Current state of SSE

Zydar

I just read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6cbmw9/pc_skse64_update_of_sorts/?sort=new

Is there a thread on LL talking about this? basically skse64 is dead:-(

Nah this has been beaten to death but SKSE64 isn't dead.  Even if it is dead there are already people writing some basic extenders like the one for the "SSS Fixes" mod that fixes the 240 ESP framerate issue some people are seeing: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10546/?

So there's hope. :)

I just read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6cbmw9/pc_skse64_update_of_sorts/?sort=new

Is there a thread on LL talking about this? basically skse64 is dead:-(

Nah this has been beaten to death but SKSE64 isn't dead.  Even if it is dead there are already people writing some basic extenders like the one for the "SSS Fixes" mod that fixes the 240 ESP framerate issue some people are seeing: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10546/?

So there's hope. :)

Yeah, people thought Beyond Skyrim: Bruma was a joke and that it would never happen. We'll guess what! It's only a couple of days or weeks away from coming to SSE let alone coming out a week ago for Skyrim 32bit. My guess is Skywind will be coming next. People can beat whatever idea of SKSE64 being dead all they want, but when you realize that Skyrim SE can do much more than Skyrim 32bit. You can guarantee mods like Bruma may bring back the SKSE team or spark an interest again for them to jump back into skyrim modding once their lives have calm down a bit. Especially, if Skywind team finishes their mod which might be another year or two. I have a feeling the old team were huge Morrowind fans so you never know.

The SKSE will let us know when SKSE is officially dead when they tell us it's dead and until they do. Making assumptions doesn't help anyone. It only gives off negative vibes to other modders who want to create mods and think something isn't worth working on. From my own personal experience. SSE is the most stable Engine which barely puts a dent on my PC. My hope... My hope is the SKSE team will the the potential of the new 64bit update and will bring about it's fullest when they are ready. However, the simple fact that Meh321 has started working on creating fixes for SSE means big things might happen. That dude is a genius through and through. He's created some amazing fixes and mods for Skyrim 32bit and when he has time. Hopefully he'll create some new ones for Skyrim SE.  

I get it, Oldrim is superior to SE to every aspect. It can get prettier too. But saying it can be stable is a lie, it can be to an extent and you never know what's around the corner.

So ppl will come and say "I'm midway on a run right know with this many hours of gameplay and bla bla". Yeah, how many runs have I made? Plenty. But in every one of them something buggered the hell out of my patience and it's been ages since I got near the end of the game.

How many times have I got no ways of entering the Bannered Mare without CTD and got to uninstall some mods to even open that door again? Jeesh...

I get it, Oldrim was awesome. But I repeat, saying that SE's stability is not superior in every way is a lie.

That's why every week or so I check SE's status. It may never come the day that SE gets even near Oldrim, but oh how wonderful it would be.

Then there's also Skyrim possibly with full VR support coming to PC after an exclusivity period is over with PSVR. Sony paid for it, but once you get the code working with Skyrim and Fallout, you can reuse the techniques and a decent amount of code.

Then there's also Skyrim possibly with full VR support coming to PC after an exclusivity period is over with PSVR. Sony paid for it, but once you get the code working with Skyrim and Fallout, you can reuse the techniques and a decent amount of code.

Oldrim will be the king in VR for quite some time.

1. There is not a single word in the Bethesda's marketing about SkyrimVR about mods. This is very unusual for them. Even if the game is moddable there is also not a word about a CK. 

2. We have no idea at the moment if the existing modding tools will work with the VR version. I would imagine a proper VR integration would require changes in many levels. That would mean that the old mods and tools would be incompatible. If for some reson they do work then the question will be what exactly did Beth optimize/update to justify a full 60 euro price tag.

3. There is no VR modding community. 

4. I guess the chances the VR Beth games get a script extender are less than 1%. (Somebody should send Behippo a Vive).

5. From what we have seen in the demos both FOVR and SkyrimVR are first person only in a ghost mode - you are an invisible floating point of view. This is simply not good enough. 

6. SkyrimVR is a poisoned apple - it is an exclusive title for a platform in a very young market for purely marketing reasons. Timed or not - SkyrimVR sets a terrible precedent. I'm still not sure how to react to that, I'll probably wait for a price drop of at least 70%.   

So in the next several years the best way to play Skyrim in VR will be the same as now - Oldrim with VorpX. 

All we need honestly, no idiot is going to draw an arrow in bow with a hand motion.

Many people will. Hot topic of discussions in the VR subreddits was how will FO4VR handle the reloading of guns because people were worried it will be a button press instead of some kind of a motion. But nobody knows yet because the demo that people got to try during E3 was in God mode. There are also a lot of discussions about two-handed weapons and such. 

