General Oblivion Modding Question

Hello. I won't sugarcoat things: I'm a PC virgin. I've been console gaming all my life, and I recently got a great gaming setup, mostly because I want to try games I've played on console with mods (adult and non-adult alike). I've been to the nexus mods, and well....

I am not one to try to start "mess" between different communities, but let's just say a lot of the so-called readme and tutorials there are anything but user friendly, and no one over there really seems to be in the mood to help. It isn't "self-explanatory" by any means, and it would be awesome if someone was just able to answer a few simple questions to a person who is self-admittedly very dumb and new when it comes to this sort of thing.

For example, where in blazes do I install the mods? Some people say "create a 'mods' folder" some people say "use a mod manager" and those people are giving me three or four different managers, some of which aren't compatible with each other, but they assure the reader they're all very necessary.

All I wanted to do was install better bodies mod, the Character Overhaul. First, they tell you to download the OBSE, okay, which I did. Then they tell you to download Blockheads. And the instructions for Blockheads are nonexistent. I download the file, unzip it, and now what? Where does it go? It doesn't show up on my mods manager (I got the Nexus Mods Manager because it seemed easiest). 

There's just this assumption that people modding already know how to mod, where to put files, and it's all easy-peasy for everyone. There's no "Modding for Idiots" guide out there. There should be, because I'm sure there are people like me coming from console to PC all the time. 

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm just a little frustrated. I've literally been at this for hours and have gotten absolutely nowhere.

Ok,

This "may" seem a bit harsh, but that is not at all my intention.  Rather, I'm trying to get across the point of thoroughly reading EVERYTHING in the read me files that come with a mod.  

So to your first question:

How to install mods:  This is a multipart answer unfortunately.  It will depend on if you are using a mod manager and which one you are using.  It is recommended that you at the very least use either TESMM or Wyre Bash.

TESMM:  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5010/?

Wyre Bash 295.5:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/oblivionworks/files/Wrye%20Bash/Wrye%20Bash%20295.5/

(note:  this is NOT the latest version of Wyre Bash, however it is the best one to use in my humble opinion as the later versions were geared for Skyrim and broke some of the oblivion features).

Wyre Bash pictorial guide:  http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35230/?

As to installing OBSE.....the readme for that does tell you explicitly how to install it....and since you made no comment there, I'll assume you have that one done.

Installing blockhead..........well........time for tough love here.....the readme is quite clear how to install it and where:

Install
====
1. Extract this archive to any folder and then copy the contents to Oblivion's Data folder. Delete the plugin’s INI when upgrading to a new version.
2. Launch the game with the OBSE launcher.

And no, it won't show up with the crappy nexus mod manager.  You can use NMM, but understand that almost no one here will because it sucks, so you won't get a ton of help in using it.  OBSE, blockhead and similar utility mods require manual installation.

As to tutorials, they are out there.  Some are better than others, but none of them are going to address every possible question.  There are literally hundreds of thousands of mods that can be found.  Writing a tutorial to use all of them would take several lifetimes.  Modding games is not something that will ever be easy.  It will never be fast.  It will require work, research and reading a metric ton of readme's.  Google searches can also be your friend as there are also videos on how to do things.

If you get really stuck, ask your questions and we will try to help.

Cheers,

Greg

Archived