Loading Time Has Tripled

So, in a nutshell, that's the problem. It used to be that it would take only 2 or 3 minutes, max, to load a save. Now, its 7+ minutes.

The excessive time is also affecting Fallout 4.

Its got to be one of two things.

I discovered that I had a bad stick of RAM (cues the mashup "Bad RAM, Bad RAM, whatcha gonna do when the screen goes blue?")

The result is that I've gone from 8Gb RAM to 4Gb.

I uninstalled and then re-installed Steam to a partition on my 2nd physical drive, making it E:\Steam\*

I have noticed no such issues with any other game or application installed on C:

Its not crashing or freezing. Everything loads fine ... eventually. Textures have all been resized using Odenador.

I don't think its my load order, since its affecting FO4, but here's my load order anyway

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
Falskaar.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
Campfire.esm
CreatureFramework.esm
SexLab.esm
Devious Devices - Assets.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
Devious Devices - Integration.esm
Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
Gray Fox Cowl.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
Heretical Resources.esm
notice board.esp
NPCs of Dibella - Resources.esm
paradise_halls.esm
PSQ PlayerSuccubusQuest.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
SexLab - Sexual Fame [sLSF].esm
SexlabInteractiveArousal.esm
TERAArmors.esm
WM Flora Fixes.esp
DeviousFramework.esm
TaraUltimateFurniturePack.esm
zzEsSp.esm
ZazExtensionPack.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
LegacyoftheDragonborn.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
paradise_halls_SLExtension.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
CWIELnFXPatch.esp
MoreBanditCamps(Explorer'sEdition).esp
RealShelter.esp
xazPrisonOverhaul.esp
xazPrisonOverhaul - Patch.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
Populated Skyrim Legendary.esp
Rebirth Monster.esp
Undeath.esp
OBIS.esp
hydra_slavegirls.esp
SexLab_DibellaCult.esp
Captured Dreams.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
Cidhna Mine Expanded.esp
SexLab-Stories.esp
SkyrimsUniqueTreasures.esp
SexLabSkoomaWhore.esp
Horses of Skyrim.esp
Dogs-of-Skyrim.esp
Artifacts.esp
DBM_CACO_Patch.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
zDeviousStories.esp
SexSlavesForVanillaBandits.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot.esp
OBISDB.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
OBIS Loot.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
SimpleSlavery.esp
DeviousRegulations.esp
PAH_HomeSweetHome.esp
SkyUI.esp
WeaponsArmorFixes_ImmersiveWeapons_Patch.esp
Hunterborn.esp
ImCh.esp
Slaverun_Reloaded.esp
DBM_IW_Patch.esp
konahrik_accoutrements.esp
Farm Animals.esp
Farm Animals_HF.esp
CoCo_TDM2.esp
Dovahkiins_Infamy.esp
Hunterborn_CACO_Patch.esp
Frostfall.esp
BrandingDeviceOfDoom.esp
DibellasRecruit.esp
SexLab_Dialogues.esp
SMUTBDS.esp
Devious Cidhna.esp
CagesDiverse.esp
zzEstrus.esp
WheelsOfLull.esp
Space Wiking's Dwemer Exoskeleton.esp
AetheriumSwordsnArmor.esp
alesCampBedrollsSupplies.esp
altvamplord.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
SexLab-StoriesDevious.esp
AngrimApprentice.esp
Animated Dragon Wings.esp
DBM_WAF_CCF_CCOR_Patch.esp
paradise_halls_fellglow_slave_camp.esp
DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
DBM_Undeath_Patch.esp
SlaversHideout.esp
Isharas_TNB_LoTD_Addon.esp
