Game won´t start via MO

Heya,

so here I am with a really serious problem.

I´ve installed FNV on my computer, complete with all addons via steam, started, made a save, and installed NVSE and the 4gb patch. So far so good, the game runs with or without nvse, everything fine.

Then I installed the Mod Organizer, right into the game folder, started MO, made a profile, sorted the load order of Main game and addons, checked it with LOOT, started the game, and well, it worked.

Then I installed FNVEdit, started it via MO, closed after loading, started the game, CTD. Whatever I tireid ended up with CTD.

I was able to start the game via the launcher, and via NVSE directly but not anymore with MO.

I reinstalled MO, the game did load again. I put in the NVSE extender, it did load, I put in my favorite type 3 body, and it worked. Always started the NVSE exe via MO.

I put in Robert´s male bodies with patches, sorted, checked and tried to load - CTD...

I unchecked all mods, tried to start via MO, via NVSE, - CTD. I tried to start the game via MO via launcher - CTD. Again I can load the game via NVSE directly or via the launcher directly but not with MO.

Any suggestions, where to find an error.log, that explains, what happens here? And maybee any ideas, how to solve this?

I am a huge fan of the MO, I use it for Skyrim since years, so this is quite annoying... :angry:

Thank you! But in fact I am following exactly this guide and gopher´s videos.

The most irritating is, that everything works as long as I don´t try to start the game via MO. And still no mods installed, simply the vanilla game with NVSE does´nt start. :(

But I dislike to mess up the game data folder with mods, so MO is the only solution. In Skyrim I never encountered such a problem.

Are you using Darnified UI? If you install Darnified UI and make the required .ini changes in the [Fonts] section but then you uninstall Darnified UI the game will crash because it cant find find the fonts listing in the .ini. The only other suggestion I can make is perhaps consider installing Mod Organizer somewhere outside of your main New Vegas folder as this could be caused by some weird permissions issue.

@NotThatICare,

thank you too! But no, the game is straight vanilla. The only changes made were patching the game with the 4 gb patcher, and using NVSE. Only MO don´t want to start the game anymore, without MO it works quite fine.

I think it's how you are starting the game, if using the 4GB patch.

EssAeeBee is clear on this

FNV 4GB Patcher

NOTE:

Users that have the GOG version can skip the 4GB Patcher So start NVSE in MO
  • Author: Roy Batty, LuthienAnarion
  • Version: v1.3
  • Installation: Download and extract the contents into the Fallout New Vegas folder, NOT into any other folder.
  • Patching: Run the patcher to "patch" the game's executable.

Use MO to call the game executable, not NVSE or the launcher. The game is now "patched" to see 4GB of memory and will automatically load NVSE if present.

With the 4GB patch, and assuming Steam path is what you are using, in MO Launcher that's the "New Vagas" option, not Fallout Launcher, or NVSE

New Vegas

Binary:

Path to Stam Folder..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe

MO's official Documentation is here (More focused on Skyrim though, EssArrBee's guide is best for NV, but most of it applies to all games).

Guide:Mod Organizer - S.T.E.P. Project Wiki

Here's the now obsolete 4GB files from my old Steam setup
fnv4gb_helper.dll
fnv4gb.exe

This required you started the game with the 4gb patch, make sure you aren't using this.

Verfy cache in Steam, to make sure the Vanilla game is the starting point, and reapply the 4GB patch.

Correct 4GB patch

FNV 4GB Patcher by Roy Batty - LuthienAnarion

File in game folder is this

FalloutNVpatch.exe

Also which version of, NVSE are you using, that's changed since the guides last edit.

New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE)

Use this one
Download (beta version 5.1b2):

If this isn't your problem, I need specifics.

What are you running, and exactly when, does the crash happen, in the process.

Here's a pic, but ignore my path, which is the GOG version. So I don't use 4GB patch, and start NVSE instead. Not the game, as I show for you.

post-134143-0-60367700-1497905840_thumb.jpg

@Uhuru N´Uru,

first a big thank you! In fact I am using the patcher version you mentioned above, and NVSE is also the 5.1 beta 2.7.

As long as I start the game by clicking on one of the exe files in the game folder itself, everything is fine, the game continues. And it is a completely fresh installed game, no mods, no changes at any files til now, exept NVSE and 4gb patch.

So far so good. In the main folder now also reside MO and FNVEdit. The first time MO started the different executables without problems, but then, after I checked the game with FNVEdit, it won´t anymore.

So I returned to a cleaned game (using steam´s function for verifying game cache) and started the whole procedure again. FIrst NVSE and patch, then MO, then starting the game via MO.

Wonderful, it worked. So I put in a type 3 replacer and sorted with LOOT, started, and the game worked. Then I put in Robert´s male bodies, checked the right load order for the patches, sorted with LOOT again, everything was fine. I started the game and CTD.

I disabled all mods in MO, and started the game once more without MO, and this again worked without problems. I can use the launcher or one of the other files, it loads and runs.

