Current state of SSE

Zydar

Been a long time since I kept up with the modding developments of SSE. How has it been since last December? The only thing I know is that SKSE64 is still in the works, but I'm seeing DLL Loaders in some newer mods on the Nexus. I've also heard about a possible DX9 fix for Windows 10, but no follow up on that ever since.

No Mod Organizer (vortex), no skse, no cbbe is current status.

I actually needed a status update to. But with what you said, made me just lose hope for SSE in a second.

Yup. I gave up on it. Even if SKSE were to come out soon, a lot of the mods won't be available. They take a long time to port, many modders simply don't mod anymore or are just turned off from it due to consoles and the related drama or can't even be reached for permissions for someone else to pick them up, etc.

On top of that, the real reason to get SSE is stability, but with the upcoming fix to DX9 memory limit (or current fix if insider), that reason either disappears or is greatly diminished anyways.

So just no reason to bother with SSE anymore.

The upcoming fix is only to remove the 4GB VRAM DX9 hard cap that was put into Windows 10 for no reason.  It will not magically make Oldrim more stable than in Windows 7.  It just allows Oldrim to be playable in Windows 10 if your video card has more than 4GB of memory.

SSE does not have that problem because its engine is DX11.  

- Mod Organizer 2 works fine for SE

- most Oldrim mods work in SE without needing to do anything

- of the mods that don't work as is, most of them just need to have the BSA unpacked for it to work in SE

- even mods that require SKSE frequently work in SE if the only thing they need it for is the MCM menu

I have almost 100 GB of mods installed in SE.  Never crashes, looks better, performs better, and there's very few things from oldrim that I have no replacement for.  About half of the mods I'm using are oldrim mods.

The upcoming fix is only to remove the 4GB VRAM DX9 hard cap that was put into Windows 10 for no reason.  It will not magically make Oldrim more stable than in Windows 7.  It just allows Oldrim to be playable in Windows 10 if your video card has more than 4GB of memory.

its already perfectly stable and playable, I'm currently midway through another playthrough right now. But you have to scale down a lot on quality and quantity of textures (for example run everything 2k optimized instead of 4k), ENBs, etc. if you wish to have an SL based playthrough with detailed body graphics. This fix will allow to raise or entirely get rid of these limitations

with the amount of mods and fixes available for oldrim you can make your game just as stable and with the ram limits lifted your ENBs will make your game just as good looking, if not better, (user subjective) then SSE. And that's the point.

- Mod Organizer 2 works fine for SE

- most Oldrim mods work in SE without needing to do anything

- of the mods that don't work as is, most of them just need to have the BSA unpacked for it to work in SE

- even mods that require SKSE frequently work in SE if the only thing they need it for is the MCM menu

I have almost 100 GB of mods installed in SE.  Never crashes, looks better, performs better, and there's very few things from oldrim that I have no replacement for.  About half of the mods I'm using are oldrim mods.

But among all that, what full SL based playthrough can you get ? Afterall, this is LL site, with exception of some outfits and some misc stuff, why even be here instead of nexus ?

But among all that, what full SL based playthrough can you get ? Afterall, this is LL site, with exception of some outfits and some misc stuff, why even be here instead of nexus ?

Well obviously for sex mods we're limited to AP and Flowergirls and any mods that use those as a base.  They work though.  It remains to be seen how much content we'll see for those.  If the sex stuff is the main reason you play Skyrim then you're obviously better off with Oldrim.  For me it's just there for some added flavor.

I keep seeing these posts saying there is no CBBE for SSE. How is this even remotely accurate? I've been using CBBE since less than a month from release... I've also been successfully using MO2 as well. The only hangup on SL for SE is SKSE64.

I keep seeing these posts saying there is no CBBE for SSE. How is this even remotely accurate? I've been using CBBE since less than a month from release... I've also been successfully using MO2 as well. The only hangup on SL for SE is SKSE64.

New CBBE for SSE was never released. This might happen now when caliente finaly showed up. Mod Organizer 2 was left on beta. Vortex is stil far from done. Sure people can use beta tools and mods but thats what they are - unfinished.

New CBBE for SSE was never released. This might happen now when caliente finaly showed up. Mod Organizer 2 was left on beta. Vortex is stil far from done. Sure people can use beta tools and mods but thats what they are - unfinished.

