Clarification on side effects of "killable children" type mods?

Hyperlust

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a long time but this is my first post, so apologies if it's in the wrong section. Also, I did do a search first but nothing jumped out at me as a definitive answer to this specific question regarding these mods.

I'm using S.T.E.P. which includes Non-Essential Children and I'm considering replacing it with Immersive Children. I read somewhere in these forums (ages ago, so I'm not totally clear on it) that any mod that alters children by removing the "child flag" or whatever, has the unintended consequences of making the kids "visible" to sex mods. Of course I REALLY want to avoid that in my game.

So far, I've been using SexLab and SexLab Aroused Redux (and the mod that adds the arousal tracking widget) and kids are being excluded just fine, not showing up in the widget, etc. So, Non-Essential Children seems to be safe. However I'm not using any mods that make NPCs have sex on their own because I'm concerned about kids being "picked up" since they're no longer essential and IIRC that makes the game count them as "adults?" Plus, I've been strongly considering replacing Non-Essential Children with Immersive Children because it just seems overall to be a better mod and doesn't stop them from using furniture/animations they can normally use. But I don't know how these mods work and I am afraid of accidentally seeing pedo sex in my game.

Can someone with the technical knowledge please help me out here and tell me if the two children mods that I linked (especially Immersive Children which I want to switch to) are "safe" to use in a load order with SexLab mods? Or, if I just have to avoid certain SexLab mods that might "pick up" the altered children?

I appreciate your time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both very much for your responses (and sorry for my delayed reply here). I don't specifically want children to be killable, I just like some of the things Immersive Children does to make the kids a little more real. I'm not planning on using Deviously Cursed Loot so I guess I will be fine.

Don't know immersive children, but it's probably fine. Don't see why a mod that changes the AI of children should remove their flags. I'd say try it, but keep a save before installing it. If sexlab stops working you know i was wrong. ;)

Just make sure you really load (and continue from) that save before you added the mod in case you uninstall it, uninstalling a mod that messes with AIs and is already baked to your save is... you don't want to do that. ;)

Don't see why a mod that changes the AI of children should remove their flags.

because mods like "killable children" need to remove the child flag to make them killable, or to make it so they can fight.

I can see that, but he mentioned that Non-essential children works with sexlab (or that is what i understood) and is worried if it still works if he replaces that with another mod (immersive children) that additionally changes the AI. And i don't see why this replacement should be a problem. ;)

But i don't know either of them, or the methods they use.

Looking at the Immersive Children mod page the first feature listed is "Removes the child flag from child races". 

So doesn't that then make the mod a no-no for sexlab?

No, because Sexlab has additional safeguards in place to to prevent it interacting with children even if the child flag is removed, Some other mods may have issues stemming from the child flag being removed <deviously cursed loot for example> but the framework itself will not be effected by just the removal of the child flag, still will not allow interaction with child npcs, still allow interaction between adult npcs.

Looking at the Immersive Children mod page the first feature listed is "Removes the child flag from child races". 

So doesn't that then make the mod a no-no for sexlab?

No, because Sexlab has additional safeguards in place to to prevent it interacting with children even if the child flag is removed, Some other mods may have issues stemming from the child flag being removed <deviously cursed loot for example> but the framework itself will not be effected by just the removal of the child flag, still will not allow interaction with child npcs, still allow interaction between adult npcs.

Excellent, thank you. I'll remember to keep an eye out when I look at SexLab mods to see if they mention this type of issue. My game leans toward the non-kinky side so I guess most of the mods I want to use will be all right.

Sexlab itself will prevent any sex acts with children from occurring HOWEVER many mods use the CHILD flag to determine whether to allow sexual conversations and or situations and those mods may allow you to attempt a sex act with a child NPC though it will still be prevented by the Sexlab framework.

If you use a mod that turns off the child flags then you accept the consequences, do not complain to any of the mod authors.

Archived