Current state of SSE

Zydar

So after reading all of this, the question is where to get Oldrim. It's no longer available on Steam (or else I'm just blind). Other than getting a disc drive (my laptop doesn't have a disc drive) and getting a used version of Oldrim and installing it the old-fashioned way, how does one get hands on Skyrim Classic?

So after reading all of this, the question is where to get Oldrim. It's no longer available on Steam (or else I'm just blind). Other than getting a disc drive (my laptop doesn't have a disc drive) and getting a used version of Oldrim and installing it the old-fashioned way, how does one get hands on Skyrim Classic?

It seems like you can still buy it from key sellers like greenmangaming, if you feel like using one.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/

You can also buy boxed and digital editions of the game from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=skyrim+legendary+edition+pc&sprefix=skyrim+lege%2Cvideogames%2C208&crid=HSDC2FQI6Q71

heyguys i'm trying to transition to sse and i might just play both of them but right now something seems odd, everyone keeps talking about how you can mod sse even more since it's a better engine and better performing but if i install some texture packs i get stuttering, like turning my camera and the stuttering happens, this happened to me in oldrim too if i installed too many textures that were high res or ultra hd.

i have a 980 ti on windows 10 and an i5 4690k, for example, if i install smim, weather and lighting, noble skyrim and enb, plus the enb elfx smim patch i still get the same drop i got in oldrim in riverwood, doesn't seem to be performing any better besides not crashing. i haven't had a single crash which is really nice. i'd like to hear from other people experiences on their setups because sounds like you guys have a ton of mods installed, more than me. do you guys use a bunch of textures?

I noticed it uses a lot more memory if msi afterburner is realiable, I read that the textures are 2k and 4k in sse and I don't install anything higher than that.

I haven't touch either Skyrim or Skyrim SSE in a while, but what I do know is that its much more stabler than it can have a lot more NPCs on screen than Oldrim. I have never tried playing with any script intensive mod list, not like you can without SKSE64 anyways. Texture wise, if you hit a certain limit on Windows 10 you will run into problems. Mine was that the textures would go missing after prolong game session especially while out in the open world. My guess is that over time the textures stored just accumulate and you just have to restart your game by then.

I would boot up Oldrim again, but after finishing other games first as they are taking the space on my hard drive lol

I think i'm pretty much fucked on windows 10 then, because I get that stuttering when turning the camera in whiterun when I install smim and noble skyrim. maybe that patch that Microsoft is doing to eliminate that 4 gb memory limit that people are talking about will fix it.

It seems like you can still buy it from key sellers like greenmangaming, if you feel like using one.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition/

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=skyrim+legendary+edition+pc&sprefix=skyrim+lege%2Cvideogames%2C208&crid=HSDC2FQI6Q71

Are Skyrim Legendary Edition and Skyrim GOTY the same? What are the key differences, if any? I heard someone use Legendary and Special Edition interchangeably. There is a lot of confusion for me here.

you can still buy it from steam via direct link http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/  bethesda went sneaky and disabled skyrim from steam search but its still accessible.

Are Skyrim Legendary Edition and Skyrim GOTY the same? What are the key differences, if any?

I've only ever seen the game advertised as the Legendary Edition, although some people do refer to it as the GOTY edition as that was how Bethesda used to label the versions of their games that came with all important DLCs, like Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, and Fallout 3 GOTY.

I heard someone use Legendary and Special Edition interchangeably. There is a lot of confusion for me here.

I think that person got confused when trying to tell the two different editions apart, or they didn't know the engine differences between the two releases.

Are Skyrim Legendary Edition and Skyrim GOTY the same? What are the key differences, if any? I heard someone use Legendary and Special Edition interchangeably. There is a lot of confusion for me here.

get the legendary if you're after the oldrim 32 bit, special edition is the new remaster that came out last year.

I've never heard of a goty edition but here's a link where the LE is dirt cheap.

never had a problem with this site personally they sell the keys you can activate it on steam.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-5-skyrim-legendary-edition-pc

Are Skyrim Legendary Edition and Skyrim GOTY the same? What are the key differences, if any?

I've only ever seen the game advertised as the Legendary Edition, although some people do refer to it as the GOTY edition as that was how Bethesda used to label the versions of their games that came with all important DLCs, like Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, and Fallout 3 GOTY.

I heard someone use Legendary and Special Edition interchangeably. There is a lot of confusion for me here.

I think that person got confused when trying to tell the two different editions apart, or they didn't know the engine differences between the two releases.

Skyrim exist as two separate games, the Legendary Edition is 32-bit (DX 9.0c) while Special Edition is 64-bit (DX 11).

so someone earlier in the thread said Microsoft is going to patch windows 10 to eliminate that 4gb memory limit. anyone know when that will be or what the update is called or where I can find more information, from Microsoft, on it?

Just to be clear you mean the VRAM 4gb bug.. not the 32bit process 4GB memory limit. It seems quite a few people are getting confused about this.

so someone earlier in the thread said Microsoft is going to patch windows 10 to eliminate that 4gb memory limit. anyone know when that will be or what the update is called or where I can find more information, from Microsoft, on it?