konahrik_accoutrements_db.esp
Dwemertech - Magic of the Dwarves.esp
ArtifactsOfBoethiah.esp
DBM_ArtifactsOfBoethiah_Patch.esp
ArtOfTheCatch.esp
SGS.esp
iNeed.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Auto Unequip Helmet.esp
BB mass ingots smelter.esp
BCS - CCOR Patch.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
BDSkimpyClothes.esp
Better Embers.esp
BlackRedLatexDress.esp
Books of Skyrim Compilation.esp
CampfireKExt.esp
Devious Devices - Equip.esp
CD - D.D. Equip.esp
CD - Female Embassy Guards.esp
Craftable Arrows v1.2.esp
DBM_DPA_Patch.esp
dcc-dm2.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
Devious Deviants.esp
Devious Devices - Gags+.esp
Devious Masque of Clavicus Vile.esp
DibellanDefender.esp
DrunkenSluts.esp
Edhildils Sorceress Robes.esp
EdhildilsDwarvencyborg.esp
Edhildilsmithrilblades.esp
EK_RingLimiter.esp
ElDuderinosDefaultRetexes.esp
ElDuderinos_Fetish_GrabBag.esp
EquipableStockings.esp
EstrusChaurus.esp
EstrusSpider.esp
FNIS.esp
FNISSexyMove.esp
FNISspells.esp
GagSFX.esp
Gatti12Jewelry.esp
Gatti3Evilrose.esp
GattiBondage1.esp
Glowing Vampire Eyes.esp
NewVampChainsArmor.esp
Glowing Eyes.esp
Hermaeus Mora's Caress.esp
Hunterborn_Campfire_Patch.esp
ItemRewardsForBounties.esp
KS Hairdo's.esp
KS Jewelry.esp
Mannequin_Female_Vyctoria.esp
Masque of Clavicus Vile.esp
Master Gets a Job.esp
MoreNastyCritters.esp
SexLabNudeCreatures.esp
SexLabNudeCreaturesDG.esp
SexLabNudeCreaturesDB.esp
nakedforsworn.esp
Neo's Slave Leia Renewal.esp
NibblesAnimObjects.esp
non-devious devices.esp
P1FlyingRing.esp
pahe-DeviousDevices-addon-DDx-patch.esp
paradise_halls_farengars_study.esp
PrisonerRagsForFemales.esp
QuieterDogs.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
RaceMenuOverlayCompilation - CBBE.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RSPatch.esp
SerialStrip.esp
SexLab TDF Aggressive Prostitution.esp
SexLabMassMatchMaker.esp
SexLab_DibellaCult_Sisters.esp
Simple Slavery Defeat.esp
Skyrim Sexy Remodeled Armor for CBBE.esp
Skyrim_Strap_Ons.esp
SLA Monitor Widget.esp
SLALAnimObj.esp
SLALAnimObjBillyy.esp
SLAL_K4Anims.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
Slaverun_Reloaded_Comments.esp
SlaveTats.esp
SlaveTatsEventsBridge.esp
SLIA - Books of Skyrim.esp
SLIA - Legendary.esp
SLIA - Dawnguard.esp
SLIA - Dragonborn.esp
SLIA - Hearthfires.esp
SLIA - Skyrim.esp
SLIA - SMUT Books.esp
SLIA - The Devious Manual.esp
Smithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.esp
SOS - Revealing Armors.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
SpikeBallOutfit.esp
SPTDiverseGuardsSkyrim.esp
Start As Breton Female.esp
Steel Bolts For All.esp
submissivelola.esp
TERAArmors_CBBE.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
TradeBarter.esp
TS_SlickArmour.esp
UIExtensions.esp
UnreadBooksGlow.esp
XiNafay - Shoes.esp
XPMSE.esp
ZaZHDTWorkshop.esp
ZazResources.esp
Zipsuit.esp
zzLSAR.esp
CD - No Catsuits in Outfits.esp
SexlabAmmoUnequip.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
DfwSupport.esp
Follow me for Sex.esp
Sextreme-All.esp
Superjump_2x.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
ccas_starts.esp
Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot LAL AddOn.esp

Thanks in advance

HDD, two physical, with the 2nd one partitioned to create D: and E: drives. D: has all my data, pictures and the such, including mods, and E: is a recent addition and has only Steam on it. Not just the Steam Library, the whole Steam application.

