Power supply question

Fixadent

Is it absolutely necessary to go with a 1,000W power supply for the following build?

Can I get away with a high quality 860W like the Corsair AX860?

*Core i7 7700K

*16GB DDR4

*ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 motherboard

*2-way SLI GTX 1080 8GB ASUS STRIX/RoG series

If you want to be 100% sure, find out the individual power requirements of your components.  The power they need should be a minimum of 10% less that the rating of your power supply.

The main reason for having a power supply rated at 1000w is that you may want to add components to your computer or even run other components like chargers ETC from your computer.  I personally have several USB expansion ports and run several robotic devices from the power supplied from my computer. 

In short if you do not plan to run external units from your computer, and you do not  plan to expand your components ( digital hard drives etc. ) then the 800 watts will probably do.

If however, you find your system glitching, running hot, or crashing your games when running heavy graphic games , then upgrade to a more robust power supply.

Your power supply is more than adequate. But I'd recommend going with a single 1080ti instead of two 1080s in SLI - you'll save a lot of money and a lot of games don't have good SLI scaling or have none. The 1080ti has 50% better performance than the 1080, and you can be guaranteed to successfully get the full power in any scenario.

Some things to notice :

A power supply works less efficient at small loads.

The Power of 1000w is Peak, the PSU can handle this power only for a very short time.

The "full time" power is about 20-30% less than that.

The TDP is the maximum heat power of a component, you can´t tell the electrical power consumption with only having the TDP.

Some things to notice :

The Power of 1000w is Peak, the PSU can handle this power only for a very short time.

The TDP is the maximum heat power of a component, you can´t tell the electrical power consumption with only having the TDP.

Is 860W enough for the specs I listed?

Some things to notice :

That's true in the old days but probably less relevant today. 

In the past el-cheapo 1000w rated PSU is not going to get you the same stability of a top Seasonic 750w (75% of 1000w) or even a 600w one but platinum rated PSU do come close to deliver as labeling, before accounting for aging.  Good brands will still age more gracefully.

TDP may not be accurate but it's the best reference we have.  All credible review sites nowadays list TDP under spec, idle and load.  The load TDP for GPU can be as much as 40% above spec and in the old days when we said get a PSU at least 30% more than TDP is because all we had were spec TDP.  That was when quality brands made their name because their PSU were true to "spec", i.e. was built to sustain the jump in power under load. 

To OP, that Corasair 860w model you ordered is a fine make and has plenty left for your setup even under load. 

Archived