Hey, Kinky.

Mod Organizer 2 is being worked on by Le Presidente. Yeah, we haven't gotten an update, but we don't know what's going on. We may eventually get one. The only issue I've run into with MO 2 is it crashes with executable. Otherwise, it works just fine. 

Hey, Kinky.

Mod Organizer 2 is being worked on by Le Presidente. Yeah, we haven't gotten an update, but we don't know what's going on. We may eventually get one. The only issue I've run into with MO 2 is it crashes with executable. Otherwise, it works just fine. 

I've run into a few other quirks with it but for the most part it works great.  Unresolved MO issues for me:

1.  Same as you, it crashes pretty frequently after running any 3rd party utility (SSEEDIT, FNIS, etc).  The output files generated work fine even if MO crashed after generating them.

2.  The first time I run Skyrim SE after booting up my computer, sometimes it doesn't see any of my mods til I exit and run it again.

3.  Seems to fail to install mods with loose files that have extremely long pathnames, if packed into a BSA the same mod works fine.  (Examples: Sands of Time, Qaxe's Questorium for SSE)

4.  Managing saves through MO doesn't seem to work, have to do it in SE instead.

5.  Wrye Bash throws errors and outputs to the real /data folder unless you make a dummy mod with the output files it normally generates and tell it to output to that instead of overwrite.

3.  Seems to fail to install mods with loose files that have extremely long pathnames, if packed into a BSA the same mod works fine.  (Examples: Sands of Time, Qaxe's Questorium for SSE)

As far as I am aware that is a windows thing rather than mo2, as I have had windows throw out error messages when copying files/directory structure with very long file names, bodyslide stuff is a common problem, though some other things do so as well.

As far as I am aware that is a windows thing rather than mo2, as I have had windows throw out error messages when copying files/directory structure with very long file names, bodyslide stuff is a common problem, though some other things do so as well.

I completely agree. It's definitely a window thing. It'll say things like error or what not, but if you refresh it will load the mod just fine. However, there is a trick to MO 2 when trying to get it to work with multiple games like FO4 . You've got to create a new exe file like Fallout4.exe and Skyrim.exe. However when doing this it creates a brand new file in your local drive under app data and if you don't install FO4 or SSE at once and try to create a new setup. If you've already got one of the games installed. It'll cause your old mod list to basically cancel out and you'll have to start over. 

MO 2 works really well. 

AS for long file paths. I've been able to work around that by recreating the paths from scratch, but when it comes to utitlites like SSE Fixes. It has a bit of a problem recognizing the mod. Since it's only loading DDL Plugin Loaders. 

Who is doing this fix ? Somehow missed this new.

Who is doing this fix ? Somehow missed this new.

Microsoft, supposedly will be included in the Fall Update.

Here's a cross post i made on the bruma thread (kinda).

even with all the graphical mods available on SSE, SSE can't even get close to LE modded graphics. SSE enb's alway suffer from proper saturation balance and shadow detail. It's got that horrendous problem where shadows are pitch black in areas that should not be pitch black, and people who haven't seen a good LE ENB think those ENB's look "good".

SSE righ tnow just doesnt have any good enb's. I just can't fathom playign skyrim without sexlab, hdt physics, and all those skimpy armor mods that have hdt physics attached to them.

Plus bazinga's XML setup. <---- can't live without that.

I mean just compare hodilton or Ultimate immersion's youtube videos of their SSE maxed out graphical setups versus their Legendary Edition Maxed otu graphical setups, LE version always takes a dump on Special edition in terms of modded graphics.

Edit: just look at the current state of graphical modding between Legendary edition and Special edition:

Legendary Edition Graphics:

Special Edition graphics:

There's just no comparison here, SE always looks either washed out or oversaturated with no color balance/contrast balance.

Legendary edition with its tetrachromatic, suki, K enb, Rudy ENB, literally trumps anything that SE has currently.

AND GUESS WHAT, THE BEYOND SKYRIM TEAM IS DITCHING LEGENDARY EDITION FOR ALL FUTURE UPDATES AND GOING FOR SPECIAL EDITION ONLY, EVEN WHEN THE GRAPHICS ON SPECIAL EDITION IS DOG SHIT.