But my point was about Oldrim been the best way to play Skyrim in VR. All mods seem to work (with some complications) and this is going to be the way to experience it for at least several more years. Also some of the more cartoonish updates in SSE really look bad in VR (like the low quality sprite vegetation). 

Mod Organizer 2 is being worked on by Le Presidente. Yeah, we haven't gotten an update, but we don't know what's going on. We may eventually get one. The only issue I've run into with MO 2 is it crashes with executable. Otherwise, it works just fine. 

There's a lot more than just the executable crashes. The profile managed saves don't work. Profile managed INI files don't work. INI tweaks don't work.

The executable crashes are actually really annoying if you frequently use a lot of modding tools in one session (like xEdit, SmashMator/WryeBash, Outfit Studio, etc.) since I've found that you need to restart MO2 between crashes for it to stay reliable. Otherwise MO2 itself can have issue that requires killing the exe through the task manager.

Oldrim still has edge thanks to the longtime modding on SE, but its getting closer every day. Currently in my SE with reshade, evokes new realism enb (although there is a ruby enb and others out now too), vivid weathers, darker nights, relighting skyrim, enhanced lighting and fx, mature skin texture, the skyrim 2017 texture packs, unp female body renewal with bathsheba body (with some CBBE follower standalones for variety), among plenty of others (up to 250 mods now in my active load order). The game is pretty gorgeous and seems a whole lot more stable with less crashing than I experienced in oldrim. I could do more I imagine, but I'd need to sli in another graphics card lol. 

I don't get this whole 'state of SSE' thing at all.. it's baffling. I played Skyrim original from literally day 1 when it was released, and have continued to come back to it over many years... however with SE I just can not go back to oldrim. The stability and fluidity of it is hands down a better experience.

I don't get this whole 'state of SSE' thing at all.. it's baffling. I played Skyrim original from literally day 1 when it was released, and have continued to come back to it over many years... however with SE I just can not go back to oldrim. The stability and fluidity of it is hands down a better experience.

I agree with you.  At first I thought it was going to be a hard transition, but after 60 hours and 150 mods installed, I've experienced no crashes, stuttering, or frozen screens.  Though there are some follower mods I wish to convert to SSE, but don't know how.  I've learned to live without.  The only problem is due to the stability I don't save as much, so when I run into a troll at level 1, I have to reload a save that was made an hour prior.  But that's my fault not the game.

heyguys i'm trying to transition to sse and i might just play both of them but right now something seems odd, everyone keeps talking about how you can mod sse even more since it's a better engine and better performing but if i install some texture packs i get stuttering, like turning my camera and the stuttering happens, this happened to me in oldrim too if i installed too many textures that were high res or ultra hd.

i have a 980 ti on windows 10 and an i5 4690k, for example, if i install smim, weather and lighting, noble skyrim and enb, plus the enb elfx smim patch i still get the same drop i got in oldrim in riverwood, doesn't seem to be performing any better besides not crashing. i haven't had a single crash which is really nice. i'd like to hear from other people experiences on their setups because sounds like you guys have a ton of mods installed, more than me. do you guys use a bunch of textures?

I noticed it uses a lot more memory if msi afterburner is realiable, I read that the textures are 2k and 4k in sse and I don't install anything higher than that.

I agree.  I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the fact that not every oldrim mod has an official port to SE by the original author. 

Most Oldrim mods already work in SE without needing a port.  Of the ones that don't, most of them only need to have their BSAs extracted and/or have the meshes run through NIF Optimizer.  Even mods that use SKSE frequently work in SE without any changes if the only reason they need it is for an MCM (which is a lot of mods).

I have close to 100 GB of mods installed in SE now and it runs smooth as butter.  Never crashes, looks better than Oldrim in most respects, gets better framerate, and about half of the mods I'm running are Oldrim mods that are either completely unconverted or I've just extracted BSAs and/or optimized mesh files.

There's no way I could ever go back to Oldrim regardless what happens with SKSE.  Most of the issues I've run into are actually issues with MO2 rather than the game itself, although IMO a glitchy MO2 is still better than NMM.

I agree with you.  At first I thought it was going to be a hard transition, but after 60 hours and 150 mods installed, I've experienced no crashes, stuttering, or frozen screens.  Though there are some follower mods I wish to convert to SSE, but don't know how.  I've learned to live without.  The only problem is due to the stability I don't save as much, so when I run into a troll at level 1, I have to reload a save that was made an hour prior.  But that's my fault not the game.

Isnt it kinda early to say that SSE is more stable then Oldrim?