But MO won´t start the game anymore. The last thing I did was erasing all logs from the MO logs folder, starting the game via MO. Then, after the awaited CTD I looked at the new logfile in the MO logs folder.

I can attach the logfile here tommorrow, if this may help, cause I am not able to see the information about the problem MO seems to have. I mean, it finds all relevant informations about the game, it finds the original executables, I added the NVSE starter manually, everything is okay. But it seems, MO don´t want me to make changes on game settings, not looking via tools nor installing mods... It only starts once.

But I am used to MO, I won´t change to another tool if not needed. With Skyrim and MO I never had any problems but my first stable bethesda game. This confuses me.

@arcticgale,

thank you. I am not sure, what you mean, but yes, all executables are availlable via MO, so if it starts, it starts a game with NVSE.

@all,

yesterday I deinstalled FNV, cleaned the registry and started again with a fresh installation. Maybe this was a good idea, as MO now starts the game, at least for now.

But FNV does like to confuse me. I own this game since years and never played it, cause I always had problems modding it. Now, that it is working, I have the next problems, as the installed type 3 body shows up ingame but not the textures. Is there anything important, I have to know about fomods and MO to get a texture appearing ingame?

And another problem is, that the FNV Launcher doesn´t show my graphics adapter but an onboard card. And not only this, also Skyrim lost its connection and tried to use the small onboard chip. In the end I changed settings again in NVidia experience. Then Skyrim and FNV showed only the onboard graphics but at least Skyrim used the 985 again.

FNV still says, there is no graphics adapter but at least it accepts a bigger resolution now.

My question here is: What message is right, the one of the launcher, that says "no graphics" or the one of NVidia, that says, all games are optimized?

Thanks again for any suggestion. I still hope, that I can get FNV running one day...

click tools icon (the most right)  -> workaround. see the load mechanism option, change it to Script Extender

That doesn't work, using new 4GB patch you must start the Games executable.

You make a good point, but with 4GB patch, it needs to be set to Mod Organizer, not Script Extender.

It's also a workaround, intended to force that method if, noprmal operations fail.

I've never had to force Load mechanism, and it should be set to MO, for Steam + latest 4GB Patch.

As far as issues go

FNVEdit CDT makes no sense if I understand it correctly

Starting FNVEdit, and closing it without changing anything with it, makes no changes, so there's no reason for MO not starting the game.

Can this be reproduced, with Verified Game, and confirm working MO lanch of that game with NVSE, and 4GB patch applied.

I can't explain this one. Unless, FNVEdit made changes to plugins.

Robert´s male bodies CDT

Installing type 3 replacer female body, doesn't usually include a plugin (ESM/ESP file), and that worked fine.

Robert's does have a plugin and then MO failed to load game.

Seeing as how this is a plugin, I assume by CDT, you mean game failed to load at all, but it makes a difference, if it CTD'd after loading.

Main Menu CTD, is different than a game startup CDT, missing master being the usual cause

Something is apparently wrong in your basic setup, despite your "following" the guide statements, we've all said that, and later found out we made a stupid mistake.

I'm an ex member of the MO support Team, and even I have made these sort of dumb mistakes, only when I went back to reread the basics, of modding, did I find out where I missed out a core step, so even though you think you've done it all, refreshing your learning is always best.

Did you cut and pate the Ini edits?, All originals must be removed,

Remember each MO Profile uses it's own Ini's, changing Vanilla Ini's won't work.

That also means non MO launches use vanilla ini.

The only suggestion I can make is follow the guide again from scratch, and that includes following the instructions for each installed program, from that tool, not the guide.

Refresh your modding basics, these are good, and of course the MO Docs, linked in my sig, and first post.

FNV General Mod Use Advice

Fallout NV Troubleshooting guide

@Uhuru N´Uru,

thanks again!

Like I mentioned above, I made a complete new installation.

The problem seems to include three things.

1) No graphics card detected again. In NVidia experience the game is optimized. Biggest screen: 1280, that´s it.

2) Body Type 3: The mesh is there but no textures. Both installed via MO.

So far the game worked with problems but worked.

3) I put in SKSE extender from here (LL), It worked. This one has an esp.

4) Then I put in FNVEdit, - well it worked. I changed nothing but all was okay afterwards this time.

5) Then i put in MCM and UIO. Sorted with Loot, started, CTD again.

To be honest, this is totally strange... I mean, this is a new install, it´s clean, I checked every step I did by starting the game, I changed no ini files as it wasn´t needed til now but still CTD as long as I use MO to start the game. Without MO it starts and works. NVSE version is 5, checked it.

The changing no Ini files is what's causing it< I think.
They are part of the Fear and Loathing Guide for a reason, which you said you'd followed.
Even if you edited them the first time, a complete restart means doing them again.

First delet the Vanilla Ini's, and Start the Loader, and set game settings as you require
Start game until the Fallout.ini, and FalloutPrefs.ini are regenarated, in default location
..\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV

In MO Create a new Profile called
Test

This generates copies of the Vanilla files, MO requires, and they are only used in that profile. Each Profile has they're own settings For you, likely here
..\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\ModOrganizer/profiles

You can edit these Ini files in MO, or using a Text Editor, but changes to the Vanilla Ini's are not applied, after creation.