Dual channel is only active with two sticks of ram in the correct slots,  it is not a setting you change it relies on the physical location of the memory module. When you go from dual channel to single channel you are cutting speed in half, so you will notice it. Otherwise the drive you installed to could be slower than your old install location, or it could be extremely fragmented but that's unlikely with any o/s since windows vista.

Dual channel is only active with two sticks of ram in the correct slots,  it is not a setting you change it relies on the physical location of the memory module. When you go from dual channel to single channel you are cutting speed in half, so you will notice it. Otherwise the drive you installed to could be slower than your old install location, or it could be extremely fragmented but that's unlikely with any o/s since windows vista.

Thanks.

I do have available 4GB as 2 sticks of 1Gb and 1 stick of 2Gb. That should restore things to 2 channels, then. Hmmmm .... use two slots with 1Gb each, gives me the 2 channels again, add the 4Gb and end up with 6Gb. I end up with only a 25% loss in RAM, but I also end up going from 1600 to 1333. Still, if it shortens the loading time, I'm game.

And thanks for reminding me about the paging, LazyBoot. I'd recently backgraded from Win10 to Win7 and I don't remember configuring that like I usually do.

I can confirm that loading time is not affected by number of active RAM channels. I have a single stick of 16GB (stupid shopping mistake) and it loads all games including Skyrim really quick, as quick as the older 2x4 GB in dual channel I was using earlier, with a 3x to 5x texture load (as would be normal when upgrading a system).

All my games run off mechanical drives dating back to 2007 and I have never seen loading times longer than about a minute, unless Skyrim crashes (which it does sometimes). The only time I experience long load times is when the drive itself is slow, the cable has gone bad, or there is excessive disk activity. And of course, if you get a setting wrong in the ENB and memory management morass.

4GB of memory is definitely too little to run games of any kind. You will constantly be swapping game assets between memory, the hard drive and video card. It is not a viable proposition, and would really recommend you get back up to 8GB minimum. I regularly see the system hitting peak memory load running Skyrim, and video card memory load crossing 3GB. All of this comes first from the drive into memory, then into VRAM, and then the engine has to fetch the rest of the assets from the drive once these are swapped out of memory.

So any gains you made from moving to a separate drive have effectively been destroyed by halving of the RAM.

Well, I've now replaced the single stick of 4Gb with 3 sticks of 2Gb for a total of 6Gb. Result is now a 25% loss of total RAM.

RAM speed is now 1333, not 1600, so there's loss there, too.

Loading time is still excessive. No apparent change

I could swap out the 3rd 2Gb stick and put in the 4Gb, but I actually don't expect any change.

So, I'm going to uninstall Steam and re-install it back on C:.

Not a biggie, just a chore.

Took the plunge and swapped in the 4Gb stick. The Frankenputer is back up to 8Gb RAM, but running at 1333Mhz, not 1600, a loss of 16.7%

No reduction in loading time.

The move to a separate partition on the 2nd drive was simply because Steam and games take up a lot of space. So, re-installing Steam isn't a biggie, just a chore. I'll use the partition to experiment with Linux or something :P

That's strange.

Do you have an ENB, if you do, post the enblocal.ini file.

If you have SKSE memory patch, Safety Load and/or Crash fixes, note that certain combination of settings will cause very slow loading time. 7 minutes is unusually long.

I'm using new game starts, running ASLAL, waiting until all the system messages have stopped and then saving. That save is what I am loading. Its 12.8Mb.

I used MO to turn off all the mods except Skyrim, the DLC and ASLAL, still had the excessive load time.

process of elimination says its the location of Steam. Since I've only used that harddrive for data storage (MC: "Next time on 'Digital Hoarders' ..."), its speed has never mattered.

Going to find out what the hdd speeds are next.

After shopping. Retired and its PayDay, so I gotta go take care of the bills.