Well of course its going to be more stable since its missing 90% of the mods that Oldrim have.

Im sure if i rolled back my Oldrim to the basic mods that SSE has im sure it would be stable as well.

Maybe in the long long future if we ever get SKSE64 we will find out. It has the potential of course. But will it ever reach that before the next elder scrolls get released in a few years?

Right now i just dont see the point in SSE when Oldrim can do pretty much anything as long as you manage your mods.

And it will problaby take a while before people start converting mods once skse64 is out. Some mods we might never get updated to SSE since lot of the old modders quit already and are no longer updating them.

And dont kid your self. If you dont manage your mods in SSE you will see the same crashes you would get in Oldrim

Isnt it kinda early to say that SSE is more stable then Oldrim?

Well of course its going to be more stable since its missing 90% of the mods that Oldrim have.

Im sure if i rolled back my Oldrim to the basic mods that SSE has im sure it would be stable as well.

Maybe in the long long future if we ever get SKSE64 we will find out. It has the potential of course. But will it ever reach that before the next elder scrolls get released in a few years?

Right now i just dont see the point in SSE when Oldrim can do pretty much anything as long as you manage your mods.

And it will problaby take a while before people start converting mods once skse64 is out. Some mods we might never get updated to SSE since lot of the old modders quit already and are no longer updating them.

And dont kid your self. If you dont manage your mods in SSE you will see the same crashes you would get in Oldrim

My SE game is already much more heavily modded than my Oldrim game ever was never crashes.  And I think most of the best mods will get converted whether the original author is around anymore or not.  I recently started using a converted version of Wyrmstooth as an example and it works great...

snip

snip

My SE game is already much more heavily modded than my Oldrim game ever was never crashes.  And I think most of the best mods will get converted whether the original author is around anymore or not.  I recently started using a converted version of Wyrmstooth as an example and it works great...

Since SSE is missing SKSE so you cant really say that its more heavily modded then oldrim since its missing most functions thats just not possible without SKSE.

If your talking about textures and meshes and lot of npc's or new areas. You can do the same in Oldrim as long as you mod it smart with some extra mods that manage memory or optimises your game better.

snip

snip

Since SSE is missing SKSE so you cant really say that its more heavily modded then oldrim since its missing most functions thats just not possible without SKSE.

If your talking about textures and meshes and lot of npc's or new areas. You can do the same in Oldrim as long as you mod it smart with some extra mods that manage memory or optimises your game better.

you are mistaking what he said. he said his SSE game is more heavily modded than his SLE game he is not making a general statement about the two but a statement about his own personal installs. wether his game does or doesn't have SKSE if his active plugins is greater in his SSE install than his SLE install, his statement is true. SKSE only adds extra functionality (more tools) it doesn't add new plugins.

@The Professor. I had to reteach myself a lot of the things I forgot or that changed, and converting many mods isn't too hard so long as they don't use skse. Here is a vid that got me started. 

heyguys i'm trying to transition to sse and i might just play both of them but right now something seems odd, everyone keeps talking about how you can mod sse even more since it's a better engine and better performing but if i install some texture packs i get stuttering, like turning my camera and the stuttering happens, this happened to me in oldrim too if i installed too many textures that were high res or ultra hd.

i have a 980 ti on windows 10 and an i5 4690k, for example, if i install smim, weather and lighting, noble skyrim and enb, plus the enb elfx smim patch i still get the same drop i got in oldrim in riverwood, doesn't seem to be performing any better besides not crashing. i haven't had a single crash which is really nice. i'd like to hear from other people experiences on their setups because sounds like you guys have a ton of mods installed, more than me. do you guys use a bunch of textures?

I noticed it uses a lot more memory if msi afterburner is realiable, I read that the textures are 2k and 4k in sse and I don't install anything higher than that.

@jimmywon34

Hey Jimmy, I'm only sporting a gtx 970 (overclocked though) and although I overdid the shiny a bit, my game is running good and playable at 250+ mods. There are some things I've heard and done though. First I've read a lot of the texture packs might way your frames down if you don't have a decent amount of ram, I had no problem with the 4k landscape packs and other peripherals I mentioned with 32 gig. I am also on windows 7 though, I did read something about windows 10 not managing its ram effectively for skyrim, especially with a reshade/enb without some tweaks (didn't look into it though given I wasn't affected, but maybe check that out). Also you might want to make sure you look up SSE fixes on nexus.

