Sifting Through These MMO's

Molevalence

I have had my knee operation about a week ago and recovery will take time. Call this a good or ill fortune but once again I will have a lot of time to myself during recovery. During this time I have entered a so called "Gamers Drought". I have played many games in my lifetime and many MMO's (WoW, Aion, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR and ESO to name a few) some were a great experience while others left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Lately Ive been taking a break from MMO's entirely, but I would like to try one out. One I have not played before. My mindset is if I do go back and commit to a MMO I will try to commit to it entirely. Similar to my 10 years of WoW. My first sight was FF14 but I wanted the opinion of anyone from this community that has played it. It requires a subscription and I just want to hear the opinion of someone who has experienced the game. I just want to make sure I dont jump into a game and it turns out to be a "WoW clone."

I played the game in my ps3/4 before the last expansion. I liked the crafting system and found a guild where I could play a dedicated crafter switching between crafter classes and wearing only that equipment I made.

I found combat fun and engaging even when I was only there to farm cobwebs. And I particulary liked the class changing system even when having only one character I could try all classes if not all specialities.

Final Fantasy XIV is MUCH different then WoW, and personally I prefer it.

Though unlike WoW, the dungeons are 100% dependent on a "Duty Finder" of sorts, so no longer can you run into the dungeon itself and jump through a portal of sorts into the instance.

Also everything is more segmented in the world, aka theres no giant boats to ride on to reach the other continent, and 99% of people simply teleport everywhere.

All in all, its a lot less "fill your screen with hotbars n shit in your face" then games like WoW, and thats both a blessing and curse.

Thank you both for your input. I decided to give the game a try and was instantly hit with deja vu from all my experiences with the past FF games. From what I have seen so far it's different enough to keep my attention while everything else I have seen has piqued my curiosity. Also at the beginning cinematic where it shows Bahamut first thing came to mind was raid boss. The cherry on the sundae is my character. She's so cute it makes you want to vomit rainbows. lol

FFXIV is great! Because it's a MMORPG for the modern times. 

There's content for hardcore players, but casual players will find the most progression playing every so often. Past content is "sped up" for new players to catch up to older players, although there is also a higher skill ceiling, which is arguably more important than having better equipment, which means old time players will always make better combat decisions than newbie characters. 

I like their regular updates every 3 months or so, but above that I love their role system which really feels like a Final Fantasy title. I've played every single role and found different challenges for every one of them, which is fantastic - there's a ton of replayability if you know where to find it. 

Wish I had time to go back. I made great friends and had great times. 

Archived