the Devious Devices - I've so far avoided merging things like quest / gameplay mods because I don't want to break them. Most of the DD mods fall into this category.

The main merges are: a) two graphics ones - one for landscape/scenery, one for everything else and B) bundling all the NPC replacers together. All three are done as much to help with conflict management as to pull .esps out of the load order (all of the many conflicts in these mods should be resolved by the patch, rather than the game engine assuming I'm understanding the merging process correctly).

The remaining merges are 'simple' stuff like bundling related patches together or lumping a whole load of 'here is some cool pants'.

I've added the load order as well as the plugins file this time, which should contain the disabled .esps that have been merged as well. Not all the disabled .esps have been merged of course - some of them have just been disabled because they are dummies for the .bsa archive or because they are Steam native quest mods I want to have available but not play right now.

I'd really like to get to grips with the DD issue tho as the game is nothing like as fun without the omnipresent tension from Cursed Loot that things can go horribly wrong at any moment.  :cool:  So any ideas or suggestions people might have would be great.

I'm guessing it's an install issue of some kind. I don't think they have ever worked since I rebuilt the game.

loadorder.txt

plugins.txt

Like mentioned, it's nothing obvious. Load order should be fine. If you use MO you can make another profile, disable the merged patches, start a new game and see what happens. If it's still wrong you're sure if it's related. MO will also tell you if something overwrites scripts from DDi. I have no clue about NMM, but new games are mandatory for testing in any case, don't use any save.

Did you try to reinstall DDi? Maybe something went wrong during installation, or maybe while downloading.

Oh, yes. That might indeed be a point. Sometimes stable games that don't crash and force you to reload are the problem, not the solution. wink.png

Not entirely sure about DD, but several mods need you to load a save before entirely working.

DD is one of those mods that needs a load.

Sadly, testing on a new game isn't always that easy. I've got a LOT of mods these days, which involves a massive MCM config list all of which have to be reconfigured. Getting a new game to behave the same way as a current one is a two hour+ process and there is still probably a 75% chance I will have missed something in one of the MCM setups.

But I have found the culprit. It wasn't a setup issue, but a mod conflict.

In testing with a new game, I noticed that the devices were not being shown on dovakin either - they were showing as equipped, but not modeled and I could just remove them immediately.

I then remembered a recent bug fix patch I had downloaded off the nexus recently - Equipitem fix:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/85251/?

...which changes the process by which items are equipped. I should probably have thought to actively test it with Devices when I added it, but it went in cleanly and I didn't think anything more about it.

I removed it and Devious Devices work nicely now.

Thank you for the support and the advice - it really does help.

Archived