There's a new version of Qaxe's Questorium out so I tried again and long file names wasn't the issue.  Apparently MO just doesn't like installing a 5GB mod as 1 zip file.  I split it up into 2 zips and it worked fine.

There's a new version of Qaxe's Questorium out so I tried again and long file names wasn't the issue.  Apparently MO just doesn't like installing a 5GB mod as 1 zip file.  I split it up into 2 zips and it worked fine.

Odd, I have installed 5-6gb merged armour packs and never had problems, but there again I tend to go away and leave it to it for some time.

Odd, I have installed 5-6gb merged armour packs and never had problems, but there again I tend to go away and leave it to it for some time.

I have as well.  Seems to be hit or miss sometimes.  For me, Qaxe's consistently gets stuck at 84% every time unless I break it up into multiple files.  I had the same problem with Sands of Time until the mod author repacked it into a BSA instead of loose files.  Then it worked fine even though the BSA version was actually bigger.

There's just no comparison here, SE always looks either washed out or oversaturated with no color balance/contrast balance.

Legendary edition with its tetrachromatic, suki, K enb, Rudy ENB, literally trumps anything that SE has currently.

AND GUESS WHAT, THE BEYOND SKYRIM TEAM IS DITCHING LEGENDARY EDITION FOR ALL FUTURE UPDATES AND GOING FOR SPECIAL EDITION ONLY, EVEN WHEN THE GRAPHICS ON SPECIAL EDITION IS DOG SHIT.

I'm not trying to flame you or anything but everything you mentioned are accomplished through various combinations of of shaders which is what most of the countless ENB packages out there are. There hasn't been much push to do this for SSE because of various misconceptions varying from "it doesn't need ENB" to "SSE's engine can't do <insert feature>", both of which are wrong.

So back to the shaders and combinations thereof: they're out there and if they were written correctly they'll load in ReShade 3.0. Marty McFly released a whole suite of shaders for SSE a while back on the Nexus, but I never hear anyone talking about them because they're not "ENB".  What's cool about that? I'd say he wrote a good portion of the shaders that were used in the Oldrim ENBs.

My point is: if you could load the exact same shaders under SSE it would look pretty much the same. We're kind of hamstrung by the fact that Boris hasn't figured out how to replicate his DX9 tricks under DX11 (yet)  and humans are dumb. Fortunately the ReShade guys have figured DX11 out and have a working shader library out there waiting to be rediscovered and used with SSE.

I'm not trying to flame you or anything but everything you mentioned are accomplished through various combinations of of shaders which is what most of the countless ENB packages out there are. There hasn't been much push to do this for SSE because of various misconceptions varying from "it doesn't need ENB" to "SSE's engine can't do <insert feature>", both of which are wrong.

So back to the shaders and combinations thereof: they're out there and if they were written correctly they'll load in ReShade 3.0. Marty McFly released a whole suite of shaders for SSE a while back on the Nexus, but I never hear anyone talking about them because they're not "ENB".  What's cool about that? I'd say he wrote a good portion of the shaders that were used in the Oldrim ENBs.

My point is: if you could load the exact same shaders under SSE it would look pretty much the same. We're kind of hamstrung by the fact that Boris hasn't figured out how to replicate his DX9 tricks under DX11 (yet)  and humans are dumb. Fortunately the ReShade guys have figured DX11 out and have a working shader library out there waiting to be rediscovered and used with SSE.

I don't hate Skyrim special edition. I just hate the state it's in and how some modders are beginning to make thier mods SE exclusive when SE hasn't even caught up 1/4th of its way to Legendary Edition's ENB/Graphics mods. I literally cannot play skyrim without Suki ENB + SKGE nowadays.

I actually don't use either ENB or Reshade in SE.  All of the ENBs I've tried have blindingly bright fog and I can't get MO2 to run Reshade and still recognize my mods (it loads Reshade but with zero mods).  It's not needed for stability and the vanilla game already has most of the features that the ENBs have without the glitches anyway.  I imagine eventually ENB and/or Reshade will be superior but so far I prefer the vanilla engine.  I currently have about 90GB of mods installed and it's solid as a rock.

Archived