Just to be clear you mean the VRAM 4gb bug.. not the 32bit process 4GB memory limit. It seems quite a few people are getting confused about this.

ummm....i think perhaps the vram 4gb bug. when setting up enb i was always told that i should put VideoMemorySizeMb in the enblocal ini to 4064 because of windows 10 can't take into account all the memory I have. idk i'm not really tech savvy just what I read on all the tutorials and from other people that windows 7 can use more memory for textures when it comes to skyrim but not in windows 10.

the 32 bit 4gb limit I thought was fixed by enb but since it's 32 bit can't go any higher.

problem is I think i'm still screwed with SSE even though it's 64 bit I still get stuttering when turning my camera if I install some packs like smim and noble skyrim hd even though I have a 980 ti and 16 gb ram. but like I told someone else I already noticed in msi afterburner my graphics memory was already close to 6gb even without those packs and that SSE already uses a lot more memory looks like if msi afterburner is anything to go off of. witcher 3 doesn't even use close to that in comparison I don't think.

ummm....i think perhaps the vram 4gb bug. when setting up enb i was always told that i should put VideoMemorySizeMb in the enblocal ini to 4064 because of windows 10 can't take into account all the memory I have. idk i'm not really tech savvy just what I read on all the tutorials and from other people that windows 7 can use more memory for textures when it comes to skyrim but not in windows 10.

the 32 bit 4gb limit I thought was fixed by enb but since it's 32 bit can't go any higher.

problem is I think i'm still screwed with SSE even though it's 64 bit I still get stuttering when turning my camera if I install some packs like smim and noble skyrim hd even though I have a 980 ti and 16 gb ram. but like I told someone else I already noticed in msi afterburner my graphics memory was already close to 6gb even without those packs and that SSE already uses a lot more memory looks like if msi afterburner is anything to go off of. witcher 3 doesn't even use close to that in comparison I don't think.

The bug in Windows 10 essentially prevents DX9/10 games from utilising the full video memory, ENB implemented a fix for it and now Microsoft are going to fix it. However, this will not make any difference to SE because it is a DX11 game which does not have the issue.

The 32bit 4gb limit is immutable and absolute as you correctly state. SE however is 64bit so that is not causing your issue.

In terms of SSE, you have a better card than me, I have just a 750Ti at the moment. But mine is silky smooth 60fps, no stuttering at all. I have over 200 mods now installed including noble skyrim + lots of other textures like most of the Rustic ones. Stuttering when turning the camera sounds like latency loading up mip levels, do you have your mods installed on an SSD?

I use 1 SSD for the game itself, then MO is set up on another dedicated SSD so all the mods come from there.

Edit: I just remembered something I had almost forgotten..

Early after the release of SE, I installed the noble skyrim and various other texture replacers and I did find some micro stutters panning the camera around. So I did an old trick I used to do on oldrim... warning though this takes time and patience; I extracted the Skyrim - Textures1.bsa - Skyrim - Textures8.bsa into a separate folder for each one. Then I merged my texture replacers like noble skyrim into the relevant folder, thereby truly replacing the default texture. Then I created a dummy project in the CK and rebuilt the archives 1 by 1.

And no more micro stutters at all. I suspect it has to do with the fact that those bsa folders are always loaded by Skyrim and therefore the default textures they contain. Texture replacers are then loaded after. Whatever the reason, the fact is it works.

The bug in Windows 10 essentially prevents DX9/10 games from utilising the full video memory, ENB implemented a fix for it and now Microsoft are going to fix it. However, this will not make any difference to SE because it is a DX11 game which does not have the issue.

The 32bit 4gb limit is immutable and absolute as you correctly state. SE however is 64bit so that is not causing your issue.

In terms of SSE, you have a better card than me, I have just a 750Ti at the moment. But mine is silky smooth 60fps, no stuttering at all. I have over 200 mods now installed including noble skyrim + lots of other textures like most of the Rustic ones. Stuttering when turning the camera sounds like latency loading up mip levels, do you have your mods installed on an SSD?

I use 1 SSD for the game itself, then MO is set up on another dedicated SSD so all the mods come from there.

Edit: I just remembered something I had almost forgotten..

Early after the release of SE, I installed the noble skyrim and various other texture replacers and I did find some micro stutters panning the camera around. So I did an old trick I used to do on oldrim... warning though this takes time and patience; I extracted the Skyrim - Textures1.bsa - Skyrim - Textures8.bsa into a separate folder for each one. Then I merged my texture replacers like noble skyrim into the relevant folder, thereby truly replacing the default texture. Then I created a dummy project in the CK and rebuilt the archives 1 by 1.

And no more micro stutters at all. I suspect it has to do with the fact that those bsa folders are always loaded by Skyrim and therefore the default textures they contain. Texture replacers are then loaded after. Whatever the reason, the fact is it works.

hmm..maybe i'll try that later, switching to my ssd. I didn't think much of it since I had that problem with oldrim with too many high res textures and mods installed as well(stutter when turning my camera), which pretty much went away uninstalling mods(especially textures) or using texture optimizer, so I just ended up putting SSe on my hdd. I don't mean microstutter either, I mean a hard stutter when I turn quickly or something to go in another direction. right now I just don't feel like installing everything again so I may try my ssd later. maybe some more mods will be out for it too by then.

Archived