If anybody can recommend a good, reliable, open source harddrive tool that clearly tells the speed, I'll appreciate it.

i am not to sure it is wise to load the save game within alternate start cell just use one the starter option use the bed to telelport and then and then save your game.

btw if mo disabled all mods except for alternate start then i think your savge game is still too big should be around 6 to 8 mb.

I uninstalled and then re-installed Steam to a partition on my 2nd physical drive, making it E:\Steam\*

I have noticed no such issues with any other game or application installed on C:

and that 2nd physical drive isn't an ssd?

because of that it's slower

This happened to me after installing Palaces & Castles Enhanced. My load times went from a couple minutes to an average of 5 mins. I haven't tested on Fallout 4 but I will do that later today. Both games are ultra modded on an SSD.

Even going into empty interior cell like Breezehome, saving and then immediately reloading the game takes even longer to load, maybe 7 or 8 mins! It used to be almost instantaneous!

I'm now closing Skyrim and restarting it every time I have to load a save because it's faster.

I need to test this on a new game and I'll do this later today also.

i am not to sure it is wise to load the save game within alternate start cell just use one the starter option use the bed to telelport and then and then save your game.

btw if mo disabled all mods except for alternate start then i think your savge game is still too big should be around 6 to 8 mb.

No, the 12Mb is with all 251 mods enabled under the same conditions and location. I ran it through MO just to check whether it was related to some mod conflict.

The build is stable, everything runs fine. I've played it for at least 6 hours before making a copy of the Data folder and then moving Steam from C: to E: Even now, once it does load, everything plays just fine.

Btw, just for clarification, its not just loading saves but loading screens when going from interior to exterior. That led me to thinking it might be textures, which is why I ran Odenador. I set it to resize everything over 512K. But, again, the build was stable with those same textures before moving Steam.

Yatol, both drives are HDD.

#1 is 500Gb and contains C:

#2 is 3Tb and is partitioned into D: at 2.5Tb and E: at 500Gb

I had the same problem as you (Except the bad stick of ram. I have 2 8gb sticks)Chances are it's that your running Skyrim off a HDD. it doesn't matter how large it is it won't change a thing, back when I used my 1tb hard drive to run my game it would take a good 10 - 20 seconds to load skyrim with 253 mods including Enb now switched over to 850 Evo with the same setup it takes 3.

Yatol, both drives are HDD.

#1 is 500Gb and contains C:

#2 is 3Tb and is partitioned into D: at 2.5Tb and E: at 500Gb

because of that your loading time got worse

download skyrim performance monitor and coc riverwoodexterior01 to check your mess, average harddrive reading time

many unzip bsa

in old times it was done to do that

170621084859155131.jpg

to get rid of useless files and repack everything

and copy paste that on your game partition, that is the end of the harddrive, after a format (why bother with defragmentation, you copy pate somewhere, then copy paste back)

why not leave steam on harddrive 1 and load mo from harddrive 2? loading from 2 harddrives is faster than loading from one

Yep. In the end, its simpler to go back to keeping Steam on C:

To clarify, I use MO only for testing things. I manually install and use the SKSE launcher, but MO is so very easy for quickly finding and turning mods on and off, especially in bulk.

Anyway, I'm going to re-install/move everything back over to C:

*returns, scratching his head*

6 core processor

8Gb RAM at 133Mhz (a loss of 16.7%)

Uninstalled Steam, which also uninstalled Skyrim

Re-installed Steam to C: and ran it to ensure it was completely updated

Installed Skyrim from disc

Launched virgin Vanilla game, seemed to take quite awhile to launch, chalked that up to first time file creation and such

Ran through the Vanilla start up to where Raloff frees you from your bonds, but before taking Gunjar's gear, did a full save and exited.

Launched game, which didn't take as long as the first time, and ran stopwatch on my not-so-smart phone when I chose Continue and hit Enter

Game took 7m 4s to load the save. :(

Archived