Question about Armor and variations for races.

Something I have been trying to figure out is how a single piece of armor is set up so that Argonians and Khajiit versions are used for those races instead of the default human/elf versions. I know you can set the race in the ArmorAddon and Armor sections but I am not sure how they relate to the use of the variations. Is it something Skyrim handles itself or are all three ArmorAddon types added to the Armor itself and it figures out which one to use.

You have to make separate ArmorAddons for each different mesh, and assign them to the proper races.

So, for example, for some piece of headgear you would have 3 AAs:

• HelmetAA; "whateverpath\helmet.nif"; assigned to all NPC races in the list like Nord, Breton, Dunmer, etc. except for beasts.
  • HelmetArgAA; "whateverpath\helmetargonian.nif"; assigned to ArgonianRace (and ArgonianRaceVampire).
  • HelmetKhajAA; "whateverpath\helmetkhajiit.nif"; assigned to KhajiitRace (and KhajiitRaceVampire).

Then you simply add all three AAs to the Armor entry itself, and it should show up with the fitting meshes for each race.

EDIT: so, I guess it would be Option B as you pointed it out: "all three ArmorAddon types added to the Armor itself and it figures out which one to use".

EDIT 2: not sure I should, but I have to ask: does this inquiry mean we could see some progress on Devious Devices support for beast races at some point? 'Cause that would be great.

I'll admit I don't really like DD stuff that much per-se, but it's the (otherwise understandable) lack of beast race support that truly puts me off from giving it a try. If such support was added, I would certainly be happy to give more DD content a chance. I thought I should bring it up, for what it may be worth  :shy:.

Sorry if I got ahead of myself with this, but I figured I might as well ask.

EDIT 2: not sure I should, but I have to ask: does this inquiry mean we could see some progress on Devious Devices support for beast races at some point? 'Cause that would be great.

I'll admit I don't really like DD stuff that much per-se, but it's the (otherwise understandable) lack of beast race support that truly puts me off from giving it a try. If such support was added, I would certainly be happy to give more DD content a chance. I thought I should bring it up, for what it may be worth  :shy:.

I actually asked whether or not beast support would come any time soon over at the assets thread, and simply out of impatience I tried making my own versions through Outfit Studio, and I'd love to release it, but as Kimy noted a few posts below the linked post, I'd need permission from someone before uploading it, and since Zadil has gone M.I.A for the time being, I'd need permission off of somebody else, I just don't know who.

My goal is to expand DD to those that have not been able to use it due to race or sex (even if the dev team doesn't support it)

I have supported DD for Him for some time and am trying to implement Vivi's Cockcage for the men. I was able to get around the corset/belt issue by changing the corset script so it always uses the normal corset and the belt is kept separate, there is some clipping but some adjustments in bodyslide could fix that (though it may leave the belt looking loose). The cockcage has versions for humans and both beast races. I was looking to add support for futa/shemales but would need to get into SOS and be able to detect if they are one and manipulate the schlong model used as the standard female version available does not fit in the cage correctly.

As for beast races the main reason Zadil didn't do them is his lack of interest in them. I understand that modders prefer to work on what they like seeing as most DD modders have ignored male content or have not at least given alternate dialogue for them (CD has male and female dialogue in most all areas). I have messaged Zadil (no idea if or when I will get a response) but seeing as permission was given for DD for Him items I don't see that it would be a problem. I would ask that (if possible) that you do both male and female versions of the items. I am also willing to help with adding them into the game if you need it. If I receive a response I will let you know.

I actually asked whether or not beast support would come any time soon over at the assets thread, and simply out of impatience I tried making my own versions through Outfit Studio, and I'd love to release it, but as Kimy noted a few posts below the linked post, I'd need permission from someone before uploading it, and since Zadil has gone M.I.A for the time being, I'd need permission off of somebody else, I just don't know who.

My goal is to expand DD to those that have not been able to use it due to race or sex (even if the dev team doesn't support it) [...]

Awesome! Really looking forward to this, hope all goes well and it's eventually released. Also, glad to hear male support is intended as well, that's always nice.

The only issues Zadil had with variations on his items was that thy not be included in the Assets mod as it was for items that only he made, that is why the DD Expansion was created.

As for DD itself only 2 people were involved with DD before I was and that was Zadil and Min, the first development team consisted of the three of us. I helped write the original quest (outlined and wrote basic dialogue) and tested DDi before release while I made For the Masses. If you look in the scripts you will see FtM mentioned as DDi was intended for the player only but I got Min to expand it, besides FtM made for a great stress test for DDi. I sill have some of the original DDa and DDi beta files.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to make separate ArmorAddons for each different mesh, and assign them to the proper races.

So, for example, for some piece of headgear you would have 3 AAs:

• HelmetAA; "whateverpath\helmet.nif"; assigned to all NPC races in the list like Nord, Breton, Dunmer, etc. except for beasts.
  • HelmetArgAA; "whateverpath\helmetargonian.nif"; assigned to ArgonianRace (and ArgonianRaceVampire).
  • HelmetKhajAA; "whateverpath\helmetkhajiit.nif"; assigned to KhajiitRace (and KhajiitRaceVampire).

Then you simply add all three AAs to the Armor entry itself, and it should show up with the fitting meshes for each race.

EDIT: so, I guess it would be Option B as you pointed it out: "all three ArmorAddon types added to the Armor itself and it figures out which one to use".

Thanks for the help on this, I was able to get my project working. I have made DD versions of Vivi's Cock Cages which includes beast races. I did have to do some scripting to disconnect the corset from the belts though so normal belts will be equipped separately instead of combining into one mesh as it does now so some clipping occurs. I have messaged Vivi to see if they want to add it to their mod's download section or if they want me to release it separately or if they would they rather I didn't (I don't see a reason why they wouldn't though).

If you want to do a collaboration on the gags I would be happy to help and get it released and lend any support I can. Zadil gave permission for his items to be used with DD for Him and I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to release these as all he wanted was any derivatives not be included in Assets. I am nor sure how you have them set up but I can help set them up so they can override whatever colors of gags you have (if they use standard textures then all of them could be done).

If you want to do a collaboration on the gags I would be happy to help and get it released and lend any support I can. Zadil gave permission for his items to be used with DD for Him and I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to release these as all he wanted was any derivatives not be included in Assets. I am nor sure how you have them set up but I can help set them up so they can override whatever colors of gags you have (if they use standard textures then all of them could be done).

I've already done a plugin, all items, including those from expansion are integrated into a plugin and working along with the human variants, except the bridle gags for the time being. All I am missing is the collars for Khajiit, and possibly redoing the Argonian harness gags, because they don't look too good (notice the ring on the forehead being all bendy-like on the original post).

Sounds like you are nearly complete. Are these just female or did you do both sexes?

Only female at the moment, though I may be able to do male variants as well... Which means I have to mess with the panel gag effects again :dodgy:

It would be preferred and since permission was given to do male variations of his items there would be less issues if someone wanted to make a big deal over the permissions. Also, there are a lot of people who have been wanting beast race support for both males and females so it would make a lot of people happy.

Archived