Trying to Understand Blockhead

Sorry, I'm becoming confused on Blockhead's texture overriding. Ā Apparently, HeadAssetOverrides doesn't work unless there's no texture assigned to the race/NPC in question... so I'm really not understanding how one would override the textures for a race that doesn't have a unique path, like the Redguards or the Bretons...

Ā 

I mean, it makes sense that overriding the Imperial race's textures is a simple matter of naming the textures correctly in Textures/Characters/Imperial, but the other human races all use the Imperial race's textures as a base and don't have their own, so AFAIK you can't override them in the same way... but my experimenting with HeadAssetOverrides according to the manual did nothing. Ā So I'm somewhat confused here.

Ā 

Anyone with experience in Blockhead wanna help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

In the folders Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Ā  or M you put the head textures you want to use.

Ā 

Ā 

If you have a english Oblivion. ( with a german Oblivion you must change Redguard to Rothwardone. You use the race name not the ID name )

Female Redguard

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_Head.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_Head_n.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_EarsFemale.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_EarsFemale_n.dds

body if you use HGEC textures

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_foot.dds

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_foot_n.dds

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_hand.dds

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Redguard_hand_n.dds

Ā 

Male Redguard

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_Head.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_Head_n.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_EarsMale.dds

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_EarsMale_n.dds

body if you use Roberts Male

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_foot.dds

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\Redguard_foot_n.dds

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

All Imperial and Breton will still use the textures in Textures\Characters\Imperial ( Blockhead does not overwrite textures in your folders, you add new folders )

Ā 

Edit: I hope that's right, yesterday I found out how to use Blockhead.

Yeah, the problem I'm having is that it works for some races, but not others. Ā Redguard, Dark Elf and Orc seem to be fine, but Breton and Nord don't work using HeadAssetOverrides. Ā I'm thinking it has something to do with this in the manual:

Ā 

Head: Head part asset overrides work differently. Since all head part related paths are defined, by default, at the Race level, overrides are only used to support gender variance. The override file paths are automatically derived from the originals defined in the Race record.

Ā 

AFAICS, the reason that the three I mentioned are working is because they all have Textures/Characters/(Race name here) sections, and I placed the textures there as well as in Head/BodyAssetOverrides, whereas the others only have the textures in Head/BodyAssetOverrides...

Ā 

I actually did try overriding the textures and meshes manually using TES4Edit to give each race their own folder, but that also only worked depending on the race. Ā Redguard, Breton and Nord were fine, but High Elf and Wood Elf both broke when given their own folders. Ā I'm thinking about trying it again, only using the Construction Editor this time...

?

Why should

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Nord_Head.dds

or

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\Breton_Head.dds

don't work ?

Ā 

I use a Mod race and it works fine.

Ā 

Head/BodyAssetOverridesĀ  ?? no

Textures\Characters\HeadAssetOverridesĀ  then PerRace and a F or a M folder and the texture with the right name.

Or

Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\FĀ Ā  or Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\M

You can not skip folders!!! You always must have all 5 folders ( or 6 folders if you count the data folder : data\Textures\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\MĀ Ā  )

Ā 

-------------------

And textures per race with TES4Edit or CS is no problem ( but male and female will use the same texture ) Only ears and body you can set for females and males.

Archived