Modding Skyrim - Where to start for a potential creator?

Hey folks, long time lurker, first time gabber. Looking to get into making mods. I have no real training in using programs like blender, 3dmax etc or coding and I was wondering if folks could point me in the right direction to start?

I'd love to able to make a race - an anthropomorphic one that would need a custom skeleton or at the least presets for a current, popular one like XMSE. I'd really love to add something for players who are looking for a custom race but maybe something a little less serious or isn't a new type of elf.

Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there is a lot of stumbling. It revolves around a lot of trial and error, reverse engineering, and community discussions. What I would do (and have done myself) is start small and try a bit of everything to see where your strengths are.

Making a new race, with custom skeletons and everything, is more advanced level, especially if you have no prior experience with it. You can, however, make a new race at a beginner level by cloning an existing one and changing things like racials, starting stats, starting spells, etc. If you're any good with GIMP or PS, you could make custom textures for the race as well.

It's very, very easy to have your brain expand mod ideas faster than your skills for them. You just have to learn to rein that in and take it in bite size pieces. Learn a little at a time and practice it. YouTube can also be a good resource for learning stuff. I've also found the community can be pretty helpful as well.

Archived