THe without MO start has no mods, is vanilla, and doesn't need mod ini edits, so still works.
MO works without plugin mod, but adding them causes CTD, and you say you didn't change the Ini's

This ones vital, and you must make sure only one
bEnableFileSelection
Actually exists

• Allow additional plugins to be loaded.

FalloutPrefs.ini Tweaks

[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection = 1

I recommend applying all the Fear and Loathing ini's, and creating a default Profile, that can be copied, for any profile.

Fear and Loathing assumes you know how to use MO, so read the MO docs first, or check out the videos it provides,

Twice now when you've said you'veredone everything, you've skipped things because "it wasn't needed"

Bodies, are not the first F&L mods to install, and Ini edits come before mods.

It's very hard to figure out what's wrong, if you don't do things exactky as instructed, in the guide, when I;m assuming you're following it.

Every post I've asked you to explain when the CTD occurs, as it helps to know what's wromg, still not amswered that.

Busted! :blush:

Yep, I did read the whole thing until MO has to be installed, then I foolishly followed my experiences with MO and Skyrim. I did NOT read the section under the MO part, cause I thought, this would come later on. Thinkin´ is for horses, they have the bigger heads.... :blush:

Tomorrow I will do a new install, and then I will change the ini files according the STEP guide. And today I´ll read the whole thing first.

My reason to put in the type 3 body was, that it is a replacer without any esp. I will not stay with this for sure but it is a mod, where I can see directly, if it works. I don´t need anything else than starting the game.

Today I tried MCM cause this also should be visible at start.

To the CTD´s: I really don´t understand, what info you would need. I only can say, what I´ve said above. And it crashed before the main menu loaded. But I think, you´re completely right with your suggestion, cause "bEnableFileSelection = 1" looks to me as a very important step to make MO working, and this was something I definately did not...

Thank you again! :shy:

So, today I follwed the instructions of EssArrBee exactly, did all the ini changes in a new profile called Lilith (it´s present in the logfile). I installed all tools, gave MO access to all of the tools, checked the right load order for the addons with LOOT, and - CTD again before MainMenu could load..

Tools installed: LOOT, FNVEdit, FNVLodGen, Merge Plugins, WryeFlash

My game is on C:Games\Steam...

ModOrganizer.log

No Mods inside, really nothing, the simple vanilla game won´t start through MO.

So, today I follwed the instructions of EssArrBee exactly, did all the ini changes in a new profile called Lilith (it´s present in the logfile). I installed all tools, gave MO access to all of the tools, checked the right load order for the addons with LOOT, and - CTD again before MainMenu could load..

attachicon.gifModOrganizer.log

Could it be your antivirus preventing MO from hooking NV.exe? the guy here http://forum.step-project.com/topic/9345-mo-1311-makes-new-vegas-crash-on-startup/ have similar problem and he said the antivirus messed up the file or something

@arcticgale,

thank you for the hint. I will check this tomorrow, making an exeption for MO, maybe it helps.

If not, in the step thread, you´ve linked to, is a post with another option. A member wrote, that he was able to start FNV after he used an older version of MO. So I`d download the 1.3.10 with an update to 1.3.11. I will try it asap.

attachicon.gifModOrganizer.log

I can't read logs like an expert, but The last entry is the only error

Looks like you've might have a driver problem, in any event its not MO.

Last Line is

INFO (13:08:56.0560): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe" (a086b5). Last hooked call: unsigned long __stdcall GetFileAttributesW_rep(const wchar_t *)

Key extracts, I can see

Windows Exception (c0000005)

Origin: "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe" (a086b5)

Reason Vanilla doesn't get this issue, it's not hooking into the game like MO does, so the issue only shows up then.

You can check the Windows Event Viewer (in Admin Tools), that may give a clue.

Unfortunately it's no specific cause, and searching for Mod Organizer, and Windows Exception (c0000005), gives no results.

If the Device Manager + Windows Event Viewer doesn't help , a generic search, for the event is my last idea.

The fact I can't find any mention of MO, and this error, online, suggests it's not MO at all.

To many things cause this, over many years, so pinpointing the exact cause can be hard.

Make sure your drivers are up to date, and search for error + your devices (can be OS specific), to see if one has a problem.

@Uhuru N´Uru,

thank you! I did look into the above mentioned thread in the step forum. I am not the only one with this problem. Sadly all solutions from there did not work. I will try your suggestions but for now I am a bit tired of all this. Maybe I try it again with FOMM. I dislike changing anything inside the data folder but FOMM did work on my computer.

@arcticgale,

I am using win 7 like you, and until now I never had any problems like this.

I must admit, I lost my interest in playing this game for now. Maybe I will try to solve these problems one day again, at the moment I am tired and a little bit (or more) frustrated. Sorry! :(

Again: Thank you all for trying to help me!

Archived