Supposedly bethesda didn't optimize the game esp system and it basically is constantly looping through them all even ones not needed presently given your location. Results in your game slowing down drastically even with 250 blank esps that should require nothing. SSE tweaks should fix that and only load what you need from your esps as you need it. I saw a 5-10 frame increase when I installed it. The only significant drop I see in frames now is when  I load up my home with my legion of followers waiting for adventure (think it loads some 60+ npcs in one large area, half managed by followertweaks). 

snip

I am confused by your impression of what SKSE is and what it does. It extends the scripting capabilities of papyrus, that is it. You seem to be under the illusion that it is providing 'most functions'.. it really isn't. With SKSE it made some very very useful additions, however for the vast majority of mods it extended to a few lines of code and a small amount of the functionality. Much of which can and has been overcome. There are some notable exceptions such as HDTPE.

I am not downplaying SKSE in anyway, as a mod author I eagerly await SKSE64, however there seems to be this hysteria claiming that good mods are not possible without it.

Also understand *why* SSE is more stable.. in big part it is because the papyrus script engine has a massively larger environment in which to operate (64bit) as opposed to the memory limitations of 32bit. It is NOT too early to make a judgement on that.. the proof is in the eating. I know from years of playing, modding and developing for oldrim that if even half my present SSE mods were actively running at the same time.. I would be lucky to get an hour of play between CTD's or other issues occurring. And in SSE.. I literally do not CTD ever.. everything works as it should.

@jimmywon34

Hey Jimmy, I'm only sporting a gtx 970 (overclocked though) and although I overdid the shiny a bit, my game is running good and playable at 250+ mods. There are some things I've heard and done though. First I've read a lot of the texture packs might way your frames down if you don't have a decent amount of ram, I had no problem with the 4k landscape packs and other peripherals I mentioned with 32 gig. I am also on windows 7 though, I did read something about windows 10 not managing its ram effectively for skyrim, especially with a reshade/enb without some tweaks (didn't look into it though given I wasn't affected, but maybe check that out). Also you might want to make sure you look up SSE fixes on nexus.

Supposedly bethesda didn't optimize the game esp system and it basically is constantly looping through them all even ones not needed presently given your location. Results in your game slowing down drastically even with 250 blank esps that should require nothing. SSE tweaks should fix that and only load what you need from your esps as you need it. I saw a 5-10 frame increase when I installed it. The only significant drop I see in frames now is when  I load up my home with my legion of followers waiting for adventure (think it loads some 60+ npcs in one large area, half managed by followertweaks). 

hmmm...I have sse fixes

perhaps it is windows 10 handling memory in efficiently or that 4gb lock

I would've thought sse would've handles high res or ultra hd textures a lot better.

I haven't touch either Skyrim or Skyrim SSE in a while, but what I do know is that its much more stabler than it can have a lot more NPCs on screen than Oldrim. I have never tried playing with any script intensive mod list, not like you can without SKSE64 anyways. Texture wise, if you hit a certain limit on Windows 10 you will run into problems. Mine was that the textures would go missing after prolong game session especially while out in the open world. My guess is that over time the textures stored just accumulate and you just have to restart your game by then.

I would boot up Oldrim again, but after finishing other games first as they are taking the space on my hard drive lol

i cant... i just cant... fresh install of skyrim LE, no ENB, no weather mod (which are notorious for CTD with spell effects that effect the weather "Stormcall"), no lighting mods, just the usuall body replacer skin textures very few overhauls (no follower, town, or housing overhauls) some armor mods and texture replacers) and still for no apparent reason skyrim will random crash on loading a cell any cell. i never get this problem with SSE. my main use for sex lab is for spouses because it bothers me that a game based on nordic folk has absolutely no sex in it but has brutal violence. if i could have sex lab working in SSE id never turn back.

i cant... i just cant... fresh install of skyrim LE, no ENB, no weather mod (which are notorious for CTD with spell effects that effect the weather "Stormcall"), no lighting mods, just the usuall body replacer skin textures very few overhauls (no follower, town, or housing overhauls) some armor mods and texture replacers) and still for no apparent reason skyrim will random crash on loading a cell any cell. i never get this problem with SSE. my main use for sex lab is for spouses because it bothers me that a game based on nordic folk has absolutely no sex in it but has brutal violence. if i could have sex lab working in SSE id never turn back.

Flower Girls works fine for that.  Check it out.  It's stuff like Defeat or SLEN that we don't have a replacement for in SE yet.  We do have Abduction for some BDSM stuff but I don't think there's a way yet for the PC to be submissive.

Flower Girls works fine for that.  Check it out.  It's stuff like Defeat or SLEN that we don't have a replacement for in SE yet.  We do have Abduction for some BDSM stuff but I don't think there's a way yet for the PC to be submissive.

thank you so much for putting me onto that i didnt even realize SSE had something similar yet. ^